B.C. Place Pix ... and Comments ...

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Wakesbetterthanyou wrote:
Reginaldo wrote:Wait a minute! I thought that Telus was negotiating for the naming rights..in which case it will be forever known as the...wait for it..."The Phone booth"
They've been calling Rogers arena the phonebooth or the rog for a year. Kinda stale.
Closer to ancient that stale. That handle was put on the MCI Centre when the Washington Capital's moved into it back in 1997.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/chris_schultz/?id=377342

Nice article by Chris Schultz about renovated B.C. Place ...
SCHULTZ: RENOVATED B.C. PLACE AMONG WORLD'S BEST STADIUMS

I worry a lot.

I really do.

I worry about this, I worry about that, and I worry about the CFL.

I always have concerns about in stadium attendance, the quality and integrity of the game, if television ratings are improving. And if the ratings aren't improving well then I accept responsibility and start to worry about… ME.

But after being in B.C. Place Stadium last Friday night I no longer have any concerns about the B.C. Lions. As we rode to the stadium Friday morning we joked about what you can get for $500 million dollars.

As we found out, you get a lot.

I always enjoyed playing in B.C. Place. It was my favourite road stadium to experience.

Now, I wish I was still playing.

The newly renovated stadium is sensory overload. The first thing you notice is how bright and filled with natural light the place is. Then you notice how it changes colours constantly as advertising bands that ring the stadium cycle.

I think I experienced every colour imaginable, and some combinations of colours that I had never imagined.

And yes, the new building is loud. But I like loud. I have always liked loud music, crowds, traffic and so on.

Loud wakes me up, silence puts me to sleep.

Then there is the field. The field is purrfect, almost surreal in its perfection.

And the jumbotron scoreboard hanging above is hypnotic. I was fortunate enough to be at Cowboys Stadium on Monday and B.C. Place on Friday. In physical size, the scoreboard in Dallas is second to none. But the one in B.C. Place is definitely a close second. Both are massive and crystal clear.

The seats are new as well. Gone are the old light blue ones. The new ones are a mix of light burgundy, red and grey patterned with a purpose that I have I have yet to figure out.

The roof is a marvel of technology. When I was at Cowboys Stadium I understood why students study architecture. B.C. place made me understand why students study engineering.

Now, will all of this make a difference in B.C. Lion football?

The answer is yes. The new stadium means instantaneous atmosphere for the ticket holder and instantaneous home field advantage for the Lions.

To all those involved, from the creative side, to the money side, and to the significant human labour: you all deserve a huge pat on the back. It truly is a job well done.

When you see college football stadiums NFL stadiums in the U.S. you see how they set the standard for being impressive and unique. And without reservation, you see how the stadium experience plays a big time factor in the game.

Well B.C. place is big time. It is as impressive as any of the top Stadiums in the U.S. and better than the rest.

There is nothing more important to the Canadian Football League than the CFL fan.

Presenting an atmosphere of sensory overload and of quality like that of B.C. Place makes coming to the stadium and paying your money truly worthwhile. Even if the game is only average or the home team is having an off-night you know you are going to enjoy the evening.

I have great memories of B.C. Place: The 1987 Grey Cup, an Argos-Lions game in 1990 that produced 100 points and many other moments of football excellence.

Now in 2011, I have a new memory of a terrific night and money well spent.

Congratulations to everyone involved with B.C. Place stadium on a job well done.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I hope someone convert a B.C. Place pic into new Lions' wallpaper. I'm sick of looking at Geroy walking through the white fabric tunnel at Empire every time I sign on.
Zarquon
Champion

DId you try and find your self yet on http://gigapan.org/gigapans/89039/
Meus occupatio est ut calcitro vestri clunis.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

I have great memories of B.C. Place: an Argos-Lions game in 1990 that produced 100 points and many other moments of football excellence.
I wonder what game Chris Schultz is referring to. There was a 68–43 loss to the Argonauts in the 1990 season, but that game was played in Toronto. Or is he referring to the 52–41 win in 1991 that was played in BC Place, but the game did not produce more than 100 points.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:
I have great memories of B.C. Place: an Argos-Lions game in 1990 that produced 100 points and many other moments of football excellence.
I wonder what game Chris Schultz is referring to. There was a 68–43 loss to the Argonauts in the 1990 season, but that game was played in Toronto. Or is he referring to the 52–41 win in 1991 that was played in BC Place, but the game did not produce more than 100 points.
That was over 20 years ago; he's probably conflated them both in his mind without double checking all the facts and figures.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
Robbie wrote:
That was over 20 years ago; he's probably conflated them both in his mind without double checking all the facts and figures.
Did you see those eyeglasses he left on a table in the TSN studio. Someone snagged them and passed them to Dave Randorf. The whole panel was bugging 'Shultzie' during one of the games Saturday. I think his lenses could stop a bullet!