2018 All Things Lions Marketing & Promotions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

I am skeptical that placing an international (in the global sense of the word) player or two on each team is going to move the attendance needle one iota. Unless there are additional revenues to be gained (television, merchandise), then I think Ambrosie looking to expand the CFL brand into other countries is a complete waste of time and resources.

Unlike the MLS which can add aging superstars - guys that are household names in their own country and abroad - the CFL would be signing "nobodies." Players that very few would even know in their own countries say, Japan and Mexico, and most certainly nobody would know here. Add in the fact the fact they'd likely be making league minimum and I highly doubt local ethnic communities would suddenly start coming out to games. Might there even be language barriers in the huddle?

We've had players on the Lions like Bobby Singh and Jas Dhillon and I don't think the Lions sold any more tickets in the Indo-Canadian community than before. It's a dumb idea. Let's put resources behind a domestic campaign promoting what exceptional athletes CFL players are. This is under-reported.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:13 pm
I am skeptical that placing an international (in the global sense of the word) player or two on each team is going to move the attendance needle one iota. Unless there are additional revenues to be gained (television, merchandise), then I think Ambrosie looking to expand the CFL brand into other countries is a complete waste of time and resources.

Unlike the MLS which can add aging superstars - guys that are household names in their own country and abroad - the CFL would be signing "nobodies." Players that very few would even know in their own countries say, Japan and Mexico, and most certainly nobody would know here. Add in the fact the fact they'd likely be making league minimum and I highly doubt local ethnic communities would suddenly start coming out to games. Might there even be language barriers in the huddle?

We've had players on the Lions like Bobby Singh and Jas Dhillon and I don't think the Lions sold any more tickets in the Indo-Canadian community than before. It's a dumb idea. Let's put resources behind a domestic campaign promoting what exceptional athletes CFL players are. This is under-reported.

Agreed. Are the Bombers selling a bunch more tickets to south Asians because of Sukh Chungh? There's no lack of Aussies working in the service sector particularly in places that have ski facilities. Do they flock to CFL stadiums to watch Josh Bartel? I think the only way an "international" player would have an impact on ticket sales would be if they became a star in a high profile "skill" position.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I think Ambrosie's goal of expanding the CFL brand globally is meant to strengthen the domestic market as much as the international market. Canadians have an inferiority complex, and it's most pronounced in the country's big three markets, where NFL football is seen as a better brand, and the Blue Jays and Raptors draw support from flag-waving fans who see them as Canada's teams.

As gridiron football grows across Europe and Asia, there is an opportunity to expose Canadian football to sports fans who would likely find the rules more familiar to them because of the rugby roots of the Canadian game. The international interest in the Canadian game, even as a niche market overseas, can then be marketed back to Canadians as a sign of global acceptance of our game.

The league can also make Canadians more aware of the game's following in the U.S., particularly on ESPN2, which has deep penetration among cable subscribers. There are passionate CFL fans (Homer Simpson, anyone?) south of the border, some of whom have family or college connections to CFL players and others who just enjoy the wide-open style of football, especially when games don't go head-to-head with the NFL. Johnny Manziel's CFL debut drew 406,000 viewers on ESPN2 — the largest CFL audience ever on the ESPN family of networks. His comeback game on Friday likely won't match those numbers but it will draw Manziel fans from south of the border.

I recall during the NFL strike of 1982, NBC decided to fill the void in its Sunday programming by picking up weekly CFL games, beginning with a doubleheader featuring the Lions in Toronto and the Stampeders in Edmonton. The games were blacked out on the Seattle NBC station so I drove to Portland and stayed overnight Saturday just so I could watch NBC's telecast. As I recall, Roy Dewalt led the Lions to a 46-14 victory in the early game, with Don Criqui doing the NBC play-by-play. NBC's legendary football broadcast team of Dick Enberg and Merlin Olsen did the second game from Edmonton. Unfortunately, most of the games NBC picked up that year were blowouts and the network quickly lost interest in the CFL but the experience still resonates with me nearly four decades later. I'm just as passionate about waving the flag as the CFL game is exposed to markets in other parts of the world.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

I just received an email from the Lions containing another nice gesture as they are offering ST holders a complimentary autographed copy of Angus Reid's new book "Thank You Coach". It's about the important relationships between players and coaches, in particular Reid's special relationship with Dan Dorazio.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:50 pm
I just received an email from the Lions containing another nice gesture as they are offering ST holders a complimentary autographed copy of Angus Reid's new book "Thank You Coach". It's about the important relationships between players and coaches, in particular Reid's special relationship with Dan Dorazio.
That's a great deal. Unfortunately, I had just ordered the book through Amazon the other day, so I'll have two copies. I'll keep the autographed one.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Reid has the highest regards for Dorazio unlike a lot of posters on this forum myself included. Will be interesting to see what Reid has to say.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:30 pm
Reid has the highest regards for Dorazio unlike a lot of posters on this forum myself included. Will be interesting to see what Reid has to say.
From comments I've heard over the years the high regard Reid has for Dorazio is pretty much mutual amongst the vast majority of OL who have played for him. They seem to universally love him as a coach. I think the sure sign of that is the fact you don't hear anything negative from players after they've long left the game and don't have to worry about it biting them in their careers.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Hambone wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:50 pm
TheLionKing wrote:
From comments I've heard over the years the high regard Reid has for Dorazio is pretty much mutual amongst the vast majority of OL who have played for him. They seem to universally love him as a coach. I think the sure sign of that is the fact you don't hear anything negative from players after they've long left the game and don't have to worry about it biting them in their careers.
I think what Dan Dorazio is most admired and respected by players for his vast knowledge and teaching ability.
I think what is most disliked by fans is Dorazio's tendency to make it too technical and too complicated. Too much thinking not enough KISS.
Last edited by DanoT on Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ballistic Bob
Legend

Anybody think Dorazio stays on after Wally retires?
Wear orange or wear nothing
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Ballistic Bob wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:53 pm
Anybody think Dorazio stays on after Wally retires?
Only if Mark Washington is appointed as the new head coach
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Angus Reid like other retiring players is not ever likely to write any negative thoughts about coaches or he'd be burning bridges not needed to be burned.

However I can't think he had the highest regard for Dorazio when for the first time ever as a starter he was no longer invited to off season meetings as well as the off season money owed. Few players will publicly say it - but none of them are happy when they feel they're being screwed.
We know how this worked out when they tried to replace Reid with Dean Valli:

https://www.cfl.ca/2010/05/21/veteran-r ... -new-role/

As LU wrote in The Province:
"Pride was, predictably, the initial casualty. But Reid came to grips with both the decision and its financial consequences, agreeing Thursday to terms of a reworked contract that will send his Lions tenure into a 10th season without the club drawing attention to his new salary, which is not quite the reported $110,000 deal he signed a year ago.

Backup money for a new backup."
Though the Lions paid a scheduled roster bonus in February, Reid began to sense change when he wasn’t invited to offseason voluntary meetings called by Dorazio.
A new reality emerged. Buono once had transition talks with veteran linemen Bobby Singh and Kelly Bates when they hit their mid-30s. Same thing this winter when defensive lineman Brent Johnson had to take a pay cut. Reid, unaccustomed to thinking of himself as an elder statesman, now was no different.

However what stood up was Angus Reid going public on a gambling struggle he was having - around 2007. I hope that's all worked out for him. He looks healthy on the Crime Stoppers videos.

It would be good to see more of him on football talk as he's very articulate. Why isn't he on radio locally?
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Hambone
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:54 pm
I think what Dan Dorazio is most admired and respected by players for his vast knowledge and teaching ability.
I think what is most disliked by fans is Dorazio's tendency to make it too technical and too complicated. Too much thinking not enough KISS.
I picked up my copy at the game and am now about 1/3 into it. Fascinating read so far. What stands out to me is the way Angus immediately took to Dorazio and his style and embraced it. Angus was doubting he would ever make it after his second year in BC with Tim Hook as OLC. When his phone rang in January 2003 showing BC Lions on his call display his heart dropped as he expected it was the team calling to tell him he had been released. Instead it was Dorazio introducing himself as the new OLC and inviting Angus to get together over lunch to get to know each other. The relationship was born.

It's easy to tell that Dorazio is all about technical. However Angus also details how Dan breaks a complicated process into a bunch of KISS steps and worked him through them one step at a time, mastering step 1 before moving on to master step 2. Angus realized it would be critical that he master the technical details because he lacked in just about every physical attribute needed to play on the OL; too short, arms shorter than normal for a guy barely 6'1", feet smaller than an average OL, hands smaller than an average OL etc. In an interesting chapter he goes through in detail those attributes what they allow the player to do......and sheepishly how he struck out on all counts.

I think Angus was somewhat like one of those bottom 6 NHL forwards who were never the most gifted offensively or biggest or fastest skaters but forged long careers by learning, understanding, mastering and executing all the little details that would allow them to overcome their physical shortcomings. I think Angus took to Dan like a duck to water because he quickly understood this was a guy who could make him the best he could be.

From what I've read to date I think it will open the eyes of a lot of Dorazio detractors if they choose to read it with any semblance of an open mind.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:03 pm
However I can't think he had the highest regard for Dorazio when for the first time ever as a starter he was no longer invited to off season meetings as well as the off season money owed. Few players will publicly say it - but none of them are happy when they feel they're being screwed.
I just got through that phase in Angus' book. He had covered the "good girth" episode when BC drafted Valli. He had already gone through all of his own physical shortcomings. He also detailed his foot injury late in the 2009 season. I think it was the following offseason leading into 2010 that you are referring to. Until I read that last night I never realized how bad that injury was. I always took it to be a badly broken foot. Put it in a cast for a while, take the cast off, rehab a bit and good as new. By Angus' account he literally broke his foot in half. All the bones and ligaments that connected the front of his foot to be back of it were broken and torn. As he said the only thing that held the two halves together were the skin of his foot and the shoe. During that offseason I don't think either the Lions nor Angus knew if he'd even be able to play again much less be the starter. Angus said his foot was more club than foot with a criss-cross of screws holding it together. Because of the doubt in Reid's post-injury ability to return to form that they tried to go in another direction I don't think was a surprise even to Angus. They offered him the opportunity to be backup centre and mentor. As you say typically players don't like that. They never do but are always first to acknowledge that it is part of the business. I don't think Angus was any different but he accepted it and was determined to work his tail off to win his starting job back. Ironically that dogged determination came from the very foundation that Dorazio had instilled in Reid along the way. As it was Angus made the club and dressed as the 7th OL (break glass and open in case of emergency). As fate would have it during a game early in the season a starting guard went down. A few plays later another OL went down and Angus was in! As he had no expectations of playing he first had to scramble to remember where on the bench he'd left his helmet.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Great to see the Lions have FINALLY added another tier of pricing for sideline seats between the 20-and-40-yard-lines for 2019. Given the huge chunk of empty seats in these sections in recent years, it's a step in the right direction. However, saving $20 per seat over the entire season compared to the top tier (40-55-yard-line) isn't exactly going to get people jumping on board.

But a thumbs up for also including kids pricing for this new tier of pricing $13.80 per game which is a terrific deal!

https://www.bclions.com/seasontickets/
David
Team Captain

There are several things about this club that piss me off: the discontinuation of "Roar You Lions, Roar" (I'll settle for hearing it once during the 3rd quarter stretch), the roof constantly being closed (is there a law against opening/closing it DURING a game??), the sloppy use of different shades of orange in their uniforms and merchandising. Pick a Pantone guys, and stick with it. Hopefully burnt orange. And complete lack of creativity with the scoreboard.

But I have to hand it to the club last week. They nailed Family Day. Lots of kids at the game. Lots of things for kids to see and do. And best of all, bringing a kid out during the introductions. Each child was introduced with a member of the defence. A great idea that was well executed. :thup:

Roar, You Lions, Roar