2011 Western Final Ticket Count

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

almo89
Legend

I think the marketing for Western Finals in general have not been great for the Lions. It seems like they always believe that the game will sell itself out. I would like to see a more aggressive marketing strategy. The die hards will always be there. They need to target the fence sitters.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Yikes, and that's coming from the Lions communications director??? How about trying to sell the atmosphere of being at a do or die playoff game.
I do think the ticket pricing configuration for BC Place will come under serious scrutiny but more like next season rather than for a Western Final. The fact is costs the same ($85) to sit 10 rows up from midfield at the 55-yard as it does to sit in row ZZ in level 4 from the same position on the field is ridiculous. There is no price break on any of the level 4 sections compared to level 2 which is just crazy. Maybe you can get away with it around the first five rows near the balcony but not to the very last row. Even the Canucks can't get away with that.
Also shrinking the number of the cheapest end zone seats and jacking up corner end zone by $15 (now $45) was not a wise idea as well.
almo89
Legend

SammyGreene wrote:Yikes, and that's coming from the Lions communications director??? How about trying to sell the atmosphere of being at a do or die playoff game.
I do think the ticket pricing configuration for BC Place will come under serious scrutiny but more like next season rather than for a Western Final. The fact is costs the same ($85) to sit 10 rows up from midfield at the 55-yard as it does to sit in row ZZ in level 4 from the same position on the field is ridiculous. There is no price break on any of the level 4 sections compared to level 2 which is just crazy. Maybe you can get away with it around the first five rows near the balcony but not to the very last row. Even the Canucks can't get away with that.
Also shrinking the number of the cheapest end zone seats and jacking up corner end zone by $15 (now $45) was not a wise idea as well.
I agree totally. I think they got a little greedy thinking the new stadium hype would be exactly the same as when BC Place first opened in 1983. They should definitely look into making the double letter rows into a different, more affordable pricing category.
g-roy
Rookie

I sure miss Bobby Ackles, he would always be on the radio giving updates on ticket sales during the playoffs.

I agree tickets are not cheap.Just for those of you that may not know, you can purchase tickets from the Lions practice Facility in Surrey which is open everyday. When you buy tickets directly from the Lions you do not pay service charges. You still pay the facility fee which IS $2. So you can go to the game for $35 + $2= $37. There are still plenty of tickets left at this price range.

I still think we will have a crowd between 44000- 48000. Still a lot better than in 2005 when we hosted the grey cup and had 37000 fans for the western final. With capacity now only being 52500, the atmosphere in the dome should be pretty good. Go Lions Go. :beer:
lionsfan336
prospect

hey guys new menber here! just thought id say somthing about the ticket prices. i am a season ticket holder from kamloops that share them with a family relative so only have 4 games a year but i always ended up going to the ones i dont have any way just walking up and buying a ticket, and of corse will be at the west final as well as greycup. the ticket prices are a little higher compared to years past but it just doesnt bother me and im no millionaire by any means. it is always a great time and money well spent in my opinion, and i think it is such a better bang for your buck for thoses fence sitter fans than paying 100$ or more to see a canucks game. when bc place is at capacity or close to it, it is somthing awsome to be a part of. i am also a little disipointed with the lower ticket sales an totally agree they should be pumping up this game and advertising more, and absolutly love the idea that was said early about showing a clip of the few years ago western final with the crowd and derian durant getting frustrated, just priceless. just my 2 cents.

cheers matt
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Climbing towards the magical 40,000 mark.....
News1130Sports: 36,000 tickets sold for Western final. Crowd could be anywhere from 45-50,000.
Rammer
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:Climbing towards the magical 40,000 mark.....
News1130Sports: 36,000 tickets sold for Western final. Crowd could be anywhere from 45-50,000.
Ambitious to think that the 50K mark will be reached, even 45K with just 3 1/2 days of sales to go.
Entertainment value = an all time low
David
Team Captain

This is encouraging. Hitting 40K is the key. That's when they really need to get the word out.

C'mon Lions. You treated the September 30th BCP opener as an EVENT. Sarah McLaughlin sang the anthem, you gave away a car courtesy of Nissan, and there was pomp and ceremony. I know you're staging a pretty big event the following week, but from where I sit, the West Final is being treated as just another game. Well, except for the obligatory "Have you got your tickets? #54K strong" tweets. ***rolls eyes***

Time to pony up for the fence-sitters to build excitement and show some value. You've had 2 weeks to plan this.

I'd be calling up every minor football association in Greater Vancouver and the Island right now and negotiating a great 'group rate.' Get creative.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Rammer
Team Captain

David wrote:This is encouraging. Hitting 40K is the key. That's when they really need to get the word out.

C'mon Lions. You treated the September 30th BCP opener as an EVENT. Sarah McLaughlin sang the anthem, you gave away a car courtesy of Nissan, and there was pomp and ceremony. I know you're staging a pretty big event the following week, but from where I sit, the West Final is being treated as just another game. Well, except for the obligatory "Have you got your tickets? #54K strong" tweets. ***rolls eyes***

Time to pony up for the fence-sitters to build excitement and show some value. You've had 2 weeks to plan this.

I'd be calling up every minor football association in Greater Vancouver and the Island right now and negotiating a great 'group rate.' Get creative.

DH :cool:
WDF being treated as just another event, except for the ticket price of course.
Entertainment value = an all time low
bc49
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:WDF being treated as just another event, except for the ticket price of course.
If you had to keep the Argo's afloat you might be tempted to push your luck in a stronger market!
Okay so that probably doesn't factor into anything.
I don't even want to know how much money that train wreck at skytomb lost this season.

I have forgotten if an owner (community or private) receives substantial money from hosting a Grey Cup.
I seem to recall that they do.
Assuming this is the case and all things stay the same Mr. Braley should do quite well with back to back hosting duties.
Deserved and earned.
Big Time
Champion

I believe the host team of the Grey Cup actually purchases the event outright from the league. They assume all the costs associated with staging the event and they receive all the profits. The price tag to purchase is quite high but it allows the team to turn a fairly nice profit if it's done well and sells out (which lately has not been an issue).

I don't know if it's changed since a few years ago so someone can correct me of I'm wrong.
mrbigglesworth
prospect

SammyGreene wrote:Climbing towards the magical 40,000 mark.....
With 36K sold now, this current pace puts us on track for 42K + walkup. 45K seems like an upper limit IMO at the moment.

Not bad but I hope the Lions seriously overhaul their marketing strategy / marketing personnel in the off-season. What a missed opportunity this WDF seems to be.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Didn't Sam Roberts play halftime in Montreal last Sunday? Impressive given the short window the Alouettes had to organize that game. As David suggests, the game has to become an event to make it more than just a diehard football crowd.

The Canucks don't play until after the WF now so really there is nothing standing in the Lions way. They should be front and centre with the media over the next two days, leading up to kickoff. It would help if they would get a little creative. Declaring it B.C. Lions week with Geroy and Travis raising the flag at city hall wouldn't have been a bad start.