Riders 35 Lions 14 Post Game Comments and Stats

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

The X receiver (left slotback) is the go to receiver in the Lions offensive scheme. If we had wanted Arseneaux to be our go to receiver we would have put him there and moved Moore back outside, where he sometimes played, including last year's WDF. Moore is third in receiving in the CFL this season. Simon is 28th. Last season Simon was 18th and Gore and Harris had more reception yardage than him.

I really don't believe Buono traded for Pierce to get more experience at backup quarterback. Wally has almost always had inexperienced backup quarterbacks. It goes with developing your own. For example, we had Casey Printers going into the 2004 season as our backup, with only 4 reps and the season before we had Spurgeon Wynn and Printers. We had Buck Pierce and Jarious Jackson as our backups with no experience behind Dickenson. Lulay had no experience as a quarterback when he was in the backup position.

Having an experienced backup quarterback on the roster has never been a priority for Wally. Developing his own has been.

I'm sure my next comment will be controversial but I believe we mainly traded for Pierce to push or give a message to Lulay at the time. Your starting quarterback should be your offensive leader. Wally emphasized at the time of the trade for Pierce that he made it to improve leadership on our Leos He also made an indirect comment at the time that indicated some unhappiness with Lulay.

My sense of it was that Buono thought Lulay was too comfortable, with no experienced backup or that Lulay was not being the leader he should be and Pierce was brought in to provide a message. I really don't believe we brought in Buck for any other major reason and we had little intention of playing him.....and I also don't believe Pierce will be a Leo next season.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Blitz wrote:The X receiver (left slotback) is the go to receiver in the Lions offensive scheme. If we had wanted Arseneaux to be our go to receiver we would have put him there and moved Moore back outside, where he sometimes played, including last year's WDF. Moore is third in receiving in the CFL this season. Simon is 28th. Last season Simon was 18th and Gore and Harris had more reception yardage than him.

I really don't believe Buono traded for Pierce to get more experience at backup quarterback. Wally has almost always had inexperienced backup quarterbacks. It goes with developing your own. For example, we had Casey Printers going into the 2004 season as our backup, with only 4 reps and the season before we had Spurgeon Wynn and Printers. We had Buck Pierce and Jarious Jackson as our backups with no experience behind Dickenson. Lulay had no experience as a quarterback when he was in the backup position.

Having an experienced backup quarterback on the roster has never been a priority for Wally. Developing his own has been.

I'm sure my next comment will be controversial but I believe we mainly traded for Pierce to push or give a message to Lulay at the time. Your starting quarterback should be your offensive leader. Wally emphasized at the time of the trade for Pierce that he made it to improve leadership on our Leos He also made an indirect comment at the time that indicated some unhappiness with Lulay.

My sense of it was that Buono thought Lulay was too comfortable, with no experienced backup or that Lulay was not being the leader he should be and Pierce was brought in to provide a message. I really don't believe we brought in Buck for any other major reason and we had little intention of playing him.....and I also don't believe Pierce will be a Leo next season.

I agree a 100% with your "controversial" comment Bltiz, and this is why I made the "Lions have thrown Lulay to the wolves" remark...this is exactly why Pierce was brought back and it was the exactly WRONG move by Buono, one again...he need to SUPPORT his franchise QB because he is the heart and soul of this football team...Lulay constantly took the blame when it should have gone elsewhere...he stood up for teammates and the team...his character is BEYONG REPROACH...the only mistake that Lulay made this season was constantly bailing to his right while under lethal pressure...you don't send your MOP QB a message for doing this, as you have pointed out time and again, you get him help and TEACH him to get better...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I think Pierce was brought in to help provide some veteran leadership in the locker room. Wally and Benevides commented repeatedly about the team's lack if urgency and intensity, especially on the road. The loss of Angus Reid's leadership and experience on and off the field has really hurt the team. With offensive team captain Geroy Simon also gone, the Lions lost more than two decades of veteran experience. Pierce was brought in to help fill that void.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I don't disagree with you Blitz on the Arceneaux different position argument. but in the cast of receivers that the Lions started with this year, Arceneaux made the most buzz. When he left, he was perceived to have been on the cusp of being a game changer, he was fresh off an NFL stint and because he had played here before, it was generally perceived that he was the now the experienced man of the group. Injured or no, he hasn't provided the leadership in the receiver corp that I think it was hoped he would bring. I'm not trying to slag him but he was a big splash that has really only been a ripple so far. That may change but to this point, it certainly hasn't been the boost we thought it would be. Perhaps it has a lot to do with our "scheme" and failing again to make the best use of the tools you have. It also brings back into focus why we let Simon and Bruce leave at the same time and basically gutted ourselves of that veteran presence that seems to be so important.

If Buono brought back Pierce to send a message to Lulay as you contend, then this would be another example of how there seems to be a problem at the leadership level. Most of us don't think that Lulay lost his leadership skills but many of us think that he has struggled under an OC whose game planning doesn't seem to play to Lulay's strengths. Much like others have struggled under JC as time has progressed including Pierce, Jackson, Dickenson, Printers and now Lulay. Which brings me back to my assertion that some changes in the coaching dept mindset are required. That is the support that Wally should have given his starter, not try and send him a "message".

As for developing the QB. You are right, WB has developed from within but he has often had the luxury of leaving a QB like DeMarco in a position of development longer than he has on this occassion. If he wants to run that way then fine, leave the #2 spot for a developing project, but try to put some kind of experience in the #3 position. Someone that you are willing to play if need be. You have to have some experience to back up your main guy somewhere or you are leaving yourself wide open for the kind of situation we find ourselves in now. #1 injured, likely needing a couple of games at least to get back in form if he gets back at all which I don't think is a given at this point, a raw green rookie starting and an oft injured "message" who really wasn't intended to play (if you are correct in your assessment) as the backup.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Blitz wrote:Andrew Harris slept in, missed the flight, and had to pay commercial to get to Regina. Not good timing for Harris to sleep in.
Did anybody else see Harris doing his Tim Thomas imitation? If anybody has seen Thomas in his days as a Bruin they will have seen him heading for the bench and dressing room like he was shot out of a cannon after giving up the winning goal in a shootout. Last night he was the ball carrier on the final play. The tunnel to visitor locker room is behind the Rider bench at Mosaic. After he was tackled he was off like a shot heading to the BC locker room. TSN had a field level camera showing the Riders trotting onto the field for the post game ritual and I noticed a whilte jersey and helmet sprinting behind them. I think Harris was probably in the locker room by the time Benevides and Chamblin did the obligatory coach's handshake.

This is funny now because LU reports Harris has some type of 'quad' issue. Obviously, I'm not saying injuries to players are funny, of course NOT. But, it is weird that he could move that quickly to the dressing room post-game but apparently he's sore now.......
MexicoLionFan
Legend

notahomer wrote:
Hambone wrote:
Blitz wrote:Andrew Harris slept in, missed the flight, and had to pay commercial to get to Regina. Not good timing for Harris to sleep in.
Did anybody else see Harris doing his Tim Thomas imitation? If anybody has seen Thomas in his days as a Bruin they will have seen him heading for the bench and dressing room like he was shot out of a cannon after giving up the winning goal in a shootout. Last night he was the ball carrier on the final play. The tunnel to visitor locker room is behind the Rider bench at Mosaic. After he was tackled he was off like a shot heading to the BC locker room. TSN had a field level camera showing the Riders trotting onto the field for the post game ritual and I noticed a whilte jersey and helmet sprinting behind them. I think Harris was probably in the locker room by the time Benevides and Chamblin did the obligatory coach's handshake.

This is funny now because LU reports Harris has some type of 'quad' issue. Obviously, I'm not saying injuries to players are funny, of course NOT. But, it is weird that he could move that quickly to the dressing room post-game but apparently he's sore now.......
Nota, I hope this is not a ploy by either Harris or the Lions...this feud needs to END right now...Harris is MASSIVELY important to our success moving forward, and he needs to grow up and the Lions need to reconcile right now...you don't ever trade an Andrew Harris unless you have no other choice...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
notahomer
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan wrote:Nota, I hope this is not a ploy by either Harris or the Lions...this feud needs to END right now...Harris is MASSIVELY important to our success moving forward, and he needs to grow up and the Lions need to reconcile right now...you don't ever trade an Andrew Harris unless you have no other choice...
I kinda, slightly broke a :rules: . I should have posted the link to the piece from LU since he is the one who made the trek out to a foggy Surrey to post the info.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/10/22 ... for-lions/

Reading the blog piece again, its hard to tell what it means. That is not a judgment or comment on LU or his writing. I just mean at this point in the season, with the kinds of issues a team wants to manage (e.g. play to keep flow versus limit play to avoid injury) it is probably much ado about nothing. If he's needed, he'd go I'd bet.

I like what I hear out of guys like Dante Marsh. I have heard basically the same comment from him post-game and at least once post practice this week and it goes something like "THIS IS NOT BC LIONS FOOTBALL". Okay, kinda what you expect but still glad its not we're almost there, we are better than we look etc... Now he did kinda dance (a new Lions shuffle?) around those kinds of issues and reminded the reporter "there are a lot of guys on this team that came back from 1-6 to win it all". Like what I'm hearing. Obviously feel less optimistic than I did last season but look at how last season ended (I'm talking playoffs, here). :bang: