CFL: Rating the teams

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

but for a few inches and a missed fg and edmonton would be 3-3 while ham and mont would be 1-5.

edmonton still beats ham on points and hasnt the luxery of playing wpg yet.

edmonton loses in montreal by about 5 inches. I think edmonton still the better team

I go against the grain and put them at 5.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:1  Riders ... They lose to Calgary.  About even.

2  Stamps ... Tossup with the Riders IMO.

3  Argos ... Likely to win the East and get to the Cup.  Ricky Ray as good or better than ever.  

4  Lions ... Feasting on the bottom dwellers.  Able to challenge the ones above?  Maybe.  If JC and Stubler show us superior game planning.  They have done  it in the past.

Some questions ...

Predictable O?  

Trying to turn Lulay into Dave Dickenson, into a pocket passer?

D Line too old, too small, worn down with mileage? 

D Line not designed to stop ferocious running games?

D Line able to pressure the QB?

Enough roster flexibility to allow 6 man D Line rotation?

Previous coaching advantage negated by innovative coaches such as Hufnagel/Dickenson, Cortez and Milanovich/Jones?

5 TiCats ... I still believe in Austin. We'll see how that holds.

6 Alouettes ... Calvillo cranky.  Berry acting as OC without title.  Some dysfunction after the Hawkins disaster.

7 Bombers ... I think Burke is slightly better than Reed.  LOL  QB schmozzle.  They have some talent, especially on D.

8 Eskimos ... Reed is looking curiouser and curiouser.  They are fixing to get Reilly knocked out.  Any easing of the pain of the fans?  Don't think so.
That 2 versus 8 Labour Day home&home isn't looking to be the usual Classic that it is often known for.  Could easily be the end of the end for the Esks......

In some ways I think the west needs the Lions to stay within shouting distance.  I know its not Labour Day yet.  We won a divison after starting 1-5.  I get it.  But, when there gets to be distance, I think the wheels come off easier.  For eg in 2011 we stunk but we weren't the only team that stunk (record wise).  Being 1-5 is bad, but at least, IIRC, the Riders were struggling that year too.  

WCJ, I agree with your rating of the Ticats.  They are struggling too but I don't think they seem as far away from success as the Bombers/Al's.  Kinda a backhanded compliment but guess we'll see......
notahomer, our next game against the Stamps will tell us a lot about our team.

Benny does not seem all that worried, at least publicly. At 4 and 2, there is not the anxiety the staff feels as at 1 and 5.

As a fan, my three main concerns at this time are:

D Line personnel.

Defensive schemes. Can Stubler make it work with the guys we have, to stop Cornish and Sheets?

Offensive schemes. Can and will JC adapt the offence to make it once again unpredictable, diverse and subtle, with solid anti blitz preparation?

These two coordinators have done it in the past, scheming their teams to the title. But as I have commented a number of times the level of coaching in the CFL keeps rising. Adapt or die seems to be the case. Adapt game to game. Adapt within the game.

The Stampeders game of August 17 will tell us a lot.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:The Stampeders game of August 17 will tell us a lot.
Been stoked about this game for weeks WC Joe and last night only proved why. We are about find out how good the Lions record really is after playing only one experienced QB (Ray) in their last 5 games which resulted in a 4-1 run.

I used to think Montreal had the best oline in the league with non-imports to boot. Now that honour falls to the Stamps and followed closely by the Riders. No doubt Cornish is a major talent but the Stamps run blocking is superb. The start of last night's game looked identical to week one against BC where Cornish doesn't get touched until he is 5 or 6 yards down field at full speed. Outstanding block schemes with their receivers playing a part too. Take note Chapdelaine and Dorazio!!! Don't see Harris have those kind of running lanes.

Just a huge huge test for a Lions front seven that still has a lot of question marks after that week one performance that need to be answered. Lose to the Stamps and 1st place could be a real uphill climb with Calgary having the annual back to back with the Eskimos on the horizon, never mind the Riders having the same with the Bombers.

Thumped by the Stamps in week #17 last season, then the Western Final and week #1 this season. Lose in similar fashion again Saturday and some serious changes need to be made.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:
Been stoked about this game for weeks WC Joe and last night only proved why. We are about find out how good the Lions record really is after playing only one experienced QB (Ray) in their last 5 games which resulted in a 4-1 run.

I used to think Montreal had the best oline in the league with non-imports to boot. Now that honour falls to the Stamps and followed closely by the Riders. No doubt Cornish is a major talent but the Stamps run blocking is superb. The start of last night's game looked identical to week one against BC where Cornish doesn't get touched until he is 5 or 6 yards down field at full speed. Outstanding block schemes with their receivers playing a part too. Take note Chapdelaine and Dorazio!!! Don't see Harris have those kind of running lanes.

Just a huge huge test for a Lions front seven that still has a lot of question marks after that week one performance that need to be answered. Lose to the Stamps and 1st place could be a real uphill climb with Calgary having the annual back to back with the Eskimos on the horizon, never mind the Riders having the same with the Bombers.

Thumped by the Stamps in week #17 last season, then the Western Final and week #1 this season. Lose in similar fashion again Saturday and some serious changes need to be made.
Bang on, Sammy. :thup:

Cornish and Sheets are running behind terrific O Lines.

When the Stamps D Line stuffed the Riders O Line in the first half, Sheets was minus yards. The Riders O Line got off their duffs in the second half and blocked very well for Sheets. And he exploded. Ordinary before that.

I would love to see Harris running behind those O Lines. Our guys have been pumped to block for Harris, as with any O Line blocking for a great back, but our blocking personnel and running game schemes do not match the ferocity of the Stamps and Riders, it seems to me.

Harris earned some extremely tough yards against a motivated Bomber D keying on him. I rate Harris in the class of Sheets and Cornish as a running back, but superior as a receiver. But then I am a huge Harris fan.

This Stampeders game certainly looms large. I am optimistic, but very concerned. If we roll out the usual stuff, scheme wise, I believe we will be in trouble.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The upcoming games against the Stamps, Als and Sask in September will tell how good the Lions really are.
South Pender
Legend

I'm hoping to hear about one or two new guys at practice tomorrow (or Tuesday), but haven't heard anything about new arrivals. We're just not quite good enough with our present personnel, particularly on D, but I think we're close. A big, nasty addition to the D-line would make a huge difference. On O, questions remain at RG. Harris won't have the success of Sheets and Cornish without help there, in my opinion.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
SammyGreene wrote:

Bang on, Sammy. :thup:

Cornish and Sheets are running behind terrific O Lines.

When the Stamps D Line stuffed the Riders O Line in the first half, Sheets was minus yards. The Riders O Line got off their duffs in the second half and blocked very well for Sheets. And he exploded. Ordinary before that.

I would love to see Harris running behind those O Lines. Our guys have been pumped to block for Harris, as with any O Line blocking for a great back, but our blocking personnel and running game schemes do not match the ferocity of the Stamps and Riders, it seems to me.

Harris earned some extremely tough yards against a motivated Bomber D keying on him. I rate Harris in the class of Sheets and Cornish as a running back, but superior as a receiver. But then I am a huge Harris fan.

This Stampeders game certainly looms large. I am optimistic, but very concerned. If we roll out the usual stuff, scheme wise, I believe we will be in trouble.
Things shift in the CFL and it seems now that the teams like CAL and SASK with their ability to run effectively are having great success vs the pass first and most teams. These are two very well coached teams and the offensive structure of the Stamps allows QBs like Glenn who a bit banged up to come back in and not re-injured right away.

The irony is that Taman who many including myself have criticized is the one who chose the unproven HC and the entire Riders structure in coaching rests on his GM watch. It must pain Greg Marshall to look there and see how if Taman was in charge and not Miller how he might have survived. If only.... Mind you Durant hated playing for Doug Berry and that was a killer for both of Marshall and he along with the fact that Miller never apparently really left.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote: On O, questions remain at RG. Harris won't have the success of Sheets and Cornish without help there, in my opinion.
Hopefully the return of Angus Reid and Matt Norman moving over to guard will provide the answer.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

A little reassuring to just hear Wally on the TEAM 1040 say the Lions weren’t embarrassed in week one but the Stamps, they were humiliated. Calling it a “huge” game at this juncture of the season, don’t expect the GM to sit tight if the Lions are dominated by the Stamps for the fourth consecutive game.

I do think the Lions' entire off-season planning, from personnel to schemes are somewhat on the line Saturday. A close loss would perhaps justify staying the course but if the offence sputters and Cornish runs wild then the Lions need to look closely at everything.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:A little reassuring to just hear Wally on the TEAM 1040 say the Lions weren’t embarrassed in week one but the Stamps, they were humiliated. Calling it a “huge” game at this juncture of the season, don’t expect the GM to sit tight if the Lions are dominated by the Stamps for the fourth consecutive game.

I do think the Lions' entire off-season planning, from personnel to schemes are somewhat on the line Saturday. A close loss would perhaps justify staying the course but if the offence sputters and Cornish runs wild then the Lions need to look closely at everything.
Players' careers could be at stake. But this game will also show if JC and Stubler have adapted to some new realities in the CFL.

Vigorous running games.

Defences that key on Harris, and that spy Lulay.

Based on 6 games, I can't help but feel that coordinators around the league have pretty good books on our O and D. Coordinators have adapted. What was effective for us, after our epiphany in 2011 and large parts of 2012 has been somewhat negated by innovative game planning against us. Did we get comfortable with our ideas?

Adapt or die. We will soon see. We know that Hufnagel and Dickenson will not roll out the same old game plan. It will be geared for us in detail.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Exactly WC Joe :thup: The heat should be turned up significantly on the coaching staff. Two weeks to prepare for this game. There has to be some new wrinkles on both sides of the ball.
The Lions said the entire off-season they just failed to show up for the Western Final — to the point where the Stamps felt insulted and used it as motivation to thump them again in the season opener.

We'll find out Saturday if the Lions still are a top tier team or belong on the shelf below. And based on a potential 4-3 record and the money Wally threw around in the off-season to keep the core of this team happy. That would be nowhere near good enough.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:I'm hoping to hear about one or two new guys at practice tomorrow (or Tuesday), but haven't heard anything about new arrivals. We're just not quite good enough with our present personnel, particularly on D, but I think we're close. A big, nasty addition to the D-line would make a huge difference. On O, questions remain at RG. Harris won't have the success of Sheets and Cornish without help there, in my opinion.
Chism, a 23-year-old Washington, D.C., native, who spent part of 2012 with Indianapolis before being released, was also brought in for depth purposes. He signed with the Colts as an undrafted free agent after starting 32 of his 44 games at Maryland, where he returned two interceptions for touchdowns.

But he was released in September and did not receive another NFL opportunity this year.

"He's a guy that's been on the radar a little bit," said Benevides.

Notes--The Lions knew of Chism from his days at Maryland and the fact he attended the same Forestville, Md., high school as B.C. defensive backs coach Mark Washington.
Hey. Josh Bell. How you doin'?
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

CFL.ca Staff

Saskatchewan Roughriders (5-1-0)
Change: Even
Fresh off the bye, the Roughriders weren't able to remain undefeated, falling to the Stampeders in a heated battle at McMahon Stadium. Despite the loss, CFL.ca feels the Riders deserve at least another week at the top. We'll see if they can bounce back at home next week against the Alouettes.

Calgary Stampeders (5-1-0)
A massive performance by Jon Cornish that led to an even bigger win over their rivals wasn't enough to propel them to the top - but they're getting close. A win over the powerful Lions in BC in Week 8 might change things in next week's rankings.

Toronto Argonauts (4-2-0)
Statement made? You bet. Thanks to their 38-13 win over the Alouettes in Montreal, it's safe to say the East has a new beast. A crucial stretch of three-straight home games begins this week when the Eskimos come to town. Is it a trap game for the confident Argos? Not if Ricky Ray has anything to say about it.

BC Lions (4-2-0)
While we're still waiting for Travis Lulay and the rest of BC's offence to explode (he hasn't thrown for 300 yards in a game yet this season) the Lions remain in the four spot with an important clash with Calgary on the horizon. Is Saturday night the night BC's attack finally gets it going?

Hamilton Tiger-Cats (2-4-0)
Change: +3
A win over the Eskimos heading into the bye was exactly what the Tiger-Cats needed to get themselves back into the thick of things in the East. Andy Fantuz hasn't been cleared to play yet, but he's getting there, which means the Ticats could start making some noise.

Edmonton Eskimos (1-5-0)
Another game, another last-second loss for the Eskimos. If Mike Reilly can somehow find a way to translate his late-game heroics into a full 60-minute effort, the Esks could be a lot higher on this list in the near future.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers (1-5-0)
Four-straight losses for the Bombers brought on massive changes in both the front office and on the field. CFL rookie Max Hall will get the start under centre this week, but who will it be in Week 9? A looming home-and-home set with the Ticats could dictate their playoff future either for the better or for the worse.

Montreal Alouettes (2-4-0)
Change: -3
The Als drop three spots after looking flat and unfocused in their Thursday night loss to the Argonauts. With Dan Hawkins now out of the picture, it's clear Jim Popp and Doug Berry still have plenty of work to do.
David
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:I do think the Lions' entire off-season planning, from personnel to schemes are somewhat on the line Saturday. A close loss would perhaps justify staying the course but if the offence sputters and Cornish runs wild then the Lions need to look closely at everything.
I do think we'll see an inspired performance by our Leos on Saturday. Hopefully we'll see a decent crowd too to help pump the boys up even more. But you raise some great points SG. The club's off-season recruiting wasn't up to snuff this year. It didn't match the turnover of vets (Mitchell, Simon, Bruce, Reddick, Parker, Muamba etc). We filled some of those holes okay (i.e. Moore, Taylor, and McGarva on the PR), but depth seems to be seriously lacking. Cord Parks and Korey Williams were the only imports to make the active roster this year. Cord was obtained in a trade, and Korey hasn't even been activated every game. No one to push comfy vets (although Kyle Fischer took some 1st team reps at left tackle today for Ben Archibald). I don't get the sense that our practice roster players are exactly nipping at the heels of our veterans.

This malaise seems to have permeated through the entire organization. While the marketing department deserves some kudos around the 60th Anniversary (a work in progress - some good, some uninspired), and the additions of the Gridiron Deck and Family Section at BC Place, the club needs to step up its game. Everything this season seems perfunctory. Stale. Almost by rote: the "Pride" thing (it's getting old), the lack of hype, the same "have you bought your tickets yet" tweets, same old promos at the games. They're getting their butts kicked by the Whitecaps on the buzz-o-meter (and yes, I do realize that it's easy to manufacture interest when you're the shiny new toy).

A quick glance at Ticketmaster shows that tickets are moving above the level of past home games. So why not issue a statment like "the Lions are expecting their biggest crowd of the season Saturday in a showdown vs the Stampeders"? It sounds impressive but it's not really saying a whole lot. It just means they're on pace to beat the high water mark of 26,856 achieved last game, yet it would be the kind of "positive spin" they need. They're really horrible at generating hype. The club needs to stem the tide of negative comments coming from commentators like Tom Mayenknecht.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I hope the Stamps game is a big one in terms of crowd and quality of game. Three hours with a lot of Cornish right, Cornish left, Cornish up the middle, is not something I'll enjoy watching.

I am betting we may get a few late comers. Kickoff is an hour earlier than usual but personally suits me just fine.

Regardless of the result, I know this is just one game. Its just the first game we played against those Stamps was painful. Domination.

David, the Gridiron Deck you mentioned looks okay I guess. Not my cuppa tea but thats me. Probably the kind of thing the Lions need to do. No doubt a concept borrowed from elsewhere (NFL? Soccer?). Kinda like hanging out at the bar but you are actually at the stadium......

As for the ratings. Kinda surprised the Al's have fallen so far but I guess it all makes sense in a way (and I know the ratings are just that a figment of the imagination of TSN's algorithms. Betting the Riders rebound this week.