Lions Want Jimenez Suspended for Johnson Hit - Mike Beamish

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

ziggy
Legend

He's become a bitter, bitter man. C'mon Jimenez show some class, you're better than the way you're currently behaving.
scrawnyPilgrim
prospect

"I look at it like this: an eye for an eye," Lions' defensive back Korey Banks told the Globe and Mail. "If that's all he's going to get, than you've got to get it back. ... They give us no choice when they don't handle it."
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

About payback ...

Is revenge more justified than the original act? I don't see how.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

ziggy wrote:... you're better than the way you're currently behaving.
no he isnt
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
scrawnyPilgrim
prospect

WestCoastJoe wrote:About payback ...

Is it revenge or is it protecting yourself and others because the league is powerless to protect you?
or
Is it about sending a message?
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

scrawnyPilgrim wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:About payback ...

Is it revenge or is it protecting yourself and others because the league is powerless to protect you?
or
Is it about sending a message?
Oh yes. That is true. And it is the law of the jungle.

IMO Buono is wise not to fan the flames of those that might seek retribution.

In his mind Jimenez might have been seeking revenge also. Against Buono or the Lions or, mixing his emotions, against anyone perceived as an enemy who crossed him in the past. Not everyone keeps their motivations tidy. For some it is like: "Someone is going to pay. Don't get in my way."
Rammer
Team Captain

Ravi wrote:
Rammer wrote: There was a Bomber OL who got bounced from the league for his dirty play a few years back....started with an M as IR.
Brandon Dyson was that Winnipeg player that you are referring to.
Thanks Ravi, I knew it wasn't Mudge, but kept coming up with his name....sigh.
Entertainment value = an all time low
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/foo ... story.html

Stamps condemn Ticat's illegal block on B.C. player

Allen Cameron, Calgary Herald September 21, 2010
As far as Miguel Robede is concerned, Jason Jimenez got away with it once. He shouldn't be able to get away with it again.
Back in 2007, Robede's Calgary Stampeders teammate Anthony Gargiulo had his leg broken by an illegal Jimenez block, and Gargiulo never played another game.

"It's BS again," fumed Robede. "The guy's (Gargiulo) career is over, and obviously he's (Jimenez) going to hurt someone again. I don't know; if I was the commissioner, I'd be doing something about it.

"We're professionals, we play hard, and sometimes you might hurt somebody, but you don't want to hurt him to the point where he might not play anymore. At some point, the more you do that stuff, the more that will come (back to you) later."

"I despise players like that," added defensive end Charleston Hughes. "Personally? People like that shouldn't even be in the league. if you play dirty like that, then why can't I do the same thing to him? It's a straight respect issue. I know that when I play against him, I have to protect myself.

"I guess that's the message you have to get out there, to protect yourself, but it's a bad message."
That Jimenez would get himself in another incident that could be described as dirty doesn't come as a surprise to defensive tackle DeVone Claybrooks.

"He does have a rep for it," said Claybrooks. "I think it's classless; it's like, I can't beat you between the whistles, so I have to do something after the whistle to either agitate you or end your career. We're all professionals, and guys out here have kids and families, so to do that is just saying that you're more worried about yourself. I mean, I know you want to go hard against your former team, but that was just appalling."
I wonder if the respect of other players around the league means anything to Jimenez. It would not seem so. I don't think he will be getting a career in broadcasting in Canada after he retires from football. Coaching might be a reach too.

Did you ever have a house cat that killed too many birds? Some families make it wear a bell around the neck as a warning. Jimenez should have to wear one. 320 pound tackle on the loose, hunting for vulnerable legs. Lookout. Jimenez has you lined up.

From the James Bond book, Goldfinger: "Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three times is enemy action." Buono has made statements to the effect of not seeking revenge. Sometimes, as in hockey, the retaliation is what draws the penalty.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

“When they had an opportunity to expose him at the arbitration process, they did what?" Buono asks. "They didn’t. There is no truth to that [a willingness to seek vengeance on Jimenez, when the Lions meet the Tiger-Cats again on Nov. 6], I guarantee you."

Why is Wally just blaming the players. If he felt this strong why did he keep the guy after that?

Jimenez is wrong but he is far from a guy who should be banned from the league.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

the problem with wally is that his religious beleifs required him to be forgiving and to turn the other cheek.
ziggy
Legend

I don't know how we got to this being Wally's problem? He followed the diciplinary procedures( such as they are) the league has in place during the first incident. He didn't add additional punishment (imagine the howling if he cut Jimenez because of the first incident) after the league took its action. He treated the guy like had done wrong, but had done his penance. I don't see where this somehow makes him a bad person? Jimenez on the other hand clearly didn't learn from the first incident and now is a repeat offender. To deflect any blame for Jimennez's actions to anyone else is to me a sign of the times, where its always someone elses fault, or the systems, never the individuals.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/drop ... story.html

By George Johnson, Postmedia News September 24, 2010

Comments by Anthony Gargiulo
Anthony Gargiulo hasn’t seen the incident. There isn’t much clamouring for CFL highlights, or lowlights, out in Clark, New Jersey.

“I don’t have to,’’ he says. “I hear it was just like the one that happened to me. Thank God, Brent (Johnson) wasn’t hurt.’’

“To be honest, it’s something I let go of a long time ago,” Gargiulo says. “My being angry isn’t going to change anything, correct anything. It isn’t going to do me any good.’’

“I remember being hit from behind,’’ says Gargiulo, “him rolling over on my leg, lying on the field . . ."

“Look, football’s a tough, hard game. Everybody knows that. At the same time, it’s got to be safe. When you’re been playing 10-12 years of pro ball, like most guys in the CFL have, you should’ve figured out what’s safe and what isn’t, for all players. We’re all in the same boat, all at the same risk."

“Dirty? I wasn’t happy about it, obviously. I’m not going to tell you that. I’m also not going to judge what’s dirty and what isn’t. That’s not my place."

“I was a little disappointed in the CFL and the CFLPA, though, to be honest. The CFLPA is supposed to be for all players, right? Well, it didn’t do much for me. I understand their wanting to protect Mr. Jimenez’s rights, but . . ."

“Now it’s happened again, with the same guy, and that’s sad.’’

“I hear this time there was a little more than ‘inconclusive evidence’, quote-unquote,” says Gargiulo, “and if I’m correct, still no suspension, right?"

“If that’s the way the CFL and CFLPA want to run their league, that’s their prerogative.’’
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

The best and only revenge is that the next time they meet, they beat the tabbies like the rented mules they are.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote:If the Lions must exact their revenge, they should target a Ticat skill player like, A. Bruce, McIntyre or Glenn...rather than just trying to lay a licking on a thug and enforcer like Jiminez. The Lions should of reacted during the game, not just turn the cheek and whine about it later...If we still had Rob Murphy he would of had Jiminez down in a choke hold...and this all would be over.
revenge like this does not belong on the field. Get JJ, and only JJ, when off the field, where there are no camaras watching.