Official NFL Thread - 2012-2013 Season

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

notahomer
Hall of Famer

Well, IMO, WILDCARD Weekend did NOT live upto its usual standards. This is the week where games usually are of the closer variety. Not too surprising considering 10-6 teams have to go play 9-7 division champs at home. Nothing will ever top the 7-9 NFC West Champs Seahawks knocking off the Saints last season.

Next week, reality usually sets in after Wildcard Weekend. After this weekends slate of games, perhaps the Divisional round will be the better of the opening two rounds. The Steeler/Broncos game was the closest of the Wildcard games. Thought the Steelers were going to find a way to win but thankfully the Terrible Towels are 'retired' until September.

Ravens, Patriots, Packers, Saints

On paper, IMO, the Saints game will be the best. I thought that this week too but BigBensBoys stumbled against the Broncos. There is no way a Manning is playing in this years Superbowl. Peytons obviously out but I doubt Eli can get it done either. Is HOSTING the Superbowl becoming a madden-like curse (Dallas missed the playoffs as host, Colts did the same this year)? Nah, but weird nonetheless......
274always
All Star

Dunno if the Giants can pull off another Lambeau field miracle as in 2008. But if it worked for Tim Tebow I'll be praying Every night this week. :wink:
Grey Cup 103. Graduation day.
jandrew
prospect

my fav team is the cowboys, always been, always will.
274always
All Star

Good luck against the Pats Tim. This one's for you. :cool:

and this:

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Tebow in tough against the Patriots. Could be a blowout. But ya never know ... LOL

I like the Packers and the Giants. The Packers of course would seem to be better offensively. The Giants have had tough defence for years. No real preference, perhaps slightly favouring the Pack.

Saints over 49ers? Maybe.

Texans and Ravens. Ughhhh ... Don't care.
274always
All Star

WestCoastJoe wrote:Tebow in tough against the Patriots. Could be a blowout. But ya never know ... LOL

I like the Packers and the Giants. The Packers of course would seem to be better offensively. The Giants have had tough defence for years. No real preference, perhaps slightly favouring the Pack.

Saints over 49ers? Maybe.

Texans and Ravens. Ughhhh ... Don't care.
Most people don't. Except for Stacy Keibler rrrrr.... :cool:
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I still think the most silly rules for OT in football is the NFL even with this new rule in place for 2011 playoffs where you win the coin toss and win without the other team taking the field if you score a TD without your opponent given a shot at a tie or bettering you.

Bush league OT rules in the NFL. What other way can you describe if you lost to Denver in an OT playoff game where your offense didn't get a chance to take the field unless Denver didn't score or managed only a FG. If this was the CFL rule and a team lost in OT people would ridicule the CFL for something this stupid.

New NFL Overtime Rule Fails to Solve Problem it was Created

http://www.chicagonow.com/ex-posts-fact ... rulesfail/

After much discussion, the NFL Competition Committee proposed Rule 16, the Modified Sudden Death Overtime Rule, before the 2010-2011 football season designed only for the postseason. With Articles 4(a) & 4(b), Team A (the team winning the overtime coin toss) could kick a field goal but would have to kick off to Team B (team losing the coin toss) for Team B's opportunity to tie the game with a field goal of its own or win with a touchdown.

The biggest caveat where owners were not willing to go all the way on was on touchdown scores. If a team wins the coin toss and scores a touchdown on its first possession, the game is over. Owners believed this scenario to be remote. Unfortunately, it was the exact reason for the NFL Competition Committee's decision to change overtime rules in the first place and the exact scenario of the Chargers v. Colts game.
Tebow win was fine but to me any OT win like that in the NFL is so tainted it is laughable. All likely about TV and getting the next game in. They'd be better off moving to the CFL rules to keep the game moving along during regular time which would take out the power of all that in game technology and provide a proper OT.

I loved the CFL old OT with the two 5 min. OT halves but that is a problem in back to back games for TV and fans - but to me that was exciting as you saw a lot more kick offs and kick returns.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Wow. Just saw a great finish. Saints take the lead with less than a minute to go. But Alex Smith brings the 49ers back for the second time in the last 2 minutes. Amazing finish.

Happy for Alex Smith. Top draft pick. Many bad years. Lots of criticism. Got some success now. And he's enjoying it ...
1greatmysticbushape
Champion

good bye Tebow - thank you god.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

1greatmysticbushape wrote:good bye Tebow - thank you god.
LOL

Watch out for lightning bolts.

Belichick and Brady had the Patriots ready. A blowout. I see Belichick is ahead of the league in using tight ends. Gronkowski is a monster. 6 foot 6, 265 pounds. Ouch. And he can run, run patterns, and catch.
1greatmysticbushape
Champion

it's a better world we're going to
274always
All Star

WestCoastJoe wrote:
LOL

Watch out for lightning bolts.

Belichick and Brady had the Patriots ready. A blowout. I see Belichick is ahead of the league in using tight ends. Gronkowski is a monster. 6 foot 6, 265 pounds. Ouch. And he can run, run patterns, and catch.

He'll be reading 'Apocalypse' til next season.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Tebow's prayers went unanswered.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:I still think the most silly rules for OT in football is the NFL even with this new rule in place for 2011 playoffs where you win the coin toss and win without the other team taking the field if you score a TD without your opponent given a shot at a tie or bettering you.

Bush league OT rules in the NFL. What other way can you describe if you lost to Denver in an OT playoff game where your offense didn't get a chance to take the field unless Denver didn't score or managed only a FG. If this was the CFL rule and a team lost in OT people would ridicule the CFL for something this stupid.
X2. I like the CFL version of overtime. The only change I would make is to have the teams scrimmage on the 55 yard line.
274always
All Star

TheLionKing wrote:
Tebow's prayers went unanswered.
He forgot that God is a Tom Brady fan. Jesus never had a chance. Not 2000 years ago and not now either. :wink:

Go Giants and Ravens!