Who will be moving on?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

It's not about moving on but it's reported on 3 Down Nation that Jevon Cottoy worked worked out for the Denver Broncos.

Not sure why Cottoy hasn't been a bigger factor in the Lions offense but then again BC rarely uses David Mackie for more than blocking.
Unlike the Bombers who use a wide arsenal of those who can carry the ball or get on the end of passes out of the backfield, BC Lions aren't that innovative.

They'd be foolish to let Burnham get away and I doubt he'd just move on for money unless he felt lowballed. Yes, BC has tons of good potential receivers I can't see BC letting Burnham go. They did let Geroy exit as they did Clermont but the latter was more likely due to avoiding that off-season bonus more than not wanting the guy or next year's money.

https://3downnation.com/2022/11/22/b-c- ... r-broncos/
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:40 am
Of BC's vets I'd place the following in the category of most likely to not be wearing orange in 2023:
Joel Figueroa - it was terrific that he made it through the season almost unscathed but it's time to get younger at LT.
Bryan Burnham - consumate pro on and off the field but with the wealth of receiving riches already under contract it will be difficult to find the money to keep him.
Garry Peters/TJ Lee - with signings of the likes of Mauger and Cooper it's time to get a bit younger somewhere in the secondary. Lee is the one I'd most want kept. TJ is a true leader in the locker room and one the field.
Bo Lokombo - hard to guess. If he wants to start real bad he likely has to move on.

Others:
David Menard - is at his best in a rotational role as he again proved in 2022. He still has another year left in the tank.
Obum Gwachum - might lose out on numbers game if both Baron and Richardson return. BC looks to be good in the middle with Woody, Stove, Cherry and DeBaillie. On the outside they have Betts, Tuehema, possibly Menard and need to start making room for Archibald and Pickett if they've earned it in camp and practice.
David Knevel - hard to guess. At 6'8 325 he's been a most intriguing prospect since the day he was drafted back in 2013. He was about to get his shot starting at LG until he was felled by the labrum injury that would end his season before it began. Does he still want to give it a shot?
David Mackie - oozes leadership and has been a pillar in BC's efforts out in the community. I think he'll re-sign.
Good breakdown Hambone. I would also throw Josh Banks into the same status as Gwacham. Especially if Stove Richardson is healthy and ready in 2023, along with the continued progress of our nationals. Nathan Cherry was on the field a lot in the 2nd half of the season which also allowed them to use Josh Woods in plenty of packages too at the expense of Lokombo.
I do wonder what the extent of Richardson's set back was? Hopefully not a complete rupture again.

I do wonder about James Butler too with the re-signing of Bruce Anderson. Yes, could be nothing more than a depth move and Butler had a terrific season. But how much more are they willing to pay him with a lot of salary cap locked into other offensive skilled positions and perhaps Burnham to re-sign too? KaDeem Carey made $132,000 last year and Butler's numbers were basically the same on an entry type deal.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have signed a pair of 2022 draft picks, LB Ryder Varga and DL Adam Wallace, and re-signed three national backups: LB Jacob Firlotte, OL Tyler Packer and DL Riley Pickett. Varga is a strong bet to make the regular roster out of training camp.

https://www.bclions.com/2022/11/28/lion ... aft-picks/
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have locked up a key member of their defensive line by extending David Menard, who led the team and ranked fourth in the league this year with 9 sacks as a rotational DE and DT.
https://www.bclions.com/2022/12/09/davi ... and-black/
SammyGreene
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:53 pm
The Lions have locked up a key member of their defensive line by extending David Menard, who led the team and ranked fourth in the league this year with 9 sacks as a rotational DE and DT.
https://www.bclions.com/2022/12/09/davi ... and-black/
A couple of excellent signings out of the gate with Sean Whyte a day earlier. He was outstanding last year and I know he wanted to come home for his firefighter career in White Rock but getting the 37-year-old back under contract is key given a team like Winnipeg would love to have him. A 2-year extension too.

Menard solidifies an excellent national rotation on the d-line with Betts and 1st round 2022 draft pick Nathan Cherry who saw an increased role as the season unfolded. National DE Josh Archibald also was on the game day roster. It will be interesting to see what they do with their Americans given the unknown status of Stove Richardson after his injury setback in October. Global Debaillie and Americans Tuehema and Baron are other regulars under contract with Gwacham and Banks pending FAs.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Andrew Peirson is staying. CFL.ca FA Tracker lists him as being extended today. I will admit that when he picked up a couple of starts at guard this year he exceeded my expectations. He also apparently is one of the Lions' most active guys in regards to community involvement.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:13 pm
Andrew Peirson is staying. CFL.ca FA Tracker lists him as being extended today. I will admit that when he picked up a couple of starts at guard this year he exceeded my expectations. He also apparently is one of the Lions' most active guys in regards to community involvement.
Agreed on all counts. The coaches love Peirson for his work on and off the field. Here's a link to the team's news release:
https://www.bclions.com/2022/12/19/peirson-signs-extension-through-24-lions-also-add-three-americans/
Walt67
Starter

I continue to be intrigued to see what a healthy O'Connor could do with some seasoning. I hope the Lions retain the T-Bird.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have released versatile DB Loucheiz Purifoy, who has played SAM linebacker and every position in the secondary during his career. According to 3DownNation he was due a $30,000 roster bonus on Feb. 15.
https://3downnation.com/2023/01/04/b-c- ... z-purifoy/

The B.C. secondary was one of the strengths of the team last year but the position group is unsettled heading into 2023. Delvin Breaux has reportedly retired, while T.J. Lee, Garry Peters and Hakeem Johnson are pending free agents.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:43 am
The Lions have released versatile DB Loucheiz Purifoy, who has played SAM linebacker and every position in the secondary during his career. According to 3DownNation he was due a $30,000 roster bonus on Feb. 15.

The B.C. secondary was one of the strengths of the team last year but the position group is unsettled heading into 2023. Delvin Breaux has reportedly retired, while T.J. Lee, Garry Peters and Hakeem Johnson are pending free agents.
I am surprised because with Purifoy's versatility I considered him to be a very valuable member of the defense. $30k isn't much, so there must be other reasons.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

What has the Lions number crunching to save the $30,000? Because they don’t have $72,000 starting QB anymore regardless if Rourke stays?
Hate to see this. Is this a reflection of Rugamba taking the SAM spot from him mid-season and the Lions feel he is being over paid to continue at safety?
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I think there's a combination of factors. As BCF mentioned the secondary could be unsettled. As good as the group was in 2022 it was collectively getting to where they need to transition in some younger blood lest they go from veteran to old all at the same time. Out of Breaux, Peters, Lee, Purifoy and Sayles only Sayles is under 30.

As DanoT mentioned Purifoy brought versatility, a very valuable trait in the CFL. He could be put into any spot in the secondary as well as SAM and play them all well. But was he the best Lion at any of them? Last year the emergence of Rugamba who is only 24 pushed Purifoy out of the SAM spot and back into the secondary where he in turn displaced the also younger Quincy Mauger. I don't know if that necessarily meant Purifoy was an upgrade over Mauger or if it was easier to sit Mauger to keep Purifoy's versatility in the lineup.

Sammy's mention of the roster bonus could also be a factor. Maybe they tried to renegotiate Purifoy's contract including that bonus, a common CFL-wide practice, and he balked? Could have been a repeat of the Korey Banks scenario. He used to get a chunk of money up front as a roster bonus every year. Finally Wally said no because he wasn't sure Banks was the lock to make the team that he used to be. If Campbell has Rugamba a lock at SAM and thinks Mauger can do the job at safety for quite a bit less then maybe he felt they'd be better served to keep that $30K and the savings between Purifoy and Mauger to help secure Lee and Peters if that is their intention.

Overall I was totally expecting a bit of a shakeup in the secondary due to the need to open up playing time for younger players. Such a veteran group as BC had was also turning into a roadblock for promising younger players like Mauger, Cooper, Edwards-Cooper and from 2021 Hardin, Gamboa and Wilson to see the field. Even with Breaux retiring I've personally been preparing that at least one of those other veterans would not be returning. Only question was who that would be? I was leaning towards it being Peters as Lee is such a vital and vocal piece in the leadership of not just the defence but the team itself.

So I think there was a need to clear some of the veteran logjam in the secondary and that $30K may have been what made Purifoy the one who drew the short straw.

EDIT: One last note. Don't forget the minimum salaries are going up this year . Overall cap goes up $160K from $5.35M to $5.51M. That $160K is a bigger increase than the normal $50K but is needed to make up for the increase in minimum salaries. Minimum salaries go up from $65K to $70K and that now includes Global players who were only at $54K in 2022. Debaillie and Rouyer automatically get $16K raises. Obviously that means every rookie who makes the 2023 club will make $5K more than similar rookies did last year.
Last edited by Hambone on Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

According to 3DownNation reporter John Hodge, Purifoy was due a $30,000 off-season roster bonus on Feb. 15, 2023.
The CFLPA have achieved some significant improvements under the new leadership group there but this issue should never be happening.

It used to happen a fair amount in the Wally years but to me this always smacks of signing agreements in less than good faith.

Granted the player might get better advice than to put a target squarely on them with an off-season roster bonus as part of their contract but I still think it's not a good thing.

I get that in the CFL $30,000 is a player contract rounding error as it isn't the NFL or NHL but to me it doesn't look good on the CFL or the Lions.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Clash Dance
Rookie

I believe the players actually want the roster bonus. This is so veterans are not cut in training camp and out of a place to play as teams have set rosters after free agency. By being released now, Purifoy now becomes an option for other teams now, before free agency.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Clash Dance wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:42 pm
I believe the players actually want the roster bonus. This is so veterans are not cut in training camp and out of a place to play as teams have set rosters after free agency. By being released now, Purifoy now becomes an option for other teams now, before free agency.
Yeah, buy releasing him well before free agency, he does get ahead of other soon to be but not yet Free Agents, so there is an oppourtunity for him to find a team that really needs him to fill a hole at SAM LB, FS, or DHB. Hopefully he gets good $ as he is a valuable player, imo.