Riders 37 - Lions 18 Post Game Stats & Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

notahomer
Hall of Famer

Professional sports teams that wear black jersies apparently get more penalties called against them. I can't remember where I read this stat, I'll try and track it down and back this comment up with facts.

Heres what I found but I think I read it in a Province article recently:
http://www.laymanpsych.com/2009/07/blac ... ggression/

Certainly not the reason why the Lions had more penalties called in this particular game, IMO.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:Professional sports teams that wear black jersies apparently get more penalties called against them. I can't remember where I read this stat, I'll try and track it down and back this comment up with facts.

Heres what I found but I think I read it in a Province article recently:
http://www.laymanpsych.com/2009/07/blac ... ggression/

Certainly not the reason why the Lions had more penalties called in this particular game, IMO.
That idea re colour goes way back. The Canucks consulted sports psychologists when they went to the Big V, with black and yellow as the primary colours. Black, yellow and red. Sieg! Heil! Well, Germany has had a history as a warlike nation, and has had some success at it too. Those colours on sports teams' jerseys are supposed to bring out the aggression.

In re to colours, another article I read said that some car colours draw more speeding tickets too. I think yellow and red were the ones that got the eye of the traffic cops.

What is the symbol for "Hijacked Thread"? Ha ha
notahomer
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote: ...

:surrender: Oops!
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote: ...

:surrender: Oops!
Just kidding, Dude.

Hijacking don't worry me. I think I would like Cuba as a destination, though. :wink:
David
Team Captain

Not much more to add to what's already been stated. We were outcoached and outplayed. The latter having a lot to do with the former. Continually neutered by blitzes that JC didn't seem particularly interested in countering (screen passes, draw plays, rolling out to the side opposite they're overloading). And why exactly was Wally doing cartwheels, going to great lengths to draft Jamal Lee? It's unfair for the kid to just be expected to block and never see the ball. Same with Messam. Robertson has delivered so far, but it would be nice to mix up the running attack now and again. Sask managed to do it effectively with Cates and Charles. :bang:

Thankfully, the Als won't show as many crazy formations as the Riders, so the O-line should play better. However, I am starting to get slightly concerned about our receivers. Geroy still finding open space inside and is a flat-out stud, and Derick Armstrong has played quite well in the first two games. But Paris is hobbling badly on a bad knee. His gutsy effort is commendable but isn't doing himself or the team any good. I also expected more production from Manny. Two drops in the first game and only 3 catches Saturday. O'Neil Wilson got injured at the end of the first half but hasn't contributed much. We are woefully short at non-import receiving depth.

Lots of great possession receivers, but do we still lack that speed demon deep threat that's going to stretch the field and keep defenses honest? I know the Kelly Campbells don't grow on trees, but still....

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Centrum22
Starter

The TSN announcers remarked that it was kind of stupid for the home team to be standing in the blazing sun while the away team gets to take refuge in the shade.
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

The Raiders have done it for decades, same with the Steelers. Didn't seem to hurt them.
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
Rammer
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:We've seen too many of these lopsided blowouts at home for the past 12 months.

I can live with a .500 team but you better be competitive in front of your own fans or they simply will stop coming back. After that performance and a short turnaround, don't expect to see the blackout lifted for Montreal next Friday.

Some other thoughts:

Offensive line: Dorazio's "dartboard" philosophy for 2010 (playing basically everyone out of their natural position) looked promising last week but was overwhelmed big time by the Riders ever-changing fronts.
Duckett looked like a turnstile much of the night and gift-wrapped player of the week honours for Brett Hawkins.

Tad Crawford: I give him credit that he is at least around the ball but the kid must start making plays. This is what I feared watching him the past couple of seasons in spot duty — always seeming to be a split second late. As soft as Barron Miles was in the twilight of his career, he still had a nose for the ball and could handle man coverage. Crawford cannot. Got burned by Getzlaf on a 2nd and 20 and also dropped an INT in the end zone.

Brent Johnson: We were quickly reminded why he has been relegated to a rotating role when everyone is healthy. Had an opportunity to make 2 or 3 big plays in the early going but no longer has the extra gear to do it. Reminded me so much of last season.

It was 13-10 when McCallum brought down the high snap and tried to run for the first down. I thought he had time to kick it on the run but he thought he could get to the 1st down marker. Seemed to turn the game for good.
Points that I agree with 100%. Without the chance of a home victory, the fans will soon lose interest.

The only other thing that you didn't explode upon that needed to be, was the play calling with Lulay in, although that has been addressed by others. I can tell you that if Suitor realized it, that JC should've, the Lions have to come up with a better plan to protect the QB with plays that will counterattack the attacking D.
Entertainment value = an all time low
notahomer
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote: ...Hijacking don't worry me. I think I would like Cuba as a destination, though. :wink:
If you ever do get highjacked to Cuba, I don't reccommend wearing black.... :wink: