Disappointing season or masterful rebuild?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:We could add a Canadian on defense (its why signing Foley would have given us so many options we don't have now) but there is no Canadian ready to start on the defensive line nor at linebacker.
Actually, I am relieved we didn't sign Foley. The Argos did us a favour. They signed him to a huge contract and got just 1 sack from him in 8 games....even with a talented "book end" in Ronald Flemons. The $150,000 2011 contract would have been an anchor around our necks as far as building for next season.

I would have preferred to have gone after Cory Mace instead.

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Blitz
Team Captain

David wrote:
Blitz wrote:We could add a Canadian on defense (its why signing Foley would have given us so many options we don't have now) but there is no Canadian ready to start on the defensive line nor at linebacker.
Actually, I am relieved we didn't sign Foley. The Argos did us a favour. They signed him to a huge contract and got just 1 sack from him in 8 games....even with a talented "book end" in Ronald Flemons. The $150,000 2011 contract would have been an anchor around our necks as far as building for next season.

DH
Not me..I would have liked to have signed Foley. He will play better next season..its often an adjustment after an NFL tryout. Why I wanted Foley signed was that he' not only is a Canadian defensive end but the options he would have given us..for example starting Hyland at safety next season. He's a ratio changer.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
David
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:
David wrote:

DH
Not me..I would have liked to have signed Foley. He will play better next season..its often an adjustment after an NFL tryout. Why I wanted Foley signed was that he' not only is a Canadian defensive end but the options he would have given us..for example starting Hyland at safety next season. He's a ratio changer.
With all due respect, he's hardly a 'ratio changer' if you're not getting production and you're over paying. Trading for Mace would have been a better option. He's a hometown guy and can be a starter in this league, actually made an NFL roster, is nearly 4 years younger and a lot cheaper.

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Rammer
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:
David wrote:

DH
And somewhere in the middle lies the truth I suspect, he was definitely overpaid for this season in TO, although that may be an adjustment to the scheme in TO. Still having Hyland in at safety would have been very sweet going into the WDSF.
Entertainment value = an all time low
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Wally wanted him back, if Ricky was sure in his own mind. Almost had him. Ricky wasn't sure. No doubt Toronto paid too much, and then could not get him playing well. Wally would have had him for about the right price, I expect.

I was hoping we would get him. And that hasn't changed.

Non stop motor. Fast. Hustles sideline to sideline. As far as making career decisions, he is not the only athlete who has trouble with that.

He is an Argo now and unlikely to ever be a Lion again. Closed chapter.

This will be interesting. To see if people can have differing views, tolerating the opposite side's view.

It don't bother me if someone wanted Ricky here or not. Who cares? Ain't nobody about to change either. That ain't how it works.

And since I liked the way Ricky played when he was here, I actually would like to see him do well wherever he plays. Just IMO ... not directed at anyone, not looking for argument.