Official NFL Thread: 2013-2014 Season

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Very nice recollection, SP. Thank you.

Some impressions ...

Walsh with the wonderful planning and teaching. Building an offence. Building a team. "Raising the standard of performance."

Walsh communicating with Montana. Montana paying close attention. Walsh confident. Montana so very, very relaxed, so in to the moment without any panic whatsoever. Montana so mobile, like a gazelle, feet so light on the ground.

Clark's catch? Nice. I always thought it was somewhat overblown as to its greatness. Key and clutch of course. But the athleticism, while pretty good, was not specatacular IMO. He jumps. He catches. Slam dunk height? Sure. But not top of the backboard. LOL

Back and forth game. Dallas was full value. San Francisco was full value. Great Game. Great transition from one great franchise to the next.

I recall Tom Landry being somewhat puzzled at the outcome. Something to the effect of "It has to be Montana. There is nothing else there." LOL Landry had underrated Walsh. The next decade showed the brilliance of Bill Walsh.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

The Catch ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.nytimes.com/1982/01/12/sport ... ed-on.html

Quote ...
''Montana has to be the key. There's nothing else there except him.''
And Paul Brown underestimated Bill Walsh also.
Sports of The Times; Man Paul Brown Passed On

DAVE ANDERSON

Published: January 12, 1982

SAN FRANCISCO— I N another of the quirks of fate that often govern sports, Bill Walsh, the 49er coach, now has an opportunity in Super Bowl XVI to remind Paul Brown that the Cincinnati Bengals' creator made a mistake six years ago in choosing his own successor.

At the time Paul Brown finally had decided to stop coaching at age 67. Three decades earlier Paul Brown had organized the Cleveland Browns, the team nicknamed in his honor. Later he had assembled the Bengals' expansion franchise. But when the 1975 season ended, he no longer wanted to prowl the sidelines in his snap-brim hat.

As an organization man, Paul Brown, now just a vice president and the general manager, surely would select one of his assistant coaches for the big job. On his staff was a bright quarterback tutor named Bill Walsh.

But no, Paul Brown named Bill (Tiger) Johnson instead. Bill Walsh was disappointed. Annoyed at being passed over, he applied for the Jets job that Lou Holtz eventually got. And then, in a quiet protest, Bill Walsh moved to the San Diego Chargers as their offensive coach.

''When that happened,'' says someone familiar with the Bengals' situation then, ''Paul Brown told Bill that he would never be a head coach in the N.F.L.''

Paul Brown obviously underestimated Bill Walsh's talent. In only three seasons, Bill Walsh has lifted the 49ers from a 2-14 record to the National Conference championship and a Super Bowl matchup with Paul Brown's Bengals at the Silverdome in Pontiac, Mich., a week from Sunday. But outwardly at least, there are no embers of revenge smoldering under Bill Walsh's silver hair. ''It was a great experience for me to be wi th the Bengal organization for eight years,'' he was saying yesterday. ''I wouldn'tbe where I am now if not for the many lessons I learned in Paul Brown's organization.''

Five weeks ago Bill Walsh used some of those lessons in the 49ers' 21-3 victory at Cincinnati during the regular season. ''I had aspirations for the Bengal job, I had hopes,'' Bill Walsh acknowledged. ''But there was no bitterness toward Tiger Johnson, who was a very competent coach and a very good friend of mine. No bitterness on my part at all, only vast disappointment.''

As it turned out, Tiger Johnson was not a very competent head coach. He soon was dismissed and then Paul Brown made another questionable choice, Homer Rice, before hiring his current coach, Forrest Gregg, once discharged by the Browns.

But when Bill Walsh was a candidate for the Jets job, he felt that Paul Brown's decision to name Tiger Johnson affected him, too. ''I was one of two finalists for the Jets job, the other was Lou Holtz, of course,'' Bill Walsh recalled. ''And what hurt my chances for the Jets job, I believe, was the Jets figuring how could I be a very good head coach if Paul Brown has passed me over when he needed a head coach.''

Lou Holtz did not even finish the 1976 season with the Jets; he resigned to go to the University of Arkansas. And in 1977 Bill Walsh took over as Stanford's head coach.

''Believe me, I didn't go to Stanford as a stepping stone to the N.F.L.,'' he said. ''I would have been perfectly happy there the rest of my career, but in 1979 the 49er job opened up and here I am. Working eight years for the Bengals helped put me here. Some coaches change jobs so often all they learn are the names of the players and they're gone. But over eight years in the same system, you learn to refine your ability as a teacher, a technician and a practitioner.''

His ability was never more apparent than during the 49ers' 89-yard drive for the winning touchdown in their 28-27 victory Sunday over the Dallas Cowboy s.

In a third-and-3 situation at the Cowboys' 6-yard line, the quarterback, Joe Montana, sprinted out to his right and fired a pass that appeared to be on its way beyond the end zone until Dwight Clark leaped and caught it with only 51 seconds remaining. Moments later the 49er defense recovered Danny White's fumble after the Cowboy quarterback had been sacked near midfield. And the N.F.L.'s most frustrated franchise had won its first conference title.

''The 49ers are not a better team than us, but the game ended at the right time for them,'' the Cowboy coach, Tom Landry, said later. ''Montana has to be the key. There's nothing else there except him.''

That is an unusual putdown for the usually gracious Tom Landry, but the Cowboy coach was understandably angry. For the second consecutive season the Cowboys had lost the N.F.C. championship. And for all their fame and reputation, the Cowboys now have lost more N.F.C. championship games than they have won. Six defeats, five victories.

Over the last 16 seasons, the Cowboys have qualified for the N.F.C. championship game 11 times. And they have gone on to the Super Bowl a record five times. But they have lost six other Super Bowl chances - here Sunday, to Philadelphia a year ago, to Minnesota in 1973, to Washington in 1972 and to Green Bay in both 1967 and 1966.

Some pro football people considered this season's Cowboys to be the best team in the franchise's history. But it's not in Super Bowl XVI. Perhaps that is why the Cowboys appeared more disappointed than expected. More deflated really. Asked if Sunday's loss had been ''the worst Cowboy defeat,'' Harvey Martin, the long-time defensive end, muttered, ''Yes, this was the worst.''

The worst weather, of course, was in Cincinnati, where the Bengals won the American Conference title, 27-7, from the San Diego Chargers who appeared to be frozen solid in 9-below-zero temperatures and a 59-below-zero wind-chill factor.

It was so cold in Cincinnati that Commissioner Pete Rozelle even considered postponing the game. He should have postponed it. Football in such weather is inhuman, not only for the players, but also for the spectators.

But the Arctic weather in Cincinnati should not be used as an argument to schedule the conference championship games at a warm-weather site. The Super Bowl is a festival that demands a warm-weather site or a domed stadium to accommodate long-range plans. But the conference championship games belong to the fans of the teams that earn a home-field advantage.

Yes, the weather in Cincinnati was inhuman. But to take that game away from the Bengals' loyalists would be even more inhuman.

notahomer
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:Saw this in the NYT yesterday from Nate Jackson (a former marginal NFLer who's into a second career as a writer). ...
I read his book a few months ago and it was interesting. Nothing earthshattering but still these kinds of 'inside' type books can be a good read. I think its important too that the stories come from the 'marginal' players as they have a different experience than the superstars.

WestCoastJoe wrote:....Clark's catch? Nice. I always thought it was somewhat overblown as to its greatness. Key and clutch of course. But the athleticism, while pretty good, was not specatacular IMO. ....

Back and forth game. Dallas was full value. San Francisco was full value. Great Game. Great transition from one great franchise to the next.

I recall Tom Landry being somewhat puzzled at the outcome. Something to the effect of "It has to be Montana. There is nothing else there." LOL Landry had underrated Walsh. The next decade showed the brilliance of Bill Walsh.
Yes, it did seem overblown. Still is, IMO....

The back/forth of the game? Its really weird for me now. At the time I loved both teams and was sorry one had to lose. Now I dislike them both (Cowboys probably more so :cool: ).

At the time I certainly didn't appreciate Walsh and it wasn't until later I understood how much of an impact he had. Not quite the same, but I watched the Parcells episode of 'a football life' the other day and its amazing looking at the legacy he has based on not only what he did AS A HEAD COACH but the people he's impacted as players and coaches. Certainly Walsh is a EVEN better example of that but it was neat to see in Parcells too. (side babble-I haven't seen MANY of the football life episodes but I intend to watch every one someday as I have not been dissappointed yet!).

Those comments do seem Un-Landry-like. I really respected him and was so ANGRY when he got fired but looking back it was time, I guess.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Someone (sj-roc, IIRC) mentioned retired NFL-er Nate Jackson's new writing career. Here is a link to his book.....

http://vpl.bibliocommons.com/item/show/ ... getting_up

Here is a link to a book I'm waiting for from the Vancouver library that showcases 150 football stadiums......

http://vpl.bibliocommons.com/item/show/ ... l_stadiums

and finally, for now :wink: a book about science/football

http://vpl.bibliocommons.com/item/show/ ... s_football
South Pender
Legend

notahomer wrote:Those comments do seem Un-Landry-like. I really respected him and was so ANGRY when he got fired but looking back it was time, I guess.
Yeah...I hadn't known about those comments. Really churlish, and, as you say, nota, un-Landry-like--at least in terms of the image I had of Tom Landry. Landry, more than most people, knows that games aren't won or lost by one player. Perhaps said in the throes of a tremendously-disappointing loss, and words he later regretted saying.

Actually, I've always kind of liked the 49ers during and after the Bill Walsh era. I was really hoping for a 49ers win over the Ravens last year, and, if the Seahawks don't make it to the SB, I'll be cheering for the Niners. For me, they are the enemy (of the 'Hawks) up to the point that either they can't stand in the way of the 'Hawks or they have beaten them; then my perspective changes. Same as for this year's Grey Cup game. Hated the Riders as long as they were in the way of the Lions, but, after the Lions were out, I was hoping the Riders would beat the Ti-cats. Someone on a CFL thread said that this was hypocritical, but, if you look a little deeper, I don't think it is.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:
notahomer wrote:Those comments do seem Un-Landry-like. I really respected him and was so ANGRY when he got fired but looking back it was time, I guess.
Yeah...I hadn't known about those comments. Really churlish, and, as you say, nota, un-Landry-like--at least in terms of the image I had of Tom Landry. Landry, more than most people, knows that games aren't won or lost by one player. Perhaps said in the throes of a tremendously-disappointing loss, and words he later regretted saying.
SP and nota,

I think the Landry comments were a bit out of context, as they appear. Heat of the moment. Talking about the loss. Answering a pointed question. He knew how good his own team was. And he could not see anywhere near as much talent on the 49ers. I don't think his comment was directed at Bill Walsh per se.

The 49ers were a surprise team, seemingly from out of nowhere. But one would notice Montana, and his dynamic effect on a game. I always felt Landry was agonizing over the missed chance with his own very talented team, not so much sniping at his opponent. He seemed puzzled. And I am sure he regretted the comment.

As we know Walsh built a team loaded with talent. And the cast changed over time with continued great success.

nota, re Parcells ...

Another outstanding coach. Very different from Walsh. Almost old style. But the players bought in heart and soul.

I would like to find time to see those shows you mention.

What are they called? Where are they shown? Buyable?

re Tom Landry ... Totally gracious guy. One of my faves. As a fan of his, and of the 49ers, I was surprised by his comment. But I never took it as a shot at the other coach, or even at individual players on the 49ers. He was just shaking his head, wondering how his so very talented group could be beaten by a team with seemingly far less talent. (Of course Montana was a sudden star, a revelation. And Bill Walsh was the ultimate quarterback whisperer.)

(Different paragraph for the guy that fired Landry.) Dismissed by the totally boorish Jerry Jones, who has that huge ego that he drags around like an anchor. One of the most disgusting comments I ever heard him make was after a Super Bowl victory. He was thanking his wife for her support. But ... it came out as "she worships the ground I walk on." Even as he thanks her, his ego turns the moment into a head shaker. Clumsy words, but representative of the man.

notahomer
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote: ......I would like to find time to see those shows you mention.
"A Football Life" is a recurring series shown on the NFL network. The premiere of season one was a two part show on Bill Belichek. IIRC, the NFL network is showing season three right now and the Parcells show is in that season.

EVERYTHINGS buyable these days, to a point, WCJ. Not slagging, but these ARE ALMOST DEFINATELY out there for sale.

I'm a library junkie myself, so I'm gonna borrow them from the library and watch them. Here are the links for the three titles they have. The first is season one, second season two and the third is a version of the two part episode on Belichek. I'm betting this might have extra footage that the season one episodes DO NOT HAVE.

http://vpl.bibliocommons.com/item/show/ ... tball_life

This is exactly the kinda stuff I use to get me through non-football months. I mean the drafts (CFL/NFL), free agency etc... there is always SOME football coverage. One year somebody lent me a playstation 3 and that years version of MADDEN. He plays in a on-line league. He lent it to me for a week so I could figure out the buttons on the controllers etc.... I DESTROYED HIM in the games we played simply because he's a gamer who kinda likes football. I'm a football junkie who figured out what he was doing. When he couldn't stop something, I kept running it until he did etc.... Anyway, these kinds of things are a fun way of getting a taste of football until the guys start smacking pads again..........
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote: ......I would like to find time to see those shows you mention.
"A Football Life" is a recurring series shown on the NFL network. The premiere of season one was a two part show on Bill Belichek. IIRC, the NFL network is showing season three right now and the Parcells show is in that season.

EVERYTHINGS buyable these days, to a point, WCJ. Not slagging, but these ARE ALMOST DEFINATELY out there for sale.

I'm a library junkie myself, so I'm gonna borrow them from the library and watch them. Here are the links for the three titles they have. The first is season one, second season two and the third is a version of the two part episode on Belichek. I'm betting this might have extra footage that the season one episodes DO NOT HAVE.

This is exactly the kinda stuff I use to get me through non-football months. I mean the drafts (CFL/NFL), free agency etc... there is always SOME football coverage. One year somebody lent me a playstation 3 and that years version of MADDEN. He plays in a on-line league. He lent it to me for a week so I could figure out the buttons on the controllers etc.... I DESTROYED HIM in the games we played simply because he's a gamer who kinda likes football. I'm a football junkie who figured out what he was doing. When he couldn't stop something, I kept running it until he did etc.... Anyway, these kinds of things are a fun way of getting a taste of football until the guys start smacking pads again..........
Thanks. Gonna look 'em over. Must be some in there on Vincent T., methinks. :thup:

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Oh My G.. As I look at this rather poor, blurry screenshot I took from the YouTube video provided by SP ...

It looks like a Leroy Neiman painting. Ha ha

Dwight Clark climbing the ladder. Fingertip catch. Artistic licence for the artist? Official signalling TD before Clark's feet touch the ground.

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:Oh My G.. As I look at this rather poor, blurry screenshot I took from the YouTube video provided by SP ...

It looks like a Leroy Neiman painting. Ha ha

Dwight Clark climbing the ladder. Fingertip catch. Artistic licence for the artist? Official signalling TD before Clark's feet touch the ground.
I think so. You could prob say the same for showing JM still in his follow through and Dallas defenders leaping to bat down the pass. All of this LOS action in the image should have long since been over by the time the ball arrives in Clark's hands. I guess you could consider it a temporal composite of the entire play since it clearly captures at least three different moments during the play: the throw, the catch and the TD signal.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
South Pender
Legend

NFL Conference Championship Game Previews:

1. AFC: Patriots at Broncos (-5) -- 12:00 noon PST (CBS: Jim Nantz & Phil Simms): http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201401190 ... ab=preview

2. NFC: 49ers at Seahawks (-3.5) -- 3:30 p.m. PST (Fox: Joe Buck & Troy Aikman): http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201401190 ... ab=preview
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NFL Conference Championship Game Picks from Various Sources:

1. Pro Football Talk (NBC): http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ame-picks/

2. ESPN: http://espn.go.com/nfl/picks

3. SportsGrid (but these are ATS; includes Rob Ford's pick!): http://www.sportsgrid.com/nfl/nfl-exper ... pionships/

4. Bleacher Report: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1922 ... ship-picks

5. SB Nation: http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/1/15/5 ... ship-games
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
South Pender
Legend

For Seahawks fans, here's a roundup of news from Tony Drovetto of Seahawks.com:

http://www.seahawks.com/news/articles/a ... ad54b93b7f

A lot of interesting stuff and links in that piece.

Injury report: Percy Harvin is definitely OUT for the game (concussion); OLB K.J. Wright is IN (fast recovery from foot surgery). Harvin's presence would have been a real plus for the 'Hawks.

Marty Callinan of ESPN offer his view of the defenses, broken down by the three position groups: 1. D-line: advantage Seahawks; 2. Linebackers: advantage 49ers; 3. Secondary: advantage Seahawks. It would be hard, actually impossible, to find a better group of LBs than the 49ers', with Patrick Willis, Aldon Smith, Ahmad Brooks, and NaVorro Bowman, three of whom are Pro Bowlers (all but Smith, who normally would be one too). Still, the Seahawks' LBs are hardly chopped liver. Bobby Wagner, Bruce Irvin, K. J. Wright, and Malcolm Smith are a solid group.

Here's some more detail on the 49ers' linebackers: http://www.theolympian.com/2014/01/16/2 ... rylink=cpy

I think that, overall, the Seahawks may have a slight edge defensively, but only a very slight one. On offense, I think we have to give the edge to the 49ers. As I've mentioned many times, IMO the 'Hawks don't really have a true No. 1 receiver (now that Sidney Rice is gone), and their passing game, although effective at times, is not something that can be counted on on a regular basis. If the 49ers are able to shut down The Beast, then I think that the 'Hawks will have trouble scoring enough points to win. Despite what can only be seen as a somewhat spotty (although not really too, too bad) O-line, the Seahawks do have a good ground game. So too, though, do the 49ers, with a much better (overall) O-line blocking for Frank Gore. The Seahawks are weak at guard, strong at LT and center, and at best satisfactory at RT. The big difference is in the passing game, where the 49ers have a better fleet of receivers, with a true No. 1 guy in a big and strong Michael Crabtree, a very solid, big and strong No. 1.5 or 2 guy in Anquan Boldin, and a great pass-catching tight end in Vernon Davis. The Seahawks counter with two smaller guys that are adequate, but not really No. 1 receivers in Golden Tate and Doug Baldwin, and an adequate, but not great, tight end in Zach Miller. Percy Harvin would have evened the score a little here had he been able to play. In my opinion, Russell Wilson is a better quarterback (regular season rating: 101.2) than Colin Kaepernick (91.6), and this may be a factor tomorrow.

I think this will be a very close game. I find it hard to believe that the Seahawks will be able to score enough points to win, given the state of their offense and the strength of the 49ers defense. On the other hand, I don't see the 49ers scoring a lot of points either against a really great defense. As usual, I'm not confident about a Seahawks win.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:I think that, overall, the Seahawks may have a slight edge defensively, but only a very slight one. On offense, I think we have to give the edge to the 49ers.
In my opinion, Russell Wilson is a better quarterback (regular season rating: 101.2) than Colin Kaepernick (91.6), and this may be a factor tomorrow.

I think this will be a very close game. I find it hard to believe that the Seahawks will be able to score enough points to win, given the state of their offense and the strength of the 49ers defense. On the other hand, I don't see the 49ers scoring a lot of points either against a really great defense. As usual, I'm not confident about a Seahawks win.
I agree on your first point. TOP TWO defences playing with mobile QB's in the NFC Championship, TWO HOF QB's facing off with their weaker defences in the AFC Championship. Yes, I'd agree Seattle has a SLIGHT edge defensively and the 49ers deserve that same slight edge offensively (JUST DUE TO THEIR RECIEVERS!).

Russell Wilson is by far the BETTER QB, IMO. I don't have stats to prove it. Using intuition, I feel Kaepernick is over-rated and can be schemed to fail. IOW, make it on Colin, the 49ers lose, IMO. I watch him hit a defender in the #'s every half that should go for a pickSIX.

I picked the Panthers to win and the 49ers WERE by far better. One thing that had an impact, IMO, that may impact again tomorrow is officiating. A let em play game, in Seattle? Seahawks win. Call it by the book on both teams? The 49ers recievers may do enough to win. Be inconsistent, letting some players do things, other players getting flags? Who knows? Regardless, I think the homefield advantage will help the Seahawks win. And whichever team wins the NFC (Seahawks, I hope :cr: ) will do enough to beat the AFC Champ (my gut says Pats).
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Well Mannings got the Broncos up by 10 at halftime. It has got to be a better second half simply because the pressure will start to mount. Manning just seems to be in that zone in this moment. We'll see how he does later.

The second game on the sched. is obviously the never wracking one, IMO. Seahawks look, sound good on paper but the games are not played on paper. I think the NFC Champion wins the Superbowl in two weeks time. I hope its the Seahawks but if the 49ers get it done, they win in New York too, IMO....

Heard rumours Kaepernick will probably get offers in the 18 million per season range when he re-negotiates, even more if he wins the SUperbowl as 49ers QB. INSANE, if you ask me. I guess Wilson will be due to break the bank too....