Congrats Als

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
Ballistic Bob wrote:Its a tainted championship. Id sooner have had Duval make his first attempt than that 33 yard gimme. BB
It would have been exponentially more tainted if Ssk had won it on the last play with an extra man on the field. :ref: The 13th man belongs in the stands.
Absolutely. Stuff like this happens. Back on September 12 Central Michigan was on the road against Michigan State and was down 27-26 with seconds remaining. They attempted a 47 yard FG which went wide. Sparty started to celebrate. But wait! A flag! Spartans offside! Central got a do over. It was good. Central goes crazy. Final score: CMU 29 - MSU 27.

Now this of course was not a championship game but it was a huge game for a program from the smaller Mid American Conference up against a comparative heavyweight from the Big 10 in their 75,000 seat building. It was a signature win for the CMU program.
korey&dante4ever
Champion

This was not a tainted championship at all..
a)the right call was made
b)we'll be talking about this for years and years and years... (If you think its a historic moment a half hour after the game, it's going to be HUGE 30 years down the road.. this 13th man thing, is just ... wow)
c)WHAT AN ENDING..
d)WOW

i texted my friends before the start of the game.. the message read: "this will be one of the greatest games we will witness in our lifetimes".. and it was..
The reason i sent that was because this GC was played: by a team with the best talent vs. the most resilient team i have ever witnessed in any sport...
SOMETHING had to give...
-Believes in building from the trenches outwards. A great O-Line and D-Line guarantees an above average team.
-A coach that has to give a motivational pregame speech is probably a coach that is insecure about his game plan.
David
Team Captain

I had the same suspicion it was going to be "epic" too. I didn't buy into the, what was it, 9 point or 10 point spread? I just said to one of my buddies who's from Regina, "if the Riders win I owe you $20, but if the Als win, you owe me $15. Fair?" Let's just say by the middle of the 3rd quarter I was resigned to forking over.

BTW, what was Damon Duvall so giddy about after the game? He was like a little school girl, running up and down the sidelines high fiving the Als faithful well after the game was over, and he could scarcely contain himself when interviewed by Farhan Lalji. Sure, I get the magnitude of kicking the winning field goal, BUT....

I'm thinking to myself, "Dude - you nearly coughed up fur balls when the game was on the line, and your lousy punting all afternoon cost your team valuable field position. Just take it, celebrate, get in the locker room, and lie low."

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
nelson95
Legend

The refs blew the conversion call, they had no choice but to call too many men
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

David wrote:

BTW, what was Damon Duvall so giddy about after the game? He was like a little school girl, running up and down the sidelines high fiving the Als faithful well after the game was over, and he could scarcely contain himself when interviewed by Farhan Lalji. Sure, I get the magnitude of kicking the winning field goal, BUT....

I'm thinking to myself, "Dude - you nearly coughed up fur balls when the game was on the line, and your lousy punting all afternoon cost your team valuable field position. Just take it, celebrate, get in the locker room, and lie low."

DH
Probably saved him from being the goat of the game.
Vern Halen
Champion

lion24 wrote:
Ballistic Bob wrote:Its a tainted championship. Id sooner have had Duval make his first attempt than that 33 yard gimme. BB

See 2007 Grey Cup *
How do you figure? Because Dinwiddie started instead of Glenn?

Injuries are part of the game...doesn't mean the Riders didn't deserve the win.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

David wrote: I'm thinking to myself, "Dude - you nearly coughed up fur balls when the game was on the line, and your lousy punting all afternoon cost your team valuable field position. Just take it, celebrate, get in the locker room, and lie low."

DH
A performance worthy of Duncan O'Mahony, but with worse behaviour.

Congrats Als, and Riders, on a great game and a better finish.
David
Team Captain

Solar Max wrote:
David wrote: I'm thinking to myself, "Dude - you nearly coughed up fur balls when the game was on the line, and your lousy punting all afternoon cost your team valuable field position. Just take it, celebrate, get in the locker room, and lie low."

DH

Didn't mean to come across as too harsh, and maybe it was more "relief" than exaltation, but it just struck me a little odd that he was really relishing the role of "hero" when in reality he was one inconsequential flag (to the play anyway) away from losing that game for his team.

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Ballistic Bob
Legend

David wrote:
Solar Max wrote:

DH

Didn't mean to come across as too harsh, and maybe it was more "relief" than exaltation, but it just struck me a little odd that he was really relishing the role of "hero" when in reality he was one inconsequential flag (to the play anyway) away from losing that game for his team.

DH
Your right David. This will be a tainted Championship and I dont even like the Riders. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
Vern Halen
Champion

Ballistic Bob wrote:Your right David. This will be a tainted Championship and I dont even like the Riders. BB
I disagree.

It was a bizarre, heart-wrenching loss, but a loss all the same. No Rider fans that I know will be putting an asterisk beside the 2009 Grey Cup Final Score. I think it's cheesy for Blue Bomber fans to put an asterisk beside the 2007 final score, and I refuse to partake in that sort of thing.

Penalties are part of the game, and so are gaffes.

We lost the game fair and square. We had them down 27-11 but we took our foot off their throats and let them get back up. Not how you win championships.
korey&dante4ever
Champion

I've only heard the words "tainted championship" come from this site... not even Riderfans are saying its tainted.. i dont get where its coming from...
-Believes in building from the trenches outwards. A great O-Line and D-Line guarantees an above average team.
-A coach that has to give a motivational pregame speech is probably a coach that is insecure about his game plan.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Vern Halen wrote:
Ballistic Bob wrote:Your right David. This will be a tainted Championship and I dont even like the Riders. BB
I disagree.

It was a bizarre, heart-wrenching loss, but a loss all the same. No Rider fans that I know will be putting an asterisk beside the 2009 Grey Cup Final Score. I think it's cheesy for Blue Bomber fans to put an asterisk beside the 2007 final score, and I refuse to partake in that sort of thing.

We lost the game fair and square. We had them down 27-11 but we took our foot off their throats and let them get back up. Not how you win championships.
Well said Vern.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

I don't get this tainted stuff, either — sorry, BBob, gotta respectfully disagree here. Too many men is about as cut and dried a call as you can get in this game. We could have, and have had, debates on here about what constitutes such relatively subjective calls as a late hit on the QB, a complete pass, pass interference, the correct spot of the ball, etc, etc, but I don't think we'd get too much divergence of opinion on what too many men means. It happened, and the officials had no choice but to flag it. If they overlooked the call, whether innocently or not, the league's detractors — who are always poised to jump out of the woodwork at the slightest provocation — would have had a field day, and as fans we would have to share in the embarrassment. That, I can live without.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Ballistic Bob
Legend

korey&dante4ever wrote:I've only heard the words "tainted championship" come from this site... not even Riderfans are saying its tainted.. i dont get where its coming from...
Because Duval got a rekick with no time on the clock and 10 yards closer. Rider fans will come around after the "stunned" wears off. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
Big Time
Champion

Vern Halen wrote:
I disagree.

There is absolutely nothing tainted about the Als win. No one is questioning that the penalty was the right call. I've not seen any Rider fan question it. Als won fair and square.

As for 2007, the asterisk is for the salary cap violation that the Riders committed in order to field the team that won the championship. They should not have been able to field that lineup considering their financial mismanagement, but they did and that is what tainted their championship. It has nothing to do with Dinwiddie starting in replace of Glenn. FWIW, I have heard several Riders fans bring up the fact that 2007 was tainted because of this, and many are still sensitive about it today. None of them would give back the championship of course, but it is worth pointing out that the Riders are the only team to violate the salary cap since it came into effect and are widely anticipated to be in violation of it again this year.