Head Coach - Lions announce Jeff Tedford as 2015 HC

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

#BCLions have named Jeff Tedford as head coach. Join the conversation & tell us your thoughts. Use #TedfordBC @CFL

Tedford!
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

dupsdell1 wrote:
Lions4ever wrote:
dupsdell1 wrote:Sorry guys this hiring is not going to sell season tickets, too much damage has been done, it is going to take a few years to get the fans back even if they win , to much stability has been lost with this team.
If that's true then this marketplace is dumber than dumb. For my money this is one of the most significant acquisitions for this franchise in the last decade.

I am sorry but hiring this coach is not going to get people running out to buy season tickets, not just our market but any market,
Be sorry all you like. For my reading of the situation the Lions didn't just go out and get another coordinator from the Ticats or whatever or a fired recycled CFL guy as is the norm. They reached for a guy with serious big time credentials with many years as a head coach at a Power 5 Conference program that was very good for a long time in a highly competitive culture. That`s telling me, if not you, that they mean business and want to compete at the highest level in this league.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Lions4ever wrote:
dupsdell1 wrote:
Lions4ever wrote:If that's true then this marketplace is dumber than dumb. For my money this is one of the most significant acquisitions for this franchise in the last decade.
I am sorry but hiring this coach is not going to get people running out to buy season tickets, not just our market but any market,
Be sorry all you like. For my reading of the situation the Lions didn't just go out and get another coordinator from the Ticats or whatever or a fired recycled CFL guy as is the norm. They reached for a guy with serious big time credentials with many years as a head coach at a Power 5 Conference program that was very good for a long time in a highly competitive culture. That`s telling me, if not you, that they mean business and want to compete at the highest level in this league.
At this early stage, I'm enthused by the hire, too, but let's be realistic. Come over on the ferry and spend the entire daylight hours of 8am to 4pm either Saturday or Sunday stationed at the corner of Robson & Granville. Ask every passerby, "Does 'Power 5 Conference' mean anything to you?" and see how many folks give you the right answer. I'd say less than 5%.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

When is the media conference?
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Coles Notes from interview with Sekeres:

Contract is for 2 years - I'm a bit surprised it wasn't for 3.

Asked about whether this is a stepping stone back to NFL or US - says in coaching nobody knows what will happen in the future but focus is on Lions. He wouldn't be uprooting his family and moving them from Tampa area to lower mainland if he was thinking of this as stop gap move. He has two sons in their mid 20s and they will be coming north too. One son, Quinn Tedford, was an offensive intern with the Buccaneers.

Re: health - had an issue in August. Dealt with it and is feeling great and has been for a couple of months now.

Re: being a head coach again - asked if he missed being a head coach. Said yes and between being an OC or HC he definitely prefers the HC role maybe because he'd done it for so long.

Asked about Cortez and coaching staff - hasn't analyzed staff or really thought about that yet but it's the first thing on his agenda. Says he's kept in touch with Cortez over the years but sounded almost more socially than professionally. Exchange Christmas cards, call to say good luck when things change for either one. Things like that.

Dinner meeting with Washington - timing thing as Washington was heading out of town. Good opportunity to meet him and get to know him a bit.

Asked if he'd met Jordan Rogers before - said he did when recruiting Aaron. Also caught up to him again when he was visiting Vanderbilt and watching a practice there.

Asked about scouting etc. - said he did lots of that recruiting for college and of course knows a lot of players from coaching them or playing against them. A big part of his job in Tampa was to assess draft eligible players and free agents. While he hasn't necessarily talked to the majority of these players he knows something about them and what they bring. Sounds like a guy with a pretty good grasp on a lot of players across the continent.

I didn't pick up what he said about his 3 hour meeting with Lulay. Work got in the way during that piece.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Well, call me surprised that this issue has been addressed this quickly and with candidate that many who have a sense of the finer details of the game say is a great hire. I am glad for team and glad that the person who will take the helm will have so much time to address the needs of this team.

I have to say, I don't think I can remember getting most of my wants met so quickly. Wally has proven me wrong on a couple of counts. I wasn't sure he was going to ditch Chapdelaine (I am still glad about that). I wasn't sure that were weren't gonna have Bene here for another year (he pulled the trigger on that). I wasn't sure about the Stubler loss and am still not quite right with that but if Washington survives, then maybe we have a young talent there. The consensus here is that Dorazio should go along with McMann. I don't really have much opinion on that either way but I trust pretty much the group on here (I think I will call them the 3 Amigos) who are generally among the most knowledgeable about the game and club. When they more or less say things, they usually aren't far off the mark.

Wally has had that mantle of being too loyal to coaches, he may have shrugged it off a little in the last year. He has gone outside the organization to bring in new coaches, he has managed to snare what seems to be a top pick. He pulled the trigger on some of his "friends". There hasn't been very much "old boys club" about most of his recent moves. So kudos to him for doing what really appears to have been needed and kudos to posters here that called it correctly.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Good information, Hambone. Thank you.

And, as you note, Sir P, Wally has stepped outside of the box and surprised some followers of the game. But he is a survivor, first and foremost. He reads the reality of the situation at crunch time. And he is very, very capable of making sound decisions.

I like the sounds of Jeff Tedford. I don't think we could have asked for a more promising hire in this situation. This is a tough league, however. We have no guarantees of huge success. Hufnagel has been building that Calgary organization since 2008. We have some catching up to do. We have our Head Coach.

His rise from a challenging childhood echoes Wally's. I admire the survival skills of both men. :thup:

A bit more from cfl. ca ...

http://www.cfl.ca/article/lions-name-je ... head-coach
Lions name Jeff Tedford their next head coach

Posted: December 19, 2014 01:30 PM

Updated: December 19, 2014 01:34 PM

CFL.ca Staff

VANCOUVER -- The BC Lions ended their head coaching search Friday, announcing that former CFL quarterback and coach Jeff Tedford will become the 25th head coach in team history.

Tedford quarterbacked four teams during his CFL playing career, then coached on current BC Lions Vice President of Football Operations and General Manager Wally Buono's coaching staff in Calgary from 1989 to 1991.

“Jeff has competed on football’s biggest stages and achieved great success,” said Buono. “It speaks volumes about our organization and our league that a coach of Jeff’s stature and appeal has chosen the Lions as his next great challenge.”

The move comes less than a month after the team parted ways with Mike Benevides, the head coach from 2012 through 2014, after the Lions finished 9-9 this season and suffered a first-round exit at the hands of the Montreal Alouettes in the Eastern Semi-Final.

The 53-year-old was most recently a member of the NFL's Tampa Bay Buccaneers as the offensive coordinator.

He spent 11 years as a college head coach with the California State Golden Bears, where he went 82-57 overall and is credited for helping Aaron Rodgers develop into a premier college and eventually NFL quarterback.

He finished with the most wins by a head coach in school history as well as five victories in eight postseason bowl appearances, a share of the PAC-10 title in 2006 and an NCAA ranking that reached as high as number two in 2007.

“I am excited and honoured to be the head coach of the BC Lions,” said Tedford. “The Canadian Football League has remained close to my heart since my days as a player and as an assistant in Calgary. Joining the Lions today is the beginning of a new chapter and I look forward to the challenge of bringing a championship to BC. My thanks go out to David Braley, Dennis Skulsky and of course Wally Buono for giving me this opportunity and I can’t wait to get started.”
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:When is the media conference?
4pm PT as I mentioned in an earlier post above. Not optimal but what can you do.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:
4pm PT as I mentioned in an earlier post above. Not optimal but what can you do.
The Lions have taken the unusual step of confirming the announcement before the press conference. That gives time for the news to spread and for the team to sell a few more season tickets before the team offices close for the Christmas break.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040- ... s-1.163801

Glen Suitor: "tremendous resume ... more wins in 2010 than anybody in Cal's history ... coached 6 different first round draft NFL quarterbacks ... 1) experience in the CFL, 2) trust level with Wally Buono, 3) he is a quarterback coach ... as with Hufnagel, Dickenson, Trestman, Austin ... "

"escape clause in the deal ... all coaches have that ... zero certainty as a coach ... same as JC had with SFU ... money is not an issue for Tedford ... "
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Following up on Hambone's post re Sekeres and Tedford ...

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040- ... e-1.163905

"wife is Canadian, two sons born in Canada ... wife and I are excited ... Vancouver is a great spot ... sons 26 and 28 ... health -- feels great ... working out ... prefers head coaching ... enjoys the challenge ... NCAA -- loves coaching ... quality of life is very important, close to wife's family ... great respect for the CFL game, experienced as a player and as a coach ... stepping stone back to the USA? No ... could have bided his time ... moved his family here, Vancouver, British Columbia ... he is all in ... two year contract ... he sees this as his future ... they offered a two year deal ... first assemble assistant coaches, then evaluate players, reach out to them ... "

"he has met Jordan Rodgers ... Lulay? franchise QB ... injury issues, spent 3 hours talking ... great player ... see how the recovery goes ... want to build depth ... rolodex of QBs? Yes ... recruited and played against a lot of guys ... evaluated the NFL draft with Tampa ... George Cortez? Don't know about staff yet ... next few days reaching out and talking ... staff is up in the air at this time ... Mark W? returning? he was leaving town, timing, get to know one another, will talk some more ... will talk schematics and philosophy ... ongoing relationship with Cortez ... tremendous respect for John Hufnagel ... strong competitor and so am I ... Marshawn Lynch -- special player ... quiet guy, very good teammate ... he and Marshawn text each other ... "

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040- ... s-1.163801

Glen Suitor: "tremendous resume ... more wins in 2010 than anybody in Cal's history ... coached 6 different first round draft NFL quarterbacks ... 1) experience in the CFL, 2) trust level with Wally Buono, 3) he is a quarterback coach ... as with Hufnagel, Dickenson, Trestman, Austin ... "

"escape clause in the deal ... all coaches have that ... zero certainty as a coach ... same as JC had with SFU ... money is not an issue for Tedford ... "
Just listening to this interview with Jake & Pratt online now. Also some discussion on Chap as you note, rumours on who the new commish might be (he floated former Alouettes president Skip Prince as a possibility) and the future of the Argos possibly playing at BMO Field. As an aside, can we get rid of Jake... his clownish catcalls of "chicken, bock bock bock" in the middle of a serious interview... really? SMH.

Tedford's interview with Sekeres & Price, which Hambone has already discussed can be found here:

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040- ... e-1.163905
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:This is not someone who is going to bring lost fans in right out of the gate.

But if it improves the product on the field, the fans will come.

You don't, or at least shouldn't, expect fans to come rushing to the phone based on a Head Coaching hire. That represents rather short sighted thinking, much as the way, say, guaranteeing a win or offering fans a free ticket to a future game represents short sighted thinking. Right?
I agree totally. Fans don't pay good money to see a Head Coach, no matter how impressive his resume may be. They go to see exciting winning football.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Well he cleared up the Mark Washington dinner invite nicely.

I'm not sure I'd be heading out of town unless the HC isn' t quite ready to start as yet. Out of sight - out of mind.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

4:00 PM. Interesting that the Lions call a press conference at 4:00 PM at about the same time the Lions office shuts down for the holidays til Jan. 5th.