Official NFL Thread 2008-09 Super Bowl 43 - Pitt 27 Ariz 23

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Tighthead
Legend

I think TO was remarkable restrained not to murder Brad Johnson yesterday.

How many rings does Randy Moss have? Ladanian Tomlinson? Donovan McNabb? Clinton Portis?

Seattle is having one of those years with too much bad luck. You can only sustain so many injuries. It is tough to just start fresh the next year though - you lose all the continuity.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Broncos beat Browns, not a surprise to pick beforehand but the Browns gaves this one away, IMO. Brady Quinn looked good. Dropped balls at the wrong times. But thats what his predecessor went through too! Looks like there will be Thursday Night games the rest of the way! I am amazed at how well these teams played considering they played Sunday too. Well they get some time to heal up until their next game now.....
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

NFL Point Spreads For Week 10 - Week Ten NFL Football Point Spread - NFL Spreads 11/9 - 11/10, 2008

Date & Time Favorite Spread Underdog

11/9 1:00 ET Jacksonville -6.5 At Detroit
11/9 1:00 ET Tennessee -3 At Chicago
11/9 1:00 ET At New England -3.5 Buffalo
11/9 1:00 ET At Atlanta -1 New Orleans
11/9 1:00 ET At NY Jets -8.5 St. Louis
11/9 1:00 ET At Miami -8.5 Seattle
11/9 1:00 ET At Minnesota -2.5 Green Bay
11/9 4:05 ET Carolina -9 At Oakland
11/9 4:15 ET At San Diego -15 Kansas City
11/9 4:15 ET At Pittsburgh -3 Indianapolis
11/9 8:15 ET At Philadelphia -3 NY Giants
11/9 1:00 ET Baltimore -1 At Houston

Monday Night Football Point Spread

11/10 8:35 ET At Arizona -9.5 San Francisco

Byes: Cincinnati, Dallas, Tampa Bay, Washington

Seahawks (2-6-0)
Dolphins (4-4-0)

SEA: M.Hasselbeck (58-118,656) , J.Jones (113-509)
MIA: C.Pennington (163-242,1991) , R.Brown (118-465)

Parcells would seem to be ahead of schedule in rebuilding the Dolphins.

Packers (4-4-0)
Vikings (4-4-0)

GB: A.Rodgers (167-262,1982) , R.Grant (157-550)
MIN: G.Frerotte (114-198,1468) , A.Peterson (176-823)

It used to be the Black and Blue division. Now it is more like the mediocre division.

Titans (8-0-0)
Bears (5-3-0)

TEN: K.Collins (117-207,1236) , C.Johnson (146-715)
CHI: K.Orton (151-244,1777) , M.Forte (169-641)

Tennessee is on a great roll.

Bills (5-3-0)
Patriots (5-3-0)

BUF: T.Edwards (151-222,1725) , M.Lynch (132-466)
NE: M.Cassel (156-233,1566) , S.Morris (69-307)

Good matchup.

Colts (4-4-0)
Steelers (6-2-0)

IND: P.Manning (183-294,2008) , D.Rhodes (73-262)
PIT: B.Roethlisberger (114-198,1402) , W.Parker (87-333)

The Steelers are tough, year in and year out.

Giants (7-1-0)
Eagles (5-3-0)

NYG: E.Manning (153-250,1735) , B.Jacobs (131-680)
PHI: D.McNabb (182-288,2178) , B.Westbrook (96-422)

A heavyweight battle for sure.

I've got the Dolphins, Vikings, Titans, Patriots and Eagles.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
I've got the Dolphins, Vikings, Titans, Patriots and Eagles.
I'd pick the same except Giants over the Eagles. Before the season started I'd have circled the Colts/Steelers matchup. I'm gonna keep the Terribletowellers happy, and pick the Colts (I'm 0-fer picking against Pitts.)

I think this weeks Monday Nighter doesn't look that good on paper, IMO. Therefore, it will probably be worth watching.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I enjoyed the slate of NFL (maybe I'm still in such a good mood after yesterdays Lions win!!!). Seattle still lost but showed glimpses of getting better, but they still lost. Titans kept the streak going.... I really enjoyed the Steelers/Colts game. Long drives by both teams, it was bonehead picks that gave the game to Indy, IMO. Harrison really looked ordinary, is this it for him? The Eagles/Giants game has been another good game. We'll see how it turns out. Next week the sunday nighter is also a NFC East matchup----Cowboys/Redskins! Looking forward to it already, this division is usually worth watching.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Seahawks (2-7-0) 0 7 6 6 19
Dolphins (5-4-0) 7 7 0 7 21

SEA: S. Wallace (21-38, 185) , J. Jones (16-88)
MIA: C. Pennington (22-36, 209) , R. Williams (12-105)

Seahawks suck. Have another hamburger and fries, Holmgren.

Packers (4-5-0) 7 3 14 3 27
Vikings (5-4-0) 7 7 7 7 28

GB: A. Rodgers (15-26, 142) , R. Grant (16-75)
MIN: G. Frerotte (15-28, 151) , A. Peterson (30-192)

Peterson must be the best back in the league.

Titans (9-0-0) 0 7 7 7 21
Bears (5-4-0) 7 0 0 7 14

TEN: K. Collins (30-41, 289) , B. Jones (8-82)
CHI: R. Grossman (20-37, 173) , M. Forte (20-72)

Titans keep on rolling.

Bills (5-4-0) 0 3 0 7 10
Patriots (6-3-0) 7 3 3 7 20

BUF: T. Edwards (13-23, 120) , M. Lynch (14-46)
NE: M. Cassel (23-34, 234) , W. Welker (10-107)

Cassel doing well in the absence of Brady.

Colts (5-4-0) 7 7 3 7 24
Steelers (6-3-0) 7 10 0 3 20

IND: P. Manning (21-40, 240) , R. Wayne (6-114)
PIT: B. Roethlisberger (30-42, 284) , H. Ward (9-116)

Excellent win by the Colts against the very tough Steelers.

Giants (8-1-0) 10 10 7 9 36
Eagles (5-4-0) 7 10 7 7 31

NYG: E. Manning (17-31, 191) , B. Jacobs (22-126)
PHI: D. McNabb (17-36, 194) , D. Jackson (4-61)

Heavyweight battle. Decision to the Giants.
Ballistic Bob
Legend

Boomer is giving props to Lions vs Wheaties on Saturday. Kyle Green and Brian Phillips were highlighted. Nice to see CFL highlights on the Show. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Ballistic Bob wrote:Boomer is giving props to Lions vs Wheaties on Saturday. Kyle Green and Brian Phillips were highlighted. Nice to see CFL highlights on the Show. BB
:whs: The only complaint I had is the clip opened with a Roughrider hoisting the Grey Cup!
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

NFL Point Spreads For Week 11 - NFL Spreads 11/13 - 11/17, 2008

11/13 8:15 ET At New England -3 NY Jets
11/16 1:00 ET At Atlanta -6 Denver
11/16 1:00 ET At Miami -10.5 Oakland
11/16 1:00 ET At NY Giants -6.5 Baltimore
11/16 1:00 ET At Indianapolis -8.5 Houston
11/16 4:15 ET Tennessee -3 At Jacksonville
11/16 1:00 ET At Green Bay -4 Chicago
11/16 1:00 ET Philadelphia -9 At Cincinnati
11/16 1:00 ET New Orleans -5.5 At Kansas City
11/16 1:00 ET At Carolina -14 Detroit
11/16 1:00 ET At Tampa Bay -3.5 Minnesota
11/16 4:05 ET At San Francisco -6 St. Louis
11/16 4:05 ET Arizona -3 At Seattle
11/16 4:15 ET At Pittsburgh -5 San Diego
11/16 8:15 ET Dallas -1.5 At Washington

11/17 8:35 ET At Buffalo -5 Cleveland
GAME OF THE WEEK: Jets at Patriots (Thursday night)

As long as the NFL Network guys restrain the media's unhealthy, painfully annoying man love of Brett Favre for one night, I am really looking forward to the rare Thursday night game that actually features two good football teams.

There is, of course, the underlying storyline of the tense relationship between Eric Mangini and Bill Belichick, which only adds to the intrigue in this battle for first in the wide open AFC East. Will the coaches play nice afterwards, in what will be their most meaningful regular-season meeting to date?

I really feel as if Mangini's conservative gameplan cost the Jets a shot at the victory in the meeting at the Meadowlands in Week Two. He needs to let Favre attack what has turned out to be one of the Patriots' strengths in 2008, their pass defense.

On the other sideline, Matt Cassel continues to improve, and Belichick is slowly loosening the reigns on his one-time backup quarterback. Hopefully, you have NFL Network as part of your cable package so you can watch what should be a dandy tomorrow night. I'm excited.

My pick: Patriots 20 Jets 17.

Other top games

Broncos at Falcons

Buckle your seatbelts for what should turn out to be a high-scoring, low-defense type of affair. Denver and Atlanta are in the top six in terms of total offense and bottom ten in total defense.

The Broncos seemed to regain some momentum with last Thursday's win in the Dawg Pound, but can they turn around after the long week and make another successful long road trip? It will be difficult, considering the fact that the Falcons' and Matt Ryan's confidence grows with each passing win.
I'll tell you what: I wish I was able to watch this game on Sunday, but I am stuck with another good one in Baltimore-New York.

Vikings at Buccaneers

Minnesota is on a roll right now, with their only loss since September being that 48-41 barnburner against the Bears at Soldier Field. They will face a rested Buccaneers squad that has thus far exceeded my expectations in 2008. But I guess you can never count out a Jon Gruden team.

The defenses will decide this game, as both units are among the best in professional football. Neither gives up a lot of yards on the ground, and both offenses like to move the ball in that fashion. This very well could turn out to be the lowest scoring game of Week 11, as two former NFC Central foes looking to improve their position in the NFC race duke it out.

Ravens at Giants

This week's top games seem to showcase opponents with similar styles. You have the explosiveness of Denver and Atlanta, the run defenses of Minnesota and Tampa Bay, and then the outright physicality of the Ravens and Giants. There's a reason these teams are No. 2 and No. 3 in yards given up per game and fifth and sixth in points allowed.

If you like hard-hitting, defensive football, grab a cold beverage and sit back to enjoy this rematch of Super Bowl XXXV. I'm especially interested to track the progress of Joe Flacco, who I have not seen play a full game since the matchup with the Steelers at Heinz Field in Week Four. He played well against a tough defense that night, so let's see what the G-Men have in store.

Bears at Packers

Just seeing the words "Bears at Packers" makes me want to get up from the computer and hit something. This is a great rivalry that often gets overshadowed by what the NFC East offers, but rarely does it have much importance in the postseason picture.

Typically, at least during the Super Bowl era, while the Bears were up, the Packers stunk, and vice versa. In 2008, Chicago is tied with Minnesota for first in the North, with Green Bay just a game back, so each contest is especially important. Both teams are near the top of the league in +/- turnover margin, so whichever offense is the least careless with the ball should walk away with the victory.

Cowboys at Redskins (Sunday night)

Fans of America's Team, rejoice: Our savior is back after three full games of having to stomach Brad Johnson! At the very least, Tony Romo's presence should allow the Cowboys to stay with the Redskins, assuming the defense regressed during the bye week (and I wouldn't put it past a Wade Phillips-coached unit).

It will be intriguing to see if he can integrate Roy Williams into the passing game, because even though the Redskins secondary is deep, they would have issues defending Witten, T.O., and Williams all at the same time. Dallas needs this game desperately if they want to make a second half push, and I am afraid if they lose all hell will break loose in Valley Ranch.

AND THE REST

Raiders at Dolphins

With Oakland coming to town, the Dolphins have a great shot of extending their winning streak to four games before the Patriots come to south Florida next week in a key AFC East tilt. Considering the way both the offense and defense are clicking, that should not be much of an issue against a Raiders team that: a. has given up (can you blame them?), and b. wasn't very good to begin with. Making the cross-country trek will only lessen their motivation to win.

Texans at Colts

Houston hasn't won on the road since last November, and has never won in Indianapolis. In fact, they've only won one of the 13 total meetings between the AFC South foes. To multiply their issues, last week may have been the game that turned the Colts' season around, going into Pittsburgh and pushing around a good Steelers' defense. Indy is not going to be able to keep their AFC South title streak alive, but taking a wild-card spot remains a solid possibility.

Saints at Chiefs

A lot of talk this week has surrounded Herm Edwards' decision to go for two at the end of the Chiefs' game in San Diego in an effort to win and avoid overtime. It may have failed, but why not? You are 1-7 at the time, can't score, and can't stop people. Why throw away the chance at a rare victory when you'd probably just lose it OT anyways? New Orleans comes calling to Arrowhead this week, and boy do the Saints need a win.

Lions at Panthers

Is anyone else getting excited about the meeting between the potentially winless Lions and potentially undefeated Titans on Thanksgiving? I'm not too worried about the Lions holding up their end of the deal with Carolina and Tampa Bay the next two weeks, but you never know. Jake Delhomme played very poorly against Oakland a week ago, but Detroit's defense will provide the purrfect remedy for that.

Eagles at Bengals

I am going to throw this out there: If the Eagles miss the playoffs, Andy Reid should be fired. The guy proved on Sunday night that he is a complete idiot, running the ball on 4th-and-1 in the final minutes and failing miserably.
Since when did the Eagles become a running team? I'm sure he will pour some water on the fire seeing how they are playing the Bengals this week, but if they lose, we're liable to see this blaze grow into the size of the Great Chicago Fire.

Rams at 49ers

The sad thing here is these 2-7 teams were once two proud franchises who shared a strong intrastate rivalry that often played a role in deciding the NFC West. One squad was in L.A., the other upstate in San Francisco.
The 'Niners dominated the league and this rivalry in the '80s and '90s before the Rams headed east, but this decade, neither team has found much for their fans to be proud of. And it may stay that way for some time.

Cardinals at Seahawks
Seattle will finally have Matt Hasselbeck under center this Sunday, although it may be too little too late. Considering the fact they are four games behind Arizona, the Seahawks likely need to win out (which includes both meetings with the Cardinals) just to have a shot. And with the Patriots, Jets, Cowboys, and Redskins on the remaining schedule, good luck with that. I don't suspect a 2-7 team has ever rebounded to make the playoffs, so it's not going to start happening now.

Chargers at Steelers

Back at the beginning of the season, this was viewed as a mid-November showdown between a couple of the potential AFC contenders. 10 weeks later, and it is still a big game, but for much different reasons. San Diego is struggling, and much like Indy last week, could use a victory at Heinz Field in order to potentially right the ship. LaDainian Tomlinson's struggles have hindered this team all year, and against a staunch Pittsburgh defense, that will likely continue.

Titans at Jaguars

Don't count out the Jaguars as a potential spoiler to the Titans thus far purrfect season. Jacksonville is 4-5, but they can play the smash-mouth, defensive game that Tennessee employs and turn this into a 13-10 game that is decided by one play. Both teams are coming off one of their better offensive outputs of 2008, with the Jaguars deepening Detroit's misery and Tennessee finding a passing game against a tough Bears defense.

Browns at Bills (Monday night)

Buffalo is suddenly on shaky ground after getting swept by their divisional foes, so they need to get back on track in front of a national audience on MNF. A streaky, but talented, Cleveland team should provide them that opportunity, especially considering the fact that there was some finger pointing going on in the Browns' locker room over whether certain players quit or not last Thursday against Denver.

Team dissension is a surefire sign things are going to soon get out of hand for Romeo Crennel and his staff that may end with him looking for employment.
I'm gonna take New England, Miami and Washington
notahomer
Hall of Famer

It's Pepto Week for me (upset week).

I'm gonna take Jacksonville to knock off the unbeaten Titans
Baltimore over the NY Giants
And......SEAHAWKS over the Cardinals
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:It's Pepto Week for me (upset week).

I'm gonna take Jacksonville to knock off the unbeaten Titans
Baltimore over the NY Giants
And......SEAHAWKS over the Cardinals
I lost my 3 picks, and it looks like you did too, notahomer. A bad week for us, especially with the Lions loss to the Stampeders.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote: I lost my 3 picks, and it looks like you did too, notahomer. A bad week for us, especially with the Lions loss to the Stampeders.
the Lions loss hurt the most. I really could see all of my underdog picks winning but I pitched an
O-fer
The Titans were actually looking beatable for a bit. Holmgren has just gotta be pulling his hair out (like me, whats left of the hair, anyways). I really do think this has been a strange year for the NFL.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Well on paper tonights game looks like a MISS. Bengals/Steelers. Should be an easy win for Pittsburgh. But thats why they play the games....
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:Well on paper tonights game looks like a MISS. Bengals/Steelers. Should be an easy win for Pittsburgh. But thats why they play the games....
Bengals playing well, up 7 - 0. It's snowing in Pittsburgh. It looks beautiful.

Where did that guy come up with the name Ocho Cinco?

Just looked it up on the Wik: "He legally changed his surname from Johnson to Ocho Cinco prior to the 2008 regular season to reflect his Bengals uniform number.[4]"

He's messed in the head. :lol:

NFL Point Spreads For Week 12 - NFL Spreads 11/20 - 11/24, 2008

11/20 8:15 ET At Pittsburgh -11.5 Cincinnati
11/23 1:00 ET At Cleveland -3 Houston
11/23 1:00 ET Buffalo -3 At Kansas City
11/23 1:00 ET At Tennessee -5.5 NY Jets
11/23 1:00 ET At Miami -1 New England
11/23 1:00 ET At Dallas -10 San Francisco
11/23 1:00 ET Tampa Bay -8.5 At Detroit
11/23 1:00 ET At Baltimore -1 Philadelphia
11/23 1:00 ET Chicago -8.5 At St. Louis
11/23 1:00 ET At Jacksonville -2 Minnesota
11/23 4:15 ET At Atlanta -1 Carolina
11/23 4:05 ET At Denver -9.5 Oakland
11/23 4:15 ET Washington -3.5 At Seattle
11/23 4:15 ET NY Giants -3 At Arizona
11/23 8:15 ET At San Diego -3 Indianapolis

11/24 8:35 ET At New Orleans -2.5 Green Bay

I'll take the Giants, Redskins, and Jaguars.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I've still got that 'underdog' perspective. I'll take the Jets, Colts and Seahawks

I wouldn't be willing to think Seahawk except its at home, maybe Matt will be better in his 2nd week back. I really would like to see the Colts/Chargers game but I think it will be late 3rd quarter at best by the time I check that one out. The Sunday Nighters have been good the past month in my opinion but NO NFL matchup is going to get me to miss the Grey Cup.