Simon traded to Riders

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I think the pic says it all.

God Bless. You are a Lion forever.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Terrific article by Mike Beamish ...
Geroy Simon, Lions' 'Superman,' traded to Roughriders (with reaction)

By Mike Beamish, Vancouver Sun January 24, 2013

Geroy Simon, Lions' 'Superman,' traded to Roughriders (with reaction)

VANCOUVER - Peter Pocklington’s lasting legacy in sport was to teach us all that nobody is untouchable.

In 1988, the owner of the Edmonton Oilers turned the hockey world upset down by doing the unfathomable: Turning the Great Gretzky into a Los Angeles King. He later became a St. Louis Blue, and a New York Ranger.

Picture in your mind’s eye Babe Ruth in Yankee pinstripes, but be mindful that the Bambino ended his career wearing the flannel of the Boston Braves.

Jerry Rice, the greatest receiver in football history, is remembered in hues of 49ers crimson and gold. But his time as an Oakland Raider, a Seattle Seahawk and a Denver Bronco is another reminder that no professional athlete is immune from the ravages of time and circumstance.

And so it is with Geroy Simon.

B.C. Lions fan might react with disbelief that the symbol of all that is good and great in orange and black will now be wearing the green and white of the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

The 36-year-old receiver might be the best there ever was for an organization about to celebrate its 60th year in the Canadian Football League.

But ‘was’ is the operative word.

The Lions believe that Simon’s greatest days are behind him. Simon insists there are great days ahead. One party believes he is no longer an elite receiver, the highest paid non-quarterback in the CFL. The other party says, “I’ll show you.”

Bullheadness and bucks are the reason the CFL’s all-time receiving yards leader is leaving B.C. and de-camping to the prairies. Lions GM Wally Buono was prepared to pay Simon about half of his $205,000 compensation from last year for what would be a diminished role in 2013.

As much as the monetary impasse, Simon balked at any suggestion that he would be used in a supporting role. And so, any notion of Simon ending his playing days as B.C. Lion went out the door with his trade Thursday to the Roughriders.

“It think it is stubborness. It’s bullhead-ness,” Simon said. “I believe in my ability. If I didn’t believe in that ability, I’d still be a B.C. Lion. Ultimately, I have to make the decision that’s best for me. When I have to look in the mirror, I see myself. I’m the one who has to make the decision. My agent (Dan Vertlieb) is not the one who has to play in Saskatchewan. I am. And I’m OK with what I’ve done here, and moving on to the next stop. I felt like I’ve exhausted what I can do here. And I needed to move on.”

As a flesh peddler, Buono has a reputation for knowing an athlete’s best-before date and when to make a move before it becomes obvious to others. Allen Pitts, Dave Dickenson, Jason Clermont, Otis Floyd, Tyrone Williams . . . the list of fan favourites Buono has released is as long as the chronicle of his accomplishments. Not even Geroy Simon can prove to be an exception to the rule.

“Because the process has been so long, and I honestly felt I wasn’t sure I could work this out, this is the inevitable result,” Buono said. “When I got up today, I did feel a bit of hollowness. I had my own personal feelings. This was not going to be easy. But I had to put those feelings aside. The job of fans is to be emotionally invested in the team and the players. My job is to make the right decision. The difference between me and them is, I have to take the emotions out of it and make the hard football decision.”

While some might suggest Buono’s soul is made of flint, it soon became apparent that he appreciated the gravity of the moment. The Lions took the extraordinary step of organizing a news conference, in the locker room, for a player they had just traded. In his more than three decades as a CFL head coach or general manager, Buono can’t remember another similar instance. The same media turnout, which might be expected for the announcement of a Roberto Luongo trade, reflected the newsworthiness of the event.

“From my recollection, it’s the first time I’ve bothered to do something of this nature -- when you trade or release a player,” Buono said. “This is totally different. This is unique. We didn’t want to make a trade like this, then hide behind our desk. Geroy has done so much for this organization. He’s done so much on the field, and off the field. He’s helped us come a long way from when we got here (2003).”

The argument can be made Simon doesn’t know when to quit or accept the fact he can’t get the same separation from defenders as he did in his prime. Moving on to Saskatchewan is part of his compulsion to prove himself, to never let up in

pursuit of the exacting standards he has set for himself.

“I consider myself a winner. That definitely played a huge factor in the decision,” Simon explained. “I didn’t want to go to a place where I was just out there, and didn’t have an opportunity to play at a high level (why he chose the Roughriders).”

He added: “I have nothing but great feelings for this organization, and this man (Buono) sitting beside me. I really respect this man. He’s a leader. And sometimes leadership is about making unpopular, tough decisions. But to exhaust my talents as a football player, I felt I had to move on.”

Canadian Football Hall of Famer Ray Elgaard, who wore No. 81 as a Roughrider, graciously informed Simon that he would be honoured to have him wear his jersey number.

Simon has been a thorn in the side of the ‘Riders for many years -- he has 10, 100-yard games against Saskatchewan during his career in B.C., more than any other CFL team. He’ll line up at slotback with Weston Dressler, with the ‘Riders probably moving Chris Getzlaf to a wide receiver position with Rob Bagg, Taj Smith and Greg Carr in an offence quarterbacked by Darian Durant and choreographed by new coordinator George Cortez, a recognized offensive guru.

“Whenever you can add his type of experience, leadership and ability, it’s definitely an asset for us,” Durant told the Regina Leader-Post. “I’m looking forward to working with Geroy. He’s a champion. He knows what it takes to win. The pieces are in place for us to make a great run at this thing (Saskatchewan plays host to the 2013 Grey Cup game at Mosaic Stadium).”

Despite the trade, Simon won’t be making a mad dash to Saskatchewan. He first has to make peace with the Cloverdale Bobcats, the peewee minor football team he coached to the provincial championship last year.

Indeed, Simon will be expected to show at the 2013 Orange Helmet Awards banquet on April 19, the Lions’ annual salute to minor football in the province, to accept the trophy for his team.

“I thought about that,” Simon said, with a chuckle. “I’m going to have to go to that.”

It could turn into a love-in for the deposed Lion king.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Gero ... z2J085ejKZ
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

“It think it is stubborness. It’s bullhead-ness,” Simon said. “I believe in my ability. If I didn’t believe in that ability, I’d still be a B.C. Lion. Ultimately, I have to make the decision that’s best for me. When I have to look in the mirror, I see myself. I’m the one who has to make the decision. My agent (Dan Vertlieb) is not the one who has to play in Saskatchewan. I am. And I’m OK with what I’ve done here, and moving on to the next stop. I felt like I’ve exhausted what I can do here. And I needed to move on.”
Yup. The great athletes always believe. That makes it tough at the end. It is tricky. And Geroy does have something left in the tank.
“Because the process has been so long, and I honestly felt I wasn’t sure I could work this out, this is the inevitable result,” Buono said. “When I got up today, I did feel a bit of hollowness. I had my own personal feelings. This was not going to be easy. But I had to put those feelings aside. The job of fans is to be emotionally invested in the team and the players. My job is to make the right decision. The difference between me and them is, I have to take the emotions out of it and make the hard football decision.”
Yup. Buono had to put feelings aside.
“From my recollection, it’s the first time I’ve bothered to do something of this nature -- when you trade or release a player,” Buono said. “This is totally different. This is unique. We didn’t want to make a trade like this, then hide behind our desk. Geroy has done so much for this organization. He’s done so much on the field, and off the field. He’s helped us come a long way from when we got here (2003).”
Classy press conference by both Buono and Simon.
“I consider myself a winner. That definitely played a huge factor in the decision,” Simon explained. “I didn’t want to go to a place where I was just out there, and didn’t have an opportunity to play at a high level (why he chose the Roughriders).”

He added: “I have nothing but great feelings for this organization, and this man (Buono) sitting beside me. I really respect this man. He’s a leader. And sometimes leadership is about making unpopular, tough decisions. But to exhaust my talents as a football player, I felt I had to move on.”
:thup:
Despite the trade, Simon won’t be making a mad dash to Saskatchewan. He first has to make peace with the Cloverdale Bobcats, the peewee minor football team he coached to the provincial championship last year.

Indeed, Simon will be expected to show at the 2013 Orange Helmet Awards banquet on April 19, the Lions’ annual salute to minor football in the province, to accept the trophy for his team.

“I thought about that,” Simon said, with a chuckle. “I’m going to have to go to that.”
Getting his coaching chops in.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I enjoyed the tone of the press conference. If my eyes were not playing tricks on me, Geroy still wore an orange coloured tie to the presser. It was nice to even have this amicable announcement with both parties. Geroy wasn't just some broken down part tossed in the dumpster. It is also obvious that respect goes both ways. The way I look at it Simon is gone for awhile. He's hoping a few more seasons. Regardless, he'll be back one way or another. It will be weird to watch Simon in green..........
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

TheLionKing wrote:Somewhat surprise though that Geroy was traded to a team in the same conference.
I'm not surprised at all. I think the level of respect Buono has for Simon is such that if they couldn't come to an agreement to keep Geroy in BC then Wally was going to do whatever was necessary to put Geroy into the best possible situation. If it happened to be with a team in the same conference then so be it.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Rammer
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Somewhat surprise though that Geroy was traded to a team in the same conference.
I'm not surprised at all. I think the level of respect Buono has for Simon is such that if they couldn't come to an agreement to keep Geroy in BC then Wally was going to do whatever was necessary to put Geroy into the best possible situation. If it happened to be with a team in the same conference then so be it.
Since Wally allowed Geroy to seek his own trade, the destination didn't necessarily come into play from Wally's viewpoint. Still can't believe that the Riders gave him a base salary of $170K, the location was secondary to that figure.
Entertainment value = an all time low
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
Hambone wrote:
Since Wally allowed Geroy to seek his own trade, the destination didn't necessarily come into play from Wally's viewpoint. Still can't believe that the Riders gave him a base salary of $170K, the location was secondary to that figure.
Good location for Geroy. Relatively close to home, here in B.C.

Decent team. And he will be embraced by the Green community.
Blitz
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
There is no question that Wally treated Geroy with a respect that has not happened with other stars who played for him in the past. He just released players like Allan Pitts, Dave Dickenson, and Jason Clermont when he felt the combination of their salary and diminishing abilities made them expendable. Obviously it also had to be handled carefully due to Geroy's impact as a Leo over the years.

However, the trade was not done just for Geroy. Wally picked up a draft choice and a prospect receiver, when it looked as if we just might end up releasing Geroy. Geroy will get $167,000 approximately in Saskatchewan where he was being offerred a little over $100,000 here. With that salary offer, Geroy was going to be a depth import. In Riderland he will start as one of the slots, with Dressler. It will give Simon the opportunity to continue to be a starter, to break the records he wants to break, and be paid more money than the Leos offer.

Geroy is still a decent receiver at 37 years old. He still runs good routes, is a very smart, experienced receiver. He can still become a 1000 yard receiver in Riderland as a possesion receiver and Cortez will use him to best advantage. However, in B.C. he still wanted to start, to be the go to guy, and be paid accordingly.

We have other needs (eg: offensive line) and we have young receivers who have excellent potential while showing that they could get it done during the times they started last season. We also get a draft choice that could help us in the future if we draft well and the reciver we are getting has a chance to start...he was on the Baltimroe Ravens roster for a lengthy time and that is not an easy thing to accomplish. Even if the receiver we are getting from Saskatchewan never starts for us we have freed up necessary SMS room to sign a free agent guard and we needed to do that.

The trade works out for both parties, in getting what each feel they needed. Its always tough to see a player who have meant so much to our franchise leave. Its emotional. But there have been other stars (eg: Gerry Rice) who left a storied career behind to finish their career elsewhere. Geroy made a great contribution here but he was also paid very well by CFL standards for that contribution and the passing attack was designed for him to be our go to receiver. Both Geroy and our Leos have gotten a lot out of his time here in B.C.

I was the first on Lionbackers last year to write that I believed that we would be a better offence going with more speed in the slots before we inserted Taylor and Moore at slot during season It was obvious that teams were defensing us without the worry of a deep threat from those two inside slot positions. I believed in Courtney Taylor from the time he arrived here, considered Nick Moore a very good receiver even with his early drops, and very much liked Ernest Jackson over Kierrie Johnson. Not everyone had the same view nor do they now but I still believe that was the direction we needed to go in and still do.

It will be interesting to see, with Geroy gone now, whether we keep Paris Jackson as a vet receiver for another season to provide leadership or complete the transiiton now and go with Goddard.

If we can get an offensive lineman or two, with the depth we have on our roster and the changes we will likely make on the defensive line and at cornerback, we will be a better team next year, at least in terms of talent, than last season. You have to keep trying to get better or you're falling behind.

Next season is looking very interesting.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Blitz
Team Captain

nteresting to be taking a cloer look at Justin Harper, who arrives in the Geroy Simon trade.

Of course we know that Harper was a 7th round NFL draft pick in 2008, who was on the Baltimore Ravens roster for 3 seasons, before signing with the Riders last season. Harper played for Virginia Tech and had a good senior season there, playing in the Orange Bowl.

He has excellent height (almost 6'4" tall and weights over 220 pounds. He also has good speed, having been timed at under 4.4 in the 40 yard dash but his official time is 4.58. He can leap and has good hands to make the tough catch in tight coverage. He adjusts to the errant throw, can take the big hit and is fearless and will go after a football knowing that he could get really tagged.

His weaknesses are that he has not shown to be quick out of his breaks due to being a long strider...not having elite speed, and his blocking as well as his breaks need to improve.

We like to use the short side receiver position as a deep threat position as well as to run the occasional reverse. Harper will compete with Ernest Jackson (and likely others) for the short side widout position. Ernest Jackson is the incumbent, Shivers and Company will bring in a lot of signings at receiver for training camp, but Harper could bring us depth, even if he doesn't start. Be interesting to see how he plays at training camp.

He seems to have the talent (height, weight, speed, hands) for the position. Whether he can become a very good route runner or become a starter is yet to be seen but at least he has potential in terms of the attributes he brings.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Rammer
Team Captain

jcalhoun wrote:Hey all,

After reading this morning's papers, I gotta say the Lions handled this brilliantly in the media. Obviously this is a big story. But it's front page of the Sun again (that's two front pages in consecutive weeks) and in the Province (which usually has more hockey news than actual news) the first *SIX* pages of the sports section are on Geroy, including an article by... get this... Tony Gallagher.

Between the Lulay signing and the Geroy trade, was also the Reid/Phillips announcement, which got less press but still some good coverage. I really can't remember when the Lions had this kind of off-season media coverage. It's been really good.

When is the schedule released? It's early February, isn't it?

Cheers,

James
Schedule is never set to a schedule, but expect it in February, as all teams could give it the thumbs up, or all could have some tweaks needed, which ultimately delays the process.
Entertainment value = an all time low
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Caveman_2 wrote:Sorry Lions fans but I'm really looking forward to the first one of these...
Be prepared to wait. The last time Simon scored a touchdown in a home game was 2011. His 2 TDs last year came on the road in Weeks 13 and 18.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

From Mike Beamish ...

Dorazio and Geroy go back a long way ...
Dan Dorazio has seen most of Geroy Simon's moves

By Mke Beamish, Vancouver Sun January 24, 2013

VANCOUVER - In 1993, Dan Dorazio recruited a rail-thin, six-foot, 155-pound receiver from Johnstown, Pa. named Geroy Simon for the Maryland Terrapins.

Now, 20 years later, the B.C. Lions offensive line coach still considers it the greatest catch of his career.As Maryland’s offensive coordinator and recruiter, Dorazio snagged the G-Man for the Terrapins.

And for much of the ensuing three decades, he was been a firsthand witness to Simon’s exploits, both in the Atlantic Coast Conference and the Canadian Football League.Dorazio was there when Simon set a Maryland record with 16 catches in a game against Florida State.
He watched him haul in 77 in his sophomore season that bettered the Maryland and ACC record.Dorazio was with him again last year, when Simon took a 56-yard pass from Travis Lulay and broke Milt Stegall’s CFL career record for receiving yards.

And, on Thursday, in a Lions locker room overflowing with media, Dorazio stood quietly at the back as Simon, now 37, announced he would no longer be a Lion after 12 seasons packed with derring-do and glory.

"All he ever did was make plays. That's why we recruited him at Maryland," Dorazio said. "He was a playmaker. And that’s all I’ve ever seen him do in the CFL -- make plays. I’ve been so blessed to have had an association with this man for as long as I have. You couldn’t have asked for better player in college. And when I came here (joining Wally Buono’s staff in 2003), I was blessed to be part of his career again.”

Dorazio didn’t have an inkling that Simon’s days in B.C. were numbered based on his limited production last season -- 54 catches, 700 yards and two touchdowns in 13 games. The most telling number was 36, the birthday Simon reached last September, the same age Allen Pitts was in Calgary, when Buono released the CFL’s all-time leading receiver. Pitts was later passed in the record book by Milt Stegall, who has 38 in his final year with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers before retiring after the 2008 season.

But Stegall’s game certainly was in decline before he was afforded the rare luxury of choosing when to make his exit from the stage. The Bombers themselves were reluctant to make the call, fearing the wrath of their fan base.

Whether he’s right or wrong, and perhaps because he's done it with other high-profile players before, Lions GM Wally Buono seems prepared to take the heat and trust his instincts, with only small regard to what the media and the chattering classes might think.
“When we released Pitts in Calgary, it was pretty rough,” Dorazio said. “Allen was a big part of what we did. There’s a lot of human emotion involved. Wally will get a lot of blame. Normally (January) is a very quiet time of year (for the coaching staff). This (Simon’s trade) changes that.”

Dorazio said he recognized Simon as “a prize” when he got him to commit to Maryland, and he still feels that way about him as a 37-year-old adult.

“He’s still the same person he was 20 years ago -- high character,” Dorazio said. “We knew he was special when he signed him, and he’s still a special person. He’s never disappointed us. I’m so proud of what he’s been able to accomplish.”

Simon and Dorazio have been part of two Grey Cup championships together in their 10-year professional association with the Lions, during which Simon has made 904 catches for 14,756 yards and 93 touchdowns.
mbeamish@vancouversun.comTwitter.com/sixbeamers
SammyGreene
Team Captain

notahomer wrote:I enjoyed the tone of the press conference. If my eyes were not playing tricks on me, Geroy still wore an orange coloured tie to the presser. It was nice to even have this amicable announcement with both parties.
I know! I was waiting for the Lions or Geroy to announce the only reason they were doing this to was to screw the Riders over with the salary cap. ;)
David
Team Captain

Interesting words from LU about how everything wasn't quite as harmonious and peachy between the four walls of the locker room as one would be led to believe:
Lowell Ullrich wrote:The spin from the Lions is that they might eventually be better off without Simon, having cut a player a year too early as opposed to one too late. They’ve used that line of logic before of course. The suggestion from some in the organization was that Simon didn’t always represent grace within the locker room, and it could be stated that reporters indeed did hear their share of quiet complaints by the receiver because the quarterback of the day couldn’t get him the ball enough.
I don't know if this is fair to Geroy though. He's a competitive guy and, as with most elite athletes in their sport, he has a fairly healthy ego. However, superstars really need one to achieve their status.

Interesting comments though.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar