CKNW - Chapdelaine gone!

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

I am so pissed I'm seeing red everywhere I look!! Talk about a lack of loyalty!!

First of all, in Chapdelaine's first full season as offensive coordinator in Calgary, under Wally, he was so disliked by players and management that they forced Wally to dump him...it was the beginning of the end for Wally, who realized he had lost control over the hiring/firing of his assistants!

However, when Wally joined our Leos, he showed his loyalty to Chapdelaine (and his desire to integrate the old Calgary offence) that he hired Chap as recievers coach and to bring some of those offensive elements Chap learned from Cortez's offence to B.C. However, Chapdelaine felt he wasn't getting enough credit for our 2004 season, when Printers was at the controls, and Chap was critical of Burratto. With Chapdelaine now at the controls on the sidelines for the last third of the season and Burratto banished to the spotters booth, we squeaked out a Western Final victory before throwing for less than 200 yards, most of it in the first quarter, in losing the Grey Cup to an inferior opponent. In the off-season Burratto was gone, replaced by Chapdelaine, as the differences between Burratto and Chapdelaine intensified. Those differences included Burratto's desire to play Printers in the Grey Cup game.

In 2005 our offense went south even though we started off the season with a winning streak. We lacked a running game, our offensive scheme was an overdose of crossing patterns, and our quarterbacks spent the season being pummelled into almost oblivion as Chapdelaine went with an empty backfield more often than a politican lies. Teams blitzed the hell out of us, we tried to use Geroy to pick up the blitz, and everyone knew the patterns we were running before we ran them. Dickenson, Printers, and Buck Pierce, all playing injured at different times, used their talents and courage to try to overcome an ugly scheme, poor play calling, offensive predicatability. On top of all that Chapdelaine chewed out his offense on the sidelines even though most of the problems were due to his lack of leadership, exhibited poor communciation skills, and refused to take responsibility. Our last two games of the 2005 season, with Saskatchewan calling out our plays on offence before we ran them and Edmonton jumping our routes in the 2005 Western Final, were more than frustrating. On top of that, Chapdelaine's treatment of Casey Printers, was the major reason why Printers did not want to return to B.C. last off-season and the major reason for his sullen attitude in 2005.

I was no fan of Chapdelaine for all those reasons and said so. However, in 2006, it was like someone batted Chapdelaine about the ears and he was a different offensive coordinator. First of all, he changed the passing attack, with Dickenson's imput, adding more vertical patterns and creating a much better mix. He also got rid of the six pack reciever set and worked harder to protect our quarterbacks, aided by the addition of Murphy and Jiminez. No longer was he using Simon as a blocker against the blitz and Geroy had an outstanding season. However, in our first five games Chap was still stuck into playing toss and catch. Finally in Warren's last game as a Leo he ran Warren 8 times in the first half and while he only ran him 3 times in the second half, with a huge lead, finally Chapdelaine discovered the last lesson...you need a running game to win!! Warren was gone over his missed block but Chapdelaine began to use the running game, not only to set up the pass in the first half but began to integrate it as an important part of our offence and Smith took advantage by running the ball hard.

I was happy with Chapdelaine in 2006 and hoped he would return for continuity and also because he provided a strong sense that he was now a better communicator, a smarter offensive coordinator who had finally thrown away his stubborness and arrogance. He had a breakthrough season in 2006 to become an effective offensive coordinator who would only get better. There were some things I still wasn't crazy about.... but our offence was evolving, Chapdelaine had shown he could put together some excellent game plans, and his play calling improved tremendously.

So now, with my first choice in Cortez already signed in Calgary Chapdelaine bolts for the Evil Empire for more money. It's a sideways hiring and the Associate Head Coach is just a cover to make the whole thing look better. Edmonton wanted Burratto, the guy we got rid of and their second choice was Chapdelaine. The timing sucks big time!!

So, due to Chapdealine we lost Burratto after 2004, we lost Printers in 2005, and his lousy play calling at the end of 2004 and his lousy offence in 2005 contributed to two opportunities to win a Grey Cup and we came away empty. Throughout all that pain...Wally sticks with Chapdelaine and he finally gets in together for the most part in 2006 and after one successful season, jumps ship!! After all the pain that Wally had to go through for Chapdelaine when he first hired him in Calgary, then had to dump Burratto to keep Chapdelaine happy after 2004, after all the problems that Chapdelaine caused for Printers and therfore the team in 2005, on top of the fact his offence killed us at the end of last season, Chapdelaine owed it to Wally to stay for next season.

Instead, Chapdelaine leaves a Grey Cup champion team, with a chance to repeat, to go to a fourth place team, in the same role as offensive coordinator. Macioccia isn't going anywhere if he can. Having the Head Coaching role as well as being responsible for signing players is not something Macioccia, especially being young, is not going to give up unless he he's forced to. I don't have a problem with a player or a coach leaving to better himself in most occasions. It's a business and a career. I just believe that Chapdelaine owed Wally something more than this!! The timing only makes it worse...because Cortez is gone and we know Burratto won't be coming back!

I am a very unhappy camper but in the long run we're probably better off but short term it's a major headache to overcome!! :x :x :x :x :x
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Tighthead
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:
Tighthead wrote:Very surprised. I figured Wally would hand the reigns to Chaps eventually.
Guess Buono is not as high on Chapdelaine as many people believe
I think that is the story behind the story here. JC did not have a good Grey Cup in my opinion, as he got way too tight on the controls. If Wally thought he was indispensible, I think he would still be a Lion.
Blitz
Team Captain

think that is the story behind the story here. JC did not have a good Grey Cup in my opinion, as he got way too tight on the controls. If Wally thought he was indispensible, I think he would still be a Lion.
I'm not so sure. Wally forced Chap to stay for this season and honor his contract. Wally has tighter control than Macioccia has in Edmonton and Chap will be able to do more of his own thing. Chap is not the kind of guy who likes taking direction. Wally may not be an x and o's guy offensively but he still has certain philisophical expectations on offense and will put pressure on.

I doubt Wally expected it!! It's a major slap in the face to Wally!! Wally was likely going to retire from the Head Coaching position after 2008. He's been providing enough hints anyway. Chap is going to Edmonton to serve under a guy who could be there for a while. Perhaps Chap thinks, if he can turn Edmonton's offence around it will give him the best opportunity for a future CFL Head Coaching position. He also wants to prove, likely, that he can do it without Wally. Chap felt he wasn't getting enough credit in 2004 when Burratto was here and likely felt he wasn't getting enough credit this year as well as Buono and Ritchie got more of the accolades this year.

Well, now I have one more very good reason to hate the Evil Empire. However, in the meantime Calgary got Cortez, Toronto gets Burratto, and Chapdelaine takes a chunk of our offence that finally got effective this year. Chapdelaine is an upgrade on Maccioccia as an offensive coordinator. So three CFL teams just got better and we are weakened, at least temporarily!!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

THis is just another reason for BC fans to hate Edmonton, 'nuf said.
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I was never a fan of Chapdeleine so I'm happy that he's gone. Frankly I don't think Chap is indispensable. I'm sure Buono will find a very capable replacement and we carry on. Business as usual.
Reider
Starter

Possible replacements...

Danny Barrett
Tommy Condell (rumour has it that Austin may get rid of him)
Matt Dunigan?
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:I was never a fan of Chapdeleine so I'm happy that he's gone. Frankly I don't think Chap is indispensable. I'm sure Buono will find a very capable replacement and we carry on. Business as usual.
The post up above that notes that Dunigan and Barrett would make decent candidates makes sense. Dunigan learned a lot in Calgary despite being dumped.

Steve Kruck the QB coach has a nice demeanour with the players but I have no idea of his ability to do the job as OC.

While Blitz is spot on about the history of JC as OC and his role in ensuring Casey Printers left BC for one thing, I don't agree with his conclusion that JC should have been more loyal and stayed.

If he wanted to expand his experience base with the Esks and haul in some more money and be with his son at the U of A in Edmonton, you can't really fault the guy.

I am not a huge JC fan for all the reasons Blitz cites in his post on JC but I would not suggest that the guy not do what is best for himself and his family. It is not like a $1 million a year guy left for 1.1 million.
David
Team Captain

Tighthead wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:
Tighthead wrote:Very surprised. I figured Wally would hand the reigns to Chaps eventually.
Guess Buono is not as high on Chapdelaine as many people believe
I think that is the story behind the story here. JC did not have a good Grey Cup in my opinion, as he got way too tight on the controls. If Wally thought he was indispensible, I think he would still be a Lion.
I think we have to judge Chapdelaine on the whole of last year and not one game. Let's not forget that Montreal wanted to win the Cup every bit as much as we did and wasn't going to roll over and die. I thought on that afternoon their coverage was excellent and didn't allow us to do many of the things we wanted to do (just ask Jason Clermont and Geroy Simon).

Besides, the pitch out to our tailback Smart coming out of the backfield was an awesome new wrinkle that we put into the playbook!

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Reider wrote:Possible replacements...

Danny Barrett
Matt Dunigan?
Absent Cortez and Buratto, I'll take Dunigan.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

A year ago I would have been jumping for joy at this news... now I am not so happy. For all the reasons Blitz mentioned.
Blitz
Team Captain

Steve Kruck the QB coach has a nice demeanour with the players but I have no idea of his ability to do the job as OC.

While Blitz is spot on about the history of JC as OC and his role in ensuring Casey Printers left BC for one thing, I don't agree with his conclusion that JC should have been more loyal and stayed.

If he wanted to expand his experience base with the Esks and haul in some more money and be with his son at the U of A in Edmonton, you can't really fault the guy.

I am not a huge JC fan for all the reasons Blitz cites in his post on JC but I would not suggest that the guy not do what is best for himself and his family. It is not like a $1 million a year guy left for 1.1 million.

Well, Toppy, looks like, while our views of Chapdelaine throughout his tenure here are similar, we differ regarding his decision to leave. I, like you, believe, a player or coach should have the option of improving his career or making his family situation better. I never saw Simpson as a traitor for wanting to leave or for that matter any other Leo player. However, in some ways, the situation with Chapdelaine is different. Wally was more than aware that we struggled with growing pains last season with Chapdelaine as an offensive coordinator. It played a major role in not getting to the Grey Cup last season as well as resulting in more than one uhappy player on our offensive unit. However, Wally stuck with him, believing that he would get things turned around and become successful.

Wally stuck with Chap, having a longer view, and especially with Cortez hired, I still believe Chapdelaine should not have left Wally in the lurch like this. Wally has been so loyal to Chap, to a fault, during challenging times.

I don't want Barrett as offensive coordinator and while Dunnigan is a possibility....I believe, at this point, in the evolution of our offence, we're probably better going 'in house' with Kruck and Dorazio and bringing in a third assistant. The reason is that a new offensive coordinator is not going to be familiar with our present offence and will therefore bring in wholesale changes. What we need is to adapt and evolve the offence we have..because continuity is more important. It's not as if our offence doesn't need some adaptions...becuase it does...but starting all over is not the way to do it!!

As to the comment regarding Smart's Grey Cup touchdown run Dorazio is the guy who schemes the running game and deserves credit for that play.
Rammer
Team Captain

cromartie wrote:
Reider wrote:Possible replacements...

Danny Barrett
Matt Dunigan?
Absent Cortez and Buratto, I'll take Dunigan.
REmember how Dunigan snubbed Bouno in a GM meeting? Wally hasn't and it won't be Dunigan, and besides Dunigan thinks that he is HC material at minimum, although he should set his sights on an OC position if he really wants to make his mark as a CFL HC, baby steps Matt.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

I'm a happy camper today.......but until I see who the replacement is, I will be caustiously optomistic.

I can see Buono wanting to promote from within in order to maintain consistency........and maybe this opens the door for DD to become more involved with either Dorazio/Kruck/Benevides in a co-OC type position.

Barring that......my first choice now (damn Calgary :bang: :bang: ), would be Matt Dunigan.
Lloyd
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

OrangeShoes99 wrote: ...could Shivers AND Barrett be working for the Lions soon?
The New BC Lions - or more accurately known as the Borg. Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated. 8)
David
Team Captain

While I like the guy very much and I think he would be a phenomenal mentor to our QB of the future, Buck Pierce, I don't think Dunigan will surface here in Vancouver.

He has a good gig at TSN for which I am sure he is fairly well remunerated, he lives in Calgary, and I don't think he'd be willing to come out of the studio for an assistant's job of 16-18 hour days.

Further, and perhaps more importantly, most GMs (and especially Wally Buono) prefer to hire friends or at least men with whom they have a strong relationship/history. I don't think that's the case with Buono and Dunigan.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar