Stampeders @ Lions June 7, 2019 - Game Day Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

That was an amazing comeback win by the club. Very impressive as victory did not look possible half-way through the 4 quarter but they kept chipping away. Great spirit on the sidelines, lots of exuberance and guys playing for one another.

First, the International receivers. I will take Augustin over Bundy and Jones. Maybe Jones finds a PR spot, not sure. But Joey Augustin looked very impressive to me. Reminds me a little bit of Duke Williams. Hope he's nearly as productive. As for Nationals, we have to find a way to keep Cottoy. Huge upside. Stanford and Watson did not look very good last night. Richarte had one important catch on the last drive and likely earned a Global roster spot.

Defensive line (non-projected starters) didn't really show much push. Matt Boesen was given a game ball in the locker room, but I really only saw the pass knockdown. We may have to pump the brakes a bit on the idea of a National field corner AND a safety. One or the other. Hopefully, it will not take Thompson long to get into game shape. The fact we signed him AFTER camp tells me a lot about what staff thinks about the safety position.

Where is Adam Konar??

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
CrazyCanuck89
Starter

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:39 am
Great comeback win.

WTG, Grant Kraemer. Very poised. Very good arm.

Jarious' RPO passes a test. Reilly made it productive. Kraemer made it productive. And of course, it is not all RPO. There are all the elements of CFL offence in there.

Running game should be fine with Rutley, White and Moore behind our hogs. Augustin, Jones and Cottoy can make plays at receiver, behind Burnham and Carter.

Vanilla defence did not show much. No worries. Safety? Keon Lyn had kind of a nightmare game.

Reilly moving the ball. That is key.

Kraemer moving the ball. That is key for a green as grass rookie.

We should be fine at QB.

Kicking should be good enough with Castillo or Alix. If not, there are others out there.

http://www.thegridironcrew.com/grant-kr ... interview/

Poised in the pocket. He sees the field well. Can move around quite well in the pocket, senses pressure. Gets the ball away in time. Runs well enough.
Not a burner, but, like Mike Reilly, covers ground. Good prospect. O'Brien gives us some experienced depth also. Kraemer really stepped up.

We showed some good stuff.
I think Lyles will make the team over Moore. Kid runs hard and never went down after first contact.
CardiacKid
Legend

Ed Wiles is still maintaining that the Lions will dress 2 QBs per game (as per his column today).
However, in looking at the CFL site and it’s item re. the trimming of rosters this weekend, it categorically states that teams MUST dress 3 QBs.
So do the Lion’s have any legitimate choice in the matter? Personally I think having only 2 QBs dress is just asking for trouble. Especially with the stricter guidelines of the concussion protocol.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:27 am
Where is Adam Konar??
I've watched Konar since high school and have always admired his hard work and nose for the ball but he was terrible last night. He played the second half at WILL and was constantly out of position. The Stamps were running at him and throwing his way. He had no tackles or knockdowns. The Stamps had 84 of their 116 rushing yards in the second half. It wasn't all his fault, as the D-line left huge gaps open. Junior Luke in particular seems to get pushed around too easily. I hope Konar isn't making anywhere close to the $160,000 he reportedly earned in Edmonton. On a team with little cap space, a higher-paid veteran backup is a needless luxury.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

CardiacKid wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:36 am
Ed Wiles is still maintaining that the Lions will dress 2 QBs per game (as per his column today).
However, in looking at the CFL site and it’s item re. the trimming of rosters this weekend, it categorically states that teams MUST dress 3 QBs.
So do the Lion’s have any legitimate choice in the matter? Personally I think having only 2 QBs dress is just asking for trouble. Especially with the stricter guidelines of the concussion protocol.
I haven't seen a copy of the 2019 CBA but the 2014 version (Article 23.1) specifically gives teams the option of dressing two quarterbacks instead of three.
Prior to the commencement of the regular season schedule each Member Club shall, in accordance with a timetable prescribed by the Management Council, establish its active Roster at:

(a) a maximum of 44 Players, including 3 Players who shall be identified as quarterbacks and 41 other Players, of whom not more than 20 may be Internationals, or

(b) a minimum of 43 Players, including two Players who shall be identified as quarterbacks and 41 other Players, of whom not more than 20 may be Internationals.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

My understanding is that for 2020, dressing only 2 QBs will be mandatory. Under that system there would be a player who maybe played QB in high school that would have a few plays that he could run.

I guess that the reason for the Lions to jump the gun a year early would be due to cap considerations.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Random thoughts:

Good energy level and focus that signals good things for the team culture.

Lyles and Wayne Moore (nice TD at the end) both ran well but it's hard to judge until you're up against the best but both acquitted themselves well for the chances they had.

Cottay (sp) looks like a keeper.

Apodaca would have had much better stats but for the drops. The erratic snaps didn't seem to bother him.

Grant Kraemer if not a keeper - will surely find a team in the CFL for a look as he showed some talent (albeit a short outing).

QB cut from the Esks Danny O'Brien SOUNDS like a lock if Farhan's comments are to be believed as to how much Reilly likes working with him.

As to QBs, I can't recall when the Schooners start but won't the CFL teams be exposing QBs if it was done like with Ottawa making it important to keep them around?

80-Watson - two drops in a row off Kraemer who'd have been 7/7 but for that. Memo to 80 - you catch the ball with your hands, not your body.

Reilly comments on the playbook were interesting and positive:
> 60% the same as when JJ was with the Esks.
> 20% are for Reilly
> 20% in the book not called last year based on who were the QBs.
Mike Reilly is not someone who an OC can dictate plays to!!
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Reggiemac
Rookie

On the D side ,I noticed acouple blitz packages included CLBs,very agressive. Some good hitting at timesbut some obvious coverage breakdowns. All teachable moments.