Braley and the 'SMS'

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:
Brailey is still being a really bad dude on this, to say the least.
Again.

Story - source = heresay

What is this thread, a contest to see who can channel MFOT most successfully?
I normally agree with your sentiment, but the way Brailey has been doing things the last few yrs makes me believe this very possible.

I dont know why Braily doesnt still own the ticats, but I beleive his ownership of the Lions has way more to do with his own fulfillment and desires than doing Lions\CFL fans any favors. I beleive he has too much ego and seeks to be the big fish in a little pond. If that doesnt work for him, he will dump the lions in a heartbeat. While I am gratefull for his purchase of the Lions at the time, I beleive if he didnt, someone else would have, someone I would like a lot better. I dont feel we owe Brailey any slack when he is being an ass, as he has been with Wright and the whole commissioner\salary cap thing.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
kamfan
Starter

KnowItAll wrote:
cromartie wrote:
Again.

Story - source = heresay

I normally agree with your sentiment, but the way Brailey has been doing things the last few yrs makes me believe this very possible.

I dont know why Braily doesnt still own the ticats, but I beleive his ownership of the Lions has way more to do with his own fulfillment and desires than doing Lions\CFL fans any favors. I beleive he has too much ego and seeks to be the big fish in a little pond. If that doesnt work for him, he will dump the lions in a heartbeat. While I am gratefull for his purchase of the Lions at the time, I beleive if he didnt, someone else would have, someone I would like a lot better. I dont feel we owe Brailey any slack when he is being an ass, as he has been with Wright and the whole commissioner\salary cap thing.
So let me get this straight, because you don't like him, he doesn't deserve to have the truth known? Just convict him on heresay? While this story may very well be right, shouldn't we, as prudent members of society (okay, some of us more prudent than others) wait to start up the lynch mob until we have the facts? One of the negative sides of the internet that I have noticed, is that there is no such thing as sober second thought anymore (or rather very little of it). I, for one, would like to have much better sources for this type of information before I would be sent off on a rant against a public figure that has done much good for us, including putting a Grey Cup winner on the field for us.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

What I am saying is that we already know enough about Brailey from the last couple of yrs for me to have the opinion I have of him, regardless of the facts of this story. However, because of what we supposedly already know and beleive about the way he has conducted himself in being opposed to salary cap and his vendetta against wright, etc, it makes this story more beleivable. As for him putting a Cup winner on the field for us, he did no such thing. First the lions existed and won cups before he got involved, and second, he just paid the bills, Wally and Ackles and the rest of the staff built the latest cup winning team for us, and we will have more cup winning teams after Brailey is long gone. As I said, his involvement with the lions is self serving, he is not doing it for "us"
LFITQ
Team Captain

One slight problem with Lionut's theory and the whole "if the other kids are doing it then my kid can too" argument.

The Lions AREN'T doing it.

Sorry but the Lions have actually been UNDER the assumed cap the last couple of years. The other kids (Riders, Esks, Argos, etc.) haven't.

The only thing Braley is guilty of here is not opening up his PRIVATE records to scrutiny from an outside source.

So Braley hasn't gone over the cap, but others have admittedly done so. Braley doesn't want to open up his books to the league. Suddenly he gets thrown into the same negative grouping as those that have gone over?

Sorry, but in this case, Braley is the one playing by the rules, whereas everyone else has been cheating. Lionut, basically, Braley is doing what you want your kid to do, do the right thing, play by the rules. He isn't using the excuse "but the other kids are doing it". All he's saying is "stay outta my lunch bag, and go pick on the other guys who are cheating."

I don't understand how Braley gets nailed for being the bad guy when he's playing by the rules...
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Lionut
Hall of Famer

Part of the rules, to which the majority of the league agreed, obviously includes opening your books. This applies to everyone -- if the Eskimos, just to pick a random example, say they are under the cap based on the contracts they file with the league office, are you inclined to believe them, or would you be more comfortable with an audit of their books? I fall into the, "trust, but verify" camp.

I would agree that it would be interesting to hear what the Lions have to say about this if and when they are asked about it on the record by a member of the Vancouver sports media...
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever."
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

If Braley is not showing his books, how can anyone say that he is under the cap. How can you know that? Blind faith??
David
Team Captain

Lionut wrote:I would agree that it would be interesting to hear what the Lions have to say about this if and when they are asked about it on the record by a member of the Vancouver sports media...
I wouldn't bank on it, Coach. If history is any indicator, the Sun and the Province both hang up "Gone Fishin' " signs when it comes to the Lions until March/April. :roll:

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Rammer
Team Captain

KnowItAll wrote:If Braley is not showing his books, how can anyone say that he is under the cap. How can you know that? Blind faith??
It is somewhat blind faith, but it is what Wally has stated on a couple of different occasions, and I am sure that he knows the Lions payroll, and secondly that he does tell the truth when he speaks. If he can't tell you directly, he will avoid the answer, something that he hasn't done with that question. This represents a man's honour, and it wouldn't be an item in my estimation that he would bother lying about.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Rammer
Team Captain

JohnHenry wrote:Well, for one, the BC Lions owners name is DAVID BRALEY.

He bought the Lions when nobody else wanted them. All the local billionaires wouldn't touch the Lions with a ten-foot pole. The Lions were losing millions each year and there was talk the league could fold if they lost Vancouver. That is why Braley said he bought the Lions, to keep the league alive because he loves the CFL. It is estimated he has lost $10 to $15 million over the past few years as the Lions owner. The team finally turned a profit last year with the Grey Cup and was probably in the black again this year with strong fan support.

This "blog" by Cox is unsubstantiated. He would never have the guts to publish this rubbish or he would be facing a lawsuit. This is just another in a continuing series of negative smears against the CFL by this writer, who when he has no CFL news, will just make it up.
Cox is a pretty straight shooter for a reporter. I would take his blog as the truth, but not worry too much about it.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:
Again.

Story - source = heresay

Forget it........the Braley bashers will jump on any scrap of unsubstantiated info in order to start the slagging once again.

Jeez.......a one line comment with no quotes/facts or even a timeline of when this supposedly occurred and it is believed 100% as carved in stone truth. :sigh:

Let the crucifixion begin.......
Lloyd
Tighthead
Legend

Cox did publish it - libelous statements on the web are actionable.

If nothing could ever be published based on anonymous sources, a newspaper would be pretty damn dull.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

For a more refreshing take on the state of the league, the Regina Leader-Post interviewed Riders president Jim Hopson last week after league meetings in Las Vegas. He said all eight teams should break even or make money this year and they are getting ready to implement the SMS. He gave no indication that any individual or team is balking at the system.

On a side note, this paragraph jumped out at me.
Some of the items that count in the SMS include players' bonuses, fees that players receive for making appearances on the team's behalf and paying for flights home. Because it's new, the teams need to sort out how they will deal with those new rules.
If that mean that when a merchant such as Rick pays Geroy Simon to make an appearance and Sports and Stuff, it counts toward the SMS, teams could get in trouble by sending players out into the community.

Full article
cromartie
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:If Braley is not showing his books, how can anyone say that he is over the cap. How can you know that? Blind faith??
Fixed that post for you.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:If Braley is not showing his books, how can anyone say that he is over the cap. How can you know that? Blind faith??
Fixed that post for you.
I am proud of you :lol:

Works both ways.

I don't assume he is over.

Just don't like his attitude and conduct about the whole thing.

Its like if cops are looking for a thief, and they want to check you out as you go by, and though you may be innocent, you refuse to co-operate anyhow. Purely assinine. Why reminds me how a guy named Harper ended up getting killed by cops in Winnipeg. Just plain dumb. It is normal to be suspicious about someone who chooses to act suspicious.