2016 All Things Lions Marketing & Promotions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

almo89
Legend

Alputt wrote:I see the promotion for this Friday's game is now Pokemon... People have been saying the Lions should do some more marketing for kids, well I hope this brings a few families to the game.

If they were really smart there would have been a kids discount again as well, however $3 from every ticket going to Children's Hospital is pretty cool.
I saw that too. I think it would be a purrfect time to bring back the $5 tickets for kids. I don't think there has been enough hype generated by the club promoting this week's first place battle though.
squishy35
Legend

almo89 wrote:
Alputt wrote:I see the promotion for this Friday's game is now Pokemon... People have been saying the Lions should do some more marketing for kids, well I hope this brings a few families to the game.

If they were really smart there would have been a kids discount again as well, however $3 from every ticket going to Children's Hospital is pretty cool.
I saw that too. I think it would be a purrfect time to bring back the $5 tickets for kids. I don't think there has been enough hype generated by the club promoting this week's first place battle though.

If a price drop that was significant, yet useful to the club, would put more butts in the seats, then why not do it? It would make sense to have a few thousand more people to recoup any loss and to get people to come to the stadium to watch what has been a terrific Lions team this year.
CardiacKid
Legend

Maybe not the best thread to be posting this question but I didn't think it warranted a new thread..... What is the policy regarding signage at games? I am obviously assuming that nothing that contains foul language or is otherwise inappropriate is allowed but are signs with gentle words of support now verboten? For the life of me I can't remember seeing any of late; nothing like Geroy's corner or Parks Department...that kinda stuff.

I briefly checked the Lions site to no avail.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

CardiacKid wrote:Maybe not the best thread to be posting this question but I didn't think it warranted a new thread..... What is the policy regarding signage at games? I am obviously assuming that nothing that contains foul language or is otherwise inappropriate is allowed but are signs with gentle words of support now verboten? For the life of me I can't remember seeing any of late; nothing like Geroy's corner or Parks Department...that kinda stuff.

I briefly checked the Lions site to no avail.
The Lions don't like people hanging signs on the railings where their orange logos now appear, which rules out all of the end zone, but the ST holder in front of me put up a stink recently and was eventually allowed to keep his sign. Of course, you also can't cover up sponsors' signage. As far as I know, there's no problem with holding up a sign in the crowd as long as you don't bother the people around you and your message is not deemed to be offensive.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

A creative marketing team would have an advertiser's ad with a spot to hang a sign as part of it and then when the TSN camera zooms in on the sign --instant TV exposure for the advertiser.
footballtom
Rookie

Looks like another small crowed for tonight.
J5V
Rookie

People will say because it's on a hot night in the summer... blah, blah, blah. BC Place is a modern retractable roof stadium on par with many NFL stadiums. The problem is ticket pricing and configuration (by going to lower bowl only so many of the seats are in the end zone.) The pricing of tickets has been so out of whack since the team came back into BC Place that a lot of people just stopped caring (regardless if the team is playing well now.)
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

J5V wrote:People will say because it's on a hot night in the summer... blah, blah, blah. BC Place is a modern retractable roof stadium on par with many NFL stadiums.
The stadium was hot last week before kickoff but quite comfortable afterwards. The open roof makes a big difference.
footballtom
Rookie

B.C.FAN wrote:
J5V wrote:People will say because it's on a hot night in the summer... blah, blah, blah. BC Place is a modern retractable roof stadium on par with many NFL stadiums.
The stadium was hot last week before kickoff but quite comfortable afterwards. The open roof makes a big difference.

Can you imagine if there was no retractable roof. I am dating myself here but I do remember back in 1983 very hot summer night ( like tonight) in august 56,000 for a regular season game against Winnipeg.

also there were lots of 30,000 + crowds on hot summer nights from 2005-2009
almo89
Legend

J5V wrote:People will say because it's on a hot night in the summer... blah, blah, blah. BC Place is a modern retractable roof stadium on par with many NFL stadiums. The problem is ticket pricing and configuration (by going to lower bowl only so many of the seats are in the end zone.) The pricing of tickets has been so out of whack since the team came back into BC Place that a lot of people just stopped caring (regardless if the team is playing well now.)
Exactly. I've been to so many games in the summer back in the old dome. It was hot and humid and my shorts would be drenched by the end of the game, but still had a great time because the team was good and the prices were affordable for us regular folks. We got over 30+ quite regularly in that old dome.
footballtom
Rookie

almo89 wrote:
J5V wrote:People will say because it's on a hot night in the summer... blah, blah, blah. BC Place is a modern retractable roof stadium on par with many NFL stadiums. The problem is ticket pricing and configuration (by going to lower bowl only so many of the seats are in the end zone.) The pricing of tickets has been so out of whack since the team came back into BC Place that a lot of people just stopped caring (regardless if the team is playing well now.)
Exactly. I've been to so many games in the summer back in the old dome. It was hot and humid and my shorts would be drenched by the end of the game, but still had a great time because the team was good and the prices were affordable for us regular folks. We got over 30+ quite regularly in that old dome.

Yes we did nothing under 30,000 from 2006-2008
David
Team Captain

footballtom wrote:Looks like another small crowed for tonight.
Really? I find that a bit surprising given the buzz around town for this one. Anecdotally, I know of 6 tickets sold to friends that don't normally go.

The only thing this has potentially working against it is the very warm weather (which increases leisure time options) and the fact that they just played a home game on Saturday (6 days ago). Bottom line, there really shouldn't be excuses for a game that promises to be a 'must see' event.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
footballtom
Rookie

David wrote:
Really? I find that a bit surprising given the buzz around town for this one. Anecdotally, I know of 6 tickets sold to friends that don't normally go.

The only thing this has potentially working against it is the very warm weather (which increases leisure time options) and the fact that they just played a home game on Saturday (6 days ago). Bottom line, there really shouldn't be excuses for a game that promises to be a 'must see' event.

Just looking at ticketmaster.ca judging from that
almo89
Legend

David wrote:

I feel the buzz has come from 1040 and the fans, but I haven't really seen much from the club promoting this game. This is one of the bigger summer games in recent history, they should be all over it. I'm still not a big fan of their whole "a winning team will sell itself" attitude. Just screams laziness. You never see the Canucks stop promoting even when they were one of the best teams in the league a few years ago.
footballtom
Rookie

almo89 wrote:
David wrote:

I feel the buzz has come from 1040 and the fans, but I haven't really seen much from the club promoting this game. This is one of the bigger summer games in recent history, they should be all over it. I'm still not a big fan of their whole "a winning team will sell itself" attitude. Just screams laziness. You never see the Canucks stop promoting even when they were one of the best teams in the league a few years ago.

I agree when ackles was in charge he promoted like crazy even when they were getting 35,000 for a game . I do not understand it.