If there were a change at OC....

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

West Coast Blue Fan wrote:Ritchie is almost 75, let it go. He's not coming back.
He would have come back last season if he was given the reigns to do it his way. Don't see much difference between 74 and 75.
Entertainment value = an all time low
sasklionsfan
Rookie

The thing is we were running two backs on passing plays last night and still got picked apart. We either need to dumb down the offense or get some lineman who actually want to block. This is getting pathetic, 5 sacks in consecutive games, less than 200 yards passing for our qbs in at least 3-4 straight games, and a retarded 20 points a game. I haven't been a diehard fan for long, only since '06, but I never thought I'd see us drop this low. Wally has to take the initiative and fire Chapdelaine, either give the OC job to Dorazio or take it on himself. If Braley wants fans in the stands in BC, he has to salvage this season somewhat. We just can't give on this season, there are 11 games to go. There might still be someway to sneak into the playoffs if we can pull our comeback magic. We just need to make some changes..... and soon. :bang: :wag: :juggle: :pray:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I wonder what Christy Buono would have done ? Perhaps she has a left tackle in mind
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote: He would have come back last season if he was given the reigns to do it his way. Don't see much difference between 74 and 75.
One would have to think Ritchie's visit last year prepared the way for bringing in help for Benevides this year.

Watched some of the Peg/Ham game. Hamilton looked pretty good. No sacks allowed. And when I think back to our game vs the Riders, it was like a Green Avalanche or Tidal Wave rolling over Jarious Jackson. It's always that way for our QBs. Facing an avalanche, running for their lives, getting pounded.
Rodu
Champion

it would be nice to get our hands on some actual left and right tackles, not converted d-lineman or converted guards
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Just to keep things on track, this is a "what if" kind of question. There are merits for both sides of the "do it, don't do it now" points of view. The goal is to think about who might be a decent candidate for the OC position. Even if nothing happens at all, it is a thought piece. There has been much discussion over the last few seasons about "Chapball" with most opinion decidedly unfavorable. So if he were to be gone, who do people see as possible replacements. What does the collective community want from an OC and who might be able to fill that role.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I would like to see a more creative, less predictable and aggressive offence that force the opposition to defend the entire length and width of the CFL field. An offence that's not afraid to go deep, running game, draws, screens, sweeps, slants, hitch pass, shovel pass, traps, delays and quarterback rollouts. An offence which gives the opposition different looks,
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I'd like to see Kent Austin as OC but it would probably take a HC/GM job offer to get him away from university of Buffalo or where ever it is he is coachi9ng and he still might not be interested in leaving the college coaching ranks. :pray:
cromartie
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:I'd like to see Kent Austin as OC but it would probably take a HC/GM job offer to get him away from university of Buffalo or where ever it is he is coachi9ng and he still might not be interested in leaving the college coaching ranks. :pray:
Kent Austin is now the Head Coach at Cornell, but I don't know if Danny Barrett stayed at Buffalo or left after Turner Gill moved on to Kansas.
bbking
Starter

Give it to Worman. If it doesn't improve by year end, find someone else. I Honestly think that anyone can not be worse than this. It would give the fans and players some renewed hope, even if it doesn't work out.
“It just shows,” he said to the reporters, “that you guys don’t always see what you think you see.”
Ravi
Legend

cromartie wrote:
DanoT wrote:I'd like to see Kent Austin as OC but it would probably take a HC/GM job offer to get him away from university of Buffalo or where ever it is he is coachi9ng and he still might not be interested in leaving the college coaching ranks. :pray:
Kent Austin is now the Head Coach at Cornell, but I don't know if Danny Barrett stayed at Buffalo or left after Turner Gill moved on to Kansas.
From what I can tell, Barrett appears to be unemployed currently. He has worked with Wally in the past so he might not be a bad option for OC to replace Chapdelaine.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I really like the idea of Danny Barrett as OC. IMO ex qbs are usually a natural as a play caller and actually I miss the days when qbs called their own plays.
Blitz
Team Captain

It would never happen but if it was up to me...I would fire Chapdelaine and hire Steve Kruck as offensive coordinator.

He should never have been let go but as a former co-offensive coordinator and a coach who had also called plays, I wasn't surprised he was let go as the Chap was named offensive coordinator again in title. Kruck, being the only guy who could have replaced Chap in calling plays was going to be a potential threat to Chapdelaine.

Why would I bring Kruck in? He knows our offence so the change would not be too drastic. Seconly, Wally is afraid to go outside for this position. Thirdly, Kruck did a great job in 2007, calling plays. He really changed things up offensively, while still using the original Hufnagel offence. Hufnagel also consulted with Kruck and influenced him. Finally Kruck understands the game from the eyes of a quarterback, while Chap knows the game from the eyes of a receiver.

Of course it won't happen. Buono is so loyal to Chap, it seems like he's his son or something. I don't get it.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:I really like the idea of Danny Barrett as OC. IMO ex qbs are usually a natural as a play caller and actually I miss the days when qbs called their own plays.
Are you serious!? Wally knows that ex-QBs make lousy OC/play callers! We use ex-receivers and O line coaches. To the great success you see today.
tigerrr22
Starter

I agree with LOOOOOO! Ritchie was a great coach. (I remember the accidental hit he took on the sideline in a game against Saskatchewan. He kept on coaching the game.) But health issues and being in his mid seventies is not realistic now. The coaching staff needs good motivators. Good at developing and improving young players. Danny Maciocia would be a good fit as OC moving forward. Player contacts. A great motivator. Likeable and with media savy. Also I don't think Benevides is too young to be the Lions next head coach. John Gruden. John Madden. Mike Riley. It really is becoming a younger mans job today. (In there mid 30's and 40's.) long hours. Stress. Energy needed day in and day out. You need to be fit and a youthful swagger can connect better with the modern athlete than the older, formal and intimidating coaches of yesterday. I'd like to see this BC Lions staff next year in BC:

GM: Wally Buono.
HC: Dave Benevides
DC: Rich Stubler
OC: Danny Maciocia
QB's: #1Ray, #2Printers, #3Lulay.

Dominic In Vancouver :beauty:

P.S. Matt Dunigan is too cool on TSN these days to be a head coach in BC next season!