BUCK IS BACK - LIONS RE-ACQUIRE PIERCE

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Spud387
Champion

Woot Woot :D

Never had to change my avatar after all these years.

I know I am gonna be rockn' the BP #16 jersey on Sunday.

I think this is a good move, even if it is only for this year and nothing more. Buck got released by us because he wanted to be a starter, but we felt he was too injury proned. Now, if he can accept the role of backup going forward he is a great fit IMHO.

Welcome back Buck!
JohnHenry
Champion

notahomer wrote::shock: Just stunned.... Love Buck the football player but sure hope he doesn't continue to get knocked around. I guess I'm shocked but when I think about it, the Lions are probably a better football team AFTER than before. And the Bomber fans can comment on who got the better of the deal....

I really did think Pierce had played his last snap in a Lions uni.
Most Bomber fans think they got a steal, getting a potential non-import starter for a QB they wanted released, but whose salary was already guaranteed for the remainder of the season. The Lions relieved the Bombers of that obligation.

I believe Wally made this trade to acquire Buck's leadership qualities, not only for his on-field abilities. There's been some talk recently of a "leadership gap" after losing Geroy (who was the undisputed leader of the team), A. Bruce and others. Travis tried to fill that gap but now he'll have Buck there to help shoulder the load. This seems like a positive move for the offence and the team. :thup:
mightybuck
Legend

Glad I still have my pierce 16 jersey, just 2 weeks ago I was thinking, "what am I going to do with this" :). Just wonder if he will go back to 16? Or what? Not that it matters
"The most competitive men love the most competitive game" Vince Lombardi

A true friend is someone who walks in when everyone else is walking out
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

mightybuck wrote:Glad I still have my pierce 16 jersey, just 2 weeks ago I was thinking, "what am I going to do with this" :). Just wonder if he will go back to 16? Or what? Not that it matters
Good point... will DeMarco give up #16? I would think on league seniority he would but we'll have to wait and see.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

The roster on the Lions website has Buck at #11. DeMarco might give up 16 for him, but that's not a great idea if he's a rental as has been suggested here, and I think by now he's got just as much of an identity as #4 in Winnipeg. And that number sure ain't available, at least not for this season.
CardiacKid
Legend

My first reaction was they are going to use Buck as a motivator / mentor for Travis and maybe he takes some snaps if things get truly desperate. A little desperation would be a good thing right now; collectively the team seems to be playing to avoid a loss and not playing to win.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

This is no big surprise. Wally said he wanted a veteran with experience and Buck is the best guy available. There were no NFL cuts with significant CFL experience. Foster was easy trade bait.

One of the things I keep hearing from players, coaches and observers is that the Lions lost a lot of veteran leadership in the offseason, and they lost more with the injury to Angus Reid. They're younger and quicker than last year's team but they don't have as many vets to rally around and lead them when times are tough. Buck is a respected, veteran leader. He can help in the locker room, meeting room and on the sidelines, even if he never takes a snap.
David
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote: Not exactly a vote of confidence for Demarco and Buck behind that o-line/blocking schemes is one scary thought. Unless this is Chapdelaine pleading to Wally to get another experienced QB can read and beat the blitz better than Travis can.
First we release Joey Elliott, now we acquire Buck. What, was Alex Brink not available? :rotf:

Seriously though, to your point SG, there may be some validity to this. A friend of mine opined this evening that he was acquired for depth, sure, but perhaps as a subtle message to Travis that he's not playing to the level of his $450,000 contract and Buck's here to push him (not saying I agree or disagree, just thought it was interesting).

You can count me among those that feel Elliott was dumped for reasons other than performance. I really can't begin to speculate what was behind the move, but it necessitated giving up a non-import asset (that could have been flipped for a much-needed draft pick) for a more expensive, oft-injured QB who, like Elliott, may not even play. On a personal note though, I like Buck and am happy to have him back.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Coast Mountain Lion wrote:The roster on the Lions website has Buck at #11. DeMarco might give up 16 for him, but that's not a great idea if he's a rental as has been suggested here, and I think by now he's got just as much of an identity as #4 in Winnipeg. And that number sure ain't available, at least not for this season.
I'm guessing Buck is quite fine with #11. That was the number he wore throughout his college career at New Mexico State. Players can be very superstitious about numbers and luck. He might be hoping a change back to #11 might break his streak of bad injury luck.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Blitz
Team Captain

David wrote:
SammyGreene wrote: Not exactly a vote of confidence for Demarco and Buck behind that o-line/blocking schemes is one scary thought. Unless this is Chapdelaine pleading to Wally to get another experienced QB can read and beat the blitz better than Travis can.
First we release Joey Elliott, now we acquire Buck. What, was Alex Brink not available? :rotf:

Seriously though, to your point SG, there may be some validity to this. A friend of mine opined this evening that he was acquired for depth, sure, but perhaps as a subtle message to Travis that he's not playing to the level of his $450,000 contract and Buck's here to push him (not saying I agree or disagree, just thought it was interesting). DH :cool:
That wouldn't surprise me. Its not as if Wally has been desperate to have an experienced backup quarterback always here during his tenure. We had two very inexperienced quarterbacks behind Dickenson going into 2003 and 2004. We also had an inexperienced Buck in 2006. Last season we had the inexperienced Reilley and DeMarco. Having an experienced backup has not been a high priority very often on Wally's list.

Instead he has preferred to develop inexperienced quarterbacks in the number #2 spot. Printers, Pierce, Jackson, and Lulay were all very inexperienced quarterbacks when they were in the #2 slot.

Its an interesting move for a number of reasons. It may also signal more changes. Here is what Wally said about the trade in the Province.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Buono said the trade is a message that he is not happy with either the results or the attitude of the Lions.

“This is the beginning,” he said, and went on to identify why his team is 5-0 at home but just 1-4 on the road after Saturday’s 37-29 setback to the Hamilton Tiger Cats.

“The pattern is very consistent. On the road I don’t see any urgency that I see at home. The tackling is shoddy, the protection is shoddy, the effort and discipline is shoddy at times.

“Here’s what disappoints me: I watch the guys come off and on the field (against Hamilton) and they’re walking. Is that not a state of what’s in your heart and your mind? I don’t see no energy.”
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
mightybuck wrote:Wow...thats all

Mb
Welcome back. To you and Buck.

Tell him he was not forgotten. One of the all time Lions guys. :thup:
Agreed. I didn't see MB had posted as I was slow in composing mine. Here working and there was a long phone call delay.

You have to think they just feel they need two experienced QBs and Demarco isn't there yet.

WPG Free Press reporters talking about how great Buck was for that team, etc:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports ... 01041.html
Last edited by Toppy Vann on Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

mightybuck wrote:Wow...thats all

Mb
Welcome back, MB. Where have you been? :wink:
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The headline is about Buck but most of the story is the GM's overall team issues with what has happened this game and on the road this season. It is not directed at Lulay but part of the story where Wally is doing a bit of professional GM calling out of his team BUT he is doing it the right way. He's not happy and he is right. Rather than calling out specific players he has kept his media comments at the right level for a GM. As he notes, you change the culture by bringing in new players as these guys will then send a message even and push the incumbents if not replace them.
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/footb ... story.html

Buck Pierce headed back to Lions, Buono warns the deal is only the beginning

Leos GM unhappy with team’s road performance, attitude

By Lowell Ullrich, The Province September 8, 2013
Buono said the trade is a message that he is not happy with either the results or the attitude of the Lions.

“This is the beginning,” he said, and went on to identify why his team is 5-0 at home but just 1-4 on the road after Saturday’s 37-29 setback to the Hamilton Tiger Cats.

“The pattern is very consistent. On the road I don’t see any urgency that I see at home. The tackling is shoddy, the protection is shoddy, the effort and discipline is shoddy at times.

“Here’s what disappoints me: I watch the guys come off and on the field (against Hamilton) and they’re walking. Is that not a state of what’s in your heart and your mind? I don’t see no energy.”

The trade involving Foster, who was almost cut before training camp and has been a healthy scratch nearly all season, was in the works before the Hamilton loss.
Buck is happy to get out of Winnipeg and says the right things too.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Nothing against BP either way. But when a house has foundation problems and a mold problem, I'm not sure how useful it is spending assets changing out the switch plates.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

The more i think about this trade, the more I like it. As Hambone mentioned, Lions would have left Foster unprotected and lost to Ottawa in the expansion draft with no compensation. Now they get something for Foster and if Buck as a QB were to get picked by Ottawa, then Lions get to protect additional players.

If Lulay gets hurt, now Lions have an experienced vet to replace him.

Lots of Lionbackers have expressed concern with DeMarco on short yardage QB sneaks. So, i wonder if Buck takes over that roll and does Buck get a package of plays that would allow Lulay to come out for a series and observe from the sidelines and talk to J. Jackson etc?