BUCK IS BACK - LIONS RE-ACQUIRE PIERCE

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Sir Purrcival wrote:Sorry DanoT, I have to disagree. Buck is a great character guy but that does nothing for us on the field. This doesn't strengthen us, it doesn't really do anything for us unless they are going to let him do the play calling from the sidelines. Correct me if I am wrong, wasn't one of the reasons we let Buck go was out of concern for his health? This is the worst move ever so far as I can tell. He just isn't serviceable as a QB and if Travis gets hurt for any length of time, you better make room on the cart beside him for Buck because with our QB protection problems, he isn't going to last a game if he has to start. Harsh words considering I really like the guy as a person but we just gave up a Canadian Receiver for this? Really makes me question the Lions brain trust right now. They just released a guy with CFL game experience who is a lot younger and healthier. Exactly how does this make us better?
Fire Chaps and get Buck calling the plays, works for me.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

I am unmoved, as this does nothing to improve the club unless he's used on short yardage.
mightybuck
Legend

Wow...thats all

Mb
"The most competitive men love the most competitive game" Vince Lombardi

A true friend is someone who walks in when everyone else is walking out
JohnHenry
Champion

DanoT wrote:I thought that cutting Joey Elliot really weakened the Lions in the event of a Lulay injury but now with the return of Buck as a backup, it strengthens the team. Foster was not being utilized so his absence will have no impact.
I agree. This move has strengthened the team. Buck gives us that insurance policy in case Travis were ever to get injured. Buck's had good success running our offence (21-12) unlike any other QB available. While a NFL newbie, Porter or Jyles might have offered more future upside, this move was about this season. Buck at 31, could still play for a few more seasons. :thup:
prj
Starter

Now, if we learn on Monday that Travis WAS injured on Saturday, then the tone of this thread might shift rather quickly, methinks.
leo4life
All Star

Wonder if Buck will be back next season? Is this just a "rental?" I like Buck maybe Chap can give him his own package as a change of pace every now and then.Buck wants to win and will go all out!
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

On a personal level, I have the greatest admiration and respect for Buck. So I am happy about this trade.

As noted, Travis has survived by a miracle thus far. Plus amazing survival instincts. In an offence with Neanderthal thinking, glossed over with formations and plays that do little to fool anybody. IMO ...

Buck, like Travis, is the ultimate team guy.

I guess Buck goes to #2 right away. But who knows? I am doubting the wisdom of some of the decisions we are seeing. JC seems to get what he wants. And who gets shipped out. Foster did not fit somehow. Elliott did not fit somehow.

Buck is used to being drilled in the chaotic pocket. He knows what he is getting into. He and Travis can empathize and sympathize with each other, and support each other. Travis has his wingman again, replacing Mike Reilly.

This does clarify the mystery of the release of Joey Elliott. I guess the Bombers held out long enough to get something rather than just cut Buck loose.

I have no problems with this move. But ... are we going to get some anti blitz preparation? Receivers and QBs given plans and instructions that help to effectively challenge the 7-8-9 men in the box and a long line of men right at the LOS? Gap 8 for Kids, brought to you by the Alouettes and TiCats versus the Lions.

We have problems on offence.

We have problems on defence.

We have personnel issues.

We have coaching issues.

We see Calgary and Regina above us. We see Toronto strong, especially when Ray returns. We see Hamilton ascendant. We see Montreal recovering from the Hawkins fiasco.

We see top level Xs and Os guys around the league.

Nothing is going to come easy ...
South Pender
Legend

sj-roc wrote:Presumably BP will be #2 on the depth chart, which leaves the question of who will be #3, DeMarco or Hart? Seems like DeMarco would get the nod there.
Definitely. Wally said that Hart would dress for only the one game.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

As much as I like Buck, this trade smacks of desperation by Wally Buono. Reacquiring a player you traded away ?
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

JohnHenry wrote:While a NFL newbie, Porter or Jyles might have offered more future upside, this move was about this season. Buck at 31, could still play for a few more seasons. :thup:
The age difference between Pierce, Porter and Jyles is negligible. Buck is only 10 months older than Jyles and 13 months older than Porter.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:As much as I like Buck, this trade smacks of desperation by Wally Buono. Reacquiring a player you traded away ?
If it smacks of desperation then you gotta wonder how much upside they see in Demarco. Elliott speculated that they might be wanting Jarius to suit up so there must have been rumblings of some sorts around the team.

Maybe we shall see the return of our good friend from Crescent City! ( I see he posted while I was slowing composing this). I was on the phone.
Last edited by Toppy Vann on Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I have to say I didn't see this coming. However in pure football terms it's a deal that adds some experience and depth at the most important position while really giving up nothing. Getting Foster is a good move for the Bombers but is no loss for BC. Foster was buried behind Gore, Iannuzzi and Haidara on the depth chart but I think has the upside to be very attractive to Ottawa in the expansion draft. I see this as acquiring a rental QB with the price being a player they aren't using and likely lose for nothing in December.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Well give Wally credit of plenty for at least creating a buzz in Surrey this week with Buck's arrival. Not exactly a vote of confidence for Demarco and Buck behind that o-line/blocking schemes is one scary thought. Unless this is Chapdelaine pleading to Wally to get another experienced QB can read and beat the blitz better than Travis can. :wink:
notahomer
Hall of Famer

:shock: Just stunned.... Love Buck the football player but sure hope he doesn't continue to get knocked around. I guess I'm shocked but when I think about it, the Lions are probably a better football team AFTER than before. And the Bomber fans can comment on who got the better of the deal....

I really did think Pierce had played his last snap in a Lions uni.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

mightybuck wrote:Wow...thats all

Mb
Welcome back. To you and Buck.

Tell him he was not forgotten. One of the all time Lions guys. :thup: