CFL Draft Thread for May 6, 2013 ... Picks & Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

MexicoLionFan
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:
OV - 54:40 wrote:One of the best CFL draft classes in years upcoming for 2012, IMO; a good number of blue chip types and lots of depth maybe.

And WCJ - D-line is maybe the strongest, deepest group there: several good DEs - Crawford (probably NFL bound though), Gascon-Nadon (Laval)(going to the US Shrine game), Pall (former D player of the year in a US ball conference); Hazime (DI starter); Bilikudi has played both DT & DE, but more likely looked at for DT in the CFL with good size; Atkinson and Van Praeet (Western) are both big DTs, and Jake Thomas (Acadia) is a play-making DT.

If the Lions are losing Mitchell (plus is B. Johnson coming back for another year?) - they could maybe look to the draft for new D-linemen; and on a related note - the Argos just announced the signing of FA former BC 09 draft pick - Jon Pierre-Etienne - had a very good season at U Montreal as a top CIS pass rushing DE last season - i guess Wally lost track of him or gave up on him?
Looks like some good ones there, OV.

Wally and his personnel guys, Benevides, McAvoy and Shivers have done a very good job stocking the cupboard. Except at NI D Line. Looks like there are some good prospects there this year. Those of us that see Brent Johnson play a lot think he can go another year. I hope so. Without that NI D Lineman there is no way we can dress 6 D Linemen as we did in the playoffs this year, with great success.

I agree WCJ...the one area that we have been negligent with is Canadian DLine...and we must address it in a significant way come the draft...whether Wally has to make a trade or not, we need to draft a strong candidate for the DLine...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The risk of dressing five import D-lineman, as we did at the end of the season, is just to high. We went into both playoff games with only four import DBs on the active roster. One injury in the secondary can be extremely costly without adequate backup. I'd love to see the Lions start grooming a couple of top-quality non-imports who can play the interior DL and DE positions.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

No question we need non import help on the defensive line. That is the #1 priority IMO
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:The risk of dressing five import D-lineman, as we did at the end of the season, is just to high. We went into both playoff games with only four import DBs on the active roster. One injury in the secondary can be extremely costly without adequate backup. I'd love to see the Lions start grooming a couple of top-quality non-imports who can play the interior DL and DE positions.
Well worth the gamble, IMO. Even in the western final, we were OK after 2 guys got temporarily dinged.

Another factor is Reddick at Linebacker. He can switch to DB in a pinch.

There are ways to dress 6 D Linemen. But we do obviously need at least one NI D Lineman. In view of the success of the 6 man rotatation in the final two games, I hope we find a way to continue that next year. As you know, I was pushing for it since training camp. LOL. I finally got my wish. :thup:
joe kapp22
Legend

Etienne, our 09 draftee, signed with the Argos.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
David
Team Captain

I wonder if the club plans on bringing Chris Hodgson back to camp next year? I know he was a project - not many 6th rounders crack a CFL roster - but he did have a lot of raw athletic ability until his season ending (knee?) injury.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Anglophone
All Star

We've needed NI DL help for years now. Hopefully this will be addressed this year, because we're headed for a major ratio headache when Johnson finally retires.
OV - 54:40
Champion

Anglophone wrote:We've needed NI DL help for years now. Hopefully this will be addressed this year, because we're headed for a major ratio headache when Johnson finally retires.

And why is that? Even if Johnson is gone - there's at least 3 O-Linemen, 3 or 4 potential starting NI receivers, plus Harris at tailback, Lumbala at fullback (for some formations) - could easily go with 7 NI starters on offence alone and then theoretically have all imports starting on D; not that upgrading all areas of the roster - at all position groups, and both import and NI - shouldn't be a goal, but the whole "ratio problem" issue is often over-stated and a CFL cliche. Another good NI D-Lineman would be nice to find; maybe try and find a top notch play-making safety if that position is pencilled in for a Canadian; not sure if Davis Sanchez is going to return for another season?; Yurichuck and Gesse are a couple of good NI linebackers - even it's only as back-ups and special teamers, but i believe they can contribute on D. LOTS of options for NI players to help/play, seems to me.

But if NI D-line is a big priority, this could be a very good draft crop to get some help there; not sure why Pierre-Etienne wasn't still considered a prospect worth bringing back? - after he had a very good CIS season making plays at DE.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

OV - 54:40 wrote: But if NI D-line is a big priority, this could be a very good draft crop to get some help there; not sure why Pierre-Etienne wasn't still considered a prospect worth bringing back? - after he had a very good CIS season making plays at DE.
Fifth round pick. It seems to me the Lions for years have planned to only have Brent Johnson as a Canadian D Lineman. Or they have not made acquiring a high level one a priority. Or they have been disappointed in their picks. Or they underestimated the importance of the need. Dunno.

But it has certainly been a concern of some of us fans.

In the western playoff and the Grey Cup, it seems to me our six man rotation really gave us an energetic push. Hopefully the results were satisfying enough that we seek to continue that. Two NIs and four imports On the D Line would be a good mix.

That seems like the top priority to me. Good to see some top prospects there. We will see ...
David
Team Captain

OV - 54:40 wrote:not sure if Davis Sanchez is going to return for another season?
I read about a month ago that Wally has told him work out this off-season with an eye towards bringing him back for another season.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://blogs.leaderpost.com/2012/01/17/ ... prospects/
Posted on Jan 13, 2012 The latest on the draft class of 2012 from CFL headquarters:

TORONTO, ON – (January 17, 2011) - University of Saskatchewan offensive lineman Ben Heenan continues to be the top ranked prospect for this year’s Canadian Draft, the Canadian Football League Scouting Bureau announced today.

But despite Heenan’s hold on top of the ranking, there was plenty of movement below him, including the biggest change, the addition of Boise State defensive end Tyrone Crawford at the number two spot. Crawford was not included in the first scouting bureau ranking because he had not yet been declared eligible for the upcoming Canadian draft.

Four other players cracked the ranking for the first time, including Wofford defensive end Ameet Pall (7), McMaster offensive lineman and Vanier Cup champion Jason Medeiros (10), Laval defensive end Arnaud Gascon-Nadon (13) and Queen’s receiver Johnny Aprile (14).

The ranking includes five offensive lineman, four receivers, four defensive ends, a linebacker and a defensive back.

The Saskatchewan Roughriders currently hold the top pick in the 2012 CFL Canadian Draft. Click here for the draft order.

The CFL’s Scouting Bureau is comprised of CFL scouts, player personnel directors and general managers from the league’s eight teams.

Here is the full list:

1 (1) Ben Heenan, OL, Saskatchewan

2 (-) Tyrone Crawford, DE, Boise State

3 (3) Austin Pasztor, OL, Virgina

4 (2) Shamawd Chambers, R, Wilfrid Laurier

5 (5) Kirby Fabien, OL, Calgary

6 (4) Frederic Plesius, LB, Laval

7 (-) Ameet Pall, DE, Wofford

8 (7) Bryce McCall, DB, Saskatchewan

9 (8) Simon Charbonneau-Campeau, R, Sherbrooke

10 (-) Jason Medeiros, OL, McMaster

11 (6) Ismael Bamba, R, Sherbrooke

12 (13) Christo Bilukidi, DE, Georgia State

13 (-) Arnaud Gascon-Nadon, DE, Laval

14 (-) Johnny Aprile, R, Queen’s

15 (11) Matt Norman, OL, Western Ontario
Crawford, Pall, Bilukidi, Gascon-Nadon. Hopefully we get at least one of these guys for the D Line.
10. Hasan Hazime Akron Pickering, Ont. DE 6-5 270
Has fallen off the top list.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.cfl.ca/article/ubc-s-greene- ... ton-trophy
J.P. METRAS TROPHY – Arnaud Gascon-Nadon (Laval)

Gascon-Nadon, who also claimed the J.P. Metras trophy a year ago, became the first multiple winner of the award since its inception back in 1974. His stellar play this fall helped the Rouge et Or finish atop the RSEQ standings with an 8-1 mark and earned him a spot on the first all-Canadian team for the second year in a row.

In his second season at Laval, the 6-foot-3, 250-pound independent studies student tallied 13.5 tackles in nine conference games including seven quarterback sacks, which ranked fourth in the country, and nine tackles for losses, the fifth highest total in the RSEQ.

He also forced a fumble, recovered another, and scored the first touchdown of his CIS career on a 19-yard interception return. The native of Montreal was the anchor of a defensive unit that finished first in CIS for least points allowed for the fourth straight year (12.0 ppg) – and for the sixth time in eight campaigns – and was the stingiest in the nation against the run (53.7 ypg).

After three honour-filled seasons with Cegep du Vieux-Montreal, Gascon-Nadon started his university career in the NCAA with the Rice Owls in 2008, earning a spot on the Conference USA all-rookie team. He represented Canada at the 2007 world junior championship in Florida.

“Arnaud is a dominating force at the defensive end position. He is blessed with a rare combination of speed, power and ultimately explosiveness. He is equally effective versus the run as well as the pass,” said Laval head coach Glen Constantin.

“There is no doubt that opposing offensive coordinators need to account for him on all plays. He plays the game with great intensity and passion. Arnaud is relentless and his energy level is contagious, making him a great leader.”

The other finalists for the Metras trophy were Acadia defensive tackle Jake Thomas, Queen’s defensive end Osie Ukwuoma and Regina defensive end Akiem Hicks.
“Arnaud is a dominating force at the defensive end position. He is blessed with a rare combination of speed, power and ultimately explosiveness. He is equally effective versus the run as well as the pass,” said Laval head coach Glen Constantin.

“There is no doubt that opposing offensive coordinators need to account for him on all plays. He plays the game with great intensity and passion. Arnaud is relentless and his energy level is contagious, making him a great leader.”

About the size of Ricky Foley. 6'3", 250 lbs. Sounds like he plays the game that way too.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have the fourth and seventh picks. They could get a DE prospect with one of those picks. They did well last year to pick up Marco Iannuzzi with the sixth overall pick. Even though he was the fourth receiver selected, Iannuzzi did more in his first year than any drafted Lions receiver since Jason Clermont in 2002.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:The Lions have the fourth and seventh picks. They could get a DE prospect with one of those picks. They did well last year to pick up Marco Iannuzzi with the sixth overall pick. Even though he was the fourth receiver selected, Iannuzzi did more in his first year than any drafted Lions receiver since Jason Clermont in 2002.
Yes.

And with four or possibly five top rated D Line prospects, we have a very good chance to land a couple of them. IMO D Line Non-Imports need to be stocked up in our cupboard. I would hope that Brent Johnson stays one more year. I thought he played well last year.
OV - 54:40
Champion

WestCoastJoe wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:The Lions have the fourth and seventh picks. They could get a DE prospect with one of those picks. They did well last year to pick up Marco Iannuzzi with the sixth overall pick. Even though he was the fourth receiver selected, Iannuzzi did more in his first year than any drafted Lions receiver since Jason Clermont in 2002.
Yes.

And with four or possibly five top rated D Line prospects, we have a very good chance to land a couple of them. IMO D Line Non-Imports need to be stocked up in our cupboard. I would hope that Brent Johnson stays one more year. I thought he played well last year.

Crawford is maybe a pretty good bet to draw some NFL interest from what i've read in some scouting reports; so maybe a gamble to take him in the first round where the Lions have #s 4 & 7 overall ? (see Atogwe, Rob Meier, etc.); a bunch of other good D-line prospects are up in this draft, and maybe the Lions could wait till #14 overall to address that position and still get one of Gascon-Nadon or Paal or Hazime; Bilikudi is an interesting prospect - good size and has played both DT & DE in US college ball - maybe more a DT for the CFL; and a couple of good CIS DTs - Thomas (Acadia) and Van Praaet (Western) might be available still in the later rounds.

Good chance Wally could still address D-Line somewhere in this seemingly deep draft year and still use the 2 first rounders to get a couple of blue chippers at other positions; we shall see, but there should be lots of opportunity to get at least one pretty decent D-Lineman (either DT or DE) in this draft; and be interesting to see if Stubler wants to go with a lot of the 3-4 look he likes - in both Toronto and Edmonton they deployed NIs mostly at the nose/DT spot, but the Lions have plenty of strenght at DT already - Mitchell and Taylor in a rotation at DT; Hunt could move to DE? - but they may want to play more of 4-3 with a bunch of quality D-Linemen on the roster? Might see no real need to have any NI D-linemen on the game roster?