Lions 36 - Stampeders 31 Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

sasklionsfan
Rookie

The one thing I could have never have thought was that lulay could have time to pass. The online actually has a rhythm now, and play as a unit. No more is Lulay running for his life every play, and the only times he was hurried was when the coverage was good, and that one bad chip block by Jerome Messam :/
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote:I'm not as enamoured with Lulay's play as many others. Take away those two long passes and 10 lobes to the RB, he did virtually nothing...other than throw a couple of picks and fumbling. On several plays he held onto the ball too long, confident he could deke the pass rush...guess again. He made some timely runs and we did win the game. But QB's can't rely on rushing the football. Sooner or later they'll be a casualty. Calgary could of won the game just as easily if Franklin didn't drop that TD pass, then we might have a differing opinion of the team's performance.
Fans expect to much of young QB's after a few starts. Calvillo wasn't much good until his 5 the or 6 th year starting.

Lulay looks like he has skills and attitude. Let him develop.
Blitz
Team Captain

JohnHenry wrote:I'm not as enamoured with Lulay's play as many others. Take away those two long passes and 10 lobes to the RB, he did virtually nothing...other than throw a couple of picks and fumbling. On several plays he held onto the ball too long, confident he could deke the pass rush...guess again. He made some timely runs and we did win the game. But QB's can't rely on rushing the football. Sooner or later they'll be a casualty. Calgary could of won the game just as easily if Franklin didn't drop that TD pass, then we might have a differing opinion of the team's performance.
The one thing that concerns me at this point, is how often Lulay runs. He's been very effective but I'm anticipating that opposing teams will soon spy him with a linebacker and force him to be a passer. Lulay got a lot of man coverage against Calgary and with time to throw, its the easiest coverage to read for a quuarterback. The tailback out of the backfield causes difficulty for man coverage as well, and Calgary had to cover him with their middle linebacker. That allowed Lulay to run inside, because when he got past the defensive line, Calgary had no one there.

The best way to play our Leos is to play combination defenses..with zone underneath, tight coverrage on the inside, with zone overtop. That way, if we swing Robertson, an outside linebacker in zone will be waiting for him. Still, its good to release the tailback often. We get blitzed more than any team in the league and for good reason.

Lulay got the benefit of tremendous field position most of the game, including great returns from Harris and Davis. The weakness of the Chap offence is trying to dink and dunk for long drives. There is little margin for error.

However, I give Lulay credit for going deep a few times. A quarterback who is willing to stretch the field, both vertically and horizontally, opens up a lot of stuff. It will be interesting to see how we get defensed next game.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
pdxlion
Rookie

Glass half empty dude. Take away the fumble and picks and Lulay played a great game. All the plays count. Im encouraged in that he looks like a starting CFL qb and handling very well the pressure of "every games a playoff game" atmosphere.
Blitz
Team Captain

pdxlion wrote:
Glass half empty dude. Take away the fumble and picks and Lulay played a great game. All the plays count. Im encouraged in that he looks like a starting CFL qb and handling very well the pressure of "every games a playoff game" atmosphere.
I wouldn't call it a great game. Outside of the two long passes to Black and Arsenault, Lulay and our receivers stuggled in the passin game. We won even though our receiving corps caught a combined seven passes. It was mostly Lulay running and dumps to Robertson out of the backfield. We had great field position all game and our pass protection was the best its been all season. Lulay made a couple of excellent long throws and he made a couple of errors with the football. Outside of his running, the passing attack was bogged down for a lot of the game. That's not just on Lulay...Simon was blanketed by Browner for most of the game.

If Franklin had caught the pass to him, wide open in the end zone, we'd be looking at this thing differently, with our offence really struggling in the second half and it took two huge Davis punt returns to put us in a situation to get points on the board. What is obvious though, is that Lulay is starting to look more and more comfortable.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)