Clermont

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

nelson95
Legend

Obviously JCs knee is a concern.
Trade him to the Riders now when the irons hot.
Then he can work on getting rid of all those vacant houses whose owners have fled Sask.
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

thunder77 wrote:If Jason Clermont were under contract for longer than the current year than yes, alot of what you people are listing as trade value for JC would be valid. But, his contract expires after this season. Every day that goes by his trade value slowly goes down. The Riders can wait till the offseason and not have to trade anything for him. Why would they trade away anyone from thier o-line? a 2008 draft pick maybe? I would rather see a NI like Szarka go, since we don't seem to know how to use him here...or a Mike McCullough who was our starting NI MLB. We have a tonne of I MLB depth so I'm sure we could go that way.
Anything more would be WAY too much. I'm afraid as soon as JC indicated he was going to play this year out his trade value plummeted!
Good things come to those who wait but who has patience in Saskatchewan? Consider:

1. Tillman is in his first year as GM and will be looking to make a mark and make amends for passing on Clermont twice in the CFL draft.

2. Football is a business and the success of that business depends on selling tickets. The Riders have the lowest attendance in the league and could use the ticket-selling power of a hometown hero. Just check out the 22-page thread on this topic on riderfans.com.

3. Next year Clermont is a free agent and his price could go up if other teams get involved in the bidding. He's under contract now and, if traded to Saskatchewan, is not likely to turn around and leave next year.

4. Rider fans have gone 19 years without a home playoff game and are anxious to see the home team climb out of mediocrity.

5. Clermont just started a business in Regina last week and is getting married in May. He has incentive to go home this year.

I'm betting that Tillman and Wally work out a deal this year for a quality non-import, or perhaps a quality player and a high draft choice.
Rammer
Team Captain

thunder77 wrote:If Jason Clermont were under contract for longer than the current year than yes, alot of what you people are listing as trade value for JC would be valid. But, his contract expires after this season. Every day that goes by his trade value slowly goes down. The Riders can wait till the offseason and not have to trade anything for him. Why would they trade away anyone from thier o-line? a 2008 draft pick maybe? I would rather see a NI like Szarka go, since we don't seem to know how to use him here...or a Mike McCullough who was our starting NI MLB. We have a tonne of I MLB depth so I'm sure we could go that way.
Anything more would be WAY too much. I'm afraid as soon as JC indicated he was going to play this year out his trade value plummeted!
Except that if you are Eric Tillman and have a chance to wet the appetites of thousands of Rdier fans with one acquisition, this is the one tha makes the most sense. His value in Regina is immeasurable, and this year may be his largest impact in that regards, as a trade will stir the buzz and create a hwole new ST base IMO.

That being said, JC is a Lion and having him here for his remaining CFL days is a pretty nice idea. But if you are trying to establish yourself as a realtor in Regina, you had best be playing for the green and white, especially after dropping that kind of hint as we can all recall the Florygate and how negatively they feel towards him leaving the Riders at the alter.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Lionut
Hall of Famer

thunder77 wrote:I'm afraid as soon as JC indicated he was going to play this year out his trade value plummeted!
Rider Fan's attempt to play hardball here is going to fall flat. You guys are bluffing with a pair of fours, and what's more you are trying to do it against a veteran GM who is no one's fool.

The fact is that the Lions have a significant player under contract for the 2007 season, and in this business the future is now. This is doubly true for a veteran laden team like BC, led by a brilliant yet somewhat aging and injury prone QB. The Lions' window for winning is NOW, not three years from now. You guys seem to think you're in the driver's seat here, and you're not -- either you cough up appropriate market value for a star player like Clermont, or Buono will simply hold onto him, taking advantage of both one more year of Clermont's prime as a player, and his hunger to prove himself in order to get a big '08 payday.

If you think Wally is going to feel pressured into making a deal, you clearly don't know him very well. Knowing him, he'll hold onto Clermont just to spite everyone unless he's offered a strong deal that makes good sense. The ball is clearly in Tillman's court here - unless he can make a strong offer, then the earliest you will see Jason Clermont is in 2008.
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever."
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

thunder77 wrote: I'm afraid as soon as JC indicated he was going to play this year out his trade value plummeted!
I agree. It also undermines his bargaining position as a free agent.
OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

If Clermont does become a free agent, and judging by his own recent comments, his value, won't be an issue. it seems his mind is made up and there will only be one team he talks to.

Until then he's a Lion, and if the Riders want him this year, they have to cough up fair value, or lose a year of his services.
http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com :: Ask me how you can help us raise money for Cancer research and treatment on behalf of CFL fans.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Man, the thought of losing JC is just troubling full stop. Methinks however that Free agency doesn't mean much if the intent is only to go to one team and everybody knows it. I hope that what we are seeing is just posturing in the name of negotiation.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Rammer
Team Captain

LFITQ wrote:
Rammer wrote:
squishy35 wrote:

That was Rammers fault????? Grrrrrr :x .
I am still in wait for the reasoning behind that one myself....lol
What name and number are on your 50th jersey? If I get the blame for the Clermont one - pass the buck I say ...
I think that I am going with an Otis Floyd jersey now, should I or shouldn't I?
Entertainment value = an all time low
Tighthead
Legend

Rammer wrote:[I think that I am going with an Otis Floyd jersey now, should I or shouldn't I?
My sports policy is to only get retired players on a jersey. Suits my cheap and nostalgic nature.
LFITQ
Team Captain

Tighthead wrote:
Rammer wrote:[I think that I am going with an Otis Floyd jersey now, should I or shouldn't I?
My sports policy is to only get retired players on a jersey. Suits my cheap and nostalgic nature.
I think I'm with you from now on.

So my 3rd jersey will either get a retired player on it (maybe Kidd if he retires) or I might just put Section 17 on it instead - something that will NEVER go out of style!
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

"Hebeler".... :yes:
http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com :: Ask me how you can help us raise money for Cancer research and treatment on behalf of CFL fans.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Anybody have a need for #9 Roy Dewalt, #7 Alfred Jackson and soon #82 Jason Clermont jersey ? :bang:
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:I think that I am going with an Otis Floyd jersey now, should I or shouldn't I?
Not if you believe all the people in Saskatchewan who are proposing they trade Reggie Hunt to B.C. for Clermont.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Lionut wrote:
thunder77 wrote:I'm afraid as soon as JC indicated he was going to play this year out his trade value plummeted!
Rider Fan's attempt to play hardball here is going to fall flat. You guys are bluffing with a pair of fours, and what's more you are trying to do it against a veteran GM who is no one's fool.

The fact is that the Lions have a significant player under contract for the 2007 season, and in this business the future is now. This is doubly true for a veteran laden team like BC, led by a brilliant yet somewhat aging and injury prone QB. The Lions' window for winning is NOW, not three years from now. You guys seem to think you're in the driver's seat here, and you're not -- either you cough up appropriate market value for a star player like Clermont, or Buono will simply hold onto him, taking advantage of both one more year of Clermont's prime as a player, and his hunger to prove himself in order to get a big '08 payday.

If you think Wally is going to feel pressured into making a deal, you clearly don't know him very well. Knowing him, he'll hold onto Clermont just to spite everyone unless he's offered a strong deal that makes good sense. The ball is clearly in Tillman's court here - unless he can make a strong offer, then the earliest you will see Jason Clermont is in 2008.
Agreed.

The other side of this is that the CFL salaries take second place in many players priorities over ensuring a long term career situation after football and Jason Clermont is no exception.

It is pretty clear he wants to live in Sask and if he can play there plus build his real estate business to me that is perfectly understandable.

I see no loss in his negotiating power or trade potential. He is not the first nor the last player to start a career then find a way to do both. Who knows, he may have someone to cover him during football season if he doesn't get a trade to the Riders. On the other hand, he might do even better in Regina with both jobs. Real estate can be a lot of evening work and if has someone to work with it can work out good for him.

I for one don't begrudge the guy planning for his life after football and wish him well no matter where he plays this year or next.