2012 Grey Cup Prediction - Calgary vs. Toronto

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Which team will win the 100th Grey Cup?

Poll ended at Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:47 pm

Calgary Stampeders
50%
Toronto Argonauts
50%

Total votes: 20
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
Upper Bowl wrote:
zark wrote:If Argos win, it P O's Calgary fans and Shmoe fans (ie, the Rickey Ray trade) .
Go Argoooos. :yahoo:

That's a pretty great "two birds, one stone" scenario, isn't it? My feelings exactly....

The ONLY thing that would temper my enthusiasm for an Argos win is the fact they'd do it on home turf. I'm proud of the Lions for being the only team to win the Cup in their own stadium, in a long time.
Actually the Als won at home in 1977 and the Argos won nine home Grey Cups back in the days of Varsity Stadium as a nearly perennial hosting venue. But in the modern era (since the official CFL founding season of 1956) we're the only ones to have done it twice and that won't change no matter the outcome on Sunday.

Edit: oops, I just noticed your "in a long time" qualifier at the very end so I guess you're right. The ones I've listed here are pretty much the only others among current franchises.
Brain cramp: I forgot Ti-Cats in 1972 as hometown Grey Cup winners.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
zark
Champion

I voted Argos. Argooooooos!
I think I'll tune this sight out....once again...
Sounds too negative.
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Cornish gained a lot of respect from me today (not much but a little). He story about his two 'moms'. Maybe thats why he's grown such a thick skin and claims to thrive off of "BOOS". Apparently he even had some nice things to say about Andrew Harris!?!? Maybe this guys human afterall.......
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Whatever the outcome of the game, I hope there's no controversy about it. There's only going to be one 100th Grey Cup and I'd prefer it not be remembered for a terrible reffing call that figures in the outcome, a la the Flutie fumble in 1996. Less likely these days with automatic reviews of all scores and coach's challenges but still not impossible.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
lion24
Legend

I am not sure if I can cheer for either it is hard enough to watch without the Lions involved, however I hope for a good game either way.
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
zark
Champion

sj-roc wrote:Whatever the outcome of the game, I hope there's no controversy about it. There's only going to be one 100th Grey Cup and I'd prefer it not be remembered for a terrible reffing call that figures in the outcome, a la the Flutie fumble in 1996. Less likely these days with automatic reviews of all scores and coach's challenges but still not impossible.
Don't watch, and don't predict a controversy. If you're so strung out about this game, don't watch it. Read the topic of this thread.
Start another thread DUDE!!!!
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I stopped by Memphis Blues BBQ House. The only better way to enjoy the Grey Cup game would be if the Lions were in it. Was chatting with one of the owners of MemphisBlues and he reports some of the Stamps ate a meal there last Saturday night.....

I'm gonna skip the pre-game mumbojumbo and tune in once the game starts..........
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

zark wrote:
sj-roc wrote:Whatever the outcome of the game, I hope there's no controversy about it. There's only going to be one 100th Grey Cup and I'd prefer it not be remembered for a terrible reffing call that figures in the outcome, a la the Flutie fumble in 1996. Less likely these days with automatic reviews of all scores and coach's challenges but still not impossible.
Don't watch, and don't predict a controversy. If you're so strung out about this game, don't watch it. Read the topic of this thread.
I simply expressed hopes there wouldn't be a controversy. If you can elaborate how that constitutes a prediction of controversy, I'm all ears (or all eyes for this medium, I suppose). I think most reasonable folks would condone not wanting to see one and hoping against it. Surely you don't honestly think that by merely pointing it out as a possibility by citing a single precedent, somehow that magically increases the chances of such occurrence?

Not sure how it all equates to being "strung out" anyway. Moreover, I was commenting on a matter relevant to the outcome of the game so I saw no need to create a new thread. If the mods see fit to split this off as a separate thread then so be it.
Ballistic Bob
Legend

sj-roc wrote:
zark wrote:
I simply expressed hopes there wouldn't be a controversy. If you can elaborate how that constitutes a prediction of controversy, I'm all ears (or all eyes for this medium, I suppose). I think most reasonable folks would condone not wanting to see one and hoping against it. Surely you don't honestly think that by merely pointing it out as a possibility by citing a single precedent, somehow that magically increases the chances of such occurrence?

Not sure how it all equates to being "strung out" anyway. Moreover, I was commenting on a matter relevant to the outcome of the game so I saw no need to create a new thread. If the mods see fit to split this off as a separate thread then so be it.
the only crontoversy I saw coming was the Brailley Bowl last Sunday but low and behold. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing