Chris Wilson Signs with Redskins

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

For every Chris Wison that leaves there is an Aaron Hunt waiting in the wings.

Thanks and good luck Chris. ( Bad move unless you need the $$ )
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

OV - 54:40 wrote: Yes - some other examples in the past -
Benefield played for the 49ers for a year - a CFL rush end who was a linebacker but also more a special teams guy down there; Fred Perry made an NFL roster for a bit after having a great year on the Argos D - another quick CFL rush end type.
So Wilson could stick, but IMO his chances are better if he has a good "in" there via the scout or coach who brought him in for TC or thru his agent maybe. Ex-CFLers are in tough from the get-go often though with typical NFL thinkers who will pre-rate them low on the totem pole / depth chart.
Let's not forget Brendon Ayanbadejo who is heading to the Pro Bowl as a Special Teams nominee.

We often question QBs for heading south as there isn't as much difference in money between being an established starter in the CFL and holding a clipboard in the NFL, at least not for the first year or two. But for any other position there's a huge benefits to be reaped if you can just cling to that 53rd active roster spot. All you have to do is make an NFL roster even if only to play special teams and you make a lot more money than you could ever dream of making in the CFL even as a CFL all-star. 2006 entry level minimum NFL salary was US$275,000 and it gets bumped by another 10% for 2007. Entering 2006 with 3 credited years of service as a special teams player and backup LB Ayanbadejo's compensation would far exceed the top paid CFL player salary. Minimum 2006 compensation for players of Ayanbadejo's tenure was US$500,000. If Ayanbadejo was only getting minimum NFL wage he'd be getting another increase in 2007. Veterans with 4 to 6 credited seasons receive a minimum of US$595,000 for 2007. It's no wonder these guys keep trying and trying and trying again to chase that NFL dream.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
OV - 54:40
Champion

Hambone wrote:
OV - 54:40 wrote: Yes - some other examples in the past -
Benefield played for the 49ers for a year - a CFL rush end who was a linebacker but also more a special teams guy down there; Fred Perry made an NFL roster for a bit after having a great year on the Argos D - another quick CFL rush end type.
So Wilson could stick, but IMO his chances are better if he has a good "in" there via the scout or coach who brought him in for TC or thru his agent maybe. Ex-CFLers are in tough from the get-go often though with typical NFL thinkers who will pre-rate them low on the totem pole / depth chart.
Let's not forget Brendon Ayanbadejo who is heading to the Pro Bowl as a Special Teams nominee.

We often question QBs for heading south as there isn't as much difference in money between being an established starter in the CFL and holding a clipboard in the NFL, at least not for the first year or two. But for any other position there's a huge benefits to be reaped if you can just cling to that 53rd active roster spot. All you have to do is make an NFL roster even if only to play special teams and you make a lot more money than you could ever dream of making in the CFL even as a CFL all-star. 2006 entry level minimum NFL salary was US$275,000 and it gets bumped by another 10% for 2007. Entering 2006 with 3 credited years of service as a special teams player and backup LB Ayanbadejo's compensation would far exceed the top paid CFL player salary. Minimum 2006 compensation for players of Ayanbadejo's tenure was US$500,000. If Ayanbadejo was only getting minimum NFL wage he'd be getting another increase in 2007. Veterans with 4 to 6 credited seasons receive a minimum of US$595,000 for 2007. It's no wonder these guys keep trying and trying and trying again to chase that NFL dream.

Yeah - huge money by comparison plus way more prestige to play in the big league in your home country - not the slightest surprised that any player jumps at an NFL shot - even if often it may just be a TC fodder like long-shot.
Tighthead
Legend

Wilson has never struck me as being a good enough tackler to stick in the NFL as a special teamer, but I could be wrong.

He is in tough, no matter what - last year only Jon Ryan and Richard Jeanty made the opening day roster of NFL teams from the CFL. Printers and someone else (OL in Indy?) made the PR. There are probably more or as many guys coming in through the arena league.

I wish Wilson the best of luck, but he could even get cut before training camp. That is no reflection on him, but just the way things work.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Like others have stated, I don't think Chris Wilson will make it as a defensive lineman given his size. A more likely scenario will be as a linebacker or special teams player.
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:That came out of the blue. Perhaps Buono can convinced MacKay-Loescher to stay now that there is a vacancy on the defensive line.
Agreed TLK... MacKay-Loescher would be my first choice if he could be turned from his desire to return east where IIRC he's from.

Chris Wilson was just finding his true potential in the last half of the season and had stellar playoffs, and a large part of why we won the GC. :s:

It grieves me to lose another core player especially the GD NFL :x where he will just languish on the sideline behind three other rush ends allegedly better than him like CP in KC. :bang:

Wish you the best CW! :cr:
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
Blitz
Team Captain

Shocker. I want Foley to start, because it's a good move for our future.
Sure is a shocker! I agree that Wilson played very well towards the end of the season and the Leos patience paid off. However, I also believed McKay deserved more playing time along the way. I'm not sure we can keep McKay, who wants to return East, but a potential starting spot and a new contract could possibly change his mind. McKay was very well liked by teammates and other CFL teams drool over his speed, potential, and NI status. Foley also has excellent potential. Kirk is more of a defensive tackle now and he brings depth to our defensive line....where the rotation of keeping fresh guys in there was very important to the success of our defense in 2006.

If Wilson makes it down south it will be as a special teams player. His speed and althleticism would enable him to play special teams in the NFL. My guess is we'll see Wilson return but there is a chance he could make an NFL roster next season. If I was Wally I'd be working on getting McKay back, if he can, pronto!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Funny how the two local television networks have yet to announce Wilson's departure.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Funny how the two local television networks have yet to announce Wilson's departure.
During hockey season? :sigh:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

They cover golf :?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

There's a four-page thread on the Wilson signing on a Redskins fan forum. There's not much insight there, except for the consensus view that he's too small to play DE in the NFL, but the thread is good for a few chuckles.
http://hailredskins.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=39222
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Interesting comments. Wilson would have been cut already if the fans get to pick the final roster.
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

To them, Wilson is just another CFL export doomed to failure, citing Jesse Lumsden as Exhibit A.

If they're using Lumsden as the high watermark for CFLers, then I can understand their skepticism, however, there still are a number of ex-CFLers kicking around the NFL. Former Lion Brendon Ayanbadejo, ex-Bomber Juran Bolden and current Stampeder Marc Boerigter are the three I listed as being successful CFL exports.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Canuck_4_Life wrote:To them, Wilson is just another CFL export doomed to failure, citing Jesse Lumsden as Exhibit A.

If they're using Lumsden as the high watermark for CFLers, then I can understand their skepticism, however, there still are a number of ex-CFLers kicking around the NFL. Former Lion Brendon Ayanbadejo, ex-Bomber Juran Bolden and current Stampeder Marc Boerigter are the three I listed as being successful CFL exports.
You can add current Redskin/former Blue Bomber, Mike Sellers to that list........it's funny how the fans have forgotten where he came from.
Lloyd
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:
Shocker. I want Foley to start, because it's a good move for our future.
Sure is a shocker! I agree that Wilson played very well towards the end of the season and the Leos patience paid off. However, I also believed McKay deserved more playing time along the way. I'm not sure we can keep McKay, who wants to return East, but a potential starting spot and a new contract could possibly change his mind. McKay was very well liked by teammates and other CFL teams drool over his speed, potential, and NI status. Foley also has excellent potential. Kirk is more of a defensive tackle now and he brings depth to our defensive line....where the rotation of keeping fresh guys in there was very important to the success of our defense in 2006.

If Wilson makes it down south it will be as a special teams player. His speed and althleticism would enable him to play special teams in the NFL. My guess is we'll see Wilson return but there is a chance he could make an NFL roster next season. If I was Wally I'd be working on getting McKay back, if he can, pronto!
Not going to happen.

The issue is a child (a son I believe), that he doesn't get to see, living in BC.

At the Walby's Warriors gig, Brent Johnson told me "he's gone".
Lloyd