2018 All Things Lions Marketing & Promotions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

louharris74 wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:11 pm
Another fallout of the Lions overpricing the Sideline seats is that long time season ticket holders, like Huge Talent, get fed up and then downgrade to lower priced season tickets i.e. from Coaches Sideline to Red Zone. If they made the Sideline category prices a better deal he wouldn't have downgraded. Pretty stupid in my opinion.
I'm one of those long time ST holders and have no plans to downgrade from my Prime Sideline to Red Zone. And I do that knowing I won't be at the exhibition game and will miss anywhere from 1 to 3 regular season games. Now if they dropped the $749 Sidelines to something halfway between my $769 Prime Sideline and the $569 Red Zone I very well would have considered downgrading. They still do well on what are now Prime Sideline seats. $769 to sit between the 45s is good value IMO. Those same seats would run me $930 in Calgary (includes playoff game), $723 in Edmonton (includes playoff game), $929 in Regina (includes playoff game), $839 or $1137 in Winnipeg (tough to figure their chart out but it includes playoff game). When I've had friends talking about coming to a game I've gone into Ticketmaster to see if there are any seats close to mine they might be able to buy. The one time 4 friends were able to buy seats in the same row but most of the time it's scattered pairs or singles in 242. Obviously even though seats are empty they are still sold as STs. The pair beside myself and my buddy were empty half the season but held by ST holders.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
louharris74
Rookie

Hambone wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:04 pm
louharris74 wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:11 pm
Another fallout of the Lions overpricing the Sideline seats is that long time season ticket holders, like Huge Talent, get fed up and then downgrade to lower priced season tickets i.e. from Coaches Sideline to Red Zone. If they made the Sideline category prices a better deal he wouldn't have downgraded. Pretty stupid in my opinion.
I'm one of those long time ST holders and have no plans to downgrade from my Prime Sideline to Red Zone. And I do that knowing I won't be at the exhibition game and will miss anywhere from 1 to 3 regular season games. Now if they dropped the $749 Sidelines to something halfway between my $769 Prime Sideline and the $569 Red Zone I very well would have considered downgrading. They still do well on what are now Prime Sideline seats. $769 to sit between the 45s is good value IMO. Those same seats would run me $930 in Calgary (includes playoff game), $723 in Edmonton (includes playoff game), $929 in Regina (includes playoff game), $839 or $1137 in Winnipeg (tough to figure their chart out but it includes playoff game). When I've had friends talking about coming to a game I've gone into Ticketmaster to see if there are any seats close to mine they might be able to buy. The one time 4 friends were able to buy seats in the same row but most of the time it's scattered pairs or singles in 242. Obviously even though seats are empty they are still sold as STs. The pair beside myself and my buddy were empty half the season but held by ST holders.
I think there are a lot of season ticket holders who have downgraded from Sideline & Prime Sideline seats (formerly Coaches Sideline) to the cheaper Red Zone seats ... I know two such guys who I work with.

O.K., so maybe price the (now) Sideline seats at say $69 or $70 per seat. So, even if someone like yourself downgraded to those seats (from Prime Sideline) they only lose $70 or even $50. Diehards like yourself likely won't do that anyways, you are willing to pay for the absolute best seats in the house.

I have a very hard time believing that most of those empty Sideline seats are sold to season ticket holders who just don't bother to show up for the games. The optics of having so many of those seats unoccupied for most games is terrible, both on TV and even more so in the stadium. I don't know how many times I have heard young casual fans say "wow, this place is empty". And the higher priced tickets cover from 20 yard line to 20 yard line, so almost all of the good seats are $75 per game or more (for season ticket holders) ... and of course even more for the casual fan who last year had to pay like $85 or more per game just to sit say at the 30 yard line. Why would I pay $85 to be able to sit at the 30 yard line when I can pay $55 to sit at the 20 yard line.

Hard to compare the Vancouver market right now with Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg and especially Saskatchewan. And including a playoff game, if there is one, in the season ticket holder package price, is damn smart in my opinion. That to me is the best way to reward season ticket holders instead of all the stuff that a lot of people don't want / give a damn about. And of course to ensure a full house if there is a playoff game.
louharris74
Rookie

I just checked ... single game tickets last year for Coaches Sideline, so anywhere between the 20 yard lines, were priced at $94 per ticket. How the heck are you going to attract a casual fan to sit at the 30 yard line for almost $100, or pushing $200 for a couple. Of course people are just going to stay home and watch the game on their big screen TV.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

I can't complain too much about the Lions promotions and marketing. I received a message from Bosco a couple hours ago. While neither of us have received official confirmation from the club it appears from the link on their website that he and I account for 2 of the 3 winners of today's draw on the 12 Plays of Giveaways for renewing our season tickets. Today's prize was getting our 2019 STs for free! A very nice early Christmas present from the Lions.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:52 pm
I can't complain too much about the Lions promotions and marketing. I received a message from Bosco a couple hours ago. While neither of us have received official confirmation from the club it appears from the link on their website that he and I account for 2 of the 3 winners of today's draw on the 12 Plays of Giveaways for renewing our season tickets. Today's prize was getting our 2019 STs for free! A very nice early Christmas present from the Lions.
Congratulations. I’ve been closely watching the daily winners’ list. I’m hoping for one of the final two prizes, an Operation Orange trip or a trip to the Grey Cup in Calgary. I’ve never won anything from the Lions. I must be due by now.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:48 pm
Congratulations. I’ve been closely watching the daily winners’ list. I’m hoping for one of the final two prizes, an Operation Orange trip or a trip to the Grey Cup in Calgary. I’ve never won anything from the Lions. I must be due by now.
Thanks! Winning something from the Lions was a first for me. I procrastinated on renewing until a couple days after returning from Grey Cup so missed out on the first 2 or 3 draws including the 12 person suite which would have been my biggest hope. I wasn't fence sitting on renewing. Just hadn't found that round tuit thing.

Good luck on the remaining draws BCF!
Huge Talent
Starter

Hambone wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:52 pm
Congrats Hambone! That's awesome!

Might make going to games that much sweeter next season.

We are contemplating going back to Alberta for the Grey Cup, so that trip would obviously seal the deal. Fingers crossed. If I don't win, I hope it goes to a long time supporter on here.

HT
David
Team Captain

This is the kind of publicity that money can't buy. Celebrity endorsement. I am sure some of you may roll your eyes and say, "so what?!?" But if this is organization has any hope of connecting with a younger audience, social media moments like this count.

(and yes, BC Lions' twitter account has seized on this plug during the Thursday night NFL game, tweeting about it several times. I guess you could say they've had multiple eargasms). :wink:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Nice to see a local guy make good and remember his roots.

Vancouver and the Lions.

VancityReynolds :thup:

B.C. Lions :thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Only loosely related as they play out ofthe same facility but I see the MLS is revamping their schedule and shortening the season by going to single game playoffs instead of 2 game total point. Championship game will be in early November instead of early December. I presume the regular season will still start at the same time but might end 3 or 4 weeks earlier meaning Whitecaps home dates will fit into a slightly narrower window.