Solomon Elimimian

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

MexicoLionFan
Legend

I agree Rammer...the only thing worse than seeing Sol go to the NFL is seeing him back in the CFL with another team...YIKES!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

[quote="Blue In BC"]Would the Lions be able to afford re-signing him and staying under the cap?[/quote
Can the Lions afford not to ?
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

sj-roc wrote:I heard mention on the 1410 pregame show today that Eli was a healthy scratch in Minny's preseason win over Buffalo on Friday, for what that's worth.
According to NFL.com's gamebook Elimimian did play. He's listed under "Substititions" as opposed to "Did Not Play" or "Not Active'
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Blue In BC wrote:Would the Lions be able to afford re-signing him and staying under the cap?[/quote
Can the Lions afford not to ?
Yes. I think they could. You can still only put 12 guys on the field and you can only have so many imports as DI's. How the roster is structured by position also comes into play.

So I can see several reasons why the Lions would have difficulty finding room on their roster and within the SMS and ratio.

He would likely want to start and get more money than his last contract. Unless he bumps Bighill or the Lions trade Bighill ( seems not probable ) then Elimimian may choose a different team to join for various reasons.

Regina, Calgary, Winnipeg or Toronto could all use him.
Rammer
Team Captain

Don't you think that it would be an either or situation with Bighill and Elimimian? Lions just don't have the roster size or D system to support both IMO.
Entertainment value = an all time low
MexicoLionFan
Legend

I think that you simply have to make it work...Bighill, IMO, is perfectly suited for McKenzie's position anyways...we are asking a ton out of Adam to play the middle, he is simply too small to take on the 325 lb interior linemen, that is why, starting 3 games ago, Stubler changed the roles of the DTs to take up bodies and "protect" Bighill so he is freed up to make plays...last year, we didn't do this for Sol...he took on those behemoths and still made big plays...so, the only issue would be money, and for a player of Sol's age and talent, you make room...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Rammer
Team Captain

MexicoLionFan wrote:I think that you simply have to make it work...Bighill, IMO, is perfectly suited for McKenzie's position anyways...we are asking a ton out of Adam to play the middle, he is simply too small to take on the 325 lb interior linemen, that is why, starting 3 games ago, Stubler changed the roles of the DTs to take up bodies and "protect" Bighill so he is freed up to make plays...last year, we didn't do this for Sol...he took on those behemoths and still made big plays...so, the only issue would be money, and for a player of Sol's age and talent, you make room...
There is another factor at play here, McKenzie, it took awhile, but he now is a pivotal ingredient to our D, again IMO. I still think that Bighill would have to be a backup if Elimimian was back in orange and black and I am not sure that is good for the team in the short or long run. Not that it will transpire at any rate, I still think that SolE sticks in the NFL, he has that speed/hitting factor that would make a ST coach drool.
JohnHenry
Champion

jcalhoun wrote:
Rammer wrote:Don't you think that it would be an either or situation with Bighill and Elimimian? Lions just don't have the roster size or D system to support both IMO.
I think you're right, but I also think the critical decisions can be delayed until the offseason. Sol E represents both an import roster spot and a big contract, but who knows what the offseason will bring? Maybe a vet retires, someone else decides to try the NFL, etc. As to the scheme, you've got me there. Does anyone ever play a 3-4 in the CFL? Reddick is an import, and I'd say that he would be on the bubble if Sol E returned, because the natural inclination would be to have Sol start at MLB, and Bighill to move outside. But can Bighill play the wideside as well as Reddick? I don't know these things.

Cheers,

James
It would be hard to tinker with the lineup considering how well the D is playing? Benching McKenzie or Reddick and moving Bighill to get Eliminiam on the field might not be worth the gamble (with Lin J-Shell out?) Sol could be bulked-up and not in CFL shape...or injured? There is also the natural let-down a CFL player feels when returning from a failed-NFL tryout. Many never recover the hustle and desire which made them successful in the CFL.

It would be hard to take a pass on Sol, if available. But I just can't believe every NFL team wouldn't be interested in him. He could certainly contribute on special teams like J.T. Atogwe has done for so many years (and they don't even have to make tackles on half their kicks!)

I'll bet Sol makes the Vikings, if only on the practice squad but more likely the active roster. :thup:
Rammer
Team Captain

jcalhoun wrote:
Rammer, which is the biggest issue that you feel would effect the team if Sol E returned? Is it his import roster spot, cost, potentially displacing Bighill, or maybe upsetting the D's chemistry? Player for player, don't you think Sol is an upgrade over Bighill? Or is the difference between them so slight that Sol's potential salary makes Bighill a lot more attractive?

Cheers,

James
Really one factor runs into the next, cost comes at the expense of another position, having both Bighill and Elimimian takes away the low man on the totem pole ( perhaps at the expense of our largest strength DL ) which generally means his salary isn't at the level SolE will be at, so a further SMS issue. Currently our D looks as solid as it ever has and chemistry has to be considered. I love SolE, but you have to think that the Lions are solid currently and it would come down to his salary expectations and whether the Lions brass believe that it is that much of a difference maker when the D is shutdown right now without him. Then I worry about the potential loss of SolE ala Jovan Johnson to another team, wrecking havoc for years to come.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

There are some great arguments on both sides of the ball. My opinion is that if Eliminan is released, the Lions must make every effort to resign him and make it work. He is an impact linebacker and those types don't come along too often.
chainsawman34
prospect

Just read Sololmon was out with a pulled hamstring,he is currently listed as third team strong side linebacker.I don't see the vik's keeping more than 6 linebackers, so he still has a long road to ho.I think he will need to really impress with whatever time he get on the field I also think he has had better showings than two of there second team linebackers but NFL coaches have a hard time getting over size issues.Another possible situation he accept's a practice team spot if a team wants to keep someone around they will put them on practice team at a higher rate of pay there they can be brought up in a injury situation (much like Bighill last year)giving them more chances to impress and another shot at making the team next year,with all that said I think with enough game reps he could beat out some of the second team guys.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Solo is listed with the Vikings at 6', 230 lbs. With the Lions, he was listed at 225 lbs.

Bighill is listed at 5'10", 230 with the Leos.

Size wise, not much difference.

If Solo was released by the Vikings, and if he failed to catch on with another NFL team, IMO the Lions would face a difficult decision. Do we even sign him? The CFL rosters are just so small. As I stated earlier, IMO it would be a mistake to start him over Bighill or McKenzie, both of whom are playing excellent football. On a CFL roster, Solo would want to start. The Lions would probably not give him that opportunity over the guys we have now.

Would Solo sign for what the Lions can afford under the SMS?

Wally and his guys might figure out how to make it work, but IMO it is more likely that we have seen the last of Solo with the Lions. He might stick in the NFL, and if he comes back to the CFL, he might find it a difficult fit with the Lions. And yet, he is a helluva player. The Lions might find a way to fit him in. I loved him when he was here. If Bighill had not shown his outstanding ability, I might be suffering from Solo withdrawal. Not suffering as things stand now.

Anyway, as I have said, I am more than happy with Bighill and McKenzie (and Reddick at hybrid). It is always nice to have depth, but in some circumstances, with a particular player, it doesn't work out.

Similar with Manny A. If he came back, would you put him ahead of Ernest Jackson? Not necessarily IMO. And I loved what Manny A brought to the team. Would we be able to give Manny the money he wants under the SMS? More likely, if he came back to the CFL, it would be with another team. Just IMO ...
SammyGreene
Team Captain

From LU's story in January:
the free agent list includes a pair of two-time league all-stars, tackle Aaron Hunt and kicker Paul McCallum. It also contains four defensive starters, not counting linebacker Solomon Elimimian, still currently making the rounds testing his NFL fortunes before his CFL rights revert back to the Lions next month.
So if he is released he remains BC property for the balance of this season on the option year of his original deal. That's going to be peanuts and might as well have him on the active roster trying to win another championship. And with Stubler's innovative schemes maybe there is a way to have Solo, Bighill and Mackenize on the field causing havoc. That would leave the off-season to decide which way Wally wants to go with Elimimian. I think Olafioye is still on his rookie deal too and is due for a massive raise next season if his NFL ambitions are indeed over.