BUCK IS BACK - LIONS RE-ACQUIRE PIERCE

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:I'm happy that Buck is returning to B.C. He is just a very likeable player. I was sad to see him released after 5 seasons with us but his injury situation made it necessary. Hard to have offensive consistency with his injuries but he is courageous and loves the game.

I like this move because it gives us experience in the backup position and he will be a good fit. I also like it because it makes Toppy very happy and who cannot be pleased when a comrade Lionbacker gets his favorite player back in orange.

Adding leadership to a team is always a good thing. However, in another way, the first move by Wally is to bring in 'leadership' at the quarterback position when we really should have enough leadership being provided by our starting quarterback at that position.

No question though is that Buck will overtake DeMarco for #2 before this season is over.

What is puzzling is that after so many quarterbacks being developed by Buono in the 'quarterback factory' over the years and now we are struggling to find a a decent developemental quarterback. We've gone through 16 of them over the past couple of seasons or so. This is not the Buono Way but at least we're doing better than the Eskimo Way. :wink:
I think the dumping of Kruck coincided with the factory starting to produce defects. Not sure of Jarius and his role as QB coach but when you have good OL coach like Kelly Bates as your RB coach it suggests the OC's coaching room is full the moment JC's enters his lair. Remember Burratto was dumped as he didn't buy the Kool Aid and JC is without a doubt a skilled survivor which in his role is not typical in the current CFL.

I thought they'd have gone to Elliott in short yardage but it is suggested by LU that there was a no love lost issue with the GM and the player - which surprises me.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Rammer
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:I'm happy that Buck is returning to B.C. He is just a very likeable player. I was sad to see him released after 5 seasons with us but his injury situation made it necessary. Hard to have offensive consistency with his injuries but he is courageous and loves the game.

I like this move because it gives us experience in the backup position and he will be a good fit. I also like it because it makes Toppy very happy and who cannot be pleased when a comrade Lionbacker gets his favorite player back in orange.

Adding leadership to a team is always a good thing. However, in another way, the first move by Wally is to bring in 'leadership' at the quarterback position when we really should have enough leadership being provided by our starting quarterback at that position.

No question though is that Buck will overtake DeMarco for #2 before this season is over.

What is puzzling is that after so many quarterbacks being developed by Buono in the 'quarterback factory' over the years and now we are struggling to find a a decent developemental quarterback. We've gone through 16 of them over the past couple of seasons or so. This is not the Buono Way but at least we're doing better than the Eskimo Way. :wink:
Well, to a point the Lions QB factory can still lay claim to Reilly's development. Add in Lulay and the past couple of seasons has two of eight CFL starters.
Entertainment value = an all time low
MexicoLionFan
Legend

It's a great move by the Lions...after last game Wally obviously knew that Lulay could be out for an extended time at any point because of our offensive woes (see Chapdelaine)...Buck is a good QB and a class guy that will help develop a winning attitude with this team...the only disappointing things to me were Wally's comments dumping exclusively on the players...I thought some of the things he said were bang and must be improved, but any idiot knows that coaching is the major cause of our woes...but Wally shifts all the "blame" on the players, hinting at more changes...nice job Wally...

Akeem Foster was wasting away here, so I am glad to see him gone, as I think he can play with regular reps...

DeMarco being demoted to #3 on this team and Buck to #2 helps us a ton IMO.

Overall, I think the moves over the last few days, and the comments by Wally show a team without strong, unified leadership and in a crisis...and this all gets dumped back into Wally's lap...he gave the keys to MB, and saddled him with an antiquated, out matched coaching staff...and Wally is showing us there are NO consequences on the coaches, but tons of criticisms on the players...BRUTAL!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
leo4life
All Star

Great analysis MexicoLionFan! You have to wonder sometimes who is really running the coaching staff,Benny or Wally lol.Does Benny even have to the green light to make changes to his staff? Wont be this season and he said "Chap is the best guy" etc.Tough remaining schedule so we will really see what this team can produce come crunch time.Not looking past the Al's but next week @ Regina is MASSIVE!!!
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Yes, saying that Chaps is the best in the business is like kissing a toad and saying you can't wait to go back for more...its clear that MB's hands are tied to Wally's umbilical cord and they can't be severed...I get the sense of an impending implosion in BC...

Albert Einstein
Blitz
Team Captain

MexicoLionFan wrote:Yes, saying that Chaps is the best in the business is like kissing a toad and saying you can't wait to go back for more...its clear that MB's hands are tied to Wally's umbilical cord and they can't be severed...I get the sense of an impending implosion in BC...
Don't think so. Chap was going to leave and go back to the Canadian college ranks, after Benevedes was named HC and Benevedes made it quite clear he wanted Chapdelaine to stay on as offensive coordinator. It was also his choice as it was to bring in Stubler as defensive coordinator,, rather than promote Washington from within.

The Lions staff have come out in the last few days and clearly stated that the offensive line is not being beaten individually and that it is assignment mistakes that they need to rectify. That makes sense because linebackers and defensive tackles should not be getting clear shots at the quarterback without being touched.

Wally has targeted leadership, and the quarterback and defensive line positions with his moves so far, in his 'sending a message. It will be interesting to see where and if he targets next.

Our Leos have been very motivated at practices so far this week and Banks and Smith got into a fight at practice. I'm anticipating a very motivated team against Montreal. That is only part of the equation to a win but at least its an attitude that is positive after our Hamilton loss. A bit of a shakeup was needed, whether the biggest problemis coaching, personell, player attitude etc. This 2013 edition was looking like a complacent team.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

MexicoLionFan wrote:Yes, saying that Chaps is the best in the business is like kissing a toad and saying you can't wait to go back for more...its clear that MB's hands are tied to Wally's umbilical cord and they can't be severed...I get the sense of an impending implosion in BC...
If you are correct, I will be content if it leads to a new OC and O line coach for next season.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
If you are correct, I will be content if it leads to a new OC and O line coach for next season.
Don't hold your breath. I see no changes in OC or Line Coach in the near future as it's not characteristic of Buono to remove his closest buddies and he is GM. Coaching needs to get better but I very much doubt it means a coach like these two will depart unless they chose to.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
:thup: :thup:
Rammer
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:
DanoT wrote:
Don't hold your breath. I see no changes in OC or Line Coach in the near future as it's not characteristic of Buono to remove his closest buddies and he is GM. Coaching needs to get better but I very much doubt it means a coach like these two will depart unless they chose to.
Agreed, Wally uses a lip product every year but one since he joined thew Lions and as a Stampeder GM/HC.
Entertainment value = an all time low
MexicoLionFan
Legend

I HATE how the Lions coaches and front office handled this week...I do think we will win Sunday because the players are fired up...but that's not because Wally and the coaches dumped upon them, its because this is a championship crew...players like Banks and Marsh are ALL TIMERS with the Lions and they will NOT stand by and see their QB eaten alive and their season destroyed...part of me though, would be okay with a complete collapse as it would force Buono's hand to get rid of some drift wood on this team...read Chapdelaine and Dorazio on offence.

Plus, this is far from Buono's best season as a GM as he let go Mitchell without replacing him, and has allowed the travesty with LaRose to continue at Safety...

Yikes...

I will state again, I love this team because of the PLAYERS, not the coaches or MGT, who are proving to be children...sans Stubler...

Albert Einstein
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan wrote: Plus, this is far from Buono's best season as a GM as he let go Mitchell without replacing him, and has allowed the travesty with LaRose to continue at Safety...
I agree with your statement on Mitchell. In fairness to Buono he is allowing Benevides to make his own decision on Larose instead of micro mangaging.
leo4life
All Star

I think BC will win Sunday as they are pissed off and fired up! However next week in Regina i fear it will be another slow start,no run game and the O-Line being pummeled.I dont get these slow starts and very slow adjustments during the game.Hopefully the D-Line will finally get a regular push with out blitzing.Not a fan of the 3 man front either unless we had a true nose tackle.
Spud387
Champion

So is Buck the #2 this week or is it still DeMarco?
notahomer
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan wrote:I HATE how the Lions coaches and front office handled this week...
Me too, maybe for slightly different reasons but all in all, I agree. I really like our players and hope they win and climb back into a battle for the division. I know they are not out of it yet but its time. The meat of our schedule is here and hopefully its time to feast.......