Grey Cup MVP: Dave Dickenson, Canadian: Paul McCallum

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

In fact, I wonder if a CDN has EVER won MVP of the Grey Cup since there was a MVP Canadian player award introduced? Robbie?
Probably not but there was no one out there tonight that stood out like Ben Cahoon did. It wasn't just his number of catches and his yardage. It was also how difficult the catches were that he made and how tough he was after each catch. A courageous, gutsy effort by Cahoon...one that I'll remember for a long time...he almost individually willed and inspired Montreal's comeback attempt!!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
tedbear
Starter

LFITQ wrote:tedbear, that is how we had it at my place. However, as one person put it, how can you have McCallum as MVP and being CDN, not also be Top Canadian? As they tend to want to spread the awards around (well at least these ones) it's not likely going to happen.

In fact, I wonder if a CDN has EVER won MVP of the Grey Cup since there was a MVP Canadian player award introduced? Robbie?
You make a great point if I guess if he was top player he would also have to be top Canadian. Just thought Cahoon had a great game but hey so did DD and Paul.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

LFITQ wrote:However, as one person put it, how can you have McCallum as MVP and being CDN, not also be Top Canadian? As they tend to want to spread the awards around (well at least these ones) it's not likely going to happen.
You remember the fiasco in 1994? Lui Passaglia and Sean Millington were both Canadians. At first, CBC announced Passaglia was MVP while Millington was Top Canadian. But then, Karl Anthony of Baltimore was named MVP, whiel Passaglia was "demoted" to Top Canadian, while Millington was left to nothing.
Last edited by Robbie on Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

LFITQ wrote:In fact, I wonder if a CDN has EVER won MVP of the Grey Cup since there was a MVP Canadian player award introduced? Robbie?
Since the CFL changed the Grey Cup award format from three awards (Best Offensive, Best Defensive, Best Canadian) to two awards (MVP, Best Canadian) starting in 1991, there haven't been any Canadian MVP's.

Several times in the past, when the winning team didn't have any great Canadians, the league was "forced" to choose a top Canadian from the losing team. Such examples occurred in 2004 when Jason Clermont was chosen as Top Canadian in a losing cause, as well as Ben Cahoon in 2003 and Dave Sapunjis in 1991 and 1995.
Rammer
Team Captain

Robbie wrote:
LFITQ wrote:However, as one person put it, how can you have McCallum as MVP and being CDN, not also be Top Canadian? As they tend to want to spread the awards around (well at least these ones) it's not likely going to happen.
You remember the fiasco in 1994? Lui Passaglia and Sean Millington were both Canadians. At first, CBC announced Passaglia was MVP while Millinton was Top Canadian. But then, Karl Anthony of Baltimore was named MVP, whiel Passaglia was "demoted" to Top Canadiank, while Millington was left to nothing.
Yes I do recall that 94 'fiasco', and was the immediate situation that came to mind on the award. It indicates that the MVP could be a Canadian and then have a seperate player as Top Canadian, but it would have to be the two best players on the day.

Just because noone has done so at this point, both Glatt and Floyd had good days as well. Floyd with Glatt's forced fumble recovery, the closeline hit on Cobourne (sp), along with a solid game. Then Glatt had the aforementioned forced fumble, and the recovery of Hunts forced fumble.
Entertainment value = an all time low
LFITQ
Team Captain

Yes Shannon was quite pleased while wearing her Glatt jersey ...
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Javier Glatt had eight tackles and 1 forced fumble. Was probably the best individual contributor on Defence.

McCallum as MVP

Glatt as OCP
Robbie
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:Javier Glatt had eight tackles and 1 forced fumble. Was probably the best individual contributor on Defence.

McCallum as MVP

Glatt as OCP
Yeah, Javier Glatt was probably a better candidate for Top Canadian or even MVP. But defensive players are rarely chose for MVP. Since the MVP award was introduced in 1991, the only time it has been awarded to a defensive player was incidentally, the only time it was awarded to someone from the losing team: Baltimore's Karl Anthony in 1994. Between 1974 and 1990 inclusive, best offensive and defensive players were chose. Before 1974, the only defensive player to win MVP was Charlie Brandon in 1973 for the Ottawa Rough Riders.
David
Team Captain

After sleeping on this at looking at it in the cold light of day, I would agree with Cromartie that Glatt deserved MVP and McCallum as Canadian. That said, I could also have lived with Cahoon as top Canadian (if you buy into him being a Canadian in the first place that is). I thought that while Dave was alert and took what the defense gave him, he was arguably better in the 2004 Grey Cup game.

I have a feeling that we'll see Glatt flying leap for many years to come. That will be the defining moment of the 2006 Grey Cup.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Rammer
Team Captain

David wrote:After sleeping on this at looking at it in the cold light of day, I would agree with Cromartie that Glatt deserved MVP and McCallum as Canadian. That said, I could also have lived with Cahoon as top Canadian (if you buy into him being a Canadian in the first place that is). I thought that while Dave was alert and took what the defense gave him, he was arguably better in the 2004 Grey Cup game.

I have a feeling that we'll see Glatt flying leap for many years to come. That will be the defining moment of the 2006 Grey Cup.

DH 8)
Remember that DD also ran for 53 huge yards, extending drives, besides his passing yardage. In a hard fought game, those first downs were the difference in the end. But I am on with Glatt's big game, just more difficult to gauge a defensive players overall contribution.
Entertainment value = an all time low
cromartie
Hall of Famer

I would agree with Cromartie that Glatt deserved MVP and McCallum as Canadian
For the record:

McCallum as MVP

Glatt as OCP
Robbie
Hall of Famer

According to the Arctic Spas online poll on the Lions web page:

http://www.bclions.com/modules.php?op=m ... &pollID=81&

More people felt that Paul McCallum deserved Grey Cup MVP over Dave Dickenson.

I think in most situations where a team wins, there is always more bias for the quarterback over any other player, even if other players perhaps performed better. An exception is the 2000 Grey Cup where I believe Robert Drummond was correctly voted as game MVP over Damon Allen. However, such was not the case in the 1985 Grey Cup for best offensive player.

Repeating a note that I made about the 1985 Grey Cup at:
http://www.lionbackers.com/cheer/viewto ... 5&start=15

While Dewalt's 14-28-0-394 passing stats were okay, he only completed half his passes. That said, perhaps Sandusky's 6-135 catches and 1 touchdown or Armour's 3-151 catches for two touchdowns warranted either of them Most Valuable Offensive Player over Dewalt.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Perhaps the national media that did the voting viewed the game differently than Lions fans that expect a lot from Dickenson every time he steps onto the field.
Believe me, I was frusterated at times too on Sunday, but we have also been spoiled at the level of play when the offence is firing on all cylinders over the last 4 years.

For a guy coming off a concussion... he laid it all on the line with a number of courageous runs.... diving head first to ensure the yardsticks would be moved... especially in the 4th quarter when the outcome was still in doubt.

He was the Lions MVP of the playoffs so even though there is debate on who should have got it for the Grey Cup.... it was only fitting it went to #12.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Does the league not award player of the week honours for the Grey Cup?
Those awards are different from the Grey Cup MVP and OCP, neither of which is normally awarded to a defensive player or lineman.

Here are my picks, based on the standard categories:
Offensive Player of the Week: Ben Cahoon
Defensive Player of the Week: Javy Glatt
Lineman of the Week: Tyrone Williams (tough choice, many candidates)
Special Teams Player of the Week: Paul McCallum
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Will there also be a player of the month for November?