Chapdelaine Will Call the Plays as Receivers Coach

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

joesports
All Star

SammyGreene wrote:
PigSkin_53 wrote:I don’t see why Clermont sites the 2006 GC game as an example of why Chapdelane return as good for the team, as other than the one touchdown by Smart in the second quarter, Chapdelane’s anemic offense was completely shut down in the second half, Jason himself with 27 yards in total receptions on the day.
Just a hunch ... but I think Jason was referring to the entire ’06 season and not just one game. Or maybe it was the "anemic" offence that put up over 400 yards (including 171 on the ground) in the 45-18 WF win over the Riders?

And labeling him and Simon as prima donas? No wonder he rarely posts here anymore. He wins the Most Outstanding Canadian Award without Chapdelaine last season yet is happy to see him back with the team. Yep... that sounds like a real selfish player looking out for his own best interests.

Yes... give the Lions credit for putting up 14 wins last season but anyone who thinks that team was equal or better than the ’06 version is fooling themselves. They were damn lucky to win a number of games down the stretch (Edmonton, Winnipeg and Calgary) where in ’06 they were steamrolling towards the playoffs.

If Wally and some key players are happy to have Chapdelaine back then that's good enough for me.
:whs: Our 2007 team was not better than the 2006 version. Chap is not the difference necessarily, but Wally brought him back. I'll trust Wally on this one.
Blitz
Team Captain

There wasn't much difference between the 2006 offence and the 2007 offence except for style of play.

In 2006 we averaged 369 yards per game and had 6652 yards of total offence. We scored 49 touchdowns although our offence only scored 39 touchdowns and our defense converted 10 turnovers into touchdowns. Our offence had more opportunities as our defense gave up less yardage in 2006 and created more turnovers. Our quarterbacks were sacked 56 times..the most in the league. We averaged 26.9 points per game.

In 2007 our offence averaged 346 yards per game and had 6242 yards in total offence. We scored 52 touchdowns and with 5 touchdowns coming from the defense and we had one special team touchdown from Smart. Our quarterbacks were only sacked 32 times, with a bunch coming in our last couple of games. We averaged 27.2 points per game.

When you consider the fact that we had an experienced quarterback in Dickenson playing 12 games in 2006 and our backup Buck Pierce started 6 games. In 2007 we used started 3 quarterbacks, with Dickenson only playing 3 games, Buck playing 4 games (3 hurting) and Jarious playing 11 games, I really believe we did a good job offensively, especially when scoring was down in the league again.

The difference in 2007 was in style. We ran the football more in 2007 and our passing game struggled early. However, our passing attack was much improved in the second half of the season. The key factor is effectiveness and we got the football into the end zone more this season and averaged more points per game by our offence even with the quarterback situation.

There is no question that there are some Leo players that want the football passed more and Chapdelaine is a pass oriented football coach. There are probably some Lionbackers that prefer that style of offence also. However, our offence was more effective in 2007, with all the additional challenges that our offensive coordinators faced.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Somewhat overlooked in this whole discussion is that the Lions have added the position of running backs coach this year, giving them four full-time coaches on offence, which Buono says is a first.

Wally has stated that his priority is to improve the passing game, but the other aspects of the offence will get plenty of attention.

Here are the offensive coaches:

Dan Dorazio - offensive coordinator and offensive line
Jacques Chapdelaine - receivers
Steff Kruck - quarterbacks
Chuck McMann - running backs
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:
PigSkin_53 wrote:I don’t see why Clermont sites the 2006 GC game as an example of why Chapdelane return as good for the team, as other than the one touchdown by Smart in the second quarter, Chapdelane’s anemic offense was completely shut down in the second half, Jason himself with 27 yards in total receptions on the day.
Just a hunch ... but I think Jason was referring to the entire ’06 season and not just one game. Or maybe it was the "anemic" offence that put up over 400 yards (including 171 on the ground) in the 45-18 WF win over the Riders?

And labeling him and Simon as prima donas? No wonder he rarely posts here anymore. He wins the Most Outstanding Canadian Award without Chapdelaine last season yet is happy to see him back with the team. Yep... that sounds like a real selfish player looking out for his own best interests.

Yes... give the Lions credit for putting up 14 wins last season but anyone who thinks that team was equal or better than the ’06 version is fooling themselves. They were damn lucky to win a number of games down the stretch (Edmonton, Winnipeg and Calgary) where in ’06 they were steamrolling towards the playoffs.

If Wally and some key players are happy to have Chapdelaine back then that's good enough for me.

You have misinterpreted what was said Sammy

Jason made a comment about the returning of Jacque Chapdelane to Lions as assistant coach.

I made a comment as to his reference of Chapdelane’s offense that one particular game…Grey Cup 2006 as odd, in that his own contributions in receptions made that day were few by Jacque’s offensive design, and why would he site that occasion?

I did not “label” any one particular individual as prima donna. I was referring generally to whichever individuals were crying to Wally about communication (hand signals?), and being coached and not pushed. Those pointing fingers and casting aspersions on the new coordinators for not being up to the job as Chapdelane was, those who put themselves ahead of the best interests of the team.

Any one who has read my posts has no illusion as to my greatest respect, admiration, and loyalty to LION82, and his contributions the BC Lions for the last six seasons. When many had grave doubts as to his returning to the Lions during free agency, I knew where his heart was and I never worried for a moment that he wouldn’t return.

I talked to him at Grey Cup in Toronto last November about having Chapdelane back and tried to discourage him then saying “I know how you fell about Jacque and his offense, but if you are picking up your chin strap, and taking many more of those hits, on those crossing underneath routs, you will be hanging them up earlier than you want to”.

He said “Yah! I could use less of those hits for sure.”

I hope this clears thing up a bit.
Last edited by PigSkin_53 on Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

What I'm curious to find out is, how much control is Wally gonna have over Chap's playbook, if any at all?
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I expect Wally has a very clear idea of what he wants.

The good running game concepts Dorazio developed with the O Line, Joe Smith, and Ian Smart.

Plus I expect Wally wants the passing game attitude Chapdelaine obviously represents for him. A balance of the timing, short route stuff Chapdelaine likes and Buck is suited to, along with more vertical stuff that suits Jarious more. I would expect the pass blocking schemes to be more suited to what Dorazio wants.

I expect the playbook will be a collaborative effort, with input from all the offensive coaches and Wally himself.

Game plans, I expect, will also be collaborative. Dorazio should have the most influence. Lowell Ullrich and Mike Beamish have reported that Jacques will be calling the plays during the games. If Chapdelaine has autonomy in calling the plays, and sending in the signals, then he is obviously performing that OC role, and that could be tricky. He and Dorazio could easily get into a power struggle. Or, perhaps, Dorazio has already deferred to Chapdelaine, but kept the OC title for this year. This is where it is unclear to me what the design of the offensive leadership is.

I'm not so concerned about the playbook itself, or even the game plans, but more that Dorazio and Chapdelaine work together smoothly, especially in games, where adjustments are always needed. And that the players understand where the offensive leadership is coming from at all times. Who is the OC? Dorazio. Who has the OC duties during the games? Chapdelaine? Who has the OC duties during practice? That is easier. Dorazio during running game time. Chapdelaine during passing game time.

My hunch is that since Wally uses a collaborative approach, there is a good chance these flexibly defined roles can work with this group of coaches. The apparently fluid, loosely defined roles of the coaches bring advantages and risks. You have creativity and flexibility, but you also have some uncertainty.

Hoping it works out ... :cr:
Last edited by WestCoastJoe on Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:I expect Wally has a very clear idea of what he wants.

The good running game concepts Dorazio developed with the O Line, Joe Smith, and Ian Smart.

Plus I expect Wally wants the passing game attitude Chapdelaine obviously represents for him. A balance of the timing, short route stuff Chapdelaine likes and Buck is suited to, along with more vertical stuff that suits Jarious more. I would expect the pass blocking schemes to be more suited to what Dorazio wants.

I expect the playbook will be a collaborative effort, with input from all the Offensive coaches and Wally himself.

Game plans, I expect, will also be collaborative. Dorazio should have the most influence. During the games, I expect Dorazio to have the most influence on play calling. Chapdelaine would be risking a lot if he went against Dorazio's wishes in sending in the signals. If Chapdelaine has autonomy in calling the plays, and sending in the signals, then he is obviously performing the OC role, and that could be tricky. He and Dorazio could easily get into a power struggle. Or, perhaps, Dorazio has already deferred to Chapdelaine, but kept the title for this year.

I'm not so concerned about the playbook itself, or even the game plans, but more that Dorazio and Chapdelaine work together smoothly. And that the players understand where the offensive leadership is coming from.

My hunch is that since Wally uses a collaborative approach, there is a good chance these flexibly defined roles can work with this group of coaches. The apparently fluid, loosely defined roles of the coaches bring advantages and risks. You have creativity and flexibility, but you also have some uncertainty.

Hoping it works out ... :cr:
:whs:

Mike Beamish quoted Wally on Friday as saying: "I rely on the men I hire to make me look good."

That's a good approach for any business, but Wally is not giving himself enough credit. We've seen countless examples over the years of players and coaches who look a lot better when they're working for Wally than when they're working for someone else. Wally didn't win 216 games by delegating all responsibility to his staff. He'll make sure that players and coaches are all on the same page.
moby

It will be interesting to see how many 10 to 12 yard and under passes will be thrown in todays Super Bowl. Some will be crossing and underneath routes!
cromartie
Hall of Famer

I'm not so concerned about the playbook itself, or even the game plans, but more that Dorazio and Chapdelaine work together smoothly, especially in games, where adjustments are always needed.
My concerns are the exact opposite. You can fool me once (2005 WDF), but you don't get to fool me twice. I'm sure they'll get along. I'm not terribly optimistic about the results at this point.

But as always in matters like these, I look forward to being proven wrong.