2016 All Things Lions Marketing & Promotions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Okay, if I had to choose between "ad" and "no ad," I'll take an ad for this Saturday's game. But I really think the Lions blew a golden opportunity by not hyping Jon Jennings, instead featuring Adam Bighill. No disrespect to Biggie - I love his game and I "get" that it's Bighill Bobblehead Night, but the Lions are returning after 37 days on the road and Jennings has been on fire during that time, averaging 378 passing yards over his past 3 starts! He's the new (and marketable) face of the franchise, and the club's future. Why wouldn't they feature him on one side and Zach Collaros on the other? Hell, I'd even go Rainey and Speedy B, then to make the ad really stand out I'd put a "burned rubber" tire track run horizontally across the ad. Offense sells tickets!

On a positive note, kudos must be sent to TSN1040 for their excellent coverage of the Lions lately. Sure, we've all griped about the 'wall-to-wall' Canucks coverage but for the past 2 road games, they've sent their afternoon drive time crew (BMac, Donnie, and Moj) to broadcast live in Calgary and Montreal. Lots of in-depth player interviews, opinions, laughs, and hype for the football club. It's been very impressive indeed. :thup:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
BC 1988
Legend

Agree that 1040 has been good with the Lions coverage which (as usual) will be curtailed severely once Canucks training camp opens. It's probably a result of how little Canucks news there is--when the best they can come up with is spitballing about Hudler or Vrbata you have a problem :wink:
In fairness to the Lions PR, the ad was likely put together before it was announced that Collaros would dress for the game.

Another thing I noticed (with all the coverage of the Lions being stranded in MTL last week), was that Operation Orange had "the largest attendance yet". Compared to other years, there has been almost no promotion of the trips to the general public--I have no idea when the next trips will take place this season, and didn't hear about this until after the fact. I get all the emails, and look at the site regularly, and there was no mention that it was even happening this season. Is it something that only Season Ticket holders are being informed of?
CardiacKid
Legend

BC 1988 wrote:Agree that 1040 has been good with the Lions coverage which (as usual) will be curtailed severely once Canucks training camp opens. It's probably a result of how little Canucks news there is--when the best they can come up with is spitballing about Hudler or Vrbata you have a problem :wink:
In fairness to the Lions PR, the ad was likely put together before it was announced that Collaros would dress for the game.

Another thing I noticed (with all the coverage of the Lions being stranded in MTL last week), was that Operation Orange had "the largest attendance yet". Compared to other years, there has been almost no promotion of the trips to the general public--I have no idea when the next trips will take place this season, and didn't hear about this until after the fact. I get all the emails, and look at the site regularly, and there was no mention that it was even happening this season. Is it something that only Season Ticket holders are being informed of?
We are season ticket holders and my wife recalls seeing an email mentioning it. A single, solitary email. I definitely remember thinking "wow, someone dropped the ball on getting the word out". But obviously not if the trip to Montreal was the best attended. I believe it will be the only trip this year so that likely helped the numbers.

I recall seeing a tweet from someone going on the trip who was showing off the customized Lions suitcase they received as part of the package. It looked really sweet.
almo89
Legend

Did they lower the prices for endzone seats for this Saturday's game? Ticketmaster shows them for 37 dollars and upper endzones are 29, but the Lions website states otherwise. Glitch?
Qman
Champion

almo89 wrote:Did they lower the prices for endzone seats for this Saturday's game? Ticketmaster shows them for 37 dollars and upper endzones are 29, but the Lions website states otherwise. Glitch?
that includes all the ticketmaster fees:

on a season tix basis:
upper endzone (last 10 rows) was 250 (25/game all in)
lower endzone was 320 (32/game all in)
BC 1988
Legend

BC 1988 wrote:Saturday's game will be Bighill bobblehead night (for the first 5000 fans).

The Lions are rolling out the info slowly --I couldn't find this anywhere online yet, but it will be Team 100 part 1 of 2 (according to the ad at the top of today's Metro front page). They haven't revealed when the followup #56 bobblehead night will take place--maybe it will be the next game sponsored by Telus (vs MTL on Sept 9th).
The latest version of the print ad for tomorrow's game now says "Part 2--Solly Bobblehead" will be on the Oct 22nd EDM game.
I'm hoping to get there tomorrow early enough for #44--it will be neat to have something that shows the new home uni. There's no pic yet of #56--I wonder if he will be wearing the home colours as well?
David
Team Captain

BC 1988 wrote:There's no pic yet of #56--I wonder if he will be wearing the home colours as well?
There's a video on their site. I can confirm that Solly's will be in home orange too.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
SammyGreene
Team Captain

David wrote:Okay, if I had to choose between "ad" and "no ad," I'll take an ad for this Saturday's game. But I really think the Lions blew a golden opportunity by not hyping Jon Jennings, instead featuring Adam Bighill. No disrespect to Biggie - I love his game and I "get" that it's Bighill Bobblehead Night, but the Lions are returning after 37 days on the road and Jennings has been on fire during that time, averaging 378 passing yards over his past 3 starts! He's the new (and marketable) face of the franchise, and the club's future. Why wouldn't they feature him on one side and Zach Collaros on the other? Hell, I'd even go Rainey and Speedy B, then to make the ad really stand out I'd put a "burned rubber" tire track run horizontally across the ad. Offense sells tickets!

Completely agree David. Bighill and Solly are great guys who have been the faces of the franchise last couple of years but you better start hyping the heck out of your star QB and the rest of the offensive weapons and pronto. The odd thing too is both are having somewhat quiet seasons by their standards.
J5V
Rookie

Looks like another small crowd tonight. Too bad as the team is playing so well. I really hope that the BC lions don't have to go through much more of a prolonged downward spiral spin like the Toronto Argos have.
footballtom
Rookie

J5V wrote:Looks like another small crowd tonight. Too bad as the team is playing so well. I really hope that the BC lions don't have to go through much more of a prolonged downward spiral spin like the Toronto Argos have.

Even though there is a hole in the roof it still seems like a dome to me if you play that game tonight at empire field sold out .
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:But I really think the Lions blew a golden opportunity by not hyping Jon Jennings, instead featuring Adam Bighill. No disrespect to Biggie - I love his game and I "get" that it's Bighill Bobblehead Night, but the Lions are returning after 37 days on the road and Jennings has been on fire
In fairness when it comes to bobbleheads you can't just place an order for 5000 and have them shipped immediately. Much work has to be done before placing the order. I had a brief introduction to that when I ordered a custom one of my nephew. I submitted some pictures to kick it off. From there it was a back and forth of them sending me pics of clay proofs, painted proofs etc right down to skin tone colours. I had to sign off on each one before they started the next phase. In my case I didn't have artwork on packaging to deal with. My guess is the decision to honour Biggie and SolE with Bobblehead nights was done several months ago with final proofs authorized and orders placed likely before training camp opened
almo89
Legend

footballtom wrote:
J5V wrote:Looks like another small crowd tonight. Too bad as the team is playing so well. I really hope that the BC lions don't have to go through much more of a prolonged downward spiral spin like the Toronto Argos have.

Even though there is a hole in the roof it still seems like a dome to me if you play that game tonight at empire field sold out .
I think their attendance woes the past few years has nothing to do with the stadium. They use to pack 30+ in there when it was the old hot and humid dome.
Qman
Champion

footballtom wrote:

attendance at empire was sh*t. They just announced big attendance #s.
its a lot higher now. Empire was so hard to get to.
Qman
Champion

we always draw crap is the summertime ... that why the team skipped a home date so they get another date in the fall.
this is no where near how bad attendance has been, they are just more truthful about the numbers.
Alputt
Champion

Line ups to get in for the bobble head seemed pretty intense... long enough that we skipped it. Seems like a good crowd outside at Terry Fox Plaza anyways...