TiCats 48 - Lions 8, Post-Game Stats and Comments 20181111

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

yukonlion
All Star

saw this coming based on the last few games .. even the win against edmonton had one good quarter..(went heavy on Hamilton in my pools!).... i think our personnel is pretty good, most would be picked up by other teams if released... it will be an interesting winter....

Wally and Braley solidified a weak franchise and have made our expectations high, but fresh blood at those levels are needed...
Last edited by yukonlion on Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

The_Pauser wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:57 pm
Good news is there will be changes next year.
No doubt about it. I think the Lions in 2019 will be almost unrecognizable compared to this season. I'm expecting much of the faces of the franchise to be gone. We know Buono will ease into retirement and unless his replacement is hired from within much of the current coaching staff will be turned over. On the playing side there is high probability many of the household names such as Elimimian, Lulay, Olafioye, J.Johnson, Rainey, Lumbala and Jennings will be elsewhere or retired. Ditto for many of the older vets Hervey parachuted in for this season. I also have no doubt the NFL will come knocking on Ty Long's door meaning a new kicker(s) is likely required. A training camp guide will be essential equipment in Kamloops next May.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
The_Pauser
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:18 pm
The_Pauser wrote:
No doubt about it. I think the Lions in 2019 will be almost unrecognizable compared to this season. I'm expecting much of the faces of the franchise to be gone. We know Buono will ease into retirement and unless his replacement is hired from within much of the current coaching staff will be turned over. On the playing side there is high probability many of the household names such as Elimimian, Lulay, Olafioye, J.Johnson, Rainey, Lumbala and Jennings will be elsewhere or retired. Ditto for many of the older vets Hervey parachuted in for this season. I also have no doubt the NFL will come knocking on Ty Long's door meaning a new kicker(s) is likely required. A training camp guide will be essential equipment in Kamloops next May.
The scary thing is, they already went through an offseason full of turnover.
Roar you Lions roar!
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

The_Pauser wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:22 pm
Hambone wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:18 pm
The_Pauser wrote:
The scary thing is, they already went through an offseason full of turnover.
When Hervey filled most of the holes last season with older veterans it was a given it would lead to another offseason of high turnover after this season.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:11 pm
Mark Washington, our defensive coordinator since 2014, has not had our defence ready to play in the playoffs from that season to this season and every playoff game in between.

Lets look at that record, which is embarrassing or should be.

2014 -gave up 50 points to Montreal.
2015- 35 points to Calgary
2016- 31 points to Winnipeg (including 25 first half points)
2016 - 42 points to Calgary, including 32 first half points and 334 yds of offence
2017 - missed playoffs
2018 - gave up 48 points to Hamilton, including 28 first half points.

How this guy is even in a conversation for a future Head Coach is beyond me. His name should not even be mentioned.
I agree that Washington should not be the Lions' next head coach but he can't be blamed for the score in this game or most of the other blowout losses the Lions have suffered over the years. As most often happens in big games, the B.C. offence gave the game away. Hamilton scored 31 points off turnovers. The Lions also conceded a safety, giving Hamilton a total of 33 points. Washington's defence was responsible for only 15 of Hamilton's 48 points.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

LION TAMERS: ‘CATS CLAW BC IN DOMINANT EASTERN SEMI SHOWING

CFL.CA STAFF

HAMILTON – Jeremiah Masoli proved Sunday why he is the East Division nominee for Most Outstanding Player, dominating time of possession and putting 28 first half points on the board.

Masoli passed for 259 yards and three touchdowns yards and newcomer Bralon Addison hauled 124 of those yards as the Hamilton Tiger-Cats mauled the BC Lions 48-8 at Tim Hortons Field Sunday afternoon in the Eastern Semi-Final.

The Tiger-Cats will now travel to Ottawa to take on the REDBLACKS in the Eastern Final next weekend.

On top of a stellar outing from Masoli, the Tiger-Cats won the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball and were gifted a two-touchdown performance by Luke Tasker.

For a pair of teams that only played each other twice, there was no shortage of bad blood between these two teams. The Lions stormed back in the first meeting for an overtime win and the Ticats owned the battle the following week in a game that wasn’t short on fireworks.

One of the primary differences in the Eastern Semi versus the two previous encounters was the BC quarterback, Travis Lulay, whose play in the final third of the regular season helped propel the Lions to a playoff berth.

Before Lulay could see the field, it was the MOP candidate under centre on the other side that put the first points on the board. Masoli got the Ticats off and running with a pair of big completions to SB Bralon Addison and a 21-yard screen pass to RB Alex Green to set the Ticats up on the Lions goal line. In one of the more bizarre sneaks one will see, short yardage QB Dane Evans snuck right, fumbled the ball but it was promptly recovered by offensive lineman Kelvin Palmer for the score and an early 7-0 Hamilton lead.

When Lulay did take the field for the Leos, his first play from scrimmage gave the Ticats another chance to score. Lulay went play action and when he dropped back to pass, put the ball on the carpet. It was recovered by DE Adrian Tracy on the BC 42-yard line.

Five plays later, the Ticats were in the endzone again after Masoli and Addison connected for 27 yards and then looked off the safety and found Tasker on a post for a 14-yard major.

The Lions responded with a solid drive to get some traction, but a 41-yard Ty Long field goal went wide right.

Already dominating time of possession, the TIcats made BC pay for the miss, generating a 4:56 drive that featured a 50-yard strike from Masoli to Addison before backup RB Sean Thomas-Erlington who made a nine-yard TD reception off his back shoulder.

Two possessions later, the ‘Cats flexed their muscles again when a 17-yard run by Green set up Luke Taskers second major of the game when he hauled in a 25-yard pass ahead of the goal line and navigated his way to pay dirt. The major extended the lead to 28-0 with just over four minutes left and was set up by a third-and-inches stop by the Ticats when LB Larry Dean stuffed QB Cody Fajardo on the gamble at the BC 42 yard line.

Masoli entered halftime with a four-touchdown lead, a completion percentage of 81.3 and a receiver, Addison, with 124 yards receiving. The first half was dominated so heavily by the Tiger-Cats that the Lions didn’t get their first stop until the 7:37 mark of the second quarter.

When the third quarter began, the dominant Ticats offence cooled but began to play the field position game – the Lions started their first three possessions of the half inside their own 10-yard line.

With just over five minutes remaining in the third frame, Lulay tried to work his way out of a jam, looking for WR DeVier Posey on a five-yard out. Posey came out of his break and DB Frankie Williams jumped the route, picked off the pass clean and took it 39 yards for the pick-six.

That ended Lulay’s day, who was replaced by Jonathon Jennings for the remainder of the game, stuck 37-0. Lulay finished 8 of 17 for 103 yards, one interception, one fumble and no touchdowns.

Jennings willed the Lions into the redzone for the first time and looked poised to break the shutout. The Loins lined up on the Hamilton one-yard line on first down and went for a wildcat formation but the snap was fumbled by RB Tyrell Sutton and scooped up by veteran LB Simoni Lawrence who took it 92 yards down to the BC goal line. Backup Dane Evans would punch it in from there to extend the lead to 44-0.

The Lions would finally break the goose egg when Jennings found WR Shaq Johnson for a 30-yard major. They would add a two-point conversion.

Despite the late score, it was a blip on what was otherwise a phenomenal outing by the Hamiltoin defence which forced five turnovers and controlled the line of scrimmage all day long.

Before the day was done, the Ticats put Evans in the game to close things out. He got in on the party by completing a pass to Mike Jones for a gain of 37 yards before the three minute warning to put another field goal on the board.

The ‘Cats will now begin prep on the Eastern Final in Ottawa while the Lions head back to Vancouver where they will clean their lockers out on Monday. Sunday’s loss is the largest in BC Lions playoff history.
https://www.cfl.ca/games/2547/bc-lions- ... /#/preview
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Just. Not. Ready.

Offence.

Defence.

STs.
Jennings willed the Lions into the redzone for the first time and looked poised to break the shutout. The Lions lined up on the Hamilton one-yard line on first down and went for a wildcat formation but the snap was fumbled by RB Tyrell Sutton and scooped up by veteran LB Simoni Lawrence who took it 92 yards down to the BC goal line. Backup Dane Evans would punch it in from there to extend the lead to 44-0.

The Lions would finally break the goose egg when Jennings found WR Shaq Johnson for a 30-yard major. They would add a two-point conversion.

Despite the late score, it was a blip on what was otherwise a phenomenal outing by the Hamilton defence which forced five turnovers and controlled the line of scrimmage all day long.
Good audition for Jennings for a new team. This fan wishes him well. Tough farewell for Travis. As a long time fan, I wish him well.

Wildcat at the one on first down. Risk taking? Pointless. Might as well have gone for the ''Conga Line'' for one last ime. Ha ha

Fumbles.

Broken coverages.

All kinds of screwups.

I had posted that Mark W should move Thompson around, closer to the LOS at times, et cetera. He puts him on a blitz and Thompson goes offside. Whaddayagonnado?
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:42 am
Many concerns re this game. It could be a stinker, which might be appropriate. We might also win, if the players are inspired, possibly by each other, playing for each other. We will see. It has our attention.
Wishful thinking on the latter hope. We got the former, the blow out.

On to next year. It can't happen soon enough. 9 and 9, and make the playoffs. In previous years, that meant more of the same. Yikes.

Coaching changes coming.

Thank the Lord.

48-8 loss. Sad, humiliating end to Wally's career. Throw somebody under the bus? Sure, Braley. He would not sell. He held out for more money. He kept asking Wally to stay on. The franchise is on life support. Current value? Who knows? Less than $10M, gotta be. $7 M? $5 M?
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Blitz
Team Captain

151 ydars for Andrew Harris against the Riders. A huge mistake by Buono to let Harris go.

Too many mistakes by the Buono regime for too many seasons now. Gonna reflect some before posting again.

Always emotional after a Leos playoff loss. I really liked this Leos team, in terms of the players. I was hoping for a great playoff run by them but also knew that our coaching and game planning for the playoffs has been so dismal for so long that it likely would be a huge factor.

It was.

Hamilton's offence shredded our defense on their first series and I just knew, after watching that, that it would likely be a long day.

It was.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
longtimefan
Starter

The Lions have been going backwards since the passing of Bobby Ackles. I for one will be glad to see the whole coaching staff being given "an apple and a road map." Wally's best before date started started in 2008 . Yes new ownership is needed and thanks for your efforts and cronyism Wally. Hope retirement goes well for you.
The_Pauser
Legend

longtimefan wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:30 pm
The Lions have been going backwards since the passing of Bobby Ackles. I for one will be glad to see the whole coaching staff being given "an apple and a road map." Wally's best before date started started in 2008 . Yes new ownership is needed and thanks for your efforts and cronyism Wally. Hope retirement goes well for you.
They won a Grey Cup in 2011...taking 1st place in 2011 and 2012.
Roar you Lions roar!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Buono had a reputation for getting rid of players before their best due date. Wished he had applied his philosophy to himself and other coaches.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Yes, I notice Harris today got Player of the Game for the Bombers in their win.

All I can say now is that there is no excuse for not cleaning house. Hopefully any chances at the HC position by any of the current Lions's coaching staff have been truly and summarily ended. The bad taste of today aside, it is fair to say that none of their performances merit consideration for the HC position.

I will say it again, we will end up with new HC and we may absolutely hate the product of that but at least it will be different and after all these years, we need something different.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I was near certain that Jackson would get out coached by Granville but I had hoped that the Lions D which had been the Lions strength all season, might be able to pull it off. How foolish of me.

Anyone else notice that on Tasker's 1st TD he beat Herdman in the back corner of the end zone? Herdman is mostly a run stopper LB who is not known for his speed, so what is he doing trying to cover the TiCats best receiver? :dizzy:

The silver lining to this embarrassing fiasco is that Ed would have to be completely out of his mind to hire Washington as a HC. And Wally may have trouble convincing the new HC to retain Washington as DC.

We may also never again have to endure listening to Wally referring to himself as a legend.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

If I recall correcrly, Tasker’s two TDs were scored against Winston Rose and T.J. Lee. Sean Thomas-Erlington scored in man coverage by Herdman at the back of the end zone. It was an excellent play call, isolating a running back against B.C.’s weakest pass defender.
Blitz
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:10 pm
I was near certain that Jackson would get out coached by Granville but I had hoped that the Lions D which had been the Lions strength all season, might be able to pull it off. How foolish of me.

Anyone else notice that on Tasker's 1st TD he beat Herdman in the back corner of the end zone? Herdman is mostly a run stopper LB who is not known for his speed, so what is he doing trying to cover the TiCats best receiver? :dizzy:

The silver lining to this embarrassing fiasco is that Ed would have to be completely out of his mind to hire Washington as a HC. And Wally may have trouble convincing the new HC to retain Washington as DC.

We may also never again have to endure listening to Wally referring to himself as a legend.
Hamilton pushed Mark Washington to play zone in our two regular season contests. Jones knew for this game, we would try to stay with man defense, our strength.

So, he set up situations where we would cover a receiver with a linebacker. Washington did not need to do that. But by wanting to play our safety or twin safeties deep, in man defense, the matchup of a linebacker on a receiver is what we gave them and Jones took advantage.

Before this game I suggested that we have T.J. Lee cover Tasker in man coverage, whether we were playing man or zone on defense. It would have been a good strategy.

Having Herdman covering Erlington is a serious coaching error determined by defensive scheme. Of course, Hamilton set it up by also ensuring Herdman, and not Lokombo would be in coverage for that play.

That's not only bad coaching by us but also good coaching by Hamilton, taking advantage of vulnerablities by watching game tape.

Our Leos coaching staff did not tend to do those types of things or as Wally always said "We just need to focus on ourselves'. That philosophy always distanvantated us.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)