“We don’t know squat,” admits Hamilton Councillor

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Lionheart
Hall of Famer

I don't believe Bob has any intentions of selling the team.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Lionheart wrote:I don't believe Bob has any intentions of selling the team.
I doubt it's his first idea to move the team but OTOH, he can't play without a stadium either. His primary point about the location was to provide a financially viable solution.

Ivor Wynn is not viable so how much longer is he willing to bleed money? He was willing to put in a lot of his money into a new stadium in what he deemed a good location.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

I"m trying to figure out what you're saying here. I think you believe that the only way out of Hamilton is to sell the franchise to Otawa? Well no why would that be? We know there are other viable options, and now we know a great 28,000 temp stadium can be built in weeks for next to nothing.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Lionheart wrote:I"m trying to figure out what you're saying here. I think you believe that the only way out of Hamilton is to sell the franchise to Otawa? Well no why would that be? We know there are other viable options, and now we know a great 28,000 temp stadium can be built in weeks for next to nothing.
It's not the only way, it's just an option. If he wants to keep the franchise in Hamilton but can't, then he my not want a franchise at all.

While a temp stadium can be built for $16M, that doesn't resolve a new permanent stadium. It becomes a rental for perhaps 1 1/2 seasons as it will be for the Lions.

Is it worth $16 million for Young to play 10 - 20 home games ( regular and pre- season home games over 2 years )?

IIRC, he was going to invest $74M for the new permanent stadium.

Why would he be willing to shell out another $16M while local government decides on something that works for him?

I don't know what Young is thinking but I am concerned that he may not be interested in a franchise outside of Hamilton and he may not want to continue to lose money at Ivor Wynn.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

It would obviously be better for Ottawa to gain an existing franchise instead of getting to draft players and building a team from scratch. Keep in mind that coaches and executives would also be in place. Not a bad deal for a team in Ottawa.

As obvious, that would be very bad for Hamilton to lose the Ti Cats.

I doubt a new owner will step forward to buy the Ti Cats to remain in Hamilton if Young won't. Aside from Ottawa, what other city has an interest and a stadium that would relocate the team besides Ottawa?

So. While it's not a strong possibility, there is a chance that the franchise is turned over to the league and that is flipped to Ottawa.

Solves one problem but allows the CFL to continue with 8 teams.

I'd rather have a team in Hamilton in a new stadium that would make financial sense and a new team in Ottawa as my first choice.

I'm just saying that the Ti Cats folding is not out of the question.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Blue In BC wrote:It would obviously be better for Ottawa to gain an existing franchise instead of getting to draft players and building a team from scratch.
Ok Andrew, honestly tell me you didn't give that comment much thought. That would be the worst way to get a franchise. You must have been distracted.

Sorry, I mean Dale.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Lionheart wrote:
Blue In BC wrote:It would obviously be better for Ottawa to gain an existing franchise instead of getting to draft players and building a team from scratch.
Ok Andrew, honestly tell me you didn't give that comment much thought. That would be the worst way to get a franchise. You must have been distracted.

Sorry, I mean Dale.
No. I was quite serious. What if the worst happens in Hamilton and the Ti Cats fold during what would seem to be the same time line for Ottawa to return in 2012 tentatively?

Would it make sense to have a dispersal draft at the same time as an entry draft? The Ti Cats have been getting better the past couple of years.

For a minute, forget that a franchise has been awarded to Ottawa.

Isn't a relocation of a team a better idea.

There would be many issues to resolve since there was a new franchise awarded in Ottawa.

Ultimately the question lies with Bob Young and what he'd plan to do if a new stadium is not built.

BTW: IMHO there is 0% chance that a relocation could be done to Empire Field. Not only because the market place is having enough difficulties supporting one team, but because it is a temporary rented stadium.

I suppose if the market place could support two teams, they'd both place at the refurbished BC Place. Seriously. BC Place is undergoing a $450M rebuild and it's being suggested a team would play at a $16M stadium?

I'm not advocating the demise of the Ti Cats. I would be in favor of a team in both Hamilton and Ottawa.

I'm also not against the Ti Cats having to relocate rather than folding. If that can be done in Quebec City, Moncton, Halifax or other to be named, that's ok too.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

I shall repeat: The WORST way for Ottawa to get a franchise is from an existing team. After all the decades of survival the loss of a franchise would be an extreme loss... especially after the CFL has been growing the last few years. If we lose a team we all lose.

Option One: Expansion team.

Last and least acceptable option: (for all including Ottawa) franchise relocation.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Lionheart wrote:I shall repeat: The WORST way for Ottawa to get a franchise is from an existing team. After all the decades of survival the loss of a franchise would be an extreme loss... especially after the CFL has been growing the last few years. If we lose a team we all lose.

Option One: Expansion team.

Last and least acceptable option: (for all including Ottawa) franchise relocation.
So if Hamilton did fold in the same time as Ottawa re-entering, you'd rather have a dispersal draft and an entry draft as a preferable situation?

I guess we'll agree to disagree.

However, I did say I'd rather gain a 9 th team in Ottawa and a relocation of the Ticats if it came down to a choice to them folding or ending up with 9 teams.

What would you suggest happens with the Ti Cats if Bob Young throws in the towel for he 2012 season? Is he going to blink before the politicians in Hamilton?

Or is David Braley going to buy them and own 3 teams?
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Blue In BC wrote:[
However, I did say I'd rather gain a 9 th team in Ottawa and a relocation of the Ticats if it came down to a choice to them folding or ending up with 9 teams.
Now you're contradicting yourself. Would you think it's better for Ottawa to gain it's team through a new franchise or a relocation? You did start out by saying first "it's best option is through a relocation" .. So, which way is best?
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Lionheart wrote:
Blue In BC wrote:[
Now you're contradicting yourself. Would you think it's better for Ottawa to gain it's team through a new franchise or a relocation? You did start out by saying first "it's best option is through a relocation" .. So, which way is best?
The context of the comment was IF and ONLY IF the TiCats were folding. Ottawa gaining an existing functional team would be preferable than trying to build a new franchise from the draft.

We've seen how well that worked in Ottawa before.

Take the USA Baltimore back to Montreal CFL senario as an example. Franchise in Baltimore was folding regardless. Montreal wanted a new team.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Blue In BC wrote:It would obviously be better for Ottawa to gain an existing franchise instead of getting to draft players and building a team from scratch. Keep in mind that coaches and executives would also be in place. Not a bad deal for a team in Ottawa.

As obvious, that would be very bad for Hamilton to lose the Ti Cats.

I doubt a new owner will step forward to buy the Ti Cats to remain in Hamilton if Young won't. Aside from Ottawa, what other city has an interest and a stadium that would relocate the team besides Ottawa?

So. While it's not a strong possibility, there is a chance that the franchise is turned over to the league and that is flipped to Ottawa.

Solves one problem but allows the CFL to continue with 8 teams.

I'd rather have a team in Hamilton in a new stadium that would make financial sense and a new team in Ottawa as my first choice.

I'm just saying that the Ti Cats folding is not out of the question.
But where would they play in Ottawa?

The reconstruction completion date of Frank Clair is set for June 7, 2013, and the Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group plans to have the Rough Riders in there right after opening. Not much room for TiCats before that date...
Area51
All Star

I congratulate the mayor of Hamilton for standing up and refusing to be dictated to by Bob Young. If Young wants the stadium to be on the mountain there's a real simple solution to make this happen - - pay for it yourself. But is Young willing to fund the entire stadium cost? Not a chance.

Not sure if he realizes it or not, but Young has zero leverage in terms of his hollow threats to move the team. I really hope they call his bluff and sit back to wait for the moving trucks to arrive. There's no other viable options for a CFL team in Canada. What market has the facilities for it? None.

As for the Pan-Am games "pulling out" of Hamilton that'd be the best thing that could happen to the city. Does the Pan-Am committee not yet understand that they're nothing more than a fourth rate athletic competition that nobody outside the competitors and their immediate family cares about?