Leos vs Calgary - Its Crunch Time! and Game Day Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Interesting comments on the Hervey critiques of Jennings by Dave Naylor. In this part of his column is he suggesting that the relations between Hervey and Jennings's agent might impact the GM's decisions on other clients of this guy here in BC?

I didn't get that feeling from Hervey's comments but I might have missed something.

I had heard some TSN comments about potential risks of the locker room dividing into the Wally and the Ed signed players - but I didn't take that seriously.

https://www.tsn.ca/naylor-s-kickoff-gla ... -1.1190694
Given the acrimony between Hervey and Ghahremani, the question now becomes how much this might affect his other clients on the Lions, which include running back Jeremiah Johnson, receiver Manny Arceneaux and linebacker Solomon Elimimian.

Elimimian is signed for next season, the others are not.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:26 pm
Interesting comments on the Hervey critiques of Jennings by Dave Naylor. In this part of his column is he suggesting that the relations between Hervey and Jennings's agent might impact the GM's decisions on other clients of this guy here in BC?

I didn't get that feeling from Hervey's comments but I might have missed something.

I had heard some TSN comments about potential risks of the locker room dividing into the Wally and the Ed signed players - but I didn't take that seriously.

Given the acrimony between Hervey and Ghahremani, the question now becomes how much this might affect his other clients on the Lions, which include running back Jeremiah Johnson, receiver Manny Arceneaux and linebacker Solomon Elimimian.

Good chance that none of the other 3 players represented by Jenning's agent are back next year either. I doubt Hervey will pay Manny what Manny thinks he is worth. Johnson will be sacrificed so Sutton (acquired by Hervey) can be the featured running back. Sol-E will be traded to free up cap space and get players and/or draft picks.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Toppy Vann wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:26 pm

Meh. The same sorts of questions were always being raised by fans across the league regarding Casey Printers' agent/uncle Jason Medlock who has represented many players through what seem like acrimonious negotiations. He continues to represent players all across the CFL and GMs across the CFL continue to deal with him.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
BC 1988
Legend

Another factor is how many games JJ10 needs to play this season for his first level of bonus money to kick in. He's at 8 games appeared in now, and needs 10. Does anyone know if it's appearances or starts that they are counting?
http://3downnation.com/2018/07/11/lions ... lications/
Rammer
Team Captain

BC 1988 wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:50 pm
Another factor is how many games JJ10 needs to play this season for his first level of bonus money to kick in. He's at 8 games appeared in now, and needs 10. Does anyone know if it's appearances or starts that they are counting?
http://3downnation.com/2018/07/11/lions ... lications/
Without knowing the actual bonus payout contract, I'll go out on a limb and say it is based on starts. Since both Lulay and Jennings signed the way to be fair was to offer starting bonus money to the QB who pulled the most starts. That way the starter got paid his value and the Lions didn't have to bust the bank on two starting QB's.
Entertainment value = an all time low
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I’m curious to see how Jeremiah Johnson adjusts to his new role replacing Chris Rainey as the Lions’ primary punt and kick returner and rotational running back. It appears that Tyrell Sutton will be given every chance to be the No. 1 RB, which means that either Rainey or Johnson will be scratched. Rainey is listed third on the depth chart this week. Travon Van has been released.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Let's hope the title of this thread isn't a metaphor for a negative outcome.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Blitz
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:52 pm
I’m curious to see how Jeremiah Johnson adjusts to his new role replacing Chris Rainey as the Lions’ primary punt and kick returner and rotational running back. It appears that Tyrell Sutton will be given every chance to be the No. 1 RB, which means that either Rainey or Johnson will be scratched. Rainey is listed third on the depth chart this week. Travon Van has been released.
My best guess is that it will be Jeremiah Johnson running back punts.

At this point in the year, with the weather getting colder, Johnson will get the opportunity to run punts back the way Wally wants them run back, with a focus on field position, rather than breaking the big one.

Johnson then can come in as the rotational back. Rainey's stats as a runner and receiver are not very good this season. (and somehow, the Lions have said they don't know how to use him as a decoy)

In terms of quarterbacking for this game and for the remainder of the season, my hope is that Lulay will take off one or two times more in a game. Lualy has only run the football 6 times this season for 36 yards. (6 yd. average)
Jonathan Jennings had run the football 35 times for 223 yds. (6.4 yds. per carry). Jennings was also our 2nd leading rusher after Jeremiah Johnson.
Lulay is at his best as a double threat quarterback but even if he only takes off a couple of times per game, it will either help us pick up a first down or keep the defense more honest.
Lulay is one of the best runners ever as a Leo quarterback.
Flutie may have been the best and Casey was a very good escape artist, when at his best in 2004, Jennings is a good runner, but Lulay was a very effective runner, who could also find an open receiver at the last second as well.

Lulay, if he takes off, has to be careful when running, and slide. But he has been hurt 3 times in the pocket this season and running with the football may be less dangerus.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Would be nice if Jarius Jackson and Mark Washington devised an innovative game plan that befuddles the Stampeders but that is wishful thinking on my part. Instead, we'll see the same bland and predictable offence that fans have been treated to the past few seasons. Despite the plethora of injuries that have afflicted the Stampeders, I still don't see the Lions winning. Of course, I would love to be proven wrong.
David
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:40 pm
Actually, I believe Johnson will only be returning kicks, Blitz (and spelling off Sutton at tailback). Anthony Parker and Ricky Collins will be returning punts.

My 3 keys to the game:

1) Can our O-line neutralize Calgary's front 7? If we can't, we don't have much of a shot of winning. Stamps now have Cordarro Law back who's one of the best linemen in the league.

2) The quarterback draw will likely be taken out of the playbook for Travis's protection. He's also not likely to scramble on broken plays. JJ is a very under-rated runner. How much will we miss those rushing yards?

3) Sure, Calgary is missing most of their receiving weapons. But they have three excellent running backs in Romar Morris, Don Jackson, and Terry Williams. Can we stop the run?

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Blitz
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:57 pm
Would be nice if Jarius Jackson and Mark Washington devised an innovative game plan that befuddles the Stampeders but that is wishful thinking on my part. Instead, we'll see the same bland and predictable offence that fans have been treated to the past few seasons. Despite the plethora of injuries that have afflicted the Stampeders, I still don't see the Lions winning. Of course, I would love to be proven wrong.

David
MVP

Contact David

Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:42 pm
Blitz wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:40 pm
Actually, I believe Johnson will only be returning kicks, Blitz (and spelling off Sutton at tailback). Anthony Parker and Ricky Collins will be returning punts.

You're likely right david. But if that happens, we're basically using an import (Johnson) as a rotational backup tailback. The running back kickoffs part is not a huge deal.

This is the way I believe the Lions are thinking for the rest of the season.

Much More running (ground and pound, north-south) with Sutton and Johnson spelling him off. We may even use Sutton and Johnson two backs on occasion (or should)

But how do we run the football more often as an RPO offence?

For example, we passed 47 times while only running 7 times against Hamilton in our first win with Jennings back as our starter and we passed a lot and ran a lot in the second contest too?

The defense really determines run or pass post snap, with RP0, because the quarterback reads whether a second layer defender (usually linebacker) is in the box or not.
In order to run the football more, we will have to predetermine a runnning play pre-snap, which willl get us out of RPO more.
I'm guessing that will happen. Plus, Wally and Ed have said they like Sutton as a pass blocker (and criticized Johnson in that role). But in RPO, the tailback is going on a misdirection run, which does not set up a traditional pass blocking role picking up the blitzer.

So, if we want to use Sutton's 'better' pass blocking abilities, that means reducing RPO also.

Plus, Lulay got hurt on RPO plays.
So all signs to me say LESS RPO.

I expect Lulay to have an excellent game. Our quarterbacks usually play very well in their first game again as our starter. But its been difficult to maintain, due to protection and scheme issues.

Running the football often and well is key. It was key to our offence in our successful 2016 season and we have not been a consistent or good offence since because we have not run the football consistently ever since.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
SammyGreene
Team Captain

So frigid conditions at Calgary. High of 1C today with 60 percent chance of flurries and this a 6 p.m. kickoff MT time!

Exactly 4 weeks to the day Travis gets hurt and he will be back on a frozen field facing the league's top defence. Don't exactly see what the rush is.

Jennings went 2-1 in relief running this pedestrian offence. Next week's game is going a long way to decide the final playoff spot — essentially a 4 pointer with the winner also getting the season series. Makes way more sense for Lulay's return.

The Stamps front 4 is tough enough to deal with never mind a 3rd string rookie center lined up against Micah Johnson.

Expecting another loss at McMahon. Just better be a better effort than the no show two weeks ago in Hamilton.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Now that Lulay is starting again and Jennings is the backup I would love to see the Lions use Jennings in those short yardage situations. I don't know why they send out Fajardo when everyone knows it will be a QB sneak every single time. With Jennings the LIons would have an entire playbook (oops sorry, Jarious doesn't have a playbook anymore) full of options besides plunge forward.
Blitz
Team Captain

Belize City Lion wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:25 am
Now that Lulay is starting again and Jennings is the backup I would love to see the Lions use Jennings in those short yardage situations. I don't know why they send out Fajardo when everyone knows it will be a QB sneak every single time. With Jennings the LIons would have an entire playbook (oops sorry, Jarious doesn't have a playbook anymore) full of options besides plunge forward.
Jarious likely has every play memorized in his head! :)

Hopefully though, he won't leave his game notes on the Leos bench in Calgary after the game. :)
Rammer
Team Captain

Game time, not feeling it given a road game and to top it off its the Stamps. But to stay in the hunt the Lions need to find a way to win, even if it is against the Stamps B offensive lineup.
Entertainment value = an all time low