Official 2008-09 Vancouver Canucks Season Thread

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

Robbie wrote:So the first pre-season game is tonight in Edmonton.

I wonder who the new Captain and two Alternate captains will be.
Well unofficially Luongo had been placed with the Captaincy of the team, although he won't be able to be one officially as goaltenders aren't allowed to wear the 'C'. Interesting move in that it would seem to me that you wouln't offer that up to a player you expect to move after this season.

So Mitchell should be the on ice Captain, and allow Luongo to step up for everything else. That leaves Matius Ohlund and Kessler as the other two alternative captains, along with Mitchell.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:So Mitchell should be the on ice Captain, and allow Luongo to step up for everything else. That leaves Matius Ohlund and Kessler as the other two alternative captains, along with Mitchell.
So will Mitchell be wearing a 'C' or an 'A' on his uniform?
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Bosco
Team Captain

No one will actually be wearing the "C" on ice as a goalie cannot wear a letter, but Luongo is the appointed captain.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Vancouver, B.C. – Vancouver Canucks General Manager Mike Gillis announced today that the Canucks have acquired defenceman Shane O’Brien and right wing Michel Ouellet in exchange for defenceman Lukas Krajicek and right wing Juraj Simek from the Tampa Bay Lightning. O’Brien will report to Vancouver and Ouellet will report to Manitoba.

O’Brien, 25, spent the 2007-08 season with the Tampa Bay Lightning, recording 21 points (4-17-21) in 77 games played. The Port Hope, Ontario-native has played in 158 NHL games, scoring six goals and 31 assists for a total of 37 points and recording 330 penalty minutes. The 6’2”, 235-pound defenceman was selected in the eighth round, 250th overall in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft by the Anaheim Ducks.

Ouellet, 26, has played in 187 career NHL games with Tampa Bay and Pittsburgh, registering 116 points (52-64-116). The 6’0”, 201-pound right wing was named to the AHL All-Rookie Team in 2004. Born in Rimouski, Quebec, Ouellet was selected by the Pittsburgh Penguins in the fourth round, 124th overall in the 2000 NHL Entry Draft.
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Canucks 5 - Flames 0 half way through the 3rd period.

It is looking like the success of the preseason was not a fluke. It might have indicated a team that can play well.

Gotta give Mike Gillis some credit. Starting with his decision to keep Alain Vigneault.

Playing hard, playing well, looking good so far ..........
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Rypien, short-handed. 6 - 0. Whoo Hoooooo
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:Canucks 5 - Flames 0 half way through the 3rd period.

It is looking like the success of the preseason was not a fluke. It might have indicated a team that can play well.

Gotta give Mike Gillis some credit. Starting with his decision to keep Alain Vigneault.

Playing hard, playing well, looking good so far ..........

It's a long, long, looonnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggg season. Don't plan the parade route yet.

It is great to get a good start but more important in hockey to get a better finish.

Remember that his decision to keep AV as coach could be a smart move for his own job later on down the road. If the season doesn't work out, AV can be fired thus ensuring the GM stays on longer as he never had his guy in there. Not saying that is how the decision went down but it has been done by many GMS. I wondered why it took him so long to decide on AV when it is clear in the media reports and from AV's own statements that not a lot of communication was going on between them leading to a bit of a surprise when he got the GMs confirmation.

I am not sure that any GM can come in and make massive changes and that is the reality of the NHL. There are no free agent camps as there are no free agents like in US college football when hundreds of good college football players go undrafted every year and they can be found paying their try out fee to the team and then landing a spot and becoming a starter very soon. Some of these free agents - Buck Pierce, R. Phillips, etc or NFL cuts like Logan turn out to be very special players. It doesn't work like that in hockey.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

You're quite right Toppy, it is a long season. However, it was a good effort last night and made the Flames look rather beatable. Whether that is because the Nucks are better that people thought they might be or the Flames are worse or simply had a bad early season game, I don't know. But full credit for a convincing win. There have been all too few of those in recent history.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Wow. 5-4 OT win for the 'Nucks! 2-0 to start the season... and even more impressive, they managed to do it coming back from being down 3-1... how often did that happen last year?
(\__/)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Great win. Down 3 - 1. Win the second period. Down 4 - 3. Win the third period. Win it in Overtime. Wow.

Back to back against the Flames. Keenan is going to go ballistic at some point. I feel sorry for Kiprusoff. He and Keenan could be a bad mix.

No matter what anyone says about it's early, etc., the Canucks are playing with speed, energy, toughness and determination. The Sedins are looking better than ever. Slick and smooth. Kesler and Burrows look awesome. Big, capable defense. El capitán (Luongo) ain't bad either.

Of course it's early, but you have to enjoy how they are playing. The preseason and first 2 league games are indicative of a competitive, fun to watch team.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Nucks 4 - Wings 3 Overtime

Goal scorers: Hansen, Kesler, Raymond, Burrows

Kesler and Burrows are playing so well. Kesler has much family in Detroit. Good for him. Must have been some mixed feelings amongst his family and friends.

Canucks win the third to tie. Win the Overtime. Nice.

Salo plays almost 28 minutes.

Edler plays over 27 minutes. He has the most power play minutes and the second most penalty kill minutes. That is a lot of confidence in him from Vignault. Amazing.

Burrows and Kesler are both +3. Edler is +2, as is Hansen.

Burrows, Kesler and linemate Hansen all score. As does Raymond.

This might be more impressive than beating Calgary twice.

It's early, I know, but it is so nice that the team is playing well. That is enough. Just that they play well and play entertaining hockey.

Don Koharski was one of the referees. The media says it was 20 years ago that Jim Schoenfeld of the Sabres told him to eat another doughnut.
Rammer
Team Captain

Canucks should win contests that they can score 4+ goals in, in fact I bet it is a league wide phenomenon. That said, with Luongo that has to be a giveme, considering the stature that he has been elevated to in the NHL goaltender category. I suspect once teams start to par down and play D, that the Canucks will begin to find it hard to score 3 goals a game and that is where the drive for the playoffs will be won and lost on. Luongo will have to steal some games this season, something that he wasn't able to do last season.

Great start, but thankfully I am not holding my breath on this, Detroit is still the team that everyone has to gun for.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Credit where credit is due. I criticized the Nucks last season for their inability to finish. So far this year, with the exception of Washington, they have played very well. I don't expect them to necessarily walk into an opponents den and take points away, just to play competitively. They have done that in spades this season so far so congrats to them.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Will anyone confess that they went next door instead and saw the Canucks put on a good show with their 6-3 win over the Oilers and hopefully change their current slump?
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Soundy
Hall of Famer

What really amazes me is their *four* power-play goals, which is twice what they have in the first seven games *combined*. And better yet, all the scoring came from the new and/or young guys - two PP goals for Mason Raymond and one each for Jason Krog and Kyle Wellwood, plus both even-strength goals by Jannick Hansen.

I was running late on the SkyTrain trying to get to the Lions game, and since I didn't have a radio, I was listening to the streaming broadcast from the TEAM on my phone (couldn't for the life of me find a "listen live" link on 1410's website, at least not on my mobile browser). As I was walking past GM place from the SkyTrain to BC Place gate C, I heard the horn going off inside the Garage, just as the play-by-play was announcing the save on Edmonton's shorthanded 2-on-1. It was nearly a full minute later that the stream caught and I heard the goal actually called.

Kinda weird... :)
(\__/)