Dan Hawkins, Head Coach of the Alouettes ...

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Chaps as a HC, I guessing, would remain the play caller. This is a popular trend these days in the NFL, so I wonder if Trestman will call plays for Da Bears?
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:Chaps as a HC, I guessing, would remain the play caller. This is a popular trend these days in the NFL, so I wonder if Trestman will call plays for Da Bears?
In one of the other threads, I noted that Trestman said in one of the reports that he will call the plays in Chicago.

He seemed almost giddy with excitement in the presser. LOL Well, why not? He has hit a home run for himself and his family. Money is no problem anymore. But the job does bring just a bit of pressure. Head Coach of the Bears.

Historical franchise. George Halas. Bronko Nagurski (I was surprised to see that he was Canadian born). Sammy Baugh. Mike Ditka. Sid Luckman. Gale Sayers. Dick Butkus. Walter Payton. 27 players in the NFL Hall of Fame. Founding franchise in the NFL.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

WestCoastJoe wrote:
DanoT wrote:Chaps as a HC, I guessing, would remain the play caller. This is a popular trend these days in the NFL, so I wonder if Trestman will call plays for Da Bears?
In one of the other threads, I noted that Trestman said in one of the reports that he will call the plays in Chicago.

He seemed almost giddy with excitement in the presser. LOL Well, why not? He has hit a home run for himself and his family. Money is no problem anymore. But the job does bring just a bit of pressure. Head Coach of the Bears.

Historical franchise. George Halas. Bronko Nagurski (I was surprised to see that he was Canadian born). Sammy Baugh. Mike Ditka. Sid Luckman. Gale Sayers. Dick Butkus. Walter Payton. 27 players in the NFL Hall of Fame. Founding franchise in the NFL.
Bronko Nagurski Jr. played for the TiCats in the 1950s, O line I think.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Teams ... story.html

As indicated in the post by Sammy in the Parker/Bruce thread, there is interest in Lions' assistant Mark Washington.

Travis Moore not returning ... Apparently just a rumour at this point.

And Buono has put time limits on the discussions with Chapdelaine and Washington.

Message to Jim Popp: Go for Maciocia. Leave JC alone. :wink:

We could easily lose both JC and MarkW. Head Coach and DC for the Alouettes. Two class guys.
Teams court Leos' coaches

By Lowell Ullrich, The Province January 20, 2013

It's a good thing B.C. Lions coach Mike Benevides squeezed in a week of vacation with his family on Maui because his tranquillity has been replaced by the thought an assistant coach could be off to lead the Montreal Alouettes.

Als general manager Jim Popp, as expected, obtained permission to speak with Lions offensive co-ordinator Jacques Chap-delaine on the weekend, but also has a green light to talk with defensive backs coach Mark Washington, general manager Wally Buono said.

It's not the first time that the Als have tried to get Washington to return to the team where he played six seasons.

No team has had as much work to reform a coaching staff than the Alouettes in the wake of Marc Trestman's move to the NFL Chicago Bears last week, and the fallout is being felt throughout the CFL. Saskatchewan hired ex-Montreal assistant Mike Sinclair Dec. 14 only to take a job with Trestman a month later.

Washington was in the running last winter to become the defensive co-ordinator of the Lions before Benevides snared Rich Stubler as part of his first staff.

Benevides was of the hope before Christmas he would have no changes to his staff, but is finding out otherwise, and not only because of the Montreal interest.

Buono would not address a rumour that receivers assistant Travis Moore may not be back, a potentially negative move for a team which is incorporating new starters at the position this season.

Buono gave permission to speak to Washington and Chapdelaine, who are under contract until Jan. 31, but put time restrictions on the discussions. Popp will also interview Toronto defensive co-ordinator Chris Jones and former Edmonton coach Danny Maciocia, the Montreal Gazette reported.
Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Teams ... z2IXIp9B7A
JohnHenry
Champion

Perhaps Travis Moore could see the writing on the wall with Geroy eventually taking over as the receiver's coach, perhaps sooner than later?

If George Cortez is available as OC, I'd frankly take him over Chapdelaine, who doesn't seem like HC material either. :ref:
notahomer
Hall of Famer

In the NHL, there seems to be a high priority on a french speaking coach. Not as big a deal for football? Danny M. or JC would obviously be good choices if that factors in.

This maybe a strange time in a lot of ways for the Alouette franchise. Guessing its got to be AC's last season. The franchise just seems to be taking one of those large turnover of roster. purrfect opportunity to take the team in a direction but what direction? In so many ways the Argos seem to be the safe/secure franchise in that division at this time. This season will see lots of changes and it just gets bigger in 2014 with Ottawa returning to the fray. Will be interesting to see how things work out....... :popcorn:
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Toppy Vann wrote:I read post taking apart Manti the hoax and the ND that DN gets $590,000 per year as OC where he is now.

That job was far above what Kent Austin was getting at Cornell.
I was thinking just that. 'Bama would have to be considered in the top 5, if not the top spot, in terms of being a prestigious program in NCAA football. Nussmeier would be taking a serious haircut if he was to move from there to any CFL HC job much less to a coordinator position. Head Coach Nick Saban is under contract through 2014 for $4.2 million per season, the equivalent of the CFL SMS for one team. One would think Nussmeier would definitely be in that $590K range if not more. There's reports he's interviewing for the HC job at Southern Miss.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote: In the NHL, there seems to be a high priority on a french speaking coach. Not as big a deal for football? Danny M. or JC would obviously be good choices if that factors in.
We agree

Signed,

Kirk Muller and Randy Cunneyworth
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Popp does not have any pressure to hire a French speaking HC. He addressed that very astutely on TSN radio. The clip is still there. He says it is just who is the right fit. When they tried to compare how that wouldn't fly with the Canadiens he did what media training experts would use as a training video to not get into that at all.

JC would be in my view a very dark horse in that race. Not sure JC would be a good fit for MTL following Trestman who is a polar opposite style with the players than JC.

Mike Sinclair from MTL to the Riders this off season as a coach only to now end up with Trestman and the Bears without coaching a TC or down with the Riders. Odd move.

Honestly I would be astounded if JC wasn't spoken to and equally shocked if he was offered the job as HC.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
MexicoLionFan
Legend

I would be okay with Chaps leaving, but I think losing Travis Moore would be tough to take as well...the fact that Wally would not address only adds weight to that rumour.

It will be interesting to see what MB does on the offensive side if JC leaves...Cortez and Stubler would make two of the best coordinators in the league...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
cromartie
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan wrote: if JC leaves...Cortez and Stubler would make two of the best coordinators in the league...
It's not wrong that I'm rooting for this, is it? :cr:
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Rammer
Team Captain

cromartie wrote:
MexicoLionFan wrote: if JC leaves...Cortez and Stubler would make two of the best coordinators in the league...
I am in the same mindset, too bad Cortez has signed in Saskatchewan. Still getting a new OC won't likely happen as I see it, at least I don't think that JC will join the Als anytime soon. Whoever makes that move will have to be able to deal with a depleted coaching staff and I am not so sure that JC has the personality to draw from his inner circle of coaching friends, heck I don't really think that he is on the inner circle with the Lions staff, he just seems to have a barrier around himself when it comes to personality.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Chris Jones resigned with the Argos
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
cromartie wrote:
I am in the same mindset, too bad Cortez has signed in Saskatchewan. Still getting a new OC won't likely happen as I see it, at least I don't think that JC will join the Als anytime soon. Whoever makes that move will have to be able to deal with a depleted coaching staff and I am not so sure that JC has the personality to draw from his inner circle of coaching friends, heck I don't really think that he is on the inner circle with the Lions staff, he just seems to have a barrier around himself when it comes to personality.
I think there is something to what you are saying. I was certainly wrong on Mike Benevides but my criticism of him as a new DC were the prism of how I viewed he'd be as a HC. I felt he missed a chance to learn from Dave Ritchie as a DC and how he managed the sideline, and kept injured guy's heads in the game with signal calling (decoy and live) and how cool he was. But the players all said MB was a junior Wally and they were right. He is a very good HC so far and says and does the right things. A hiccup was not speaking out against Khalif's issue with the due process stuff and then I felt KM just needed the right steering to make him the KM fans came to respect and admire - not the guy mom's said they didn't want their kids seeing.

JC is a very confusing person in an interview. He might be able to transition to a good HC as others have but we now know George Cortez didn't see the need to change. He made no apologies for the in your face style he used as an OC which as a HC might have been better spent keeping his head in the game and making the two challenge flag tosses that would have won him two more games.

I have watched him at practices back when DD, CP and BP and JJ were here and I felt that Kruck had far more positive interactions with these QBs that JC who seemed more aloof. He certainly has a reputation for hard working.

But he messed up in Edmn it seems and Ricky Ray seemed to consider him a joke with his day before game practicing of hand signals. For a class guy like Ray that was not the most glowing endorsement and rumours seemed to suggest that his personality didn't fit.

In MTL the interviews with players present and past about Trestman were some of the most glowing with the word 'friend' coming from more than one player. The praise suggests that to bring in a bristly style might be a tough act to win over the team.

I am very interested to see how Durant who got Berry and Marshall fired will work if Cortez gets in his face for tossing the ball to Ryan Phillips.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy