Official 2008-09 Vancouver Canucks Season Thread

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Robbie
Hall of Famer

Lionheart wrote:
Robbie wrote:For the first time since 1978, there is a rematch of the finalists last season.
'84 Robbie
Ooops. Rematch between Oilers vs. Islanders. I stand corrected. :oops:
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

There's been some mention about Canadian-based NHL teams before. Even though I've indicated that I don't see NHL teams as Canada vs. USA, here's a thought. The Detroit Red Wings now have a 3-2 lead in the series. Of all the American-based NHL cities, Detroit is the one that's closest to the Canadian border. And Detroit is also the only major American city that looks down south towards Canada as it looks south towards Windsor ON. Also, it's team colours of red and white are the exact team colors of Canada's flag. Therefore, are the Detroit Red Wings considered Canada's seventh team? :canada:
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Robbie wrote:I'm sure there's many out there who hope that this is the only trophy the Red Wings will get.
And there's many of us who hope that was only the start of the Red Wing's 2009 trophy collection. :wink:

Hambone
Detroit Red Wing fan since Joe Kapp was QB of the Lions.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:There's been some mention about Canadian-based NHL teams before. Even though I've indicated that I don't see NHL teams as Canada vs. USA, here's a thought. The Detroit Red Wings now have a 3-2 lead in the series. Of all the American-based NHL cities, Detroit is the one that's closest to the Canadian border. And Detroit is also the only major American city that looks down south towards Canada as it looks south towards Windsor ON. Also, it's team colours of red and white are the exact team colors of Canada's flag. Therefore, are the Detroit Red Wings considered Canada's seventh team? :canada:
North of Windsor. Geographically, more Canadian than Windsor? Except for the accidents of history, colonialism, war and politics, Detroit could be Canadian. It has a French name which would make it welcome with some of the habitants of the north.

Perhaps we should invade the U.S. to capture Detroit, or is it still worth the battle, in view of the decline of GM and the automobile industry?
:wink:
Robbie
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:Perhaps we should invade the U.S. to capture Detroit, or is it still worth the battle, in view of the decline of GM and the automobile industry?
Detroit has always been listed in the top 5 of the most dangerous cities in America. Also if Canada invades Detroit, which city's football team gets to keep their name as unlike previous cases, both teams are called and spelled as LIONS. Perhaps it's best to leave Detroit alone.
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Former long time ;canucks: coach Marc Crawford has found new employment as head coach of the Dallas :dizzy: .

Congratulations to :crow: .
祝你龍年行大運。
Soundy
Hall of Famer

(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

Awesome!!! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Real women wear orange!!
Soundy
Hall of Famer

See, there IS still *Canucks* news to be had!
Sedins Want $63 Mil: Report
A report from a Swedish newspaper suggests Canuck forwards Daniel and Henrik Sedin are asking for 12 year contracts worth $63 million EACH to stay in Vancouver. They are both unrestricted free agents. Sports at :15 and :45.
Tune into News1130 for the very latest on this story, or visit News1130.com
$63M over 12 years averages out to a mere $5.25M/year, which is not bad for point-a-game players, and certainly a lot less than the $6M-$6.5M they could get elsewhere.
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Agreed but at 29, a 12 year term seems a bit odd.

I doubt either of them will be a point a game players five or six years from now and since they really only want to play together, I can see a no trade clause in this as well.

Even if you can trade them, you might have a hard time find a team that can absorb a 10 million dollar hit to a salary cap.

I think they are honestly trying to stay here otherwise they would be demanding a million more each per year. If they can get them down to about 8 years, then it might be more realistic. Maybe offer them a bit more as compensation for the shorter term.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Hawkballer 14
Champion

Front-load the contracts, limit the no-trade clause to five years and send the contracts to the Sedin's reps. :cr:

Really wanted to reach through the radio and punch Don Taylor in the face today. :bang: Dude plays the jaded old fogie way better than Pratt.

The twins walk, the odds that Lou re-signs goes from 50/50 to 0. Which would make me want to vomit. Repeatedly. Besides, who on the UFA market can match their production?
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Too bad Ryan Kesler didn't win the Selke Trophy as it went to Pavel Datsyuk.

And ladies, do you think Roberto Luongo looks very hot and handsome? Unfortunately, he's taken.

ImageImage
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

After captaining Team Sweden to a gold medal in the 2006 Winter Olympics. Mats Sundin has decided that he will not play again in the 2010 Olympics. With Markus Naslund leaving the Canucks and then retiring, there will be less of a conflict-of-interest when it comes to deciding which team to cheer for in the 2010 Winter Olympics.

But assuming that the Sedins are re-signed by the Canucks and both of them along with Ohlund play for Team Sweden again.....which team should I cheer for? :juggle: :hypno:

祝你龍年行大運。
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Robbie.... please, do you really think it's Matts' choice whether or not he plays for Sweden?

C'mon Robbie...
Robbie
Hall of Famer

I'd say he certainly had a choice, and the Swedish government may have totally endorsed him should he decide to captain the team again.
祝你龍年行大運。