CFL Draft Thread for May 6, 2013 ... Picks & Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

OV - 54:40 wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:And with four or possibly five top rated D Line prospects, we have a very good chance to land a couple of them. IMO D Line Non-Imports need to be stocked up in our cupboard. I would hope that Brent Johnson stays one more year. I thought he played well last year.

Crawford is maybe a pretty good bet to draw some NFL interest from what i've read in some scouting reports; so maybe a gamble to take him in the first round where the Lions have #s 4 & 7 overall ? (see Atogwe, Rob Meier, etc.)
Yes, too bad Crawford is so talented as to draw interest from the NFL. Makes him a dangerous pick. If he falls to the Lions second first round pick, however, he might be worth a gamble there.
a bunch of other good D-line prospects are up in this draft, and maybe the Lions could wait till #14 overall to address that position and still get one of Gascon-Nadon or Paal or Hazime; Bilikudi is an interesting prospect - good size and has played both DT & DE in US college ball - maybe more a DT for the CFL; and a couple of good CIS DTs - Thomas (Acadia) and Van Praaet (Western) might be available still in the later rounds.

Honestly, I will be disappointed if we do not score one or two top rated D Linemen this draft. However, after all the hopes that came true this year, one cannot be too greedy or disappointed.
and be interesting to see if Stubler wants to go with a lot of the 3-4 look he likes - in both Toronto and Edmonton they deployed NIs mostly at the nose/DT spot
Dunno about the 3-4. The experiment sure didn't work out this year. I felt Benevides did not know how or have the instincts to make it run. IMO as a hang back defence, it is bound to fail. Stubler could make it work. I still prefer the 4-3 over the 3-4. But what I mostly like is to keep things varied enough so the O does not really know what to expect. Which of the front seven are coming in? I liked Stubler's Seven Up defence in Toronto for that reason.
Might see no real need to have any NI D-linemen on the game roster?
I would not be liking that at all.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Arnaud Gascon-Nadon of Laval will be in action Saturday at the East West Shrine Game (1 p.m. on the NFL Network), along with Saskatchewan OL Ben Heenan, who may be the No. 1 pick in the CFL draft.

Each year I look forward to seeing how CIS players measure up against NCAA competition in this game. Usually they hold their own but don't stand out. The one other CIS player in the game, Regina DT Akiem Hicks, has drawn a lot of attention from scouts but he's an American and is only eligible for the NFL draft.
OV - 54:40
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:Arnaud Gascon-Nadon of Laval will be in action Saturday at the East West Shrine Game (1 p.m. on the NFL Network), along with Saskatchewan OL Ben Heenan, who may be the No. 1 pick in the CFL draft.

Each year I look forward to seeing how CIS players measure up against NCAA competition in this game. Usually they hold their own but don't stand out. The one other CIS player in the game, Regina DT Akiem Hicks, has drawn a lot of attention from scouts but he's an American and is only eligible for the NFL draft.

Crawford is also playing this game; as is last year's Ticats draft pick Moe Petrus - who sounds like a top rated C who should get an NFL look and maybe never show-up for the Ticats.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

OV - 54:40 wrote: Crawford is also playing this game; as is last year's Ticats draft pick Moe Petrus - who sounds like a top rated C who should get an NFL look and maybe never show-up for the Ticats.
Crawford is probably out of the CFL's reach already. Pro scout Wes Bunting has him rated as the fifth best NFL prospect at the East-West Shrine Game, while Hicks is tenth.
5. Boise State DE Tyrone Crawford (6-4, 285) -- At 285 pounds, Crawford showcased natural power all week at the point of attack in the run game while exhibiting the ability to be sudden with his hands and slip blocks. He's also a physical pass rusher who turns speed into power off the edge, understands angles and knows how to rush with leverage. I could see him fighting for a starting job as a 4-3 base end potentially early on.

NFL Fits: Browns, Broncos, Titans
Link
Blitz
Team Captain

We obviously need a defensive lineman in the draft as a priority and getting another offensive lineman with big potential would be huge with Reid's career winding down.

However, I would love to see us focus on two other areas as well. I really believe we need a receiver, especially if we decide not to retain Paris Jackson, which unfortunatelly is very likely.n Jackson will be offered a seventh receiver salary, which the Leos know he will likley refuse after taking a big wage cut last season. There are if a deficiency of talented Canadian receivers our there and Jackson will likley have some serious interest from other CFL clubs. I'm not sold on Iannuzzi at this point. Another area to cosider is the potential of being able to start a non-import in the future at wideside corner.

This draft has some very good prospects at offensive line and defensive line. Considering our record last season we go into a talented draft in good shape.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Champion

Blitz wrote:We obviously need a defensive lineman in the draft as a priority and getting another offensive lineman with big potential would be huge with Reid's career winding down.

However, I would love to see us focus on two other areas as well. I really believe we need a receiver, especially if we decide not to retain Paris Jackson, which unfortunatelly is very likely.n Jackson will be offered a seventh receiver salary, which the Leos know he will likley refuse after taking a big wage cut last season. There are if a deficiency of talented Canadian receivers our there and Jackson will likley have some serious interest from other CFL clubs. I'm not sold on Iannuzzi at this point. Another area to cosider is the potential of being able to start a non-import in the future at wideside corner.

This draft has some very good prospects at offensive line and defensive line. Considering our record last season we go into a talented draft in good shape.
Disagree on a "deficiency of talented Canadian receivers out there" - IMO it's one of, if not the strongest position groups for NIs in the CFL; Paris Jackson may be on the outs with the Lions cause they have some impressive young Canadian receivers in Gore, Foster & Iannuzzi ( though i think P. Jackson can still play - love to see the Argos acquire him if he is not wanted in BC, as they are lacking at receiver overall); the Riders got to GCs with Fantuz, Bagg and Getzlaf as quality starting receivers; the Stamps have a couple of impressive young guys in Arthur & Forzani with a 1st rounder in Parker on the roster; plus they just signed Bauman who may not be the write-off some think he is. And there's several very good receiver prospects IMO up again in this coming draft, after 4 receivers were taken in the first round last year.
Champion

David wrote:I wonder if the club plans on bringing Chris Hodgson back to camp next year? I know he was a project - not many 6th rounders crack a CFL roster - but he did have a lot of raw athletic ability until his season ending (knee?) injury.

DH :cool:

Apparently not - Hodgson just signed with the Als.

And - sometimes 6th round CFL picks can pan out - like Dave Stala; and from the 08 CFL draft - five 6th rounders were on CFL rosters this past season - with 3 of them being starters at times.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/duane_forde/?id=385686

CFL Draft 2012 update by Duane Forde ... Excerpts focusing on D Line, which IMO is the Lions' greatest need.
The NFL scouts will focus most of their attention on Boise State defensive end Tyrone Crawford and Connecticut centre Moe Petrus. Petrus, a four-year starter at UConn, was a second round pick (10th overall) of the Hamilton Tiger-Cats last spring. The Montreal native and First Team All-Big East selection will suit up for the West squad on Saturday. Among his teammates will be Crawford. Remarkably athletic at 285 lbs., the Windsor, Ontario product is actually the #2 ranked prospect for the 2012 CFL Draft (#1 on my list) but many personnel people north of the border expect the pass rush terror to be in the NFL this fall. So too does National Football Post draft analyst Wes Bunting, who has rated Crawford as the fifth best NFL prospect participating in Saturday's game.
Crawford is so highly rated, I would expect him to be taken later in the CFL draft, unless a team has a lottery type impulse.
Laval defensive end Arnaud Gascon-Nadon, the two-time Metras Trophy winner (CIS's top down lineman) and #13 CSB prospect, were selected as the CIS representatives in this year's Shrine Game. They'll combine with Crawford and Petrus to unofficially make the West into "Canada's Team".
Gascon-Nadon seems to me to be in the style of Ricky Foley. Not overly big, but fast, strong, with a great motor.
However, the East still has the player who represents the most fascinating Canadian story of the week in University of Regina defensive tackle Akiem Hicks. Hicks is actually an American who found his way to the U of R in 2010 after being declared ineligible by the NCAA. Despite finding himself well off the beaten path of most NFL scouts, the former Louisiana State University recruit parlayed back-to-back All-Canadian seasons into a Shrine Game invitation.

It's worth noting that the big Californian was invited strictly on his merit as a legitimate NFL prospect, not as part of the game's agreement to include CIS players. Regardless, he has emerged as one of the week's best stories, impressing with his size (6'5", 325 lbs.), explosive power, and pass rush skills. He is now seen by most as a potential late round pick and was rated by the aforementioned Bunting as the game's 10th best NFL prospect.
Worth a pick for sure. Another gamble, depending on the NFL draft and Training Camps.

IMO the sheer quality and depth of talent available bodes well for the future of the CFL. Both imports and non-imports.

It is also interesting to see the NFL gradually evolve to a more explosive, pass oriented league, which of course the CFL has been for decades.

With the talent available, IMO things are looking good for the CFL. Put the product on the field, "and the people will come." LOL New stadiums. Better pay cheques. More fans. All good.
joe kapp22
Legend

Moving closer to Ecamp, and tbh, I'm not really sure which direction we will go in, as keeping Jovan and Khalif was unexpected and we have good NI depth, I also think maybe Joash Gesse has his shot this yr as he should be fully healed from his ACL problem of 2 yrs ago.

I almost think we would be better served trading out of the #8 for future picks.

If we keep the pick then I'd think we go OL with Matt Norman or Gascon-Naden the DE.

Did some checking and it turns out:

-we have the #4 and #8 picks
-Wpg forfeited their pick to take Poblah in the supplemental draft so we effectively have the #7 pick

Ameet Pall at #4 and trade the #8? To me we have to add some answers for when Brent Johnson really does retire.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
Rammer
Team Captain

E-Camp Player List

QB
Billy Greene QB UBC 6.01 220
Kyle Graves QB Acadia 6.03 230
Kyle Quinlan QB McMaster 6.03 205

DB
Pete Adams DB Manitoba 6.02 205
Jordan Duncan DB Guelph 6.02 202
Dylan Hollohan CB St. Francis Xavier 5.10 183
Brent Krawchuk DB Alberta 6.00 180
Keenan MacDougall CB Saskatchewan 6.02 208
Harrison Maloney DB Bishop's 6.02 205
Bryce McCall DB Saskatchewan 6.00 200
Shea Pierre DB Windsor 6.00 190
Teague Sherman DB Manitoba 5.11 195
Jamir Walker DB Regina 5.11 181

RB
Adrian Charles RB Regina 5.09 189
Joey Gabrick RB UBC 6.04 220
Ryan Granberg RB Queen's 6.00 185
Brett Haenni RB Acadia 6.01 230
Patrick Lavoie RB Laval 6.02 240
Sébastien Lévesque RB Laval 5.10 205
Nathan Riva RB Western University 5.11 195

LB
Jonathan Beaulieu-Richard LB Montreal 6.01 215
Mitchell Bosch LB Wilfrid Laurier 6.01 215
Wilkerson Desouza LB Toronto 5.11 227
Tyler Greenslade LB Alberta 6.01 215
Samuel Hurl LB Calgary 6.01 225
Samael Lavaud LB Laval 6.01 235
Frédéris Plesius LB Laval 6.01 240
Kevin Régimbald-Gagné LB Sherbrooke 6.01 230
Tyler Sawyer LB Ottawa 6.00 210
Rene Stephan LB Harding 6.01 220
Jordan Verdone LB Calgary 5.11 235

OL
Kirby Fabien OL Calgary 6.06 295
Ben Heenan OL Saskatchewan 6.04 310
Tyler Honeywood OL Acadia 6.00 275
Jason Medeiros OL McMaster 6.04 315
Derek Morris OL Queen's 6.04 300
Matthew Norman OL Western University 6.03 317
Tyson Pencer OL Washington State 6.08 330
Carson Rockhill OL Calgary 6.06 284

WR
Johnny Aprile WR Queen's 6.02 208
Ismael Bamba WR Sherbrooke 6.01 195
Jordan Brescacin WR Windsor 6.04 180
Shamawd Chambers WR Wilfrid Laurier 6.03 219
Simon Charbonneau-Campeau WR Sherbrooke 6.04 195
Sanchez Deschamps WR Concordia 6.01 200
Bogdan Raic WR Ottawa 6.02 218
Jahmeek Taylor WR Ottawa 5.09 170
Jawann Westerman WR Rutgers 5.11 177

DL
Adam Hindley DL Manitoba 6.02 270
Justin Capicciotti DL Simon Fraser 6.03 245
Arnaud Gascon-Nadon DL Laval 6.03 250
Rob Jubenville DL Saint-Mary's 6.02 255
David Lee DL Western University 6.03 258
Frank Pankewich DL Queen's 6.03 230
Seamus Postuma DL Windsor 6.03 300
Jake Thomas DL Acadia 6.02 275
Michael Van Praet DL Western University 6.01 303
Jabar Westerman DL Eastern Michigan 6.02 285
Entertainment value = an all time low
BCfanInDIXIE
Starter

too bad there are no Troy players entering this year, we produce a lot of talent. former Trojan standouts Kenny Mainor (Winnipeg) and Bear Woods (Montreal) are currently starters up there.
Founder of the Bama BC Fan Club :towel:
joe kapp22
Legend

BCfanInDIXIE wrote:too bad there are no Troy players entering this year, we produce a lot of talent. former Trojan standouts Kenny Mainor (Winnipeg) and Bear Woods (Montreal) are currently starters up there.
MSU's Larson was also drafted and signed with someone.

Interesting to see which direction we take, usually a Grey Cup means lots of guys leave as FA's, this yr we kept most of them, so we really don't have glaring needs, even losing Andrew Jones is not a real blow which is why trading out makes some sense.

Not to bash the CIS, however usually these guys sit for a while to learn their skills to be pro's, but NI depth and starters is so key in this league you have to hit on your picks.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I just hope that we can keep whoever we draft and not allow him to be scooped up by Obie
joe kapp22
Legend

My mock draft:

#1 Sask OL Ben Heenan
#2 Edmonton OL Austin Pasztor
#3 Hamilton DE Ameet Pall
#4 BC DE Tyrone Crawford
#5 Calgary OL Kirby Fabien
#6 Edmonton Wr Shamawd Chambers
#7 BC DE Arnuad Gascon-Nadon or Kristo Bilkudi

Wally adores taking guys who he likes who probably are heading South
Champion

IF - the Lions are serious / commited to playing NIs (at least some) at RB, they should think of drafting Levesque (Laval) - a super explosive bowling ball of a RB - broke so many big gainers in CIS ball; i believe he will still be around at #14 and possibly even late in the draft where the Lions currently hold #s 37 & 38; Harris and Foord are a couple of pretty good backs IMO, but more small. shifty types and Lumbala is there for fullback; Lapointe is more of a pure power running tailback.