2013 British Columbia General Election Thread

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

Which party will you vote for in the 40th British Columbia general election?

Poll ended at Mon May 13, 2013 11:51 am

Liberal (Christy Clark)
54%
New Democratic (Adrian Dix)
15%
Conservative (John Cummins)
8%
Green (Jane Sterk)
23%

Total votes: 13
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Pretty much my assessment as well. Liked Dix's line about a "Fact Free" campaign. Good for a chuckle. Still finding myself tired of the old right left slant of BC politics. Thought Sterk looked ok but she seemed to be almost an afterthought at times as did Cummins. Thought Dix acquitted himself reasonably well although I do think that the constant hand motion maybe what has twigged some to peg him as nervous. Definitely a hand talker. Cummins just seems like a guy who is past it somehow. He may have some ideas with merit but that party will never get very far with him at the helm.

In all, found Clark to be a droner, Dix to be a loner, Sterk to be stoner and Cummins to be a bonafide also ran. :)
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:Pretty much my assessment as well. Liked Dix's line about a "Fact Free" campaign. Good for a chuckle. Still finding myself tired of the old right left slant of BC politics. Thought Sterk looked ok but she seemed to be almost an afterthought at times as did Cummins. Thought Dix acquitted himself reasonably well although I do think that the constant hand motion maybe what has twigged some to peg him as nervous. Definitely a hand talker. Cummins just seems like a guy who is past it somehow. He may have some ideas with merit but that party will never get very far with him at the helm.

In all, found Clark to be a droner, Dix to be a loner, Sterk to be stoner and Cummins to be a bonafide also ran. :)
Sounds like this debate may have fueled a career in stand-up for you......... Well put!
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Can one decline an edorsement like a football team can decline a penalty?

No obviously but you have to wonder if Christy Clark and the Liberals are happy that ex Liberal, ex PDA and ex NDP member Gordon Wilson has thrown his support firmly behind Clark and the Liberals. His reasoning makes 100% sense, IMO. Not that I agree with what he says, just saying its logical, IMO. That being said, his endorsement is one I would want just before I would want the endorsement of VanderZalm, for e.g. I think I would say thanks, but no thanks. I'm guessing Wilson did do the right thing and check it out with the Liberals. He knows hes the kind of person who could help/hurt. Then again, if Dix was able to use time to heal wounds, nothing wrong with Wilson doing the same.....

Polls are narrowing according to the media. Nows the crunch time. Methinks Dix and the NDP will have to start dipping into the attack mud bags because otherwise it may get too close for comfort. Pushing change was a good framework to build a campaign around, IMO, since many do want change but now many are wondering if that change should be the NDP.......
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

except with ndp, change is for the worse.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I must say, I do find it interesting that the NDP are 3rd in this Lionbackers poll. Clearly there isn't a huge amount of support for them in this neighbourhood. I do think that
(To the WhiteCaps Song....)

Green's not the colour
Orange is the Same
Red makes me nauseous
And Blue just comes up lame

Can a party run
That is not the same
And save us all
From the inane

Ok, I am a bit jaded. Hope I didn't offend!
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I'm guessing Dix and the NDP come up for the win, five seat majority in the House.

Best Ad- The liberals with their Dix waffling windy weathervane (how's that alliteration). Got a chuckle out of me so it did its job.

Best Campaign- Again, Liberals. No way I thought it would be close whatsoever come election night. I think the Liberals COULD (but I doubt it) pull it off. Thought this campaign was over before it started but Clark/Liberals made a game of it, IMO.

Smoothest Campaign- NDP. Playing the political equivlalent of the prevent defense, I think they did the least in all the ways. No red lights on a dare, a minimum of attack style ads and rope a dope. But in spite of the rope a dope, no knockout punches were even thrown, let alone landed.

First 'leader' to resign.... Cummins from the Conservatives. Had a chance pre election to be something but the in fighting beforehand left them grasping for air before the writ even dropped.

Now, before the next provincial election (unless Christy Clark and Liberals WIN a sizeable majority, IMO) Kevin Falcon maybe back. Just guessing, here. Have no facts or inside track/knowledge. Falcon would be a great leader, IMO, for either the Conservatives and/or the BC Liberals. Having some time off maybe all it takes to get that appetite for Victoria back.

Regardless of who wins tonight, I'm not going to miss the ads ( except the weathervane one).
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

This election is for Dix to lose. The Liberals have closed the gap but is it a little too late ? We'll find out.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

what I wouldnt give for independants to win every seat. I wonder how the Premier would be chosen then.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The 801 dump Christy movement is for real according to someone I know but how big it is is not known. She never ever had the support of her full caucus and after winning the leadership didn't call an election for that very reason. If the Libs win north of 30 seats out of 85 to me that should give her a pass to say on IMO only. She is to be credited for getting out across BC to help their party rather than be at home only in her hard to win riding trying to win a seat.

There is no one rushing back to lead the Liberal Party - we have to be realistic. That won't happen fast as that person would not have a seat anyway and there will be lots of time before the next election.

The worst thing would be a landslide for any party but there needs to always be a strong core Opposition Party to keep gov'ts a bit honest.

Sadly the role of gov't in BC is just about balancing the books off the backs of the taxpayers with user fees and indirect taxes rather than focusing on the policies that improve the economy and develop new industries.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote: She never ever had the support of her full caucus ..
which is why she wasnt able to do enough to turn the ship around in just two short yrs.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote: She never ever had the support of her full caucus
The old boys club is alive and well.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Early results 1 hour after polls close are showing strong for the Liberals.

Did that momentum build up a week ago combined with the fear of the NDP landslide change the game?

Early returns show a long night ahead possibly. I am pulling for Christy to win her seat (very close now) for no other reason than she is good, decent person with a true general small L liberal background.
EDIT:
As of 9:15 pm with the results so far I am prepared to do the opposite of ALL the pollsters and say the Liberals are about to snatch victory from the nearly shut jaws of defeat. Condo king Bob Rennie apparently told the Tyee 15 min before the polls close he was predicting a Lib victory.

Having said that they' really need to clean up their act as their performance in many quarters was inept.
Last edited by Toppy Vann on Tue May 14, 2013 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Wow, the results so far has been astonishing. Liberals leading the popular votes.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Global projecting a Liberal government. What a shock, but I'm delighted.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

way to kick NDP butt. Yahoo.

good bye 801 club.

Now CC, please move the govt in a different direction from Campbell, starting with getting rid of his people still hanging onto the ship.