Glatt and Jimenez Released

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Tad Crawford ... It will be good to see how Crawford does at safety. He should be fine.

Jason Arakgi ... Why not give him some time at linebacker? He has great speed and tackling ability. He would seem to be a better fit there than at safety or receiver. With his special team play, he has certainly earned some credits. Shhhhhhh Let's hope the NFL has not noticed his work there.
Rammer
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:Tad Crawford ... It will be good to see how Crawford does at safety. He should be fine.

Jason Arakgi ... Why not give him some time at linebacker? He has great speed and tackling ability. He would seem to be a better fit there than at safety or receiver. With his special team play, he has certainly earned some credits. Shhhhhhh Let's hope the NFL has not noticed his work there.
I wish I could laugh at your last poke at our NFL exodus, but alas I cannot. :tease:
Entertainment value = an all time low
Leothelion
All Star

All i can say about all wally's moves is wow. I am surprised. I have been a long time supporter of Wally but now I think he has lost it. I have no confidence that the lions will do anything in 2010. We need changes at the top.

leo
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Leothelion wrote:All i can say about all wally's moves is wow. I am surprised. I have been a long time supporter of Wally but now I think he has lost it. I have no confidence that the lions will do anything in 2010. We need changes at the top.

leo
leo... be a bit fair man. Do you really think Glatt deserves starting at middle linebacker? Do you not recall Jiminez gettin' beatin' like a bad drum on many many plays?
SammyGreene
Team Captain

The Globe and Mail's Matt's Sekeres' story on yesterday's developments. You wonder if we find as soon as Monday regarding Miles when the coaching staff is announced. Perhaps Wally wants some info held back until then.

Also sounds like the defensive scheme will remain intact of Banks is still slotted as a LB.
Matthew Sekeres
VANCOUVER — Globe and Mail Update
After a miserable season during which the team never got on track, B.C. Lions general manager and head coach Wally Buono was bound to make changes.

Yesterday, Buono released veterans Javy Glatt and Jason Jimenez, both starters on the 2006 Grey Cup team.

Glatt, a Canadian linebacker who lost his starting job after six games last season, asked for his release, but Buono kept the door open for his return. Jimenez, B.C.'s starting right tackle for the last four seasons, was dumped after a noticeable slump in 2009.

“The performance was not acceptable,” Buono said of Jimenez. “Jason was a player we counted on.”

Buono said the team had been trying to correct technical aspects of Jimenez's game for the last four years, but couldn't reach him. He said Daren Heerspink, who started at left tackle last season, would be moved to the right side, which Buono said was his natural position.

Heerspink will battle Canadian sophomore Justin Sorensen for the starting assignment, while Damane Duckett, an American who spent most of last season on the practice roster, is the front-runner to start at left tackle. Several import players will also be signed to compete.

At linebacker, Buono said that Anton McKenzie and Korey Banks would continue to start on the outside, and that a new American will man the middle linebacker position. He said the team plans to use a designated import to back up all three linebacker spots, and that Canadian James Yurichuk, a special-teams standout as a rookie, will also be given a chance to compete.

But he wouldn't discount Glatt, 28, returning to the Lions.

The University of British Columbia product was paid handsomely as a Canadian starter, and therefore had no trade value because other teams knew that the Lions would have to release him if no takers were found. Buono said that if Glatt doesn't hook up with another team, he would consider bringing the seven-year veteran back at a reduced rate.

“If things don't work out, we'd very much sit down and talk,” Buono said.

The Lions finished 8-10 last year, and their run defence was deplorable, permitting a CFL-worst 138 yards a game.

Buono said that he has had several discussions with starting safety Barron Miles about “a number of options.” Buono wouldn't respond if that meant a position on the coaching staff. Quarterbacks coach Steff Kruck and defensive line coach Mike Roach will not be back in 2010. Miles, 38, is a 12-year veteran who was uncertain of his playing future when the season ended with a loss to the Montreal Alouettes in the East Division final.
Tighthead
Legend

If there were technical flaws in Jiminzez's game, why sign him to a big contract?

Saying the coaching staff couldn't reach a 4 year starter just sounds hinky to me. I didn't notice a big drop off with Jiminez last year, and I don't recall many fans complaining either.

Banks still at LB - can't stand that sceme.
Rammer
Team Captain

Tighthead wrote:If there were technical flaws in Jiminzez's game, why sign him to a big contract?

Saying the coaching staff couldn't reach a 4 year starter just sounds hinky to me. I didn't notice a big drop off with Jiminez last year, and I don't recall many fans complaining either.

Jimenez was off last season from the previous season where he was dominant. Unfortunately for him Wally had some much cheaper options to go to. The contract was based on his 08 performance, a legitimate signing, but with that you place an expectation upon the dollars you are receiving. As for the media speak, we will never hear the exact truth, it is given to a question that the HC doesn't want to answer.
Entertainment value = an all time low
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:The Globe and Mail's Matt's Sekeres' story on yesterday's developments.
Interesting article, Sammy. Sekeres writes some good stuff. He writes quite often about the Lions. He usually has a reasonable balance. Not in Wally's pocket, but not just a hatchet man either.
“The performance was not acceptable,” Buono said of Jimenez. “Jason was a player we counted on.”

Buono said the team had been trying to correct technical aspects of Jimenez's game for the last four years, but couldn't reach him. He said Daren Heerspink, who started at left tackle last season, would be moved to the right side, which Buono said was his natural position.
Wally's coach-speak. Somewhere in there or his other pronouncements you might find the reason for Jimenez's release. IMO his play might have slipped a bit, and he seems like a very independent guy. Plus his salary is very high for his position. And he is not all that hard to replace with similar ability.
Heerspink will battle Canadian sophomore Justin Sorensen for the starting assignment, while Damane Duckett, an American who spent most of last season on the practice roster, is the front-runner to start at left tackle. Several import players will also be signed to compete.
I like Heerspink. Solid. Not spectacular but very capable. Duckett has potential IMO.
At linebacker, Buono said that Anton McKenzie and Korey Banks would continue to start on the outside, and that a new American will man the middle linebacker position. He said the team plans to use a designated import to back up all three linebacker spots, and that Canadian James Yurichuk, a special-teams standout as a rookie, will also be given a chance to compete.
Last year this group was a mess. Constant turnover of personnel. Great troubles against the run. Lost in space often. Blitzing not effective. The scheme seemed confused and too passive. Re-active rather than pro-active.
But he wouldn't discount Glatt, 28, returning to the Lions.

“If things don't work out, we'd very much sit down and talk,” Buono said.
Tough year for Glatt. But he is a valuable player, if used to his abilities. He looked great when he had two All-CFL guys beside him, Otis Floyd and Carl Kidd. Who wouldn't? But without their skills, physicality and experience, some vulnerability started to show in his game. But he can play. As a fan, I would welcome him back if things don't work out elsewhere for him.
Buono said that he has had several discussions with starting safety Barron Miles about “a number of options.” Buono wouldn't respond if that meant a position on the coaching staff.

I'm glad Barron got those records. His contributions over a career deserve recognition. But it is time for him to move on to his coaching career.

Big question for me, but I think we already know the answer: will the defensive schemes be much the same? IMO they were exposed last year for their predictability, for their passiveness. The linebackers and DBs often seemed confused. The tackling of the DBs has been weak for a few years now. Breakdowns at game ends became an epidemic.

With a football team, it is always a "work in progress." There is stuff the fans like. And stuff the fans don't like. But we are all fans. We go to games. We watch on TV. We support the team. And we criticize, as is our right.
ziggy
Legend

Tighthead wrote:If there were technical flaws in Jiminzez's game, why sign him to a big contract?

Any of our O line that didn't have heads on swivels or eyes in the back of their heads missed some pretty good football. Maybe thats considered as a technical flaws?
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

ik17 wrote:I'm not concerned about the offense, I think that making Chapedalaine Co-Ordinator and Quarterbacks coach shows that they're letting Casey take the reins and improvise a bit... and they should. You can't be wildly unpredictable with your schemes otherwise you get into trouble. But if you have a QB that can improvise a bit... it's the purrfect mix.
I apologize if this ruffles any lionbacker feathers but I am concerned that there with be a power struggle between Casey’s improvising on the fly with the pocket collapsing around him, due to the Chaps boring drawn-out slow developing quarterback killers not being executed as to his liking, heralding back to the 2005 WCF and a rift ensuing early on between the two in season 2010.
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
Lionut
Hall of Famer

Telling the coaches how it ougtht to be done, and refusing the coaching you are being offered, are two sure fire ways to be in the doghouse. That is doubly true along the offensive line, where you really need guys to form a cohesive unit. It's easier for a running back or receiver to be a free spirit than it is an offensive tackle. (Joe Smith, however, will tell you that even free spirit running backs get whacked in BC.) Wally was willing to tolerate Jiminez's act for as long as he was a dominant force up front, but as soon as he became JAG (just a guy), he was instantly disposable.

Say this for Wally - he isn't one to stand pat. It is clear that he is angry about last season, and is determined to re-shape the roster. The fact that our Head Coach/GM is this active, and hasn't settled into semi-retirement on the job, is a positive sign. I have always said that Buono is one of the best judges of talent in CFL history, and he also knows how to put together a strong organization. I have questions about Wally as a game day tactician, but I have complete faith in him as a GM.
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever."
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Lionut wrote:Telling the coaches how it ougtht to be done, and refusing the coaching you are being offered, are two sure fire ways to be in the doghouse. That is doubly true along the offensive line, where you really need guys to form a cohesive unit. It's easier for a running back or receiver to be a free spirit than it is an offensive tackle. (Joe Smith, however, will tell you that even free spirit running backs get whacked in BC.) Wally was willing to tolerate Jiminez's act for as long as he was a dominant force up front, but as soon as he became JAG (just a guy), he was instantly disposable.

Say this for Wally - he isn't one to stand pat. It is clear that he is angry about last season, and is determined to re-shape the roster. The fact that our Head Coach/GM is this active, and hasn't settled into semi-retirement on the job, is a positive sign. I have always said that Buono is one of the best judges of talent in CFL history, and he also knows how to put together a strong organization. I have questions about Wally as a game day tactician, but I have complete faith in him as a GM.
Good post, Lionut.

I agree with much of it.

Wally has certainly shown excellent judgment of talent over the years, for the most part.

Game day tactician not so great: agreed.

Also, IMO his schemes are old and predictable, especially on defence.

Complete faith in him as a GM? Not quite. A bit shaky with hanging on to his draft choices last year. Possibly too loyal to his coaches over time.

But he has given us 7 years of stability and the one Grey Cup. In an 8 team league, however, one cup in 7 years is not that special.
Hawkballer 14
Champion

WestCoastJoe wrote:Possibly too loyal to his coaches over time.

But he has given us 7 years of stability and the one Grey Cup. In an 8 team league, however, one cup in 7 years is not that special.
You say that like loyalty is a bad thing. The GM spot is a tough gig, I couldn't do it. It's more than simply replacing a player/play caller/position coach, it's knowing/trying to accept that you're completely uprooting an employee and his family, causing immense emotional hardship because of a dropped pass/missed tackle/whatever which resulted in a loss during a game. Loyalty from a superior is a beautiful thing, it lets you perform your job without looking over your shoulder when faced with failure.

I'll take the 7 years and the Grey Cup, with a WB-led regime as long as he wants it. Only the one Grey Cup, eh? That's why they play the game. Being the favorite in July does not automatically award you the chalice in November.

I've been banging the "spread 'em out during short yardage" drum as loud as anybody, if only to give defenses another thing to think about during the weekly preparations. With the DL a full yard off the ball, there is no reason what-so-ever that the OL cannot get the forward surge needed to gain the first down.