Official NFL Thread - 2012-2013 Season

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

1greatmysticbushape
Champion

hallelujah
LizzieCann92
prospect

I'm an expert on the topic and I couldn't have written it better myself
notahomer
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:Wow. Just saw a great finish. Saints take the lead with less than a minute to go. But Alex Smith brings the 49ers back for the second time in the last 2 minutes. Amazing finish.

Happy for Alex Smith. Top draft pick. Many bad years. Lots of criticism. Got some success now. And he's enjoying it ...
Really enjoyed watching the ending of this game. Back and forth ending. Smith takes his team on his back, goes for a nice run into the endzone but its not enough as the Saints answer back, before 49ners finally leave the Saints with no time left. I truly believe had the 49ners left the Saints with more time (45 seconds) they would have answered back again. These offences really tore the D's to shreds in the last 4 minutes.

Also, based on this game, IMO, I don't see teams going into New Orleans in the playoffs and winning. Had this game been at the Saints place, different ending for sure. I mean this game was close but BC Fans favourite CFL stat (turnovers) is what bit the Saints, IMO. Looking forward to the 49ners next game but not so sure they can count on the turnovers next time. Their Defence/Specials is certainly trained to cause them, we'll see if it happens again, next week.....
274always
All Star

wooooot!!! Hail Mary TD! Go Giants!
Grey Cup 103. Graduation day.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

274always wrote:wooooot!!! Hail Mary TD! Go Giants!
Yes it was fun to watch, IMO. I tihink it makes up for the turnover that ended up being ruled not.
274always
All Star

Thank you Giants. No more Mr. Rodgers. :yahoo:
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Lots of similarities between the 2011 BC Lions and NY Giants. Obviously the Giants didn't start off their year with 5 straight losses but work with me here. Both teams really waited as long as they could before turning on the jets (no pun intended). The Giants (like the Lions) have been playing playoff football for quite a while now. They couldn't afford to lose any games down the stretch and wouldn't have made the playoffs EXCEPT they won the NFC East (no small feat).

It wasn't UNBELIEVABLE that the Giants would beat the 15-1 Packers but I couldn't say I was betting on it either. I certainly liked the Giants chances better than the 49ners (who would have had to come to Green Bay had the Packers won). I think this NFC Championship Game will be a good one to watch. So far 25% of the games (IOW, 2 out of 8) have been great endings whilst the other games were not so close. The Ravens knocking off the Texans was the next closest game and I decided to get caught up on some housepainting because I thought that game was over early. Thankfully the Texans did make it respectful.

Back to the BC Lions and Giants. Will not be surprised if the Giants are able to do as BC did. Be the team that was written off even by their own fans (in the Lions case I'll admit I wrote them off :crow: ) but then finds a way to make it to the championship game. Would be really neat to see a Manning win the Superbowl in Lucasoil Stadium but it won't be Peyton. It is a pretty stable NFL playoffs so far. It would have been #1 versus #2 in both conferences had the Packers not Sainted away a great regular season with a bunch of turnovers. I'll be happy with any combo of the four remaining teams in the Superbowl. Right now, I'm betting it will the the Brother Bowl- with the Ravens and 49ners meeting in the big game. Then again, who knows with the Giants and Brady's still be best QB left......
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Green Bay didn't do themselves any favours by dropping passes and turning the ball over.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

49ers win a shootout over the Saints. Seemed like one of those games where the team that has the ball last wins. Very exciting finish. Alex Smith looks like he was channeling Joe Montana or Steve Young or both. Drew Brees throws for 462 yards, and that was not enough. LOL The Niners look pretty tough.

Speaking of tough, the Giants knocked off the Packers at Lambeau Field. Eli Manning threw for 330 yards. Not bad. Nine dropped passes by the Packers helped. Sets up a very tough NFL Final with the 49ers. The Giants play very tough football, but it seems the Niners do also.

The Patriots brought the Broncos back to Earth. Brady threw for 363 yards and 6 TDs. Yikes. Rob Gronkowski looks like a brilliant draft pick now, a second rounder, and it looks like he will be having the rest of the league looking for guys who are 6 foot 6, 265 pounds, with the ability to run and catch like a wide receiver.

The Ravens defence is right up there with the Giants and Steelers for overall toughness. Rice provides a physical ground game. Flacco does enough at QB to allow the team to win.

Four teams left. I would have to think the Patriots have too many weapons for the Ravens to counter. The Giants and the 49ers? Dunno, a tossup methinks.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

In case you missed it or want to see it again..... The Saints/49ers game is being replayed this evening on NFL network @ 5 PM. The last 4 minutes of this game were almost CFL-ish. Major points, back/forth offences moving the field in big chunks and last team holding the ball wins.....
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:In case you missed it or want to see it again..... The Saints/49ers game is being replayed this evening on NFL network @ 5 PM. The last 4 minutes of this game were almost CFL-ish. Major points, back/forth offences moving the field in big chunks and last team holding the ball wins.....
ALMOST cflish?? It was exactly cflish, even more than a lot of cfl games.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
notahomer
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
notahomer wrote:In case you missed it or want to see it again..... The Saints/49ers game is being replayed this evening on NFL network @ 5 PM. The last 4 minutes of this game were almost CFL-ish. Major points, back/forth offences moving the field in big chunks and last team holding the ball wins.....
ALMOST cflish?? It was exactly cflish, even more than a lot of cfl games.
I'd get heck if I gave the game too much credit. I agree it was an awesome CFLish game but some Lionbackers who casually watch NFL frequently get some flack for even admitting they watch the NFL (as though I am a traitor to the CFL). I personally like how the NFL has moved to more of a passing league. I rewatched a replay of the game that involved 'the catch' Montana to Clark and it was a snorefest, IMO, compared to the recent Saints/49ers matchup. Still can't believe the Saints were 'in' this game considering they gave up 5 turnovers. I also like seeing guys who got started here who've gone on to be successful in the NFL too!

Also, something I haven't seen much of in either league, the quick kick, made a brief appearance. Tom Brady booted it on 3rd down. IIRC, the quick kick was something that happened a bit more often in the CFL game anyways back in the early 80's.
274always
All Star

Go Giants. Make it a close one at least. :pray:

Go Pats. I'm meeting Doug and Alexa at the Flutie bowl monday night and would like to see them smiling. :roar:
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Vegas has the 49ers favoured, and the Patriots.

I would have to go with the favoured teams, although the Giants are the ones that can upset just about anybody (Green Bay, for example).

Nice to see Ricky Williams has found a home with the Ravens. :thup:
274always
All Star

Joe Paterno apparently near death. Lung cancer taking a turn for the worst. Mixed blessing?