riders poised to sign jason clermont

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

Vern Halen wrote:RANDOM THOUGHTS:

This is great news for us, especially me. I've always been a huge fan of Clermont's - tough as nails and a great ambassador for his team and his league.

Now the guy that was wearing a 82 Clermont Rider jersey at this year's Labour Day game looks like freakin' Nostradamus... :rockin:

I am interested to see what Wally has planned for the Lion O - I always thought that JC would be an integral part of ANY offence.

Shouldn't be too much of a problem with the SMS - I can see Sask letting Dominguez go (damaged goods, sadly, he's a great player and great human being) and Flick as well.
I am sure that Wally viewed JC as slightly damaged goods as well, and one of the reasons he was released. We all know how tough JC is, but he had better establish less contact in order to remain in the CFL long term. All the best to JC as a Rider, just not against us so much. :)
Entertainment value = an all time low
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

ziggy wrote:
CartWheelFan wrote:
ziggy wrote:Sometimes you need to wait and see what you get
We got NOTHING. We just released him outright. It's a bum deal. Nough said! Wally must be in full out panic mode because the inevitable comparisons to his tenure in Calgary are starting to pop up. There he was all flash ie great regular season records each year, and no finish ie not nearly enough Grey Cup appreances or wins!
Well not quite, we got 180 K to spend elsewhere. Thats a sizeable chunk of change in the CFL and unless it is foolishly squandered on a player that doesn't pan out, we have not yet got "Nothing". Lets hope it is spent wisely.
According to TSN, a roster bonus of $94,000 was due to JC82 on January 1. The math just didn't add up for JC82 to remain in BC. Even trying to trade him would have been a loss... effectively paying $94K to get a fourth round draft pick.

I don't like seeing JC82 playing elsewhere, but I am OK with how Wally handled this situation.
Rammer
Team Captain

Belize City Lion wrote: According to TSN, a roster bonus of $94,000 was due to JC82 on January 1. The math just didn't add up for JC82 to remain in BC. Even trying to trade him would have been a loss... effectively paying $94K to get a fourth round draft pick.

I don't like seeing JC82 playing elsewhere, but I am OK with how Wally handled this situation.
JC's comments were interesting after the release in that he was happy the way he had his contract structured with Wally, in that it would free him up early if it came to that conclusion. In retrospect, I would contest that it was due to this bonus in January that he is now not a Lion member.

Realistically, I always suspected that JC wouldn't remain a Lion for life, as he should have been, as Wally always seems to make cuts before their time is up. I just didn't expect it to be this season, as he had just re-signed a 2 + 1 for last season. You would think that given the amount of the signing bonus, this was a foregone conclusion in the SMS era. $92K is a huge impact on the bottomline of any CFL team.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

Having a player on ur team their whole career is nice, but when u think about it it does do more harm to the team if that player cant be as good in year 3 as they are in year 10. Kinda like the ohlund sit with the canucks. he's gonna want 5 mill/season and 4-5 years, and thats just not a very good idea for someone who is already slowing down. with a 94,000 roster bonus, plus 180,000 salary claremont was taking up too much cash for his effectiveness.
Check out my lions art http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... =4&t=15940

How does a rider fan spell dynasty????

O N E
Blitz
Team Captain

Wakesbetterthanyou wrote:Having a player on ur team their whole career is nice, but when u think about it it does do more harm to the team if that player cant be as good in year 3 as they are in year 10. Kinda like the ohlund sit with the canucks. he's gonna want 5 mill/season and 4-5 years, and thats just not a very good idea for someone who is already slowing down. with a 94,000 roster bonus, plus 180,000 salary claremont was taking up too much cash for his effectiveness.
Defenses were dictating to us, especially in the playoffs. Take away the deep ball from Simon with safety help, crowd the underneath stuff, and we were in trouble with out passing attack. Here is what Wally had to say, regarding how teams were playing us and why we had to change:

************************************************************************************************

We don't want to give defences the ability to dictate to us. And they have been. I'm going to change that," Buono said.

"And defensively, we've always been about the big play. If you're not getting it, it's a concern. And eventually, you [need] to look at age. You can't age all at the same time. We were doing that. I kept them together for 2008 to win a Cup. I know now it's time to move on, because the pendulum is swinging the wrong way."

Opposing teams were dropping all the hints Buono, or any head coach or GM, could possibly need.

"This is why I said to the [coaches] all season: pay attention, guys, to who they're going after, who they don't show a lot of respect for. Because what they're telling you is what you should be concerned with. The same way we attack teams in areas where we see weaknesses. If you're perceptive, and you notice that, then you have to start there. Because if you don't react, if you put your head in the sand, they're going to continue to beat you."

Clearly, the Clermont release has been his thorniest, and least popular, decision. And it has stung Buono, because he has often been criticized for being too loyal to older players.

"Look, I don't want to be derogatory towards anybody. But if I'm going to say to you that the safety is always favouring Geroy [Simon, in the slot on the opposite side from Clermont], what does that tell you?" Buono said. "Am I telling you something you don't know? Well, if the safety is going weak side, and they're playing man coverage and rushing four guys, and we can't capitalize on it . . . .

"So that's my fault, because I've created that scenario. And now I'm going to change it."
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)