Yahoos at BC Place Stadium

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

smphantom
Legend

More bad fan behaviour from that night. :thdn: :thdn:
Lions incensed over fans attack
Greg Douglas, Vancouver Sun
Published: Saturday, June 23, 2007
SCENE & HEARD: New B.C. Lions season ticket holders George and Mary from Aldergrove aren't sure they'll ever step foot in B.C. Place Stadium again. They were victims of an attack by a half dozen drunken thugs in an exit tunnel as they made their way to the parking lot after the Leos' exhibition game against Saskatchewan eight nights ago.

George suggested the loudmouths tone down their foul language and he paid for it with a severe beating. His wife was roughed up, too, but not to the same extent.

The Lions feel terrible about the incident. They delivered a Javy Glatt helmet signed by the entire team to Mary, who'd taken Football 101 during the off-season and had fallen in love with the game. Wally Buono signed an accompanying, apologetic letter.

Livid Lions boss Bob Ackles and vice-president George Chayka sat with B.C. Place Stadium general manager Howard Crosley and director of business development Graham Ramsay at some length on Friday.

"We are all very concerned and there will be changes in the way security will be working for the home opener [on July 6]," a concerned Crosley says. "I'm not going to share them right now publicly, but we will be doing things differently. We're addressing everything we think will help."
Stay thirsty my friends.
Rammer
Team Captain

smphantom wrote:More bad fan behaviour from that night. :thdn: :thdn:
SCENE & HEARD: New B.C. Lions season ticket holders George and Mary from Aldergrove aren't sure they'll ever step foot in B.C. Place Stadium again. They were victims of an attack by a half dozen drunken thugs in an exit tunnel as they made their way to the parking lot after the Leos' exhibition game against Saskatchewan eight nights ago.

George suggested the loudmouths tone down their foul language and he paid for it with a severe beating. His wife was roughed up, too, but not to the same extent.

The Lions feel terrible about the incident. They delivered a Javy Glatt helmet signed by the entire team to Mary, who'd taken Football 101 during the off-season and had fallen in love with the game. Wally Buono signed an accompanying, apologetic letter.

Livid Lions boss Bob Ackles and vice-president George Chayka sat with B.C. Place Stadium general manager Howard Crosley and director of business development Graham Ramsay at some length on Friday.

"We are all very concerned and there will be changes in the way security will be working for the home opener [on July 6]," a concerned Crosley says. "I'm not going to share them right now publicly, but we will be doing things differently. We're addressing everything we think will help."
Wow, just stop giving away the tickets for the pre-season game to begin with, we have heard of incidents throughout the league on these games, and it isn't from the regular crowd that goes to games. Funny thing about taking steps to deter the violence and another outlet is found by the yahoos of the world. Taking football 101 gives a good indication that this is a passionate fan and would be a tremendous loss over some cowardly drunks.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Not to justify idiots but when do people learn that lecturing drunks on what they are saying is not a wise strategy? I feel bad for the people but when the drunks are yelling and swearing, just keeping your cool seems the best approach.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Tighthead
Legend

Toppy - agreed, but easier said than done.
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

Sorry. Disagree, TV. Why should we have to listen to that garbage? They know they're being jackasses, and that they can pretty much say what they want without consequence. Should we just smile and take that when we don't want to like good little passive Canadians? I think not. I have zero patience or tolerance for bullies, and do not believe that cowards like this should be able to do whatever they want just because they have more beer than brains. I agree that they are likely not representative of the regular fanbase, and that by papering the stands with these non-fans, the Lions are doing themselves a grave disservice. What's PavCo going to do? Hire more indifferent, ignorant 'security'? I wait with bated breath to see what the Lions/BC Place/PavCo come up with to remedy this.
Real women wear orange!!
notahomer
Hall of Famer

smphantom wrote:More bad fan behaviour from that night. :thdn: :thdn:

:thup: Let's see what this means. I keep wondering why people want to spend $$$ to go drink. A BC Lions football game is a sporting event with a cross segment of society ranging from kids to seniors. Yes, football fans deserve the RIGHT to have beer(s) but they also have a RESPONSIBILITY to behave in a mature manner. I am not advocating behaviing like you would in church but come on. I have heard rehashes of this general story so many times. Family of 4 goes to game, Dad objects to drunks behaviour, Dad gets beaten up in front of wife/kids thereby souring 4 football fans on going to games. I'm glad the Lions have stepped up to help mend the fence with these football fans. I hear this kinda thing in other areas of society too. Most people CAN/DO toe the line of respect but a few YAHOOS can really mess things up for everyone. These are the same kinds of issues that have been plaquing our Fireworks competition too. Smarten up or you'll ruin it for the rest of us.
AC/DC Rocks
Champion

Yeah you have to be very carefull if you say something to young drunk punks like these.
Look at all the stabbings and shootings in the news
These cowardly punks are just waiting and looking for trouble.
Don't confront these people, use that fool line and hopefully :cr: our security will get there and do something.
All the best to you George and Mary.
Bighill is Badass
pinkfreud

That's horrible. What an unfortunate turn of events. I wish them a speedy recovery. I agree with Toppy, better to just get away from obnoxious drunks like that than to challenge them. Nice that the Lions responded as they did. By exit tunnel, do they mean the walkways up from the concourse to the main floor? I've rarely seen security there after games and I think they'd do well to have some positioned there, even if they move some of the existing staff from the seating area rather than adding new bodies.
lion24
Legend

CatsEyes wrote:Sorry. Disagree, TV. Why should we have to listen to that garbage? They know they're being jackasses, and that they can pretty much say what they want without consequence. Should we just smile and take that when we don't want to like good little passive Canadians? I think not. I have zero patience or tolerance for bullies, and do not believe that cowards like this should be able to do whatever they want just because they have more beer than brains. I agree that they are likely not representative of the regular fanbase, and that by papering the stands with these non-fans, the Lions are doing themselves a grave disservice. What's PavCo going to do? Hire more indifferent, ignorant 'security'? I wait with bated breath to see what the Lions/BC Place/PavCo come up with to remedy this.
:wss: I agree and this type of crap goes on all the time here as well. Listen, i expect to take some ribbing going to Commonwealth in orange and black and actually have never had any physical altercations(a few verbal but nothing too out of hand :lol: ) The funny thing is it seems to be eskimo fan on eskimo fan violence. I get pissed off when the lions don't do well but i don't stand up and start swearing at people and making an idiot of myself and there is no reason why all of the true football fans need to put up with that crap.
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
pinkfreud

lion24 wrote:
CatsEyes wrote:Sorry. Disagree, TV. Why should we have to listen to that garbage? They know they're being jackasses, and that they can pretty much say what they want without consequence. Should we just smile and take that when we don't want to like good little passive Canadians? I think not. I have zero patience or tolerance for bullies, and do not believe that cowards like this should be able to do whatever they want just because they have more beer than brains. I agree that they are likely not representative of the regular fanbase, and that by papering the stands with these non-fans, the Lions are doing themselves a grave disservice. What's PavCo going to do? Hire more indifferent, ignorant 'security'? I wait with bated breath to see what the Lions/BC Place/PavCo come up with to remedy this.
:wss: I agree and this type of crap goes on all the time here as well. Listen, i expect to take some ribbing going to Commonwealth in orange and black and actually have never had any physical altercations(a few verbal but nothing too out of hand :lol: ) The funny thing is it seems to be eskimo fan on eskimo fan violence. I get pissed off when the lions don't do well but i don't stand up and start swearing at people and making an idiot of myself and there is no reason why all of the true football fans need to put up with that crap.
True, but I think at some point you have to make a choice between holding to your principles and preserving your safety. You could take action by using the Be a Fan not a Fool service. If that proves ineffective, jot down the details and complain to someone higher up, emphasizing that you felt unsafe and that the response was inadequate. CC Bobby on it while you're at it.
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

pinkfreud wrote: By exit tunnel, do they mean the walkways up from the concourse to the main floor? I've rarely seen security there after games and I think they'd do well to have some positioned there, even if they move some of the existing staff from the seating area rather than adding new bodies.
I think so, Susan, and that area is where I have seen a lot of the back and forth jabber and trash talk. I agree that they should re-position some 'security' there as well, just to keep the traffic flowing, or at the very least to provide a presence. I heard a suggestion on the Team the other day that sounded interesting in a 'likely not to happen' sort of way. A caller suggested that the Lions or BC Place hire some rugby boys for the night, strategically placed, as a deterrent. It was a thought! :wink:
Real women wear orange!!
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Good point, pf, but then the offenders never get taken to task.

I'm with Rammer on this; just don't paper the joint with free tickets for people who have no interest in the game. I'd rather see 5,000 less butts in seats at a preseason game than an increased level of violence in the building.

As for PavCo, well, they have a tough job; what is a 34 year old 140 lb woman going to do when she sees 5 drunks assaulting a father in front of his family? The smart answer from her point of view is....nothing.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The premise in the question is probably what got that couple roughed up and it sounds like they were in a spot leaving where the visible security is not present. The answer is you shouldn't have to listen to that.

The better question you have to ask yourself as you are exiting and some clowns are swearing is this: What are the risks to the safety of myself and others including my family and friends right now if I give these drunks a lecture on bad behaviour/swearing?

The answer to that might go like this:
> if I tell them to shut up, this might provoke a confrontation and even more swearing.
> this might escalate the situation and endanger not only myself but other innocent people who can't get away from this. Why to protect me from hearing foul language would I want to escalate something and bring more people into the fracas and some might get hurt?

And we all know today that people out there will stab others for seemingly little or no reason. We live in changed times. Call the police/speak to an usher and let them handle it.

Last year my pal and I went to Calgary for the day to see the Lions play. We were standing at one of the exits on a very packed train back downtown when some guys near the exit door opposite - about 4 or 5 crammed bodies from us) started swearing loudly. This of course was highly offensive to some older guy and now a pushing match is starting to break out when cooler heads prevailed and another non-involved voice from somewhere in the car popped up to say 'hey, we are all just having a good time, let's enjoy our win and not start fighting each other - we're not the enemy here'. This caused a laugh and they started screaming for the Stamps leaving my pal and I laughing that if they only knew we were from the enemy.

My point is that in today's world being offended by bad words is getting more people killed than it is worth. Let the authorities handle it. It is not about being cowardly Canadians. It is about being smart and not being selfish. As a young guy, we had a rule. When we go out, don't be starting fights that force the rest of us to enter your battles. When guys did that in bars, we simply avoided them the next time.

That game was a pre-season game and it appeared to me that security was in pre-season mode too.

I don't condone drunken behaviour but I also don't agree with picking fights with drunks who are looking for that very reaction.
Last edited by Toppy Vann on Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
AC/DC Rocks
Champion

and that's the frustrating thing, that the offenders aren't taken to task.

That's a good idea Kim, rugby players!

Or my favorite, Dirty Harry

:rockin: :wink:
Bighill is Badass
pinkfreud

I like the rugby player idea, or at least men that look like rugby players. This is part of the problem, we've got security guards that have as much a deterring presence as Preston Manning. Hire some mean looking dudes and then maybe Joe Goofball will think twice before being obnoxious. For the most part, I can't see how the security guards we have stationed in the stands are much different from the ushers at the Orpheum.

I seem to recall way more yahooism during the 80's - walking up Robson and drunks were rocking cars backing forth and what not. What did they do for security back then? Or do people just go further now in terms of being violent?