Official NFL Thread: 2014-2015 Season

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

notahomer
Hall of Famer

RE: the 2014 NFL draft.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Irrelevant

IIRC, the Seattle Seahawks will be the team drafting 'Mr. Irrelevant' this draft. This is neat, IMO, because their team culture is made up out of so many late drafts and undrafted players, you wonder if the player might be Mr. Relevant due to Seahawk culture? All pro sports teams seem to prize, at least in theory, undrafted players. However, IMO, the Seahawks are exceptional in this area.........
South Pender
Legend

notahomer wrote:
South Pender wrote:I fully agree on AC and Ricky Ray on recent QBs. Of course, Doug Flutie was certainly elite. I'll have to give this more thought; there must be more if we go back a bit. But, I don't think that's what you mean; you mean still playing or just retired, right? So I think just AC and Ricky Ray. Burris has been a little too up and down to be seen as elite. Durant is definitely, in my opinion anyway, NOT elite. Perhaps with a few more years, Lulay might get into that class, but I doubt it.
Oh yeah, of course there would be a LOT more if we go back to previous eras. Elite can even mean different things in different eras. When categorizing ELITE in a league like the CFL, I think there can only be one/two of the current roster of QBs. All-time? Completely different matter, IMO. I don't think there is A NUMBER but certainly each era would have a contender. I don't even believe you are considered an 'elite' QB just because you made the Hall of Fame. I'm probably NOT going to include Damon Allen but certainly an arguement could be made just because he was one of those QB's who WON a lot of games/GreyCups. Then again, Eli has two Superbowl rings but certainly up/down enough to not be elite.

It really, really DOES NOT matter but just for conversations sake, in your opinion, was Dan Marino an elite QB? When I say 'it doesn't matter' I'm not slagging your opinion, of course :wink: just saying I doubt it means much to anyone, especially him. He made the Hall.......
Oh, absolutely I think Dan Marino was an elite QB. The NFL lists we're seeing now are for guys still playing--Manning, Brady, Rodgers (and I'd add Brees).
South Pender
Legend

notahomer wrote:RE: the 2014 NFL draft.....

IIRC, the Seattle Seahawks will be the team drafting 'Mr. Irrelevant' this draft. This is neat, IMO, because their team culture is made up out of so many late drafts and undrafted players, you wonder if the player might be Mr. Relevant due to Seahawk culture? All pro sports teams seem to prize, at least in theory, undrafted players. However, IMO, the Seahawks are exceptional in this area.........
That's an interesting article, nota--a fun read. After reading it, I discovered that one of the Mr. Irrelevants was Chief's kicker Ryan Succop (pronounced SUCK-up). Now how would you like to go through life with that name? Of course, when he missed a game-winning field goal against the Chargers, which had the effect of letting the game go into overtime, and the Chargers eventually win, the Steeler players (who, as a result, were eliminated from the playoffs) changed the "S" to an "F" in his name! :wink: The 1950 Mr. Irrelevant, Dud Parker, was appropriately named....
notahomer
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:
notahomer wrote:RE: the 2014 NFL draft.....

That's an interesting article, nota--a fun read. After reading it, I discovered that one of the Mr. Irrelevants was Chief's kicker Ryan Succop (pronounced SUCK-up). Now how would you like to go through life with that name? Of course, when he missed a game-winning field goal against the Chargers, which had the effect of letting the game go into overtime, and the Chargers eventually win, the Steeler players (who, as a result, were eliminated from the playoffs) changed the "S" to an "F" in his name! :wink: The 1950 Mr. Irrelevant, Dud Parker, was appropriately named....
My first name is a common Beattle song so I get sung to by people who get introduced to me all the time. One of my grandmothers friends was upset that her son was changing his last name. His wife/him were having a son and he changed the family name to Alcott. He said there was NO WAY his son was going to live being teased as the family name before was Alcock.

I can't imagine some of the names that get used either on the field or in the lockerroom. Squire Barnes used to make fun out of a lot of players when he first broke into the local sportscasting scene. Don Taylor is always going on about his 'all name team' and a lot of them are funny. Coco Crisp is one that just pops into mind.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

There has been some discussion regarding how the Seahawks built their Superbowl title team. Here is an interesting article on how the NFC teams have built their teams (Free agency, draft, etc...)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... of-the-nfc
South Pender
Legend

I've been babbling for some time now about the Seahawks' need for a big, fast WR to replace Sidney Rice (who almost certainly won't be back in 2014). I had thought that they might try to pick one up via free agency, but here's a Bleacher Report video piece on this perceived need by the 'Hawks (seems I'm not alone in this!), with Jerry Brewer of the Seattle Times:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1960 ... n-matthews

Brewer thinks the Seahawks will address this need via the draft. Both Doug Baldwin (who will almost certainly be back) and Golden Tate (who may be back) are 5-10, and Percy Harvin is 5-11. The only WR that played some in 2013 and is over 6 ft. is 2nd-year man Jermaine Kearse, at 6-1, and he could develop into a good receiver with his 4.43 speed, but he went undrafted in 2012. They have another tall guy in Ricardo Lockette (6-2, 209) with incredible speed (4.34), but there must be some warts on this guy as he has bounced around a lot and didn't play much last season. Sidney Rice is 6-4, 202, but hasn't lived up to his perceived potential with the Seahawks and, of course, went out with the torn ACL his past season. The 'Hawks can save over $7M in cap dollars by cutting him, and the betting is that the team will do this.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And speaking of Seahawks cap cuts, there's this brief piece posted by Rick Brisse and citing Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports, in which there is speculation that Rice, Chris Clemons, and Zach Miller are likely cap cuts:

http://sportsglory.com/nfl/seahawks-lik ... ller/13843

I would think Rice for sure, and likely Clemons too, if they try to meet Michael Bennett's salary demands to keep him. If they can't sign Bennett, I can't see them dumping Clemons though--their stand-up Leo end. I had thought that they might try to restructure Zach Miller's contract, rather than cut him. Miller is another guy, something like Rice, who came to the 'Hawks with tons of potential from the Raiders, but hasn't really lived up to expectations. But he does have experience and is a fairly good blocker; so I'm not convinced that he'll necessarily be gone.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

There is no question that the recieving crew of the Seahawks has not gotten much respect. The fact they seem to continue to not get that respect, will only continue feeding that "US against the World" culture that every football team has but that the Seahawks have taken to a new level. IOW, keep it up South P, your gonna help them REPEAT :wink:

I have to admit I have been feeling that crew maybe suspect too but their efforts in the NFC Championship game and the Superbowl, have tempered my concern somewhat. If they can get a burner with height in the draft? GREAT. Otherwise, these guys helped the Seahawks win. Kearse and Baldwin in particular impressed me.....
The Monday after didn't seem to have much more on the Wells report. I'm still a little baffled in one area. Head Coach Sean Payton was suspended FOR A YEAR due to Bountygate. As one reporter on NFL network said (can't recall his name) Head Coach Philbin seems to be getting a pass. Okay he got support in the report BUT SO WHAT. This happened on his watch. A player contemplated KILLING HIMSELF due to a microculture of the team he is the Head Coach on. A assistant trainer DID NOT FEEL COMFORTABLE approaching him. Apparently rookie hazing on the Dolphins did not START until 2012. Not sure where the reporter got that fact but still.
Some Lionbackers (can't remember names and it doesn't matter) have questioned "LeaderShip Councils". This concept is very common in football and other sports. Its meant as a way of Coaches getting some information on how the lockerroom is going and a way for players (via their leadership council) being able to communicate with Coaches indirectly. For e.g. if everyone says the food sucks at the hotel caterer, maybe they switch caterers?. Anyway, what seems to be a real flaw, IN THIS ONE CASE, is that Martins representative on the leadership council is none other than Cognito!!! Problem is that I'm betting these councils need to be set up by the players and if thats who they picked....
Suggs restructured his deal to give the Ravens cap-room. This is one of those puzzlers to me. WHY do you sign a guy to a contract if you are not going to honour it? NFL/CFL are leagues where the players are expected to honour contracts but really the players sole insurance is up front money. Smart agents get this written into the contract so that lump sum payments are DUE the day a player is on the roster. So, a team has to cut him MONTHS before training camp, if they don't intend to keep him. Once he's been paid, they are reluctant to cut. Suggs certainly said all the right things in a presser but I'm still baffled. I'm starting to understand more why players hold out etc... I used to say, "A contract is a contract" but now it seems that is only true for the players. Just my :2cents:

It does also point to some flaws in how teams are organized, IMO. If Suggs needs a contract shave to help make the Ravens more competitive what about Flacco. He didn't look that amazing last season, IMO. Why is he making Manning-money and not even making the playoffs. I hope Flacco gets a shave too. This is one obvious advantage Seattle has. I'd much rather have Russell Wilson over Joe Flacco for the 2014 NFL season and having Wilson is going to give you ALMOST TWENTY MILLION DOLLARS in cap space, Flacco would cost you.....
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Sounds like my Ravens rant may have been misplaced. Suggs is actually ending up with 4 extra years on the deal but there is actually more guaranteed money in the earlier years of the deal. So he is not actually taking a shave on salary. Not sure how it works. I just mean, how does guaranteeing a guy more money in the earlier years of a deal, MAKE SPACE on a salary cap? :dizzy:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... ore-ravens
South Pender
Legend

I hear your point re "restructuring" of contracts, nota. In a way, it doesn't seem fair. On the other hand, sometimes a wildly-expensive contract can literally keep a team from building itself to a winner. A good example, I think, is Joe Flacco's $120.6M contract, signed after he'd won a Super Bowl with the Ravens. So, what does he do to show that this was money well-spent? Well, he goes out and has a memorably lousy season, rating 32nd among NFL quarterbacks, with a QB rating of 73.1, and falling below such icons as rookie Mike Glennon (83.9), Ryan Fitzpatrick (82.0), Kellen Clemens (78.8), rookie E.J. Manuel (77.7), Jason Campbell (76.9), and the illustrious Chad Henne (76.5). So, you'd have to think that the Ravens would wish they could have some of this money back and add players they desperately need in other places in order to return to competitiveness.

I tend to think that with salaries so out-of-whack with respect to football players' real contribution to society, asking a guy to consider taking $5M instead of $6.5M is not totally unreasonable, although you're right that a contract is a contract. I think the Seahawks will ask a couple of their players to consider restructuring their contracts this off-season. One guy that I'd ask this of is Zach Miller, who with something like a $6M cap hit, just hasn't lived up to the promise he showed in Oakland. Another guy with a big cap hit, I think, is Chris Clemons, and, now with Michael Bennett at risk of being lost, Clemons will have to take less, I believe. The biggest example with this with the 'Hawks is Sidney Rice, whose $7.3M cap hit is crippling, given how the team has evolved. I think Rice is almost-certainly gone unless they lose Golden Tate, in which case, they may try to hang on to Rice.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I think a team should just CUT the player. He goes back on the market and if he chooses to resign, he can. Flacco had better start earning that $$$ he made. Certainly not worth it based on his stats last season. Doubt he'd ever be worth it.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

My name is Notahomer and I am a footballaholic........

Looking forward to this weekends NFL combine. Will get to hear lots about Sam and other issues. Johnny Football is making manningesque statements (You'll regret drafting me if you don't). I don't know much about the guy except he won a Heismann in 2012. NFL network has him being like a Doug Flutie.
South Pender
Legend

Yeah...footballholics, unite!

The news today is that Sidney Rice will be cut by the Seahawks. Not at all surprising and will free up something like $7.3M of cap space. The 'Hawks will need this to re-sign Michael Bennett and Golden Tate, two guys they'd like to keep. I think we'll see some more big cuts (or restructurings; think Zach Miller, Red Bryant, Chris Clemons, Breno Giacomini) by the Seahawks in the days ahead. I hope that, even if they keep Tate, they go after another WR via either FA, trade, or the draft.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10496 ... e-seahawks

Evidently, Pete Carroll was really talking-up Christine Michael at the NFL Combine. Now, I do think this guy's good--could be great (5-10, 221, almost exactly Marshawn Lynch size, and runs a 4.43 40)--but is Pete putting Christine out there as trade bait? :hmm:
Actually, I hope not, as I think Michael is better than Robert Turbin, current #2 RB.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:Yeah...footballholics, unite!

The news today is that Sidney Rice will be cut by the Seahawks. Not at all surprising and will free up something like $7.3M of cap space. .......

Yup, saw it as a blurb on NFL network. The rumour is the cap is going up about 4 Million, but still the Seahawks want to get some of the other pieces signed. Being a vetran NFLer is certainly 'not paying' literally. Suggs was very close to being cut, according to some sources. I still don't get why Flacco is not being hounded. purrfect storm I guess. Win the Superbowl and the GM writes you a check he's got not business writing you. And it hurts the GM, Coaches, Raven's players and even Flacco. Sure he might of taken a lower salary but if he's got better pieces around, he'll do fine..... Besides all the guy with the extra dough was go to McDonalds...... :wink:
notahomer
Hall of Famer

http://www.nfl.com/combine/story/0ap200 ... -nfl-draft

So, Teddy Bridgewater thinks he's the best QB in this years draft? I've always been curious as to why QB's come to the NFL Combine but then choose NOT to throw? Going to try and figure out why. Guess there is nothing to gain by throwing..... IOW, if you throw well, it doesn't help but if you don't throw well....
notahomer
Hall of Famer

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1065 ... fl-combine

Good piece on what I was wondering about, IMO. Should QB's throw at the combine? Almost wonder if a player should compete PERIOD at the combine? I know the interview process would help but lots of the other stuff....does it really matter? The NFL combine is weird simply because it DOES NOT truly showcase football play. Yes, they have a 40 yard time. Yes they have other drills, including jump height, etc... Yes, they test players for how much they can bench etc... But, IMO, and the opinions of many others, FOOTBALL is how one truly sees whether a player is good for the NFL or not. Russell Wilson DID NOT impress, I think at his combine. He's getting a ring soon for leading his team to a Superbowl win.
I know I mentioned this before but I'm looking forward to an upcoming Kevin Costner movie called 'Draft Day' which will be a drama movie about a team drafting for an NFL team (I'm guessing). Comes out April 11 and I am going to make the effort to catch it in theatre. Doubt it will be anything super spectactular. There have been some good sports movies, IMO, that have made it to the big screen. I enjoyed INVINCIBLE, about an Philly Eagle. I enjoyed the movie with Matthew Mc. about rebuilding the Marshall football program after most of it was wiped out in a plane crash. And MONEYBALL, where specialized stats are used to build a successful baseball team. I doubt I'll learn too much watching Draft Day, but I am looking forward to watching it anyway. My bet is they'll probably explain the Cowboys draft scenario system which has been pretty much copied by all NFL teams now......