New TV deal announced

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Tighthead
Legend

I don't think the CFL would allow the deal if it meant fewer games on TV.

I may be alone in this, but I would like to see more Thursday night games - they help the weekend get rolling.
OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

The way I read it the deal kicks in in 2008, and in 2007 TSN plans to televise 50 games. Perhaps CBC is still in the mix for 2007, and the following year TSN will broadcast every game.
http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com :: Ask me how you can help us raise money for Cancer research and treatment on behalf of CFL fans.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

LFITQ wrote: You mean to tell me, those of you who dislike Walby, you actually are looking forward to more Rod Black and Leif Patterson? Gimme a break! EVERYTHING the CBC had was better than those two. I've seen fishing shows that were more exciting than listening to those two from CTV/TSN.
I could tolerate Rod Black but that Leif Petterson ?????
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

According to William Houston in the Globe (owned by the same company as TSN), the deal is worth $16 million a year and TSN plans to produce all 77 games in HDTV. :thup:
Link here
MacNews
Team Captain

the rouge reveller wrote:wow, what a great day for this league.
:thup:

Professionalism here we come!
BEEECEEE
All Star

B.C.FAN wrote:According to William Houston in the Globe (owned by the same company as TSN), the deal is worth $16 million a year and TSN plans to produce all 77 games in HDTV. :thup:
Link here

80 million :shock:

Isn't this way higher than the previous deal.

The higher the TV revenues the more stable the league is and teams like Ottawa can live with 18,000 - 20,000 crowds.
Formely sfu_guy
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:
2012 Season Ticket Holder
David
Team Captain

Of course, one day after the agreement was reached, the rival sports network Sportsnet is not even carrying the news on its CFL page. :thdn: I get the whole Bell Globemedia - Rogers rivalry thing, but you can't tell me that this isn't a major news story for the league. link here

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Lionut
Hall of Famer

Welcome to the new age of corporate media - these guys regard each other as business competitors more than ever, so as a result they won't acknowledge each others' existence publicly. As you have noted, it gets downright ridiculous at times. In an episode similar to this story, I read an article in the Globe recently talking about "a Toronto newspaper" that reported a story regarding fundraising irregularities at MADD. That "Toronto newspaper" was the Toronto Star, of course, and it was a huge story they broke, but of course you get strung up by the short and curlies if you mention the competition's name in print.
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever."
LFITQ
Team Captain

And the Grey cup may not be out of the woods for those not on cable.

TSN is still going to carry the Grey Cup no matter what, but they have said that CTV may have a simulcast.

And I love how TSN has said this in the Toronto Star:
King said TSN will air all 77 games and try to create another version
of its popular Friday night package, possibly on Thursday or Saturday
evenings.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
cromartie
Hall of Famer

TSN is still going to carry the Grey Cup no matter what, but they have said that CTV may have a simulcast.
That's probably smart. And if were TSN/CTV, I'd try to put together a CFL package on CTV on a bad ratings night as well.

In fact, personally, I'd be tempted to move the FNF package to CTV, and setup Saturdays on TSN.
Tighthead
Legend

the problem with FNF on CTV would be in the fall, when they are committed to showing programming that they have already paid big bucks for - things like House or Law and Order (not that they are on Fridays). That is why BCTV etc have no interest in picking up a package of the Canucks games.

If games are shown on CTV, I bet they are "TSN on CTV", just like all ABC sports is going under the ESPN banner.

I would love a Thursday night package.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Tighthead wrote:the problem with FNF on CTV would be in the fall, when they are committed to showing programming that they have already paid big bucks for - things like House or Law and Order (not that they are on Fridays). That is why BCTV etc have no interest in picking up a package of the Canucks games.

If games are shown on CTV, I bet they are "TSN on CTV", just like all ABC sports is going under the ESPN banner.

I would love a Thursday night package.
The same problem applies to CTV everyday. I was just trying to think of the one in the fall with the worst ratings. Likely, Friday.

Alternately, they could do a Sunday package and compete against Global's airing of the NFL.
Bosco
Team Captain

cromartie wrote:[
Alternately, they could do a Sunday package and compete against Global's airing of the NFL.
I wouldn't be too quick to dive into these waters. It's one thing to schedule the odd game on a Sunday - but I don't think that the league / TSN would want a major package designed around Sunday afternoon football. The competition on September / October (NFL) is just toooooo big.