Simon traded to Riders

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

SammyGreene
Team Captain

The_Pauser wrote:I'm absolutely gutted right now :(
I hear you. Definitely a numb feeling as WC Joe suggests.

No doubt the Lions will get some backlash for this — perhaps even in season ticket sales. Casual fans see the Lions dispatching their most popular player for little in return.

I focused on Geroy a lot last year, even when the ball wasn't being thrown his way. Just was no longer getting seperation from DBs that I was used to seeing or winning battles for those 50/50 balls he so often came down with. If anything I thought Lulay went his way too much given how covered he was.

My football head definitely gets the decision to trade. My heart still needs to be convinced.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I had the pleasure of talking to him a number of times, sometimes at the golf course.

One time it was at the Laughing Faces at English Bay in the summertime with a friend. Looking at the sculptures and Geroy approaches from the side with a couple of buddies. "What are you doing here?" LOL

A Mercedes Benz as a receiver.

And as a person too.

Best wishes.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

This is a great deal for both teams and Simon. Simon can bolster a weak receiving corps and is worth more money to the Riders as a possession receiver than to the Lions as a sixth receiver. The Lions get two potential assets for a player who was going to be released if he couldn't be traded. This makes the Lions-Riders rivalry even stronger.

Simon's signature remains prominent on my latest Lions' jersey. He's still the greatest Lions' receiver of all time. I wish him well.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

@FarhanLaljiTSN:Geroy's contract with the #Riders is 1 year plus option & will pay him $170k. With bonuses he could reach close to 200k.
Wally wasn't going to come close to that. So between Simon and Bruce and Lions have shed over $300,000 in SMS space in the past week.
Rammer
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:
@FarhanLaljiTSN:Geroy's contract with the #Riders is 1 year plus option & will pay him $170k. With bonuses he could reach close to 200k.
Wally wasn't come close to that. So between Simon and Bruce and Lions have shed over $300,000 in SMS space in the past week.
More importantly the Riders have taken on up to $200K in salary for an aging star. Is anyone else surprised that the Lions were shelling out $205K for Simon last season like I was? If you knew that along with his production from last season, there wasn't value in that contract and the Riders are on the hook for $170K minimum, I just can't see that working in their favour regardless. Think about the jersey sales that Geroy at least countered off his salary for BC, not sure that will transpire in Rider land.
Entertainment value = an all time low
squishy35
Legend

A sad day for sure, as is the end of any positive era with a sports franchise. I wish Geroy all the best in the flatlands..... He was a GREAT player for this organization. As a fan, I cannot thank him enough for his professionalism both on and off the field. You will be missed Geroy...... take care.
squishy35
Legend

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

squishy35 wrote:Image
I stand by my comment that it was a good trade but that picture just looks wrong. :wink:
Rammer
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
I stand by my comment that it was a good trade but that picture just looks wrong. :wink:
Especially with the orange striped pants. :)

I guess one perspective for the Lion fans to ease some concerns, is Wally traded Geroy to an interdivisional rival. That alone has to suggest that he really thinks that Geroy's tank is running on fumes.
Entertainment value = an all time low
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

My God. That looks awful.

Hoping it doesn't happen here this year. Hmmmmm ... Well, OK, as long as we win.

He never was completely ours. Bombers. LIONS. Riders. CFL.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

http://www.riderville.com/roster/show/id/209

Seems they haven't assigned him Mr. Elgaard's #81 yet. Didn't they retire that number for him?
Last edited by sj-roc on Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
JohnHenry
Champion

As much as I liked Geroy, getting a 3rd round pick for a 37-yr-old import receiver is amazing! Harper looks like a good prospect too. This is an incredible deal for the Lions, they should be celebrating in Whalley today!

Not only do they clear $200k in cap space, they've upheld Geroy's reputation. Rather than Geroy getting his salary cut in half and being relegated to backup cheerleader on the Lions sideline, Geroy now has a chance to extend his career in Sask. With the players coming back in trade, this is a win/win for the Lions!

The downside is we lose Geroy, one of the greatest Lions and greatest receivers ever. Instead of his number being hung from BCP rafters, he'll now be playing for a hated divisional rival, in green. We can only hope our young guys come through and become reliable receivers. The bonus is they'll have the best pivot in football slinging them the football! Go Lions Go!
Last edited by JohnHenry on Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
squishy35
Legend

I'm looking for good things from Courtenay Taylor this year..... I have a feeling he is going to be a real force very soon in this league.....
South Pender
Legend

I guess that from a balance-sheet perspective this is a prudent move by the Lions, but like everyone else, I'm choked to see Geroy go. And, as someone suggested, perhaps getting anything at all in return is a positive. However, it's hard to see what we got in return having much impact on the 2013 edition of the team. The import receiver evidently wasn't good enough to contribute much for the Riders last year, and how much help are we likely to get from a 3rd round draft pick? I hope the big reduction in salary costs will allow the team to pick up some solid free agents and/or to hang on to the imports we already have and will need (like Jovan).
274always
All Star

That's Superman wrapped in Kryptonite.
Grey Cup 103. Graduation day.