Messam signs with the Miami Dolphins

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Tighthead
Legend

ziggy wrote:I'd have to disagree. I think the signing bonus is the only( albeit sometimes small by NFL standards), committment the team makes to the player. If you don't even have to offer the guy any cash up front, how serious are you? How worried are you he's going to get a better offer, than nothing?
Every pro team wants to pay every player as little as possible.

If Miami offers 0, and the player gets a better offer, the agent will come back to Miami and try to get more. The player and the agent are trying to max his value.

If you can get away with 0, you do it.

Edit to add: Obviously, value and committment have a relation. If a team is willing to meet the market value of a player (say 50K), they have some faith in that player. I just think that if they could pay him less they would.
Rammer
Team Captain

ziggy wrote:I'd have to disagree. I think the signing bonus is the only( albeit sometimes small by NFL standards), committment the team makes to the player. If you don't even have to offer the guy any cash up front, how serious are you? How worried are you he's going to get a better offer, than nothing?
Signing bonus only guarantees you a meal ticket. It is your ability that feeds you for the remainder of your life.

Signed,

Stephan Logan
Entertainment value = an all time low
ziggy
Legend

Rammer wrote:
Signing bonus only guarantees you a meal ticket. It is your ability that feeds you for the remainder of your life.

Signed,

Stephan Logan
Give someone something for nothing and thats what its worth. A bird in the hand is worth more than none in the bush :beer:
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The NFL seems to have done away with signing bonuses for ex-CFLers, replacing them with back-end "guarantees" that aren't as guaranteed as they look. It's become more risky for a CFLer to give up an established position for at least half a season to try to crack an NFL roster.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Good luck to him. I hope the bright lights and big temptations of a Miami don't send this one astray. He seems to have trouble in that department.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
joe kapp22
Legend

cromartie wrote:SolE can be a quality special teams guy in the NFL.

Messam is fodder. No bonus and you walk in with the upside of third on the depth chart as a best case scenario. Didn't work out that well for Mallett, no reason to see it will work out any better for Messam. Some guys are better off staying in the CFL. Messam is one of them.
He's a good pickup as a Rb should be able to play in either league, and I "think" he did get a bonus as he mentioned the Dolphins were talking with him for 2 yrs prior to signing, he also injured a calf or hammy which kept interest in him down a bit.

As a Dolphin fan, I'm ecstatic over this and hope he blows up the NFL.

FWIW, he also talked about what happened with Paris Jackson in 2010
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.