Eskimos 27 - Lions 14, Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Last one ...

Looks like contact before the ball.

It looks like Travis only had eyes for Geroy. And of course defenders always know where Geroy is. Geroy started that play behind Olafioye, drifted behind the line, and then sat down waiting in that seam, but the Eskimos never lost track of him. Big gamble by Hill. Would have looked silly if Travis caught him cheating.

Wally always said 4 or 5 plays decide the game. It seems to me that one play pretty much decided both this game and the Riders game. We will see how we deal with the adversity. There are concerns. And teams have been bringing their A games against us.
David
Team Captain

Hawkballer 14 wrote:C'mon man, to downplay the incident and suggest that Rottier affected his own injury in any way is *******. (edited by Mod Staff for disrespectful, provocative language to another blogger)

Khalif knew exactly what he was doing, he had Rottier's arm locked between his bicep/tricep and severely torqued it. If I'm Benny, this is an example to teach my players that we play aggressive but not stupid.

Four to six games in street clothes for Khalif, anything less will disappoint me.
Why are you so obsessed with Coach Benevides meting out punishment for this incident? Isn't that the Commisioner's/league's job? I don't know any Head Coach in any sport that is going to decide to suspend a player for an incident within the confines of the sporting arena before it's been adjudicated.

And you mean to tell me if Cohon comes down with a 2 game suspension to Mitchell for the play, Coach Bene will be like, "that's outrageous. 2 more games for you!" Dream on....

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hawkballer 14
Champion

David wrote:Why are you so obsessed with Coach Benevides meting out punishment for this incident? Isn't that the Commisioner's/league's job? I don't know any Head Coach in any sport that is going to decide to suspend a player for an incident within the confines of the sporting arena before it's been adjudicated.

And you mean to tell me if Cohon comes down with a 2 game suspension to Mitchell for the play, Coach Bene will be like, "that's outrageous. 2 more games for you!"
It was a bush-league action by a dude who, prior to that, played to the line but didn't cross it.

To your second point, yes I want to see that happen. I want to see Benny to tell Khalif that "The Commissioner dinged you for two games, I'm going to sit you for two more because that *poop* does not fly on my team".

Proactive teaching moment. It would be great for Benny's stature within the locker room as well as the CFL. Would probably also help to lower the collective temperature in the Esk's locker room. We will be playing them again.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Hawkballer 14 wrote: To your second point, yes I want to see that happen. I want to see Benny to tell Khalif that "The Commissioner dinged you for two games, I'm going to sit you for two more because that *poop* does not fly on my team".
Buono didn't suspend Jason Jimenez for rolling onto the leg of the Calgary defensive lineman breaking his leg and I don't see coach Benevides suspending Mitchell
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Hawkballer 14 wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote:The trouble with HCs acting against their own is that when it affects the quality of your team the other players don't like that and it can be a problem a bit if there is not an equal backup.
This argument doesn't fly with me.

If I'm Mike, this is a purrfect opportunity to send a message to the players in my locker room AND the rest of the CFL. If I sit Khalif for the next 4-6 games, I'm saying loud and clear that:

1) I do not condone this type of action,
2) I will provide appropriate punishment should one of MY players commit such an offense
3) the actions of my players do have REAL consequences, if we go 2-4/1-5/0-6 during Khalif's absence then you players better F'n think before pulling such a stupid move.
Don't forget that players even on an offender's team don't condone full out dirty play - not at least in the CFL or this team. This really bad stuff is so infrequent that there honestly is no need to send a message from the new HC to his team. His teams gets it already. This is not what they do. We won't hear them speak out on this now as it is not their job and their is no need for them to pile on here and if they did that too can be divisive within a team.

Will the HC condemn the act? Not sure as it is far better to do that IF you have first seen it versus seeing it on video replay.

Football teams are very large compared to all others sports and there can be factions and groups in teams if care is not taken by players and coaches to prevent public comments.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I'm pretty sure i saw Ticats use receiver Bicary Grant on ST kick off coverage. Maybe Lions should use Nick Moore's size and speed (and other personnel) as a down field tackler.
Rodu
Champion

Not sure if it' been mentioned, but that roughing the kicker penalty killed any of our slim chances for a comeback. Edmonton was able to chew up to much clock after that
cromartie
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Tim Brown does not impress me as a threat as a kick returner. Lacks breakaway speed characteristic of great returners. Benevides' decision to take the ball on the 35 yard line instead of having Eskies kick off speak volumes
Actually it speaks volumes about the leg strength of Esks kicker who was backing up the kick returner inside the 10 yard line or thereabouts.
It's worth noting that the Eskimos have a different punter and kicker. They dedicate two rosters spots to the role, something of a rarity nowadays.
Blitz
Team Captain

WCJ...great photos of THE PLAY, in which Lulay throws late to Simon and behind him as well, and the ball is intercepted by Edmonton for a touchdown. Good to see WCJ, that you now don't blame Simon for the interception...almost impossible for a receiver to make that catch. Your first photo shows Simon open and that's when he should have been receiving the football into his hands and instead Lulay is just getting set to throw it. Iannuzzi comes open when his defender breaks off him to help out on Simon. Lulay tries to sling it in there and throws it behind Geroy. If he had been accurate the ball would not have been intercepted. At the point, just before throwing the football Lulay should have decided Simon was not the option (no sense throwing a 3 yard pass in that situation with defenders coming hard and instead looked for his next option (Iannuzzi). Its not as if Lulay did not have time on the play.

Regarding Toppy Vann's comments regarding Harris and using him to run outside we do that a lot. Harris had 9 runs during the game for 65 yards and those runs included a toss sweep and shovel passes. We also ran two reverses. Our running attack has evolved under 'JaquesBall'' to have an excellent balance of inside and outside runs as well as a very diverse running attack. I remember the days (acutally many seasons) when we only ran one running play (the zone read-right and left) when all our offensive lineman would zone block and then the back would either try to find a hole to the side of the play or use the cutback. Now we not only use a number of running plays in our arsenal but they are also well designed and we don't zone block anymore...our blocking schemes have changed significantly. Harris also had a big gain on an inside trap play and is starting to run better inside and our blocking is also getting better inside. Harris had 9 carries in the game but he also had 11 catches for 120 yards and most of those were routes run in the flat area.

Good news is that Dante Marsh looks like he will be able to play next week, even though he separated his shoulder. If our Leos decide not to take chances, at least the injury is not as serious as thought. Dante dislocated his shoulder and our trainers could not put it in on the sidelines and had to take him to the dressing room. This is the best possible outcome and surprising. The shortside corner spot is a very tough position and great communication and understanding with the shortside halfback is crtical. Marsh had played a very good game. Yes, he took a slightly wrong angle on his interception attempt on Chambers but he made a great read. He also saved us a touchdown when he came off the receiver he was covering and made a great hit in the end zone.

Ryan Phillips gets a lot of flak these days over this tackling ability but our Leos have him starting at wideside halfback for a reason...he is a good cover guy who plays zone defense very well and has great anticipation skills. I preferred him at corner and right now I would prefer him at dimeback in Shells spot and Shell at halfback due to Shells better tackling skills (Shell could still be used to blitz on passing downs with Phillips rotating into the half spot on those blitzes.

The Khallif Mitchell play is causing more controversy than is needed. The play occured during live action and was not a dead ball foul. The Edmonton offensive lineman had his hand/forearm under Mitchell's armpit. The play happened quickly, had no opportunity for preplanning, was instinctual and wrong because its not a football play, is not respectful of an opponenet, and should not have happened. Mitchell gets a lot of double teams and is held a lot and inside himslef was probably dealing with a high level of frustration - lots of stuff goes on that is dirty inside the trenches that is rarely seen - not that makes what Mitchell did as being acceptable. Dante Marsh and Korey Banks are Mitchell's mentors on the team and they have not supported Mitchell's actions. Benevedes will not condone Mitchell's actions and that is all he needs to say. The league will likely fine Mitchell and also suspend him. Mitchell and our Leos will also pay a price in that Mitchell will be more closely watched for the rest of this season at least.

I hope Rajon Henley is back in the lineup next week. It will be interesting to see if we give Peguese another chance or not.

Offensively Geroy Simon is seventh in receiving in the league and we don;t have another receiver in the top twenty, with Bruce and Harris close to getting into that bracket and we are seventh in the league in team passing. We are leading the league in net yards rushing and also in average gain per rush. This is unusal for our offence, which has usually been up there in terms of passing stats and 'down there' in terms of rushing. Its our passing game that needs to improve.

Defensively, we are right up there in either first or second in most categories in terms of stats. We've given up a few big plays on defense but overall our defense has played very well. For all the criticism of our pass defenders We have given up the fewest yards of any defense in the CFL We have the lowest percentage of passes completed against us and we are second behind Toronto in terms of fewest yards net passing, fewest passes completed, and average yds. given up per pass.

We are also tied for second in quarterback sacks. In terms of mexicolionfan's comments that we should be bltizing more and using the zone blitz to do that, I resepctfully disagree. I've always been a huge proponent of aggressive, pressure defense and using mutliple blitzes. Pressure creates turnovers and mistakes and quarterback sacks and interceptions rip the soul out of an offence. However, its a waste to send the zone blitz or a man blitz when quarterbacks are throwing so quickly. It forces the defense to either take the safety out of the middle or it forces the defensive backs to give more of of a cushion without linebacker help (and our blitzes have come from our linebackers and our nickel and dime backs.

Better to take away the opposition's short quick passing attack away with coverage on first down, forcing incompletions and then coming with the blitz on second and long. There is no sense in blitzing on second and four as often as we have. With our six man defensive line rotation we also have fresh pass rushers in there all the time. We need to force offences out of their quick passing attack so that we can do what we do best and that is get to the quarterback with both our defensive line and timely bltizes and force interceptions and bad plays. Our blitzes have not gotten to the quarterback and that has resulted in some big plays against us in weakeneed defensive pass coverage.

However, dispite those stats we had given up an average of 25 points per game going into the Edmonton game (third in the league and twice as many as Saskatchewean and that has been due to bad special teams play, turnovers, and big plays that have been very costly. The same pattern continued against Edmonton.

Getting Lulay and McCallum back on their game, getting our passing attack back to where it should be, and our downfield coverage on punts and kickoffs resovled and things look a heck of a lot brighter.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Rodu wrote:Not sure if it' been mentioned, but that roughing the kicker penalty killed any of our slim chances for a comeback. Edmonton was able to chew up to much clock after that
I saw a replay of that penalty on the news last night and it seemed close. Not close in that it shouldn't have been a penalty. It WAS and SHould have been a penalty. It just seemed close as in how did he get that punt off.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Blitz, there is no doubt, that Defense isn't the problem with this football team, but again, I argue that Stubler is giving up attempts at TURNOVERS by not being more aggressive...and the bottom line is this, he has to get tougher with Taylor, Williams and Smith...they are constantly mano e mano and are not consistently getting the job done, when they did last year...Mitchell is still getting the most consistent pressure on the QB and he is often fighting off 3 guys...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Hawkballer 14
Champion

TheLionKing wrote:Buono didn't suspend Jason Jimenez for rolling onto the leg of the Calgary defensive lineman breaking his leg and I don't see coach Benevides suspending Mitchell
Seeing as Mike Benevides is not Wally Buono, I think the point you made is irrelevant.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Blitz notes the number of points the Lions have given up in 4 games (102 - an aver. of 25.5 points ) and of course that W killing INT was not on the DEF.

Contrast this with the Esks this year where their DEF under a new DC has given up 56 in 4 games an average of 14 pts per game. Both teams played the hapless Bombers.

Losing Stubler to BC was something I thought the Esks weren't very smart to do as I felt with Ricky Ray but that team overall this year is stronger as are the Riders. Stamps and BC had less work to do and now Kevin Glenn is showing that he was an astute choice as a back up. The Esks said they wanted Stubler to teach more basics (or something like that) and had a philosophical difference of sorts. So far in 4 games they seem improved.

Yes, Blitz notes the running schemes - I liked all that stuff and maybe in looking at Charles running numbers put the Harris results down to play calls vs the way Charles was defended and of course his style. However Harris had a monster game running by any standard and a decent average. He looks good.

The CFL can impose a maximum of 1 game and a fine under their agreement if I recall that correctly and it is a big dilemma. Unlike hockey where you can get an egregious cheap shot a weak the CFL sees this really bad stuff very infrequently.

I am sure the player will understand that in future he'll be watched and that his team mates aren't cheering that on. These guys are mostly sensible pros who know that this is a job and a career that they can lose so quickly - one hit. It is out of character for him but inexcusable.

Of the top 4 CFL performances this year noted on TSN the Lions MOP has yet to make the list. He is resilient and takes accountability for his actions - all good signs.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
JohnHenry
Champion

TheLionKing wrote:
Hawkballer 14 wrote: To your second point, yes I want to see that happen. I want to see Benny to tell Khalif that "The Commissioner dinged you for two games, I'm going to sit you for two more because that *poop* does not fly on my team".
Buono didn't suspend Jason Jimenez for rolling onto the leg of the Calgary defensive lineman breaking his leg and I don't see coach Benevides suspending Mitchell
I thought the best quote was from Chris Schultz on the incident:

"Just about everyone who follows CFL football has seen the video, and nobody seems to be coming to the defence of Mitchell," said TSN analyst Chris Schultz, a former CFL and NFL lineman.

"Why? Well, it was pretty indefensible. If this was a murder case the only recourse would be to plead insanity and hope for the best."
:rotf:
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

I can't imagine what Mitchell was thinking. From my point of view, I would prefer the Lions took a stand regarding suspending him rather than leaving it in the hands of the league. Of course the league will make a ruling but if the team takes the stand frst I believe it sends a stronger message across the league.

I haven't heard how seriously injured Rottier was as a result. If that is known that should be part of the consideration. I'm not a doctor but geez it looked like he may have hyper extended his elbow or worse.

Not any players get suspended and most appeal the decision. Have they changed the tye ability of the league to suspend a player for more than 1 game?

While there have been diry plays in the past ( Jimenez for example ), this particular play by Mitchell seemed like an intent to injure more than just a dirty play. This is not to suggest Mitchell is a dirty player because I don't believe he is, however, for some reason he blew a gasket and went way way over any reasonable line.

IMO, this is worthy of a 3 game suspension.